Rear turn signals no blinky

I noticed my dashboard turn signal indicator blinking very fast the other day. Hmmm Thinks I, I gots me a bad bulb. So today I walked the perimeter, and found both front turn signals working, but neither rear ones. So I take the lens covers off.

The right hand side looked fine. The left hand side was destroyed, blown up, broken, crusty black. So I go to the local NAPA, and buy 2 new bulbs. I install a new bulb in the left hand side. Still no blinky in the rear. So I go look in the owner's manual, and locate the fuses. Both good. I look for the blinker relay switch..... It's not there. It's not only not there, but there's no place for it there. So I look on line. I see that some years had the relay up under the hood... Not there.

2007 Chevy Silverado work truck.

Any ideas. (And if you tell me I have to pull the steering wheel to replace a fucking blinker relay, I'm going to change my party affiliation to Republican)

• Like 3

98 GMC 2500-- 4 way flasher switch jiggled out of position triggers rapid flasher blinking. Toggling the switch usually gets signals back to normal. It's one of those pull-up/press down switches on the top of the steering column, so probably not like yours.

IIRC, there are separate relays for the 2-way and 4-ways. Can be identified by their clicking sound, with ear awkwardly placed in the driver's footwell. 

I know, sounds wrong somehow, but thar she be.

21 minutes ago, stief said:

98 GMC 2500-- 4 way flasher switch jiggled out of position triggers rapid flasher blinking. Toggling the switch usually gets signals back to normal. It's one of those pull-up/press down switches on the top of the steering column, so probably not like yours.

IIRC, there are separate relays for the 2-way and 4-ways. Can be identified by their clicking sound, with ear awkwardly placed in the driver's footwell. 

I know, sounds wrong somehow, but thar she be.

Yup... The relays are behind a panel that I can't get to un-latch this evening, but will try again tomorrow. The 4 ways click normal, the trns click fast, They're just to the left of the brake pedal.

Thank you! No where in my manual does it describe this place.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:
44 minutes ago, Gissie said:
2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

I don't use 'em...nobody's business where I'm going...

:lol:

Driveng licke a boss...........               

It's a waste of time when you're already driving on the sidewalk.

Just now, Ishmael said:
42 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:
45 minutes ago, Gissie said:
2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

:lol:

Driveng licke a boss...........               

Expand  

It's a waste of time when you're already driving on the sidewalk.

I allwayes yelle 'stay outte my waye!"  I figgiure ist safe.........                 :)

I like to at least pretend to have plausible deniability when someone runs into my vehicle.... Working turn signals is kind of a must in these cases.

Brake lights too.... Those are working fine.

• Like 2

I already have enough broken body parts, I don't need to invite anymore. The reason that I couldn't get that cover off the relay switch area was because I can't cram myself under the dashboard, and lever stuff so easily these days.

I think Automotive engineers should have to live in a full body cast when designing vehicles so that they understand how stupid these designs are from the inside.... Especially Italian, and British... Sure they look great, but they need to be worked on, and we can't always spend 3 days w/o a vehicle just because a damned spark plug fouled.

9 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I already have enough broken body parts, I don't need to invite anymore. The reason that I couldn't get that cover off the relay switch area was because I can't cram myself under the dashboard, and lever stuff so easily these days.

I think Automotive engineers should have to live in a full body cast when designing vehicles so that they understand how stupid these designs are from the inside.... Especially Italian, and British... Sure they look great, but they need to be worked on, and we can't always spend 3 days w/o a vehicle just because a damned spark plug fouled.

Curre Americane bullshitte firste, then worrey aboutte the importted shitte............                   :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grabbler said:

You must be from NC.

I was warned by my uncle years ago (who went to school here about 10 years before I did) that there are basically two types of drivers in NC. There are those who turn their turn signal on at least 5-10 miles before they actually need it and/or never turn it off, ever. They just occasionally switch from left to right and back again.

Then there are those who NEVER EVER use their turn signal for any reason. They just suddenly slam on their brakes and turn right in front of you.

