Doing more home renos and one (expensive) thing on the list is (are?)shutters. Wood shutters are apparently about 30% more than vinyl. Worth the difference in price?

Just for function: Vinyl. To look good in a room with other wood surfaces: Wood. I prefer wooden blinds...hoisted out of sight. But maybe that does suit your needs.

45 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Really...?

ed73f26bf3037631ad373f4c484c0560--photo-

What would that look like in Vinyl?....

Porta Potty Rental in Texas: Rent Yours Here! Call (512) 807-0636

• Like 3

I can tell you that certain woods will hold up much better, and look much better for much longer than Vinyl. or PVC. or ABS.

WRC (clear no sap) RedWood (Clear no sap), AWC (Clear no sap), Cypress. Silverbali. Angelique, Teak, Mahogany(Central American.... Although the African will work too. just different), Catalalpa. Mulberry (White would be better, but red will work) Black locust, Osage Ornge, White Oak. Even clear heart eastern White Pine, if it's primed and painted will all outlast Vinyl.

9 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I can tell you that certain woods will hold up much better, and look much better for much longer than Vinyl. or PVC. or ABS.

WRC (clear no sap) RedWood (Clear no sap), AWC (Clear no sap), Cypress. Silverbali. Angelique, Teak, Mahogany(Central American.... Although the African will work too. just different), Catalalpa. Mulberry (White would be better, but red will work) Black locust, Osage Ornge, White Oak. Even clear heart eastern White Pine, if it's primed and painted will all outlast Vinyl.

I think that they use aspen. We want to have white shutters but a matte/satin appearance and not blinding white. With wood they spray them and have a wide range of whites. The vinyl ones look a little plasticy which I guess is not a surprise. 

Aspen has almost no rot resistance If they're coated with CPES before painting they will hold up better. Still, I'd rather have WRC or Redwood.

I'm a retired contractor. I doubt aspen because it doesn't do well in the elements. We are talking exterior shutters, right?  Shutters are typically cedar or pine btw. Sugar pine used to be real popular as an exterior wood and it's more of a whitish blond color.  But it's really hard to beat vinyl. They look fine from a distance and no one really looks at shutters anyway. Use Krylon Fusion if you want to change the color. It is absolutely amazing on most plastics

One problem w/ vinyl is that it sags, it becomes chalky and brittle, and spiders seem to be particularly fond of it.... And it looks like plastic.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

One problem w/ vinyl is that it sags, it becomes chalky and brittle, and spiders seem to be particularly fond of it.... And it looks like plastic.

Sondes licke five probelms............            :)

10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sondes licke five probelms............            :)

4 really.The other 3 were  free bonuses. :D

1 hour ago, Sand crab said:

I'm a retired contractor. I doubt aspen because it doesn't do well in the elements. We are talking exterior shutters, right?  Shutters are typically cedar or pine btw. Sugar pine used to be real popular as an exterior wood and it's more of a whitish blond color.  But it's really hard to beat vinyl. They look fine from a distance and no one really looks at shutters anyway. Use Krylon Fusion if you want to change the color. It is absolutely amazing on most plastics

Sorry, wasn't clear, it is for interior shutters.

14 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Doing more home renos and one (expensive) thing on the list is (are?)shutters. Wood shutters are apparently about 30% more than vinyl. Worth the difference in price?

right now anything is wood is really spendy.. I was looking at a garage kit in wood last August. it was 34k. Now it's 49K and quite a wait... 

30% more is a bargain. Those vinyl shutters are more accurately plastic shutters, they're utter shite if you live anywhere that gets windy or has wasps.

The plastic does nothing to discourage the wasps from setting up behind them, they get brittle in the sun. The builder put several of those shit-magnets on my house and I've picked up the pieces of them as the wind breaks the sun-weakened structure and blows them onto my lawn. And each time one blows off, it leaves a couple of wasp nests behind it.

I'm going to make my own cedar shutters, stain the fronts, leave the backs natural to deter the wasps, put the plastic shutters into the recycling bin, and feel only a tiny shred of guilt that I know they can't actually be recycled into anything by landfill. I've had cedar benches (made from 5/8-inch pickets) that have been outdoors 365 for going on ten years, and essentially zero rot. So yeah, don't waste your money on plastic shit shutters, they suck the oats out of a burro's asshole.

il_794xN.1985346674_7frn.jpg

9 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

right now anything is wood is really spendy.. I was looking at a garage kit in wood last August. it was 34k. Now it's 49K and quite a wait... 

Building a greenhouse for Mrs F_L. Spf studs for $5.99. WTF

13 minutes ago, mikewof said:

...burro's asshole.

il_794xN.1985346674_7frn.jpg

WTF? Do you get your design ideas from old episodes of Gunsmoke?

37 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

WTF? Do you get your design ideas from old episodes of Gunsmoke?

I have no choice but to put up shutters, the dipshits who painted the house didn't bother to paint behind those shit plastic shutters. Those look like I could build, stain and hang a half dozen of them in an afternoon. Works for me.

