Steve Miller, epic badass ...

Forme thisse daye heanse, the abbeviatione 'QU' or 'qu' wille signafie a pearsonallitey dissordere that ist typifide by refusseng to excepte 'goode' or 'goode enuffe' butte allwayes nowing a bettere, moire prffered, or the beste possibilitey.  Offen associatted withe dissapproovalle, insinuatione, dissmissalle of ortheres and theire plebbian (commone) taste(s), nolledge, or educatione. (includes "lacke of...." )

Thissis a liveng, evollveng, disscussione on actieve researche of thisse dissordere.  Additionalle observationes and evalluationes our appreciatted.            :)

• Like 1

Hmmmm, so licke "Q" for shorte?
I do notte knowe iffe I am up toe that taskes....... but thankes fore the complidements in annie eventtes.

I am, thus I evolve.
                           "Q"

12 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Forme thisse daye heanse, the abbeviatione 'QU' or 'qu' wille signafie a pearsonallitey dissordere that ist typifide by refusseng to excepte 'goode' or 'goode enuffe' butte allwayes nowing a bettere, moire prffered, or the beste possibilitey.  Offen associatted withe dissapproovalle, insinuatione, dissmissalle of ortheres and theire plebbian (commone) taste(s), nolledge, or educatione. (includes "lacke of...." )

Thissis a liveng, evollveng, disscussione on actieve researche of thisse dissordere.  Additionalle observationes and evalluationes our appreciatted.            :)

This sounds very scientific, is is about tits?

1699107471_ScreenShot2021-04-09at4_43_42PM.png.f6aeec1a95ae166749a6a8256fc3245a.png

My own cocaine infected tiny brain is having trouble which single artist I absolutely despise the fuking most.....in the past 6 decades. Wanna see who my candidates are?

Steve Miller

Dylan

McCartney

Donovan

Cunt Stevens

Springsteen

Peter Gabriel

The guy from Winger

The guy from The Who

The guy from Rush

The guy from AC/DC

The guy from Journey

Billy Joe

Phil Collins

The guy from ZZZ Topp

Paul Simon

And Lena Lovitch (though between the two us? Lena Lovitch fuking rocked).....

13 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

My own cocaine infected tiny brain is having trouble which single artist I absolutely despise the fuking most.....in the past 6 decades. Wanna see who my candidates are?

Steve Miller

Dylan

McCartney

Donovan

Cunt Stevens

Springsteen

Peter Gabriel

The guy from Winger

The guy from The Who

The guy from Rush

The guy from AC/DC

The guy from Journey

Billy Joe

Phil Collins

The guy from ZZZ Topp

Paul Simon

And your favorite is Boy George?   What a twat. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

And your favorite is Boy George?   What a twat. 

Gawd but you are seriously the stupidest fuking fag here. In like 17 years.

Really....who writes your shit?.....:lol:

10 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Steve Miller

Dylan

McCartney

Donovan

Cunt Stevens

Springsteen

Peter Gabriel

The guy from Winger

The guy from The Who

The guy from Rush

The guy from AC/DC

The guy from Journey

Billy Joe

Phil Collins

The guy from ZZZ Topp

Paul Simon

Nice list but you forgot the Grateful Dead.  

And Stevie Wonder.

• Like 1

Gawd but you are seriously the stupidest fuking fag here. In like 17 years.

Really....who writes your shit?.....:lol:

Honestly I think you are being a little hard on the llama-like dude.  

Al must have some redeeming quality, almost everybody does.  I haven't seen any signs of it in Al yet, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  

5 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Nice list but you forgot the Grateful Dead.  

And Stevie Wonder.

Thanx for that. I'm 64 now....think I need to double up on my Reminder pills..... 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

bigge time.........                      :)

I couldn't name one single song by those guys if my life depended on it......

2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

"Ignorance of your culture is not considered cool."

You can take your Hollywood worshiping 'culture' and stuff it up your ass......

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

You can take your Hollywood worshiping 'culture' and stuff it up your ass......

NTTAWWT.  

• Like 1

Aside from the apparent evidence on the non-functional youtube link....

Steve Miller "Bad ass"?

That's like calling Neil Sedaka a rebel, or Debbie Boone a R&R bad girl.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Steve Miller "Bad ass"?

Howe aboute Pat Boone a bad girle?

5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Howe aboute Pat Boone a bad girle?

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Pat Boone covers Metallica. Who knew?