It's been 45 years since he warned me about that .. and it's still frequently true. Though I can start to see a difference in younger drivers, some of whom actually will use turn signals properly.

They still haven't figured out how to properly use center turn lanes though, especially when entering from a side road. OTOH, I can't say that's particularly unique to NC drivers.

31 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

You're supposed to throw it away and buy a new one. Only dinosaurs know how to wrench.

Saaaay, you wanna buy a dwell meter ? Make ya a good deal  . . . Throw in some brake return spring wrenches to boot 

• Like 1
Just now, Dorado said:

You're supposed to throw it away and buy a new one. Only dinosaurs know how to wrench.

Saaaay, you wanna buy a dwell meter ? Make ya a good deal  . . . Throw in some brake return spring wrenches to boot 

You gotta timeng lite and ist a dealle!

FWIW if cops want to be a dick they can ticket you for changing lanes without signaling. I have a relative who is sooper conservative politically, emotionally, physically, anally retentive and was in the left lane where the 2 left lanes have to turn left, didn't have his blinker on and the cop gave him a ticket.  Can still get a half hour rant by just bringing that up.  On another note one night some decades ago after rum race and too many rums was hauling ass home, got hung up in lane closures/construction after midnight and when cleared just put it to the floor, saw the lights behind me, slowed down and got pulled over. They did the drunk walk, the every kind of test you can think of, the good cop/bad cop, asked me a hundred times how fast I was going (uh, wasn't paying attention to that sir) and so after almost an hour not being able to get me pissed off or any reason to arrest me they gave up and wrote me a ticket for

unsafe lane change.   The end. 

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

unsafe lane change. 

Thast fuckeng crazey, you neede to reevalvuatte youre choices in life...........     ULCs our juste beggining to a wrecklesse life behinde the wheelle.........         :)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast fuckeng crazey, you neede to reevalvuatte youre choices in life...........     ULCs our juste beggining to a wrecklesse life behinde the wheelle.........         :)

Not long after that I made a number of life changes and I use blinkers, which in Texas makes everyone think I am from out of state.  And I never go over the speed limit by more than 10.  No tickets in the last 25 years. 

9 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Not long after that I made a number of life changes and I use blinkers, which in Texas makes everyone think I am from out of state.  And I never go over the speed limit by more than 10.  No tickets in the last 25 years. 

proude of you!             :)

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I noticed my dashboard turn signal indicator blinking very fast the other day. Hmmm Thinks I, I gots me a bad bulb. So today I walked the perimeter, and found both front turn signals working, but neither rear ones. So I take the lens covers off.

The right hand side looked fine. The left hand side was destroyed, blown up, broken, crusty black. So I go to the local NAPA, and buy 2 new bulbs. I install a new bulb in the left hand side. Still no blinky in the rear. So I go look in the owner's manual, and locate the fuses. Both good. I look for the blinker relay switch..... It's not there. It's not only not there, but there's no place for it there. So I look on line. I see that some years had the relay up under the hood... Not there.

Any ideas. (And if you tell me I have to pull the steering wheel to replace a fucking blinker relay, I'm going to change my party affiliation to Republican)

Did you fry the socket on the left hand side? My '01 Suburban had a similar issue and replacing a torched socket fixed it.

WL

Heheh. I've learned to wander down to the local  junk yards who were happy to let me practise taking apart some pieces before trying to remove them from my own vehicles. 

Come to think of it, that's where I picked up some some extra flasher relays, and some plastic parts and bulbs for the rear tail lights. Took a few tries to get it right, but sure came in handy when I got home :P

(I think I heard some yards now charge just to get through the gates, so YMMV)

I find the teachings of the Getta BiggerHammer School of Mechanical Engineering come in handy for these sorts of issues, and the default Control Alt Delete for anything with an electronic brain!

