Explosive boat building from the past

I love this idea and video. I wanted to use this explosive blast forming on the Titanium catamaran and did a good bit of research on just what it would take but the client was dubious.  The build was originally going to take place at Michoud NASA facility just east of New Orleans (now known as NCAM, National Center for Advanced Manufacturing) and the rocket scientists there like the idea and offered to underwrite some of the costs especially as they were really interested in the fact that we would be using Titanium. The client didn't think his big catamaran really needed to be built in the shade of the Lockheed, Boeing, and NASA new moon rocket and the project was started in Anacortes. It was hard enough to get the builder to use an English Wheel and the toughness of the Ti over aluminum plate probably made the builder wish he could blow the whole thing up, with me in it!

Thanks for posting this 'blast from the past' Tranquilo!  I know, bad pun...

• Like 1

Sailed on Gelignite last century when she was new. Good boat but nothing special. Don't know whereabouts now however.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Sailed on Gelignite last century when she was new. Good boat but nothing special. Don't know whereabouts now however.

Phil, didn't John Alsop of Triton 24 fame experiment with explosive forming back in the day?  Extremely old fashioned hull design (reminded me of a Hartley RORC 32 Ferrocement hull) probably didn't do much for sales volumes.  It was touted as the next big thing, but never really took off. 

IIRC Ben Lexcen tried it with one or more of his Eureka's.  Pretty hit and miss with material placement vis a vis loading points.

I thought Gelignite was a Lexen, at a similar time to the Eureka's

1 hour ago, Jethrow said:

I thought Gelignite was a Lexen, at a similar time to the Eureka's

Ah, maybe that's what I was thinking of.  Damn memory.

Perhaps related:

Watch "Explosively hydroforming a steel sphere" on YouTube

Apparently not unusual for forming spherical tanks. Hydroforming without a traditional pump.