Paper chart from ~Cabo San Lucas to ~San Diego

Attestations:

I have tried.

I am somewhat lazy.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Background:

I'm old school; I like paper charts. I like to unfold them to see the whole trip. What is (if there is) the NOAA chart for the West Coast of Baja California, and who prints them. I DON'T want a cart book, I DON'T want and e-chart, I DON'T want Green Eggs and Ham. I WANT a real PAPER chart of the WHOLE coast.

Thank you!

/rant off

Okay Boomer. If you want the real thing the real way go find the Yellow Pages for San Diego or Long Beach or New York or.... Look under Chart Agent or something. Dial the number on your rotary phone. If you don't reach a real person write a letter with your request.

I appreciate the help.

Please do not understand. Gulf (golfo) of california is the East COast of Baja. I have googled the heck out of "San Diego Yellow Pages" and the most recent is 1993. None of the listed chart agents have a working number, but I did find a place to buy tropical fish, get my taxes done, invest my money from Nigeria and ge a 'happy ending' massage'. Minney's maybe. Tough to justify a plane ticket to see if they have a 1969 chart that I might want. While the 1983 chart with Omega lines might be helpful... I have one with Loran lines on my boat.

Looking for something more helpful.

I think you've passed 'somewhat lazy' and gone straight to irredeemable luddite presuming on the kindness of others. Ishmael put you right next to the answer, one click away:

https://www.weilbach.com/products/soekort/admirality-charts/america-nw/pod-1029-punta-abreojos-san-di

https://www.weilbach.com/products/soekort/admirality-charts/america-nw/pod-1028-cabo-falso-punta-abre

• Like 1

I still keep paper charts around.  Obviously it can be pricey trying to keep them updated, but something (even older) is better than nothing in an emergency?  I only keep a subset of what I think would be useful in an emergency and no more than ~5 years old.  The one chunk of dead tree that I have found handy the most although is the trusty old USCG Coast Pilot for the appropriate region.

Anyway - I have a solid memory from 30 years ago during Southern Straits up here in PNW/Canada and a boat got hit by lightning in the middle of the night.  Blew out all their electronics, including the nav lights.  They were a bit panicked - they had that newfangled 'GPS' stuff and everything onboard :) and seemed to think it was some kind of big deal when none of it was working anymore.  Mad Max was the boat name, an old IOR 1-ton or something, I can't quite recall.

The US Navy also reverted about 10 years ago to requiring training with celestial again instead of expecting to always have GPS available.

Things happen, right?  Just a matter of everybody doing their own risk-benefit analysis.

I know all the pro's of paper.. That is why I have a colour laser printer on board...  Great to print out maps from Electronic Versions... 

Now regarding Mexico...  Many of the paper charts are from the late 1800's with additions from the 1960's..... (including jpg of chart 21005 as an example...)

Having a more 'modern' with user corrections electronic chart may be of value...  Definitely if one can use something like OpenCPN and a google earth satellite overlay....   I understand the situation is similar with respect to reefs in the French Polynesia Area...

(RANT ALERT)

I think it is tragic that we know the surface of the moon and Mars better then we know our little collection of rocks dumped in the sea that we call Earth.

worse.. is the concept of NOT making all the charts freely available for ALL mariners...  Hopefully in the future it shall be easy to add in tracks and observations of previous sailors to a global open source map of the ocean.

(END RANT)

21005.png

• Like 1

The government charts of Baja are useless. The amount of useful information on that large sheet of paper is miniscule. A book like Charlies Charts is infinitely more useful and accurate. And it is real paper for Boomer.

Do NOT chintz out on Baja charts.....I personally know of at least 9 'areas' & 'things' that will kill your boat quicker than you can make a pot of Uncle Ben's minute rice. Then add in the small fact that at least 85% of the West side of Baja is pretty much devoid of people, help, supplies, beers, hardware stores & taco stands.....you REALLY wanna do this 740 mile leg correctly and not cut corners. I know some youngins think getting stranded on a deserted 'tropical beach' sounds really cool and kinda Daniel Dafoe'y-ish....but trust me, it's not. And I could point you to more than a few crosses stuck in the ground along Baja's 1100 miles of Western coastline to prove it.....

On 4/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, longy said:

Minneys of Newport Bch used to carry a lot of charts

Last time I was in there, the old charts were about a buck each and dated as far back as post WWII.....and the new charts were pushing twenty bucks a pop....

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Do NOT chintz out on Baja charts.....I personally know of at least 9 'areas' & 'things' that will kill your boat quicker than you can make a pot of Uncle Ben's minute rice. Then add in the small fact that at least 85% of the West side of Baja is pretty much devoid of people, help, supplies, beers, hardware stores & taco stands.....you REALLY wanna do this 740 mile leg correctly and not cut corners. I know some youngins think getting stranded on a deserted 'tropical beach' sounds really cool and kinda Daniel Dafoe'y-ish....but trust me, it's not. And I could point you to more than a few crosses stuck in the ground along Baja's 1100 miles of Western coastline to prove it.....

Sail Offshore at night, inshore during the day!  Or is it the other way around?  Fuck, I’m so confused, I think I’ll have another drink!  

On 4/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, Caca Cabeza said:

I appreciate the help.

Please do not understand. Gulf (golfo) of california is the East COast of Baja. I have googled the heck out of "San Diego Yellow Pages" and the most recent is 1993. None of the listed chart agents have a working number, but I did find a place to buy tropical fish, get my taxes done, invest my money from Nigeria and ge a 'happy ending' massage'. Minney's maybe. Tough to justify a plane ticket to see if they have a 1969 chart that I might want. While the 1983 chart with Omega lines might be helpful... I have one with Loran lines on my boat.

Looking for something more helpful.

You can get the paper chart(s) you want here:

https://www.nauticalchartsonline.com/charts/NGA/Central-South-America