Does anyone have experience with this product?  Does something similar exist if this is no longer available?

Were looking to get a 230 lb hull on top of a box trailer or SUV without using a crane or 4 people.  

Thanks

Thule makes the "Hullivator." This is the same concept. I tried to adapt a hullivator for an opti and it didn't go well. The overhung load is REALLY hard on the mounting points to the car. I would be VERY hesitant to do this with a Melges 15 for fear I'd cave in the roof with all the leverage applied by the hull on one side. 

Instead, I'd look at a way to use one of these. 

Ultra-Tow Hydraulic Pickup Truck Crane With Hand Winch — 2000-Lb. Capacity | Northern Tool

I can reinforce the trailer roof.  I agree that it may be a bit much for a van/suv.

Ive considered what you shared but thats 125lbs and would need to be removed when not in use.  A low profile mini davit would be neat but i could buy another boat for the cost of one of those.

Here is another one.  Just need to add a few eyebolts to the hull;-)

I've had good luck with a bracket that sits on top of my trailer hitch and pivots horizontally to load on the roof rack.  Got it on eBay or amazon.  You lift the stern onto the bracket and then walk the hull around to the roof rack.

4 minutes ago, guerdon said:

I've had good luck with a bracket that sits on top of my trailer hitch and pivots horizontally to load on the roof rack.  Got it on eBay or amazon.  You lift the stern onto the bracket and then walk the hull around to the roof rack.

Tell us more about this. Did you get a "load extender"? 

That's pretty much the whole story.  I have used it for canoes up to about 150lbs.  You will have to use the internet.. I have never seen another one.  I got it for my dotage, and love of long boats and small cars.  It spreads the load between the hitch and the rack.  Good luck.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:54 AM, Fretz said:

Does anyone have experience with this product?  Does something similar exist if this is no longer available?

Were looking to get a 230 lb hull on top of a box trailer or SUV without using a crane or 4 people.  

Thanks

Wow, you could carry two ILCA's to the regatta.  One on the side and one on top. You could also strap the dolly to the boat

Why not a regular boat trailer? No heavy lifting, no stress on the car. Some reason you don't want a trailer?

• Like 1

@ Xonk1 Road trailers have many disadvantages:

Restrictive Traffic Laws

Tolls

Expense of purchase

Expense to maintain / flats

Expense to add hitch

Expense to add lighting harness

Registration

Title

Plate

Where to store it if you can keep boat strapped to garage ceiling?

Minor fender bender on way to regatta? w/ boat on top, no biggie, w/ trailer = regatta over.

More stuff to store at YC during regatta

Harder to park the car

and the list goes on and on... 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, xonk1 said:

Why not a regular boat trailer? No heavy lifting, no stress on the car. Some reason you don't want a trailer?

We currently have a box trailer with 3 boats inside and I'd like to put a 4th on the roof.  More importantly id like to be able to do it without moving the trailer to a hoist as that requires time that might not exist on the last day of the event when there are people trying to get out of town.   Using U-ship to move the trailer and flying in means we don't have a means to move the trailer on site either. 

Longest extension ladder that fits inside your box. Take it apart so you have two pieces. Use the 2 pieces as ramps to slide boat up the box. 2 wood cradles for boat that double as trolley cars on the ladders and roof rack cradles. HDPE or some other plastic on faces that bear on ladder verticals. A line over, around and back under trailer to one of the loader people should have enough friction when loaded to easily belay the assembly. Put a video on YouTube so you can share it with anyone inexperienced with your system. 

Or

Some sort of pin rail system inside rear door of trailer that will accept support arms spaced about 1' vertical separation. Boat sideways across door. Lift each end aternately and move that arm up 1 incement. Could be permanently attached to side walls.

Someone cleverer will now point out how bad my ideas are and actually offer a good solution now I've thrown myself on this grenade.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Fretz said:

We currently have a box trailer with 3 boats inside and I'd like to put a 4th on the roof.  More importantly id like to be able to do it without moving the trailer to a hoist as that requires time that might not exist on the last day of the event when there are people trying to get out of town.   Using U-ship to move the trailer and flying in means we don't have a means to move the trailer on site either. 

Assume you're confident of the stability of the trailer with a fourth boat on that top?

I have a double stacker that lowers, useful when you have 2 daughters and a 12 year old son. All big stackers I've seen have relied on brute force to load them. Fine when you have all the crews there, but as you say not something to do on your own.

It's amazing how quickly the dinghy park empties when it's time to load a stacker.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, European Bloke said:

It's amazing how quickly the dinghy park empties when it's time to load a stacker.

exactly. 

Back to my initial post with the Hull Heaver.   the trailer is 7'wide and 7 1/2'tall and 2200 lbs before the boats go in.  the boat is 5 1/2'wide and 230 lbs.  Stability isn't a concern.

if a laser is 130lbs this should work if it was a bit wider/stronger.  At a minimum we would have 2 people.  Im not trying for solo here.

Why not just buy the MLD-1 Hull Heaver from them?  If you watch the video, they show a facebook link, which has an email address.  hullheaver@gmail.com 

Sorry to be the spoiler of a fun thread but that seems to be the answer, why re-invent the wheel.

6 hours ago, WCB said:

Why not just buy the MLD-1 Hull Heaver from them?  If you watch the video, they show a facebook link, which has an email address.  hullheaver@gmail.com 

Sorry to be the spoiler of a fun thread but that seems to be the answer, why re-invent the wheel.

There haven't been updates to the facebook page for some time and they haven't responded to email.

5 hours ago, Fretz said:

There haven't been updates to the facebook page for some time and they haven't responded to email.

I saw the lack of posts but I wondered if it was just enough of a garage business that they did it on the side and you'd still be able to get your racks.