Dang.   Mac Island has incredibly stringent fire sprinkler codes, which generally means a fire doesn’t get to this level.   That fire may have started in the attic, which if inaccessible, doesn’t require sprinkler coverage.    Perhaps a lightning strike?  
I hope no one was injured.   

2 hours ago, glexpress said:

I think I might have "taken a beer nap" in the attic of that place, glad I don't have a reservation there this year!

That particular 'cottage' is a private residence...

1 minute ago, sidmon said:

For some people - often found stumbling out of the Pony early Tuesday morning - that is no barrier at all.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sidmon said:

It is likely that I'm wrong, all those cottages look the same on the outside and all look like the set from The Shining on the inside.  Hard for me to say exactly which one of these I "Blacked In" at.

Is The Shining on Netflix? How to Stream The Shining Before Doctor Sleep

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, glexpress said:

It is likely that I'm wrong, all those cottages look the same on the outside and all look like the set from The Shining on the inside.  Hard for me to say exactly which one of these I "Blacked In" at.

Lol! Certainly memories can be hazy while making that trek!

Speaking of which, hope to be there in 3 weeks on the Solo Mac...

This year's participant count is one of the highest since the inception of the race in '96!

https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=14408

And a number of folks are turning back around to do the "Big" Mac just a few weeks later...

Nemo (in the Doublehanded Div.)

Gangbusters - with Joey Baker who is doing the Port Huron Solo Mac aboard

Tide The Knot

Global Nomads

Dirk Kreuger of Sea Raider aboard Madcap

Can't remember which boat he crews on, but Matt Dages who skippers Black Magic

Michael Lynch on Kuttys Ark

I know I'm missing some...

Props to 'em!

• Like 3

Looks like Bayview has passed 200 entries for the Port Huron Mac (without any of our Canadian friends)

Chicago Mac appears to be at @ 240

On 6/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, sidmon said:

Lol! Certainly memories can be hazy while making that trek!

Speaking of which, hope to be there in 3 weeks on the Solo Mac...

This year's participant count is one of the highest since the inception of the race in '96!

https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=14408

And a number of folks are turning back around to do the "Big" Mac just a few weeks later...

Nemo (in the Doublehanded Div.)

Gangbusters - with Joey Baker who is doing the Port Huron Solo Mac aboard

Tide The Knot

Global Nomads

Dirk Kreuger of Sea Raider aboard Madcap

Can't remember which boat he crews on, but Matt Dages who skippers Black Magic

Michael Lynch on Kuttys Ark

I know I'm missing some...

Props to 'em!

I just went down memory lane. What fun! 

On 6/2/2021 at 5:14 AM, sidmon said:

House next to the Mackinac Island Yacht Club (blue grey building to the right) -across the street from the marina- burned:

As shitty as this is, it would've been really cool to see them put it out with horse drawn fire-carriages. 

image.png.4ab7e7ea4bda0b4b6f33708f1da6e748.png

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Grinder said:

Pretty interesting to see docking locations based on entry time, to the minute!  

I applaud CYC for sticking to their promise to assign slots based on entry fee payments!  Looks like they have accommodated everyone, and while some boats are being sent to Mac City or St. Ignace, the bulk of the fleet will be on the Island which makes for a fun after-race!

Hroth

• Like 2
13 hours ago, johnhhs said:

Has BYC made any announcements about how they plan to deal with the no firm date for reopening the border?  

Safe bet that all the boats will be on the shore course.

3 hours ago, glexpress said:

Safe bet that all the boats will be on the shore course.

Since the border closing has officially been extended thru July 21 - Yes, Wednesday the 21st with the Race starting on Saturday the 24th, its gotta be shore course for everyone. 

Section 11.3 of the NOR said if the border wasn't opened to recreational travel for watercraft by APRIL 30, all divisions would sail the shore course.  I'm a little surprised that they haven't announced it publicly, or combined the sections on YachtScoring, but it seems like a done deal.  Maybe they're hoping Canada opens up the water so we can still sail to Cove and do a virtual/GPS rounding.  That would be nice, and it was provided for in last years sailing instructions, but I ain't counting on it

I'm just glad we get to race!

• Like 1
On 6/23/2021 at 4:13 PM, GABA said:

Since the border closing has officially been extended thru July 21 - Yes, Wednesday the 21st with the Race starting on Saturday the 24th, its gotta be shore course for everyone. 

Section 11.3 of the NOR said if the border wasn't opened to recreational travel for watercraft by APRIL 30, all divisions would sail the shore course.  I'm a little surprised that they haven't announced it publicly, or combined the sections on YachtScoring, but it seems like a done deal.  Maybe they're hoping Canada opens up the water so we can still sail to Cove and do a virtual/GPS rounding.  That would be nice, and it was provided for in last years sailing instructions, but I ain't counting on it

I'm just glad we get to race!

I'm pretty sure it came out in an email blast at some point that the race would be Shore only.  At least, I remember seeing one.

CYC just issued NOR Amendment #4, giving boats until midnight July 2 to submit their ORC certificates.  Guessing Bayview will be right behind them (they do have an extra week before the start). 

I feel for the RCs, how the heck are you supposed to set your section breaks without ratings?

US Sailing has sure screwed the pooch on the rollout of ORC :ph34r:

On 6/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, GABA said:

I feel for the RCs, how the heck are you supposed to set your section breaks without ratings?

Yes that sucks, but maybe stop playing ratings hopscotch and pick one, instead of jumping to the new hotness every couple of years.

(This is more of a Bayview thing than a CYC thing, since CYC has been on ORR for years.  But they did just switch too.)

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, coyotepup said:

Yes that sucks, but maybe stop playing ratings hopscotch and pick one, instead of jumping to the new hotness every couple of years.

(This is more of a Bayview thing than a CYC thing, since CYC has been on ORR for years.  But they did just switch too.)

Me thinks this is more of a US Sailing issue than a YC issue...my understanding is that the individual who championed ORR is no longer with us thus the switch to ORC.  Then, I understand there have been some recent changes at US Sailing that has put a wrench in the works.  Overall, things will likely get sorted in time for the race.  The Bay View Mac entry deadline is not until July 9 anyway--so two weeks ahead of the race.  CYC keeps extending the deadline for certificates to accommodate the issues at US Sailing.

Hroth

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Grinder said:

Back to PHRF in 3 years ;)

IOR in 4.   Time to start buying up those boats in the Landfill thread.  Then some of us can set up cottage industries teaching others how to sail 'em !

• Like 1

Hope y'all have a great race and stay safe . . 

with 228 miles of fair winds and following seas . .  however unlikely that is. 

I always wanted to do a Mac, but looks like it will not happen. 

Lesson - Don't put off the really important stuff, like the Mac.

27 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Hope y'all have a great race and stay safe . . 

with 228 miles of fair winds and following seas . .  however unlikely that is. 

I always wanted to do a Mac, but looks like it will not happen. 

Lesson - Don't put off the really important stuff, like the Mac.

I'm racing up this year with a grand ram (55th race) and soon to be grand ram (this is his 50th).  You're never too old to do this race!

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, glexpress said:

You're never too old to do this race!

Really appreciate the sentiment - thanks !!