I heard an interview w/ Pat Boone and one of the members of Metallica when that album came out. They really made a great interview team. There was discussion of Metallica covering one of Boone's songs.... "Love letters in the Sand" I think it was...

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Steve Miller "Bad ass"?

He pissed all over the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, appeared to be sober as a judge, too ... link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umI7MkgwS7M&feature=emb_err_woyt

And Neil Sedaka is a rebel, when he lost his recording contract, he started his own production and distribution company. I've no idea if Debbie Boone is a bad girl, but I'm sure someone knows what she does with black plastic and mayonnaise.

Anyway, Paul Pena's original version of Jet Airliner, I think better than Miller's cover, because the story actually makes sense in Pena's rough life ...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mikewof said:

Anyway, Paul Pena's original version of Jet Airliner, I think better than Miller's cover, because the story actually makes sense in Pena's rough life ..

Firste time hearreng it, verrey diffrente, moire folksey, blusey, I licke it!                                      :)

• Like 1

Here's some Steve Miller you may not have heard:

I like it.

And anyone who seriously puts Stevie Wonder on their "Bad" list has a major problem,  (In my opinion, which is the only correct one.)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, valis said:

I like it.

And anyone who seriously puts Stevie Wonder on their "Bad" list has a major problem,  (In my opinion, which is the only correct one.)

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Just sayin'.  ;)

8 hours ago, valis said:

I like it.

Oh gawd but just fuking shoot me now. Stevie Wonder is to music what Amy Shumer is to Victoria's Secret. Jfc, but I'd rather listen to 13 wet screaming cats in a fuking dryer during a hurricane....as Fran Drescher sings the Barney song in Mandarin Chinese with a broken kazoo stuck up her nose.....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BOKSAROX said:

there is no accounting for taste.  Some people have it, some do not! All of the artists mentioned must have many fans, because they made shit loads of money performing.

And since when does financial success equate to true artistic success?  

There are some artists that also became rich in their lifetimes.  There are plenty of people and groups with questionable talent that have also become rich.

24 minutes ago, BOKSAROX said:

there is no accounting for taste.  Some people have it, some do not! All of the artists mentioned must have many fans, because they made shit loads of money performing.

It's like McDonald's.....just because millions of people eat there every day.....doesn't mean their food's worth a shit.....

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

It's like McDonald's.....just because millions of people eat there every day.....doesn't mean their food's worth a shit.....

Maybe at least reconsider your hatred of ZZ Top, if nobody else ... they came up with a new kind of Texas blues rock that nobody had ever heard before, one bar, and you know it's ZZ Top, like a runaway truck, brakes on fire, barrelling down the side of a mountain with nine tons of tequila in the trailer, and an ocean of idled Volvos with NPR on the radios in front of it.

Is it cultural imperialism day?

I think if one were to recommend a particular mainstream band, one should be proficient (i.e. more than 4 chords) with at least one musical instrument. 

12 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I think if one were to recommend a particular mainstream band, one should be proficient (i.e. more than 4 chords) with at least one musical instrument. 

Interestingly, Gordy Knudsen, Steve Miller’s drummer for the last few decades is, if you were to take a poll among  drummers, probably among the most highly regarded.

Same goes for Frank Beard of ZZ Top. 

Three chords can be as easy or difficult as the musicians playing it want to make it.

28 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Maybe at least reconsider your hatred of ZZ Top, if nobody else ... they came up with a new kind of Texas blues rock that nobody had ever heard before, one bar, and you know it's ZZ Top, like a runaway truck, brakes on fire, barrelling down the side of a mountain with nine tons of tequila in the trailer, and an ocean of idled Volvos with NPR on the radios in front of it.

I've always enjoyed ZZ Top but was never a raving fan of theirs. 

I had the opportunity to see them in a small outdoor venue in Potsdam, Germany a few years ago.  I went expecting to see some old guys play up their schtick, long beards, pink fuzzy guitars and such.  It turned out that they never dragged out the pink fuzzy guitars and just cranked out a couple of hours of gritty, dirty, well played Texas rock.  I enjoyed the show very much.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Easy there.  An entire genre of pop-rock music was built on 3 chords!  Many of us grew up on it, and it was good music a lot of the time.

I do agree that you do not have to be talented to make a shit ton of money.  There are very many artists/bands out there that though very successful, I cannot stand and think that their "music" is just noise.  Just because you, or I do  not care for a certain performer, does not mean that they suck.  Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.  I enjoy many types of music, not just R&R.  And I dislike several types of music as well.

