Flag Etiquette Anarchy... annual ceremonial flag-flying

Tomorrow is our club's Blessing Of The Fleet, which calls for flying the national ensign, club burgee, officers flag, and hopefully following at least something resembling traditional flag etiquette.

Our boat has a bow staff but not a stern staff. What I have been doing is flying the club burgee at the bow (all proper-like), and the national ensign from the peak of a temporary staff/mast on the starboard side, followed by the senior flag (my wife and I are both club officers) and then a few others like our gold Looper flag.

We will have as guests aboard a Past Commodore of the club as guest, and I am thinking of putting up staff on the port side to fly his flag. A neighbor (also a sailor, club member, and knower-of-all nautical trivia) said this is not proper... but then, neither is flying a string of flags under the national ensign.

I'm torn between saying fuck it, we do whatever we want! and trying to follow something resembling traditional etiquette.

What should I do?

FB- Doug

As senior officers/members of the club, maybe you should follow something resembling traditional etiquette.

Some club flags (eg “Royal” prefix clubs) you have to apply for permission, and come with a warrant and prescribed set of etiquette rules. The flags and burgees have to be handed in if you leave the club.

https://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html

https://www.almanac.com/us-flag-etiquette-rules-and-guidelines

But don’t let it ruin ALL the fun.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Tomorrow is our club's Blessing Of The Fleet, which calls for flying the national ensign, club burgee, officers flag, and hopefully following at least something resembling traditional flag etiquette.

Our boat has a bow staff but not a stern staff. What I have been doing is flying the club burgee at the bow (all proper-like), and the national ensign from the peak of a temporary staff/mast on the starboard side, followed by the senior flag (my wife and I are both club officers) and then a few others like our gold Looper flag.

We will have as guests aboard a Past Commodore of the club as guest, and I am thinking of putting up staff on the port side to fly his flag. A neighbor (also a sailor, club member, and knower-of-all nautical trivia) said this is not proper... but then, neither is flying a string of flags under the national ensign.

I'm torn between saying fuck it, we do whatever we want! and trying to follow something resembling traditional etiquette.

What should I do?

FB- Doug

Get a life?

FKT

Thanks, kind of agree about the officers/tradition thing

Already checked Chapman's and the USPS guide, the problem is that they have no concept of a boat without masts

Members tend to fly lots of flags, I've discouraged the pirate and highball flags as being contrary to the spirit of asking a blessing on your vessel. Nobody... so far... has flown a Confederate flag for this occasion.

We'll be in uniform (I can do it once a year) so that -is- a costume

Had the boat about 5 years now, I should have put a stern staff on it by now... that would simplify this.

4 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Get a life?

FKT

Kind of late for that now, but thanks

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

I kind of guessed you were on the East Coast of the US from the post. Perhaps pirate costumes would help.

Or just butt assed naked!  See Chapman's for clarification of proper flag ranking and where and how they should be flown. Oh, see you have looked at Champmans.  How about some dowel and duct tape, can run some shrouds out to the rail.  I personally favor each flag on it's own staff, ranked by height.  On a more serious note you don't want to be thrown in improper flag etiquette jail either, although as officers w/ other officers on board who is going to perform the citizens arrest.

22 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Chapman's

Chapman's has a publication called Chapman's Boating Etiquette that covers this along with other hard hitting topics like Happy Hour..  ;<)

1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

Rigg's Flag Etiquette

Sounds good but can't find any reference to it

This is it

https://scontent-iad3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/172241770_10222794378581555_251410400995436222_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=_55ugU1FcA0AX-pgnvV&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=d08d0f3092e848d8d9e981191acdf4bc&oe=60985532

Now fully blessed, tomorrow we go out as RC for one of the clubs memorial regattas

FB- Doug

8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

In memory of what? Flag Day?

No, we already forgot Flag Day

It's named after a founding club member who promoted sailing and racing here. Gone before my time, but for a few years his widow gave the trophies. Nice perpetual trophy, we just remounted it on a bigger stand for more names... should be good for another 12 years. Not quite big enough to take a bath in but it's big enough for a baptismal font. Kind of silly considering that we rarely have more than 15 boats competing for it.

The real notable trophy our club has is The Oar which was used at Dunkirk and stays in the Community Center (our equivalent of Town Hall). Winners get a small replica oar on a teak plaque and of course their name/boat's name on The Oar. I suppose that's a memorial too but the race is at the end of summer.

FB- Doug

It is "worries" like this that makes me almost always refer to my club as a "sailing club".  When I was commodore, my lack of attention to the fancy-pants bits of protocol resulted in the office staff giving me an end of term gift of a beach chair with "Commode Door" embroidered on the back.  

So I will take myself out of the recommendation pool.

• Like 1

do what ever you want and if anyone complains tell them to buy their own boat to do what they want. I only fly jolly roger or other country flags. 

It's Tradition that someone shall fly flags saying something quite offencive

likely they will need to tell others what it says as no one likely will notice

best to change someone else's display if they set them up the evening before

you are welcome

2 hours ago, BOKSAROX said:

Fly a Trump 2024 flag Spinnaker.  That's the best flag etiquette.

fifU