Prince Philip, keen sailor, crosses the bar.

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

This is what happens when PA people escape the asylum. Repugnant. 

What’s repugnant is how idol worshipping morons can defend one of the most misogynistic and racists assholes ever to inhabit an honorary seat next to the throne. Most of his defenders have no idea what he stood for or said over decades. Very Trumpish.  He has a lot of medals pinned to his chest.  None of them were for ‘Father of the Year’.  So he did a bit of sailing. Big fucking deal. That doesn’t mean shit as to what a person he was. 

• Like 3

However, most of us are at least 30 to 60 years younger than the Prince and grew up in completely different circumstances, so shut the F up Cristomoron, and get back to idolizing Christofor Columbus, the converted pawn of Queen Isabel, who barbarized enough of the new world to be awarded his own “Asshole for Lifetime achievement” by the First Nation people-those that survived.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Laker said:

It is well known that Constitutional Monarchies tend to be much better governments than Republics.  The present state of the US is a very good example.  Allowing an individual such as Trump 4 years of screwing up a country without an effective control is not the best situation.  Culture eats legislation for breakfast and structure creates culture.  It is important to separate the functions of state and government.  The ship of state flows calmly on as the chaos of government churns bellow.  In the best situations, they do absolutely nothing.  As shown in the recent problems in Canada, there are solutions when it doesn't. The public's fascination with the individuals involved in state and the scrutiny of their every move shows that no one is perfect.  It is the institution that matters. 

I would have believed that about Constitutional Monarchies being better than Republics until the Prime Minister called for a referendum on Brexit but forgot to inform the electorate about what Brexit means, in fact the Prime Minister did not have a clue what it meant.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

lol

Aww no, tell me ya didn’t offer up that abhorrence, mother fucking Teresa?
.Btw, Santy ain’t real either, sorry

Ps. Santy isn’t real either...

Shame hitchens died before Phillip. Like hunter Thompson missing out on trump. Tragic loss of potential scathing rants.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

O’Bama’s grandfather was tortured by those who Philip represented.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/deadlineusa/2008/dec/03/obama-grandfather-maumau-torture

But get this, despite the outrageous conduct of the crown towards his grandad,  O’Bama penned a tribute to the old philandering knob, thus proving beyond a doubt that O’Bama was full of dung also..

https://people.com/politics/barack-obama-pays-tribute-prince-philip/

You are very bitter towards a man who did more good than harm in his life. Married to the girl he met 81 years ago. Impressive.

• Like 2

They were cousins, it was an arranged marriage.

I didn't know him, what I heard about him I didn't like, but I feel sympathy for his family as I do for anyone who has lost a member of their family. I felt the same about princess Diana - sorry for the kids, but that was it, it didn't touch me personally.

All this posturing and royal worship needs to eff off.

Tricia

• Like 4
On 4/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, SloopJonB said:

The Brit aristocracy have little or nothing to do with the rearing of their children.

They have nannies until they are shipped off to boarding school.

Phil did select probably the worst, most brutal of them - Gordonstoun - for Chuck.

First part of this about Nannies etc, i cant comment on. The bit about Gordonstoun i strongly disagree. Gordonstoun is and was an incredibly forward thinking school. It takes royalty, but also 1/3 of the kids there are on bursaries or scholarships (from all around the world). Many years ago i taught seamanship there and was the mate on their Oyster 80 sail training boat.  Seriously one of the finest schools i have ever seen and the kids come out of it as grounded, confident and humble young adults. It is not a pompous British boarding school.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, challange said:

First part of this about Nannies etc, i cant comment on. The bit about Gordonstoun i strongly disagree. Gordonstoun is and was an incredibly forward thinking school. It takes royalty, but also 1/3 of the kids there are on bursaries or scholarships (from all around the world). Many years ago i taught seamanship there and was the mate on their Oyster 80 sail training boat.  Seriously one of the finest schools i have ever seen and the kids come out of it as grounded, confident and humble young adults. It is not a pompous British boarding school.

Founded by a refugee from nazi Germany no less..

On 4/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, SloopJonB said:

"I'm not taking a bullet for that asshole".

.... that’s a helluva quick side step.... 