11 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I have no choice but to put up shutters, the dipshits who painted the house didn't bother to paint behind those shit plastic shutters. Those look like I could build, stain and hang a half dozen of them in an afternoon. Works for me.

Sondes goode Marshalle Dillon!                          :)

I once called to have someone come out and give me a Quote on Shutters

They sent a Blind Guy

that didn't go over well on FB either :)

We just got rid of all the wood interior shutters....all of them. Replaced with roller shades and some in hard to reach places motorized.......amazing how much it brightened the house. Should have done it long ago. Advise if you'd like to see a couple pic's.

To answer your specific question, we had just a couple vinyl shades in isolated spots where the wood ones gave up. They just looked like plastic and one long one sagged slightly.....and they were not cheap. The wood ones eventually were giving up, especially the pull cords because the wood weighs so much more. The sun finally started to fade the paint and repainting.........well you might as well but new ones. Then cleaning...........oh my god its a full day to dust/clean them all. What a pain. The rollers are up all day except when down to protect wood floor from sun here and there. The house is SOOOOOO much brighter and open. 

I'd never go back to the wood shutters........

Blinds would be my choice unless the view is only a brick wall. We have these wherever there is a mountain or ocean view. Birch or something. From 3 Day Blinds. Not too pricy. 

B758E4D7-263E-4A43-9A4C-09293E8125D3.jpeg

Sorry. I'm from the land of actual, functional exterior shutters.

https://www.shuttercraft.com/

I know the owner, and am friends with several employees.

I can recommend these shutters.

I've been (was, now) a custom furniture maker/cabinet maker for 40+ years, and any time someone asked me about making shutters I sent them to these people.

19 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

I betcha between 1973 and 1979, I'd be self-shocked if I installed less than 600 mahogany adjustable  louvered shutters sold by Standard Brands Paint Co. in So Cal. They were dirt cheap and pretty well made. And they were all the rage.....back in the daze.....:lol:

7 minutes ago, warbird said:

Really?  Now we have interior decorating anarchy!:lol:

What's your take on Coral pink 6 x 6 wall tiles in a Man's cave bathroom? ......

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, warbird said:

Really?  Now we have interior decorating anarchy!:lol:

Butt.... since we now have Fart Lighting  anarchy too, I shouldn't be surprised.  Symptoms of a long lockdown.

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

What's your take on Coral pink 6 x 6 wall tiles in a Man's cave bathroom? ......

Matched with Jade trim and carpet and black leather bar stools it probably works after the second rum.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, warbird said:

Matched with Jade trim and carpet and black leather bar stools it probably works after the second rum.

That's quite the interior decorating cocktail you got there. Let me chew on some Peyote buttons for a while and see if I can wrap my head around that kalidescope of khaos......:lol:

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

That's quite the interior decorating cocktail you got there. Let me chew on some Peyote buttons for a while and see if I can wrap my head around that kalidescope of khaos......:lol:

I realized to late it is the bathroom so just skip the barstools....

4 minutes ago, warbird said:

I realized to late it is the bathroom so just skip the barstools....

FB_IMG_1615070912524.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

FB_IMG_1615070912524.jpg

I remember a bar south of the border out of Fort Huachuca , probably Nogales,  that had a trough to a drain on the customer side.

8 minutes ago, warbird said:

I remember a bar south of the border out of Fort Huachuca , probably Nogales,  that had a trough to a drain on the customer side.

Ist a German thinge........... they licke that..........               :)

36 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

FB_IMG_1615070912524.jpg

31 minutes ago, warbird said:

21 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist a German thinge........... they licke that..........               :)

Same in old beer houses in Germany?

On 4/7/2021 at 8:36 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

We ripped all our shutters off.  They were bee-nest magnets.  One more thing I don't fuckin' need.  Even solid style shutters (instead of louvers) can't lay flat enough against my brickwork to keep the little bastards out.  

Exterior shutters that are screwed to the wall is ridiculous, it amazes me that they are still used.

But then I lived in Alabama, and a lot of houses have actual closing, locking exterior shutters to protect the windows in hurricanes ... ah, so that's their purpose.

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Exterior shutters that are screwed to the wall is ridiculous, it amazes me that they are still used.

But then I lived in Alabama, and a lot of houses have actual closing, locking exterior shutters to protect the windows in hurricanes ... ah, so that's their purpose.

Especially when a black sharpie comes in..... Gotta watch out for those black sharpie cones of probability.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, F_L said:

Building a greenhouse for Mrs F_L. Spf studs for $5.99. WTF

That was last week's price, it's more expensive now.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:34 PM, floating dutchman said:

We really need Tom to chime in with the durability of humble plywood.

Well, OK. If my little experiment is any guide, pieces of Flyin' Hawaiian are probably still out there somewhere, presumably outside the environment.

My little house was built in the 1930's, expanded and updated a bit probably in the 70's, and moved here in the 80's. At that time, it got vinyl siding.

I never looked underneath until a few years ago, when I replaced the old windows. Turns out, the original siding is still under the plastic stuff, and it's (now extinct) Dade County hard pine. So is the floor. It's probably worth more in pieces than whole but I like it the way it is.

• Like 1