Go Fund Me has been set up for Hobot - please donate.

Some Pacific Pesos on the way ...

Hey, this place is useful for something after all!

• Like 3

I've always been a sucker for a pretty face. Go the Bot!

I haven't felt this good about SA forums in a long while!

WFD, Mates!

• Like 5

Bump bumps

done, was rather touched, my middle son, now 15years old, has had a monkey the same as in that picture since the day he was born. it doesn't look like that anymore. 

Get well

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this Boomer.  It's a lot of work.  

Hobot is getting all the help he can get, it's good that you are talking to Hope.  Keep in mind that when the immediate crisis is stabilized and Hobot gets discharged, there is still a lot going on and the initial wave of support tends to dissipate.  It's the long haul that becomes important and there is far less support because the excitement dies down and people move on to other things.  In the midst of a crisis, decisions are easy because the choices are limited and many people are helping.  When the immediate crisis is resolved, the real work begins, the day to day grind.   I hope that Hope has a good support system and uses it.  She needs to stay strong to help Hobot through the long road ahead.  It's wonderful that there are caring people like you around.  And make sure you take of yourself too Boomer.

Go the Hobot!, Go the Hope!, Go the Boomer!

I hit the button on the Go Fund Me.

• Like 1

Hey Boomer, maybe you can put this on the SA forum, that gets many more views than here at GA I would think.  I would do it but you are leading the charge and I don't want to step on your toes as it were.

Also maybe you can PM Scot and he can put a blurb and a link on the mythical Front Page.  I've heard that some people here have actually found it.

The more exposure the better.

• Like 3

Good idea Ed - I'll reach out to Scot, too.

SA won't let me like any more posts. Must have to wait 24 hours.

Thanks for all the continued donations through the night, your kindness shows through your generosity.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, boomer said:

Thanks for all the continued donations through the night, your kindness shows through your generosity.

Hobot is 'one of us' or none of us are worthy.  I'm excited that there is $5K in the till and will be downright giddy if it hits ten.  I did give blood yesterday and compared to getting the vax, it was a pain in the ass.  But I will do it again in 6 weeks, again with Hobot in mind.   I don't know how to put this, but the gofund page shows someone who  I'm guessing is younger than me, that hits home.  Please help if you can.   

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, boomer said:

Boomer, you are a rock star in my book!  Ed, you're at least a lead guitarist  who gets the groupies (and attendant std's).

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Hobot is 'one of us' or none of us are worthy.  I'm excited that there is $5K in the till and will be downright giddy if it hits ten.  I did give blood yesterday and compared to getting the vax, it was a pain in the ass.  But I will do it again in 6 weeks, again with Hobot in mind.   I don't know how to put this, but the gofund page shows someone who  I'm guessing is younger than me, that hits home.  Please help if you can.   

Quite generous donating blood during this pandemic, when blood banks can use every blood donation they get and as we've seen the use of in this thread. I know several SAers who even before the pandemic, made a habit of donating blood regularly. It's been a while for me, too, and a good reminder to donate.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, boomer said:

Quite generous donating blood during this pandemic, when blood banks can use every blood donation they get and as we've seen the use of in this thread. I know several SAers who even before the pandemic, made a habit of donating blood regularly. It's been a while for me, too, and a good reminder to donate.

I'm O- and am ashamed I haven't donated recently.  I recently bought this cool little device off Amazon (of course), it does an ECG, heart rate, and blood pressure.  I was worried each metric would be off the charts,  ECG was reported as normal. Resting pulse at 60, BP 120/80.  I'm very lucky.

I miss Hobot, he added quantity and more importantly quality to this site!

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Boomer, you are a rock star in my book!  Ed, you're at least a lead guitarist  who gets the groupies (and attendant std's).

Aw shucks thanks.  My bit pales compared to Boomer's work here.

I might be a crusty, cynical old bastard with a bit of a temper but when it comes to people in need, I am in my element.  I get no greater joy from anything in life than helping people out.  And there are plenty of good antibiotics for the STDs nowadays as long as you get them early enough.  

We might be a varied assortment of miscreants here but in my experience in the time I've been a member, people are always willing to do whatever they can to help out another anarchist.  It's kind of like, "He might be a bastard, but he's our bastard dammit." (Substitute she if you wish, I'm no sexist, it's just that we have far more men here.)  Warms my old scarred heart it does.

BTW, those numbers on your pulse, BP and such are pretty darn good for an oldish guy, keep it up.  I wouldn't put much stock in the ECG, even a 12 lead in the hospital can give a wonky reading if the leads aren't place correctly.  But if something were really, really wrong, it would probably pick it up and warn you.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Aw shucks thanks.  My bit pales compared to Boomer's work here.

For most of you, and those that don't remember, I lost my brother to cancer last June.  Imagine being told your best friend will die within weeks and you will be where I was.  I reached out to Ed as we had talked a few times and he grew up in a place I knew.  I don't remember if it was before or after my brother's death, but I know with great certainty that his thoughts, words, and general compassion helped me through the darkest days of my life.  

Viewing Hobot's selections was a happy escape as well.  Please keep him in your thoughts.  

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

For most of you, and those that don't remember, I lost my brother to cancer last June.  Imagine being told your best friend will die within weeks and you will be where I was.  I reached out to Ed as we had talked a few times and he grew up in a place I knew.  I don't remember if it was before or after my brother's death, but I know with great certainty that his thoughts, words, and general compassion helped me through the darkest days of my life.  