13 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

This is what happens when PA people escape the asylum. Repugnant. 

It is getting tedious here. Someone can post a photo of a winch handle and half a page later it’s angry posts about colonialism. Then the googling of supporting semi-facts begins. This was more fun back when it was boats and tits. (That last sentence is not a quote from Prince Philip but may as well have been).

• Like 7

"Philip was appointed as a midshipman in January 1940. He spent four months on the battleship HMS Ramillies, protecting convoys of the Australian Expeditionary Force in the Indian Ocean, followed by shorter postings on HMS Kent, on HMS Shropshire, and in Ceylon.[25] After the invasion of Greece by Italy in October 1940, he was transferred from the Indian Ocean to the battleship HMS Valiant in the Mediterranean Fleet.[26]"

Five postings in one year?  I guess nobody liked him.

5 hours ago, challange said:

Read what Chuck had to say about it.

Called it Colditz.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

I would have believed that about Constitutional Monarchies being better than Republics until the Prime Minister called for a referendum on Brexit but forgot to inform the electorate about what Brexit means, in fact the Prime Minister did not have a clue what it meant.

Better than does not mean perfect.  However, I agree with you.  Still, Brexit is more a reflection of some yob in the pub getting pissed off that he doesn't rule the world, even though he knows better, than reality.

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 6:23 AM, trisail said:

Prince Philip.

A keen sailor.

duke.jpg

Uffa Fox: "How about I drive the next one?"

Prince Philip: "How about I drive the next one...Your Royal Highness?"

Uffa Fox: "Never mind"

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hasmat said:
On 4/9/2021 at 9:20 AM, SloopJonB said:

"I'm not taking a bullet for that asshole".

.... that’s a helluva quick side step.... 

The actual quote was more along the lines of "I'm not leaping in front of a bullet for that arrogant prick".

14 hours ago, challange said:

I fully endorse what Challange says about Gordonstoun. I had the briefest of experiences of their 'regime' on an outward bound course at Moray Sea School (it was only a month). It used some of Gordonstoun's facilities and followed their ethos quite closely. Shit, it was tough but it did help develop character and I still remember the benefits and cherish the experience now, almost 50 years later. It certainly exposes weaker traits and pushes one to (and beyond) limits one doesn't realise.   

Perhaps not for everyone but it did help develop my early leadership skills and appreciate the needs of those around me and was a small but an important part of the jigsaw that made up my formative years.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I liked Jeremy Clarkson's summary of the British public school system. He said you drop you son off at the age of 12 and say 'See you when you are 18, try not to get sodomized too much.'

• Like 2

He lent his name and support to the AYRS, to which I belonged for decades.  He would sail in absolute shit.  He gladly married, stayed with a powerful, smart woman, and played his role well, as far as I can tell.  For that, I respected him.  No excuses for the bad stuff- he was a man of his times & rank.  Fair winds, and good memories for his family.  

• Like 6
10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

'See you when you are 18, try not to killed get sodomized too much.'

Fixed for the Canadian version (St John's Cathedral Boys School Manitoba,). Yes, those schools could be brutal. TBH, the doctors did revive one classmate after his heart froze for 1/2 an hour. 'Muscular Christianity' indeed. Good education for life if you survived.

So, Prince Philip was part of that culture, which worked until it didn't. May he and his family find peace.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stief said:

Fixed for the Canadian version (St John's Cathedral Boys School Manitoba,). Yes, those schools could be brutal. TBH, the doctors did revive one classmate after his heart froze for 1/2 an hour. 'Muscular Christianity' indeed. Good education for life if you survived.

So, Prince Philip was part of that culture, which worked until it didn't. May he and his family find peace.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/08/26/news/new-book-links-lord-mountbatten-to-sex-abuse-at-kincora-boys-home-1694271/

• Like 1
On 4/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, loneshark64 said:

It is getting tedious here. Someone can post a photo of a winch handle and half a page later it’s angry posts about colonialism. Then the googling of supporting semi-facts begins. This was more fun back when it was boats and tits. (That last sentence is not a quote from Prince Philip but may as well have been).

It's the slow death of SA forums:(  Only when there's a Vendee or some such that the threads have some relevance to sailing, after that its just the moronic plague that infests all the media these days. 