7 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Easy there.  An entire genre of pop-rock music was built on 3 chords!  Many of us grew up on it, and it was good music a lot of the time.

Do you play an instrument, Edmund?

7 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Do you play an instrument, Edmund?

I played the violin, I've sung in a choir (bass), my wife is a life long pianist, conductor and all around music person, and I listen to all different kinds of music, from classical to rock, all of the time.

44 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Gordy Knudsen

Frank Beard

Three chords can be as easy or difficult as the musicians playing it want to make it.

"Are able" to make it.

Interestingly, neither of your name droppings made Rolling Stone's list.

Or udiscovermusic's list for that matter.

Check out Christian Vander of Magma. He made both lists.

22 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I played the violin,

Well, kudos. A fretless stringed instrument can be one of the most difficult to master.

Shall I call you maestro?

12 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Well, kudos. A fretless stringed instrument can be one of the most difficult to master.

Shall I call you maestro?

Modesty prohibits me from allowing you to do so.  You may however call my wife maestra if she has her baton in hand, although she's happy with Basia.  She teaches music in a German elementary school and a high school and the Germans insist on calling her Frau Dr. Weiser-Lada.  They love formal titles there.

Yes, the violin probably isn't the easiest instrument to learn to play.  I was good at it, but I didn't want to devote the 2 or 3 hours a day necessary to become great so I quit playing.  The other thing is my hands grew to be quite large and it would be really difficult to play one now.  If I open my fingers as far as they go, it's 10" from thumb tip to pinky tip.  Though I think even after quite a few years I can still tune a violin by ear.  

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

It's the New Imperialism, so far going strong ...

He's got several absolute kick-ass live versions of that fuking song that I still get goose bumps when I hear them......

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

"Are able" to make it.

Interestingly, neither of your name droppings made Rolling Stone's list.

Or udiscovermusic's list for that matter.

Check out Christian Vander of Magma. He made both lists.

So I checked out the udiscovermusic list. At least they had Daney Carey and Dave Lombardo up near the top. I don't have the time or energy to list the number of drummers not on that list that are truly great drummers.

As I mentioned polling drummers and not music journalists, I'll skip the Rolling Stone list, but will check out Christian Vander at some point. 

Here's a bit more on Gordy Knudtson for ya, https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/2019/11/26/gordy-knudtson-the-pompatus-of-drums

In the meantime, if there's some sort of dispute about what's badass or not, any list that omits this chick has to be drawn up again!

Speaking of violins, anyone recall the name of that smokin' hot Asian chick that basically plays her instrument like she's in an old school heavy metal hair  band? Watched an hour long concert of her about a dozen years ago.....wearing a very sexy short.....and playing a see-thru clear Lexan(?) violin. I was f'ng mesmerized.......

Don't remember that one....though even if I didn't actually stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I've recently been blown away by this certified BADASS...and waddya know, her drummer(Steve Smith) even made a list.

Japan usually has something interesting going on from this...

To this...

Pretty metal if you asked me...

Apologies for any re-posts...

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Don't remember that one....though even if I didn't actually stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I've recently been blown away by this certified BADASS...and waddya know, her drummer(Steve Smith) even made a list.

Holy fukoly.....those fingers?......:rolleyes:

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Japan usually has something interesting going on from this...

To this...

Pretty metal if you asked me...

Apologies for any re-posts...

Japan has ALWAYS been interestingly fascinating in my book......in so many different ways....for like centuries.

(And their Yakitori ain't too bad either).....:lol:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Japan has ALWAYS been interestingly fascinating in my book......in so many different ways....for like centuries.

Yakitori, roast squid on a stick, and takoyaki (octopus balls).

2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I like the Samurai movies.  

7 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I like turtles.

Ever have real sea turtle soup? Holy fukoly....it's even better than abalone.....

6 hours ago, mikewof said:

My first concert.  May 10, 1975 (I looked it up), and I was not yet 14 years old.  First time I had more than a few sips of beer, too.  ZZ Top was the main act, and KISS was the warm-up.  Interesting mix, which the ZZ Top fans in the audience were quite clear about voicing disapproval.

Still have a bunch of their stuff on my playlists.

