Offshore sportboat.   Has 2x cabin top Harken #16 Two-speeds and a pair of #40 Quattros.....   all non-self tailing.

I'm redoing the deck and they are 25 years old so I think it's time to replace them.   The 16s have never given any problems and seem to be in good serviceable shape.   The Quattros required a new sleeves be pressed in years back for the two spring loaded pawls.  They have been working well but require much more frequently cleaning to keep the pawls from sticking now and again.   

So the new winches should likely be self-tailing.   It will speed up some maneuvers shorthanded.

Never use the Quattro base drum so that's off the list.

So this search began because Harken no longer makes a small two speed winch.....   WTF !  

Leaning toward Antal as they still have a two-speed #16 self tailer.   Any other suggestions for a matching set of winches?

What about aluminum Lewmars during the next 2 for 1 sale?  You just missed one though...

I find my Harken winches to be better built than my Lewmars, but I also have 30 year old Lewmars still doing the job, so they can’t be that bad...

The compact would be my take over the 40s. The Antal winches are nice but good luck getting anything from Antal right now you might be waiting months...

it looks like Harken will also do a performa self tailing 20 which is still 1 speed but the plain top is 2 speed??

even the Lewmar 16 is 1 speed

Andersen do a 28 2 speed ST

looks like the Antal winch is the only one!

Just be careful in looking at numbers for sizing on winches.  The Harken numbers refer to the power output, not just a size.

35.2STA radial Harken winches are only slightly larger than the old 16's, but give twice the output.  They still make small winches, just the ratios are better.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:23 AM, JL92S said:

The compact would be my take over the 40s. The Antal winches are nice but good luck getting anything from Antal right now you might be waiting months...

it looks like Harken will also do a performa self tailing 20 which is still 1 speed but the plain top is 2 speed??

even the Lewmar 16 is 1 speed

Andersen do a 28 2 speed ST

looks like the Antal winch is the only one!

Yeah I have a pair of lewmar two-speed ST's that are ~10 years old and doing awesome, absolutely one of the nicest peices of gear on the boat

I just replaced some old barient 16 single speeds non tailing with lewmar ocean 30 2-speed self-tailing winches. The lewmars are lighter and about the same base size.

• Like 1
On 4/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, ryley said:

I just replaced some old barient 16 single speeds non tailing with lewmar ocean 30 2-speed self-tailing winches. The lewmars are lighter and about the same base size.

Listening to this... getting to be time to replace the Barient 50's and cabin top winches on mine... Next 2for1 day... 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

Listening to this... getting to be time to replace the Barient 50's and cabin top winches on mine... Next 2for1 day... 

this is the one area where worst marine will beat your local supplier, if you are ok with Lewmars. If you want something else, go somewhere else, but my local guy absolutely hates the WM lewmar sale because he can't touch it.

That said, I bought mine from him anyway because I want him to stay in business :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:42 AM, solosailor said:

Offshore sportboat.   Has 2x cabin top Harken #16 Two-speeds and a pair of #40 Quattros.....   all non-self tailing.

I'm redoing the deck and they are 25 years old so I think it's time to replace them.   The 16s have never given any problems and seem to be in good serviceable shape.   The Quattros required a new sleeves be pressed in years back for the two spring loaded pawls.  They have been working well but require much more frequently cleaning to keep the pawls from sticking now and again.   

So the new winches should likely be self-tailing.   It will speed up some maneuvers shorthanded.

Never use the Quattro base drum so that's off the list.

So this search began because Harken no longer makes a small two speed winch.....   WTF !  

Leaning toward Antal as they still have a two-speed #16 self tailer.   Any other suggestions for a matching set of winches?

I have 2 new in the box Harken 40.2 STA's left from a project that didn't happen.  Never mounted.  If you're interested, I'll make you a HELL of a deal.  Leroi

On 5/4/2021 at 7:18 AM, voodoochile said:

I have 2 new in the box Harken 40.2 STA's left from a project that didn't happen.  Never mounted.  If you're interested, I'll make you a HELL of a deal.  Leroi

Thanks, guys!  Sold in 24 hrs.  VC