• Like 1
On 4/11/2021 at 4:57 PM, SloopJonB said:

Read what Chuck had to say about it.

Called it Colditz.

The Duke of Edinburgh at the same age was a comparitively poor royal, his family was living on the help of relatives..

From birth they escaped to France where He lived in a loaned house, pre war, no central heating  and went to  the local American school, then to  Germany to a school owned by a relative because if was free (to him). Eventually to Gordonstoun when things got nasty in Germany.

Charles was a heir to the throne, living in various palaces very well heated , and with all the privileges.

So why did DoE like Gordonstoun and Charles not?

PS Gordonstoun was 40 miles along the coast where I stayed at school in Inverness, we probably played them at Cricket... and got hammered we only ever won one match.. against Dingwall school..

My school hostel in the 1970's had windows nailed so they wouldn't open more than 3 inches, we only had Saturday 09:00 to 12:00 13:00 - 17:00 plus 13:00 to 17:00 on Sundays free. (bed by 21:00 ) The rest of the time except for meals, was spoken for, if you weren't at school in were in the Hostel classrooms doing home work in silence.. Even if you didn't have any ...

On 4/13/2021 at 12:03 AM, stief said:

My parents were going to sue the Church of England School they sent me to because I wasn’t interfered with. 

As Casey Chambers sang ‘was I not pretty enough?’ 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, The Q said:

The Duke of Edinburgh at the same age was a comparitively poor royal, his family was living on the help of relatives..

From birth they escaped to France where He lived in a loaned house, pre war, no central heating  and went to  the local American school, then to  Germany to a school owned by a relative because if was free (to him). Eventually to Gordonstoun when things got nasty in Germany.

Charles was a heir to the throne, living in various palaces very well heated , and with all the privileges.

So why did DoE like Gordonstoun and Charles not?

PS Gordonstoun was 40 miles along the coast where I stayed at school in Inverness, we probably played them at Cricket... and got hammered we only ever won one match.. against Dingwall school..

My school hostel in the 1970's had windows nailed so they wouldn't open more than 3 inches, we only had Saturday 09:00 to 12:00 13:00 - 17:00 plus 13:00 to 17:00 on Sundays free. (bed by 21:00 ) The rest of the time except for meals, was spoken for, if you weren't at school in were in the Hostel classrooms doing home work in silence.. Even if you didn't have any ...

But will the young people today believe you?

Noooooo Noooooo.

27 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

My parents were going to sue the Church of England School they sent me to because I wasn’t interfered with. 

As Casey Chambers sang ‘was I not pretty enough?’ 

No abuse of that kind that my ugly little 12 yo self recalls. We were "swatted" --so many swats for spelling mistakes, etc. Worst offence was smoking or running away: that earned 10 of the best from the Headmaster. Though, the good  old Church of England Priest with the metal plate in his head from =his time in the War was a bit creepy. 

Anyway, we treated the swats rather like good old Kipling's Stalky & Co. No lavatory inspections, though.

“My word!” said McTurk, wriggling his shoulder-blades all down the corridor. “That was business! The Prooshan Bates has an infernal straight eye.”

“Wasn't it wily of me to ask for the lickin',” said Stalky, “instead of those impots?”

“Rot! We were in for it from the first. I knew the look of his old eye,” said Beetle. “I was within an inch of blubbing.”

“Well, I didn't exactly smile,” Stalky confessed.

“Let's go down to the lavatory and have a look at the damage. One of us can hold the glass and t'others can squint.”

They proceeded on these lines for some ten minutes. The wales were very red and very level. There was not a penny to choose between any of them for thoroughness, efficiency, and a certain clarity of outline that stamps the work of the artist.

“What are you doing down there?” Mr. Prout was at the head of the lavatory stairs, attracted by the noise of splashing.

“We've only been caned by the Head, sir, and we're washing off the blood. The Head said we were to tell you. We were coming to report ourselves in a minute, sir.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3006/3006-h/3006-h.htm

The Prince would have approved, I suppose.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Stalky & Co: I've been remembering that lately, and the horrified reaction of the boys to a flag-waving MP, when considering the newly acquired taste of Tory MPs for posing in front of the Union Flag.