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

FWIW if cops want to be a dick they can ticket you for changing lanes without signaling. I have a relative who is sooper conservative politically, emotionally, physically, anally retentive and was in the left lane where the 2 left lanes have to turn left, didn't have his blinker on and the cop gave him a ticket.  Can still get a half hour rant by just bringing that up.  On another note one night some decades ago after rum race and too many rums was hauling ass home, got hung up in lane closures/construction after midnight and when cleared just put it to the floor, saw the lights behind me, slowed down and got pulled over. They did the drunk walk, the every kind of test you can think of, the good cop/bad cop, asked me a hundred times how fast I was going (uh, wasn't paying attention to that sir) and so after almost an hour not being able to get me pissed off or any reason to arrest me they gave up and wrote me a ticket for

unsafe lane change.   The end. 

You're lucky.

Here, if a cop asks you how fast you were going and you don't know you'd be charged with careless driving.

https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/find-legal-answers/traffic-offences/careless-driving

7 hours ago, silent bob said:

You’re obviously out of Blinker Fluid!  

59AD6135-4C81-44BB-9373-E669A5DCD3FB.jpeg

15 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Do your break lights work?

18 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Brake lights work, but not rear turn signals, nor rear 4 ways.... Leading me to suspect a fuse. I looked at the fuse, but today I'll just change it even though it looks OK.

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Brake lights work, but not rear turn signals, nor rear 4 ways.... Leading me to suspect a fuse. I looked at the fuse, but today I'll just change it even though it looks OK.

Sounds like a bad flasher unit. Something like this: (This is just an example. I don't think the linked part will fit your vehicle.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KSGF14/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Silverado 1500|491&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&newVehicle=1&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Are your front turn signals working? Are you getting power to the light socket? It could be a bad ground. I had a bad ground on my truck for the front turn signal lights. when they would flash it would back feed into the windshield wiper circuit and activate. It drove me nuts. 

Problem solved! The right rear signal bulb was also broken (This one just the filament, not the entire bulb.). Good thing I bought two bulbs at the store yesterday.

• Like 1

:) Congratisms !

17 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

, (deep breath)

, (pause, count to 11)

, it would be EYE   

, who gets to do that to replace a headlight multifunction switch thingy in my "Collector"  jacked up mini pickumup truck.

:(

If you can figure a weezle-around,, I'll switch mine.

2 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

Some threads just don't have the longevity potential of sash weights

Time, tide, and sash weights for Norman.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Remodel said:

No, his turn signal lights are broken, that's the problem. 

He didn't mention anything about the brake lights.

31 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I did mention that the brake lights work. I haven't checked the break lights. I'm not even sure where they might be on this vehicle.....

49 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I did mention that the brake lights work. I haven't checked the break lights. I'm not even sure where they might be on this vehicle.....

Well that's not surprising.  It seems you had trouble finding several things you were searching for.  Not that they make it easy on modern cars, those bastards.

14 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Well that's not surprising.  It seems you had trouble finding several things you were searching for.  Not that they make it easy on modern cars, those bastards.

I thought "Break lights" were those strings of flashing LEDs that kids used to put under the rocker panels on their cars w/ the "BOOM BOOM speakers"

6 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I thought "Break lights" were those strings of flashing LEDs that kids used to put under the rocker panels on their cars w/ the "BOOM BOOM speakers"

That's certainly possible now that you mention it.

19 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Goddamn auto correct. :lol:

55 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Goddamn auto correct. :lol:

Sometimes they make it difficult but I always turn it off whenever possible!  

God help us if there is ever a cataclysmic event and we lose our GPS and all of the other modern conveniences that cause us to lose valuable skills.  I drove all over Europe for years without GPS and I still have a large collection of paper maps, just in case!  

20210410_180254.jpg

Paper maps? Is that so you can find your way out of a wet paper bag?

39 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Paper maps? Is that so you can find your way out of a wet paper bag?

Among other uses, yes.  What if there's another toilet paper shortage?

5 minutes ago, ropetrick said:

The classic 2-D nav system.

No batteries required.

Unless it's dark out and the dome light in the car isn't working!  

38 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Unless it's dark out and the dome light in the car isn't working!  

Different fuse, different size bulb. Trust me, this I know.

• Like 1

RE: maps. My wife can get lost going out the driveway. Me? I ask the neighbors for directions.