• Like 1

You should have heard the 'welcome' that Prince received when he opened up for the Stones at the Los Angeles Coliseum back in 1981. I was a bit late getting there (after finding the last parking spot in the area on some guy's front lawn....ten bucks). About a three block walk to the entrance and half way there.....some BIZARRE guitar riffs come flying over head. What the actual fuk? (I was given a last minute ticket for this gig and had no clue who Prince was. In fact, I actually wasn't even a Stones fan. But the venue was outside, on the field, the weather was perfect and the So Cal gals were even more perfecter). Anyways, he got thru that first song and about 2 & half others.....before shit just got too fugly and contentious on stage and the 94k fans were done with his stuff. Very sad thing to personally witness (I had made it inside the stadium at the beginning of the 3rd song....and I was kinda digging the guitar work and the vocals.....but I was seriously in the minority.

This is a good little r & r historical article that I think many of you might enjoy. Worth the time to read.........

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/prince-booed-rolling-stones/

• Like 1
7 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Why?

• Like 1

Ok if we're talking Rock n Roll Hall of Fame badassery, Prince and well...Billy Gibbons...

...I guess this goes here...

23 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Ok if we're talking Rock n Roll Hall of Fame badassery, Prince and well...Billy Gibbons...

...I guess this goes here...

I'm just gonna say Thanx for that... and go on my way.....

15 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Oh gawd but just fuking shoot me now. Stevie Wonder is to music what Amy Shumer is to Victoria's Secret. Jfc, but I'd rather listen to 13 wet screaming cats in a fuking dryer during a hurricane....as Fran Drescher sings the Barney song in Mandarin Chinese with a broken kazoo stuck up her nose.....

Obviously I'm not going to change your fucked-up mind on this, but if a normal person can't find a quadruple-handful of brilliant / beautiful / moving songs in Stevie's entire repertoire then I am truly sorry for them.

I will admit that Steve Miller has put out a lot of dreck, but much of his early stuff (and some of his later songs) is very good.

For that matter Stevie Wonder has had some clunkers, but that doesn't detract from his brilliance.

In a way, I like seeing an artist try and fail occasionally.  It means they are human, and pushing themselves to do something new.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still better than so much of that "autotuned hit song formula" crap that gets airplay these days.  And yes, I am well aware that survival of the fittest works in music, so the oldies that still get played tend to be better than the average of that time.

• Like 1

Music to me is basically just noise. If it's annoyingly irritating and sounds like shit?  Then it gets dumped. No matter who the artist is. And Stevie Wonder's shit is what we used to call (45 years ago in fact) 'Music for fat single chicks who work in office cubicles, own 6 cats....and have Pizza Hut on speed dial'......:lol:

Ugh....

For this post alone, eternal respect, no matter how RW nutjob you go, this will be in the back of my head.

Must confess a certain attachment to "Fly Like An Eagle" always thought it would be a super spacey tune to listen to while skiing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, animeproblem said:

For this post alone, eternal respect, no matter how RW nutjob you go, this will be in the back of my head.

Must confess a certain attachment to "Fly Like An Eagle" always thought it would be a super spacey tune to listen to while skiing.

You've never, ever, have TRULY 'Flown like an Eagle'......until you've surfed 2 to 4 foot near perfect Malibu, at 10 o'clock at night, under a semi-full Moon, in the middle of a warm August evening, wearing nothing but trunks and a 2 gram grin, with three of your closest friends and a handful of 'locals', higher than a giraffe's ass...for 2-plus hours.....then paddling back to shore.....only to find the beach covered in dozens of 8 lb. live squid.....that we quickly gathered up a beach towel full of.....and then walked across PCH to the 24 hour Jack in the Box....and traded about 60 pounds of them for ten burgers and some fries with the Japanese cook. Seriously, one of the most memorable f'ng surf trips of my life.....:lol:

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

To me, it's just sound in time.

Great, now we are splitting philosophical hairs.  

Let me try.  To me it's just oscillations from 20hz to 20k hz arranged in a discernable pattern or not.

18 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

You should have heard the 'welcome' that Prince received when he opened up for the Stones at the Los Angeles Coliseum back in 1981. I was a bit late getting there (after finding the last parking spot in the area on some guy's front lawn....ten bucks). About a three block walk to the entrance and half way there.....some BIZARRE guitar riffs come flying over head. What the actual fuk? (I was given a last minute ticket for this gig and had no clue who Prince was. In fact, I actually wasn't even a Stones fan. But the venue was outside, on the field, the weather was perfect and the So Cal gals were even more perfecter). Anyways, he got thru that first song and about 2 & half others.....before shit just got too fugly and contentious on stage and the 94k fans were done with his stuff. Very sad thing to personally witness (I had made it inside the stadium at the beginning of the 3rd song....and I was kinda digging the guitar work and the vocals.....but I was seriously in the minority.

