Appendix RV - 40 meters?

This year's N2E race is specifying from the new experimental rules the use of Appendix RV. this replaces the language used for years 'replaced by IRPCAS between the hours of sunset and sunrise'.

Here is the new definition of Keep Clear under this appendix.

RV1.1 The definition Keep Clear is changed to: Keep Clear A boat keeps clear of a right-of-way boat if the right-of-way boat can sail her course with no need to take avoiding action and with no less than 40 metres between the boats.

So now I can't pass to windward of a boat unless I'm at least 40 meters away?

Mark zone is increased to 200 meters as well.

sailing.org/tools/documents/2019AppendixRV30112019.docx-[25856].pdf

Didn't seem like using the IRPCAS rules was a problem.  What's this going to solve and not make worse?

Wait, there's more:

RV2.1 Rule 17 is changed to:

17 ON THE SAME TACK; PROPER COURSE

17.1 A leeward boat shall not sail above her proper course while she is within 80 metres of the windward boat.

17.2 When boats on the same tack are within 80 metres of each other, a boat being overtaken shall sail her proper course until the overtaking boat becomes overlapped with her.

17.3 If there is reasonable doubt that a boat is overtaking another boat, it shall be presumed that she is.

So a boat 250 feet to weather of you means you can't luff above proper course.

1 hour ago, condor said:

So a boat 250 feet to weather of you means you can't luff above proper course.

Under IRPCAS if you are stand-on boat you are not allowed to change course at all.

1 hour ago, condor said:

17.2 When boats on the same tack are within 80 metres of each other, a boat being overtaken shall sail her proper course until the overtaking boat becomes overlapped with her.

So a fast assym boat overtaking from behind and to leeward sailing a higher course than I am (lwe are going dw. I am flying traditionla chute, he is ighter displacement assym).....I am not allowed to start keeping clear until the overlap is established? 

19 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

Under IRPCAS if you are stand-on boat you are not allowed to change course at all.

Under IRPCAS, at 250 feet away I wouldn't be a stand-on or give-way vessel for boats of the size in the N2E.  We're so far apart it's not an issue.

It seems to me that the oft-discussed deficiencies of racing under IRPCAS still exist at night, so replacing Part 2 with IRPCAS at night, while enhancing safety, has always been a compromise. So I say bravo to World Sailing for trying to come up with a more appropriate set of rules for the situation, and bravo to NOSA for putting them into practice. 

RV is still experimental so if anyone has gripes or suggestions, feel free to provide feedback via your NA.