Yes--that is a particularly memorable scene that contrasts the standards of then and now. Easy to imagine how Prince Philip might agree. Quite a different "breed" (or as Kipling says--"race") those schools fostered. 

The Sergeant had kindly taken it up for them. That disposed of the badger, and the temporary check brought King's temper to boiling-point. They could hear his foot on the floor while Prout prepared his lumbering inquiries. They had settled into their stride now. Their eyes ceased to sparkle; their faces were blank; their hands hung beside them without a twitch. They were learning, at the expense of a fellow-countryman, the lesson of their race, which is to put away all emotion and entrap the alien at the proper time.

51 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

I’m pretty certain Yer bound for hell LB

lol

Oh without a doubt if such things exist. But if they do I will know plenty of people when I get there.

13 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Oh without a doubt if such things exist. But if they do I will know plenty of people when I get there.

Yeah - all the ruling clique of the RQYS for starters...

FKT

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

If I don’t make it there be sure to say hello to my old parish priest for me.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Sail4beer said:

67DED39C-2015-4D3D-8CC4-14DBB3C0E82F.jpeg

Very likely one of the best sketches ever. Along with the Cheese shop, Bruce's, Ministry of silly walks, Piranha brothers.......Oh, nevermind.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:28 AM, Caecilian said:

also fuck anyone who calls themselves "expats" 

fuckin immigrans taking er jobs!

On 4/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, loneshark64 said:

Well said!

Boobies are needed!

The Beauty of the Blue-Footed Booby | ESL Voices

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, Sea warrior said:

Philip has passed? that’s terrible.

On the plus side, this hottie is now on the market if any of ye lusty lushes fancy yer chances..

643FF348-BA26-4F2A-B817-1DCB4820E528.png

I'd consort that.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LB 15 said:

All the fun people seem to be headed there.

My dad once said that heaven sounded like a terrible place to spend eternity - sitting on marble benches in a bed sheet listening to harp music. :blink:

Oh, and by the way - IME the N word is not veddy British. They tend to refer to brown people as Wogs or Darkies, not N*****s.

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, stief said:

... or St Michaels College where you learn to ‘stick handle’ a puck with unorthodoxies.  

Just now, hasmat said:

... or St Michaels College where you learn to ‘stick handle’ a puck with unorthodoxies.  

Don't know much about St Michaels, (Sounds a bit like Campion and Luther Colleges in Regina).

Been thinking about the legacy of the "Empire' Days. Perhaps the most positive contribution the British Empire left its colonies was -- Education? Worked in Nigeria, India, Hong Kong and probably many more countries.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, trisail said:

I am South African.......

I was hoping to get some interesting sailing anecdotes about the prince.

I never expected the nasty comments posted here.

me three.

So i did some googling instead.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/rya-tribute-to-hrh-duke-of-edinburgh.aspx

https://nmmc.co.uk/object/boats/international-dragon-bluebottle/

http://www.artnet.com/artists/montague-dawson/hrh-prince-philip-duke-of-edinburghs-dragon-class-RuV5L7gQUh1vPpkq2K7WDA2

Come to think of it, the Australian and New Zulland Interdominion Championship for Dragons is called the "Prince Phillip Cup".  I did 2 of them (a loong time ago).

• Like 2

One of the tales I ran across years ago claimed Prince Philip "rowed around the Horn" (IIRC, calm moment; so had Brittania's rowboat launched). 

Book? movie? Haven't been able to track down a source.

Anyone else recall the story?

On 4/19/2021 at 6:57 PM, in_TO said:

What's the full story?

As I heard it oh, at least 25-30 years ago is that he was helming Yeoman, a Sigma 38 owned by Owen Aisher which was a strong class at Cowes back then when he tacked close to another Sigma leading to the other boat hailing "Tacking in My Water" to which HRH stood in the cockpit with a smile on his face and shouted back "Who's water?"  

Long time ago and I cannot remember whether the other boat let it go, whether penalties were taken etc but it was just the sort of humour he was renowned for.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, LB 15 said:

there is a reason there is a highway to hell....

• Like 1