I'm looking for a battery for my Quickstep 24 that's mostly a daysailer. 
The battery really only needs to power Raymarine ST60 wind speed/direction and boat speed instruments. 
I'll have an on-board charger, so the battery will be fully charged before each daysail. The battery is charged by the outboard when the outboard is in use, but the outboard has no starter, just a rope starter. 

The boat also also has running lights, cabin lights and a VHF, but they don't see much use and I suppose the lights could be converted to LED to reduce load. 

I'd like to find a battery that's small (light) and not crazy money.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Quickstep192 said:

I'm looking for a battery for my Quickstep 24 that's mostly a daysailer. 
The battery really only needs to power Raymarine ST60 wind speed/direction and boat speed instruments. 
I'll have an on-board charger, so the battery will be fully charged before each daysail. The battery is charged by the outboard when the outboard is in use, but the outboard has no starter, just a rope starter. 

The boat also also has running lights, cabin lights and a VHF, but they don't see much use and I suppose the lights could be converted to LED to reduce load. 

I'd like to find a battery that's small (light) and not crazy money.

Any suggestions?

AGM motorcycle size, whatever group size that is

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

This seems like a very silly question. Is it just me?

have you seen the rest of his thread starters? :blink:

Swap out the Raymarine for solar powered instruments. Get a handheld VHF. A daysailer does not need functioning lights. Women will not lay down in a boat in which they cannot stand up. Thank me later.

• Like 2

when you look at Sears lead acid batteries you will notice that the expensive and cheap batteries from the same group and type all are the same size and Exaxt  same weight...... cause they have the exact same lead plates in them, arranged in the same way and are in fact the same batteries.. i get the heaviest  battery that i can fit in my vehicle for

$54.99

On 4/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, patrese said:

10-20AH Lithium (LiFePo3) does not cost a fortune any more and will last  even with abuse (BMS inside.

This moved me to google ... then Amazon. While the reference didn't address the OP's main concerns, all of which could have been handled by a lawn mower battery for $29.95, or my concern: How could the OP possibly not know this?, it did lead me to read the fine print ... clearly not written by a native English speaker ... I reached the conclusion that these batteries are the very type that can and do explode and burn. Not to be too Asian-Adverse but is this the type of product ya wanna leave on yer boat in the hot sun [15M°C] plugged in to the cheapest charger sold by Harbor Freight? Fuk no sez I!

I don't want to get off on a rant here, I could be wrong.

Do you mismatch the Liion batteries with LiFePo ?

The LiFePo mostly with a BMS do not thermals "Run away" in abuse ( OK if you try to light them up with a torch maybe...

The LiIon do ( in VERY) rare cases. But with a notebook, tablet or even mobile you already have  the devil on board so all is relative.

My last 3 years with my LiFePo on a 24 feet day racer gave me a never before known independence with minimum care about the batterie.

They have nearly no self discharge last twice as long an weight less than half ( OK Not the point here...) 

You can get 10-20AH for 100 Dollars or less via China import now.

Ok lead acid from your dealer round the corner for less BUT you have to care about them in the winter and it might last only 3 year before degrading.

You would never accept modern electronics withe LA batteries but want to by "last centuries technologie" still today?

FWIW, I have a LI power station. It has 250 Wh, and is OK for low Wattage items. I even will power a compact fan.