This is a good little r & r historical article that I think many of you might enjoy. Worth the time to read.........

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/prince-booed-rolling-stones/

A whole lotta shoes got thrown on stage that afternoon.

I'm glad to say I was still wearing mine at the end of his set.

I didn't read the link so this might be redundant, but after the Stone's first song Mick said hello to "LA, the city of the shoes"

• Like 1
17 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

No. 

I've only had it one time and this happened near Mazatlán, Mexico in 1967 or 8, when I was like 12-----when it was still extremely popular and not yet banned. Mom and my stepdad Larry and my little Sis and I were on one of our annual 5 week long road trips throughout Every Place, Mexico....but on this trip we had actually taken the train that we boarded at the US/Mexican border at Mexicali (if I recall correctly, the private state room w/head, dinette & several large opening windows cost my folks like just $78.00 USD, one way to the Yucatan Peninsula....for 3200 something miles----smokin' deal). 

Anyways we stop at Mazatlán for like an hour long lunch break and Mom and I set off to find some freshly caught & boiled Sea of Cortez shrimp....and stumble across a guy with a push cart....selling nothing but seafood cocktails....and Caldo de Cahuama.  I let Mom taste it first.....and the look on her face said it all. The turtle meat was prepared by (according to the 'chef') by cutting it in chunky cubes, simmering in a thick brown broth for a while, then tossed into a huge pan with oil and garlic and jalapeño and some cilantro and gawd knows what else.....then returned to the broth pot for some more swim time, before finally being ladled into some big handmade wooden bowls and served with sliced limes, a few generic bottled hot sauces, soda crackers and some rustic looking fried corn tortillas. Explaining adequately just exactly what it tasted like....is near impossible.....but it's literally still the best tasting thing I've EVER eaten that came out of the ocean.....in 64 years living on the Pacific Coast.....

(A little Mexican  cahuama history...if you're interested).....B)

http://latinamericanscience.org/turtles_mexico

On 4/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, fufkin said:

In the meantime, if there's some sort of dispute about what's badass or not, any list that omits this chick has to be drawn up again!

I hope that someone sees this video and gives her a job, poor thing can't even afford a pair of pants while she plays the drums.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, El Mariachi said:

He's got several absolute kick-ass live versions of that fuking song that I still get goose bumps when I hear them......

Definitely. That's Jimi, right? When he plays you can see the demons behind him trying to drag him into hell.

That was Paul Pena too ... Jet Airliner was his sad song of his painful life, dragging himself through hell to get to heaven, when he played, you could see the demons behind him too. Steve Miller somehow managed to reframe sad songs like Pena's into happy ones, if anything he was too good at holding onto his rights, the Pena version is hardly even available anywhere.

But Jimi, it must have been like seeing the Second Coming when they first saw Jimi, playing lead with some of his fingers, and his own rhythm guitarwith the other fingers. He must have had a computer for a brain ...

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I hope that someone sees this video and gives her a job, poor thing can't even afford a pair of pants while she plays the drums.

:) thisse guye cante afforde drums..............

• Like 1

Not my favorite version.....BUT, any rock song that you can smell the coke blowing out of the speakers....is a great song.....

On 4/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, valis said:

Obviously I'm not going to change your fucked-up mind on this, but if a normal person can't find a quadruple-handful of brilliant / beautiful / moving songs in Stevie's entire repertoire then I am truly sorry for them.

I will admit that Steve Miller has put out a lot of dreck, but much of his early stuff (and some of his later songs) is very good.

For that matter Stevie Wonder has had some clunkers, but that doesn't detract from his brilliance.

In a way, I like seeing an artist try and fail occasionally.  It means they are human, and pushing themselves to do something new.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still better than so much of that "autotuned hit song formula" crap that gets airplay these days.  And yes, I am well aware that survival of the fittest works in music, so the oldies that still get played tend to be better than the average of that time.

Innervisions and Talking Book are two great albums. 

The Steve Miller Band was most interesting when Boz Scaggs was in his band, and Glyn Johns was producing. Boz put out a lot of good stuff, is now back to his blues roots. Give me a choice between him and Miller, I'll choose Skaggs every time. Moments was a great, underrated album. 

• Like 1