Viewing Hobot's selections was a happy escape as well.  Please keep him in your thoughts.  

Thanks Cal, I really appreciate the kind words.  I am happy to have provided you some comfort and support in a very dark and difficult time for you.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sorry if I Mistook.  All about Hobot, we cool?

All good!  Just wanted to let CF that I matched his donation.  

On the same note, The Editor tossed in $500 from SA and $100 under his own name!  

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

How cool are we, a day we're not assholes but looking out for one of our brothers,  I am proud of us!

Almost a third of the way to Boomer's and Hope's goal of $25,000 in a day!  I hope that it will go above and beyond that amount.  But most of all, I hope that Hobot recovers and keeps digging up the photos that he does.  

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

How cool are we, a day we're not assholes but looking out for one of our brothers,  I am proud of us!

We're cool, BECAUSE we're assholes - in order to hide a marshmallow center.  ;)

• Like 2

Done. Seems only fair for all the hours of enjoyment I got from his awesome photos. Best of luck Hobot, get well soon mate.

• Like 3

Hobot allowed us to see the world in his eyes:

iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/evN6DIGPIJM?list=RDDTv0K2SUlCY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

We're cool, BECAUSE we're assholes - in order to hide a marshmallow center.  ;)

And that ladies and gentlemen is the bitter, ugly, yet strangely touching truth of SA.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

theire ist some truthe?

The truth is everywhere grasshopper.  Yet there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.  

Just now, Ed Lada said:
4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

theire ist some truthe?

The truth is everywhere grasshopper.  Yet there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.  

I no, I wase tryning be funney...........                     :)

13 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I no, I wase tryning be funney...........                     :)

Please Snaggs, I knew that!  So was I.  ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

And that ladies and gentlemen is the bitter, ugly, yet strangely touching truth of SA.  

Anyone who's ever closed down a yacht club bar knows that every sailor is a weepy-eyed romanticist under it all.

Well, maybe not Dennis Conners... but, you know.  ;)

Not ignoring this!

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 9:00 PM, PurpleOnion said:

Done.

First installment at least.

Second installment.  So I would feel less guilty about bumping the thread.

Unfortunately, now I feel like a woman who has her $2,000 shoe purchase spread across multiple credit cards in the hopes that it will seem smaller when viewed by a spouse.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, flyingdog said:

Donated. I don't like messy numbers...

Was wondering who that was...

Thanks for bringing it up to an even $12K - much appreciated!

1 minute ago, Dorado said:

Not sure. Haven't been there in years. 

I think the front fell off of this place years ago.  

Probably the only think keeping it afloat is all of the tits.  

I’m broke until tomorrow but I’ll bump it again to help hit the goal. I like seeing good people helping good people

6 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Purchased another share of Hobot Industries.  

We're Past the 50% Mark, You Magnificent Bastards!   

I can't do it this week, but I hope to match your Buy-In next week!  I'm slamming the brakes on the car really hard at every stoplight in the hopes that more coins come out from under the seat!  The good news is that I found my missing VCR Remote under the couch cushions!  And, I haven't ordered anything from Midway USA in the last month!  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, silent bob said:

I can't do it this week, but I hope to match your Buy-In next week!  I'm slamming the brakes on the car really hard at every stoplight in the hopes that more coins come out from under the seat!  The good news is that I found my missing VCR Remote under the couch cushions!  And, I haven't ordered anything from Midway USA in the last month!  

Doooooooood, you've already done well. 

Charlotte and I have been very fortunate throughout this Wuh Flu nonsense. Rated "essential", we both worked continuously.  And even when we got the Rona (gawd only knows how) it was a light touch; I only missed a day and a half of work, Charlotte a bit more. She did have to quarantine for a couple of weeks (company mandate), while I telecommuted from my spare bedroom.  Life's been good. 

So we're sharing our outrageous fortune.  Local merchants get much more business, servers at local eateries get huge tips, and a fellow sailor threatened by an merciless lee shore gets a deserved assist. Everything is relative: Remember, you've got a boat to feed.  ;) 

• Like 2

Update:  Very Early Morning, 20 April 2021: Hobot is awake, aware and moving.  He's put his legs over the side of the bed - a huge milestone.  He's still in ICU, expecting to go to a regular hospital bed in a day or two.  In the "Hobot has COVID 19" thread, Boomer describes his telephone call with Hobot.  

"Just tell them, "I'm alive"" and "Thank You."  

Hobot has a very long recovery ahead of him. It's not going to be easy to recovering his strength and to restore his atrophied muscle motor skills. He'll need all of Hope and Boomer's support.  As well as ours.  Please donate.  

• Like 5

Mark called and sounded a bit down about his progress, and about though he knows he needs the rehab, he can't wait to get back home.

Though his body is recovering, his brain is getting foggier and he's finding it's increasingly difficult to piece words together.

Just talking with him, there are long pauses as he builds what and how he's going to construct a sentence.

He said, each day he feels his mind gets progressively worse, while his body continues to get better.

He's working with a physical therapist, who's given him a flexible band and set of exercises to build upper body strength.

All he can do is continue to eat a full wide ranging diet and exercise, knowing that eventually his mind will catch up to his recovery efforts.

He once again wanted to relay his thanks to the support he's seen here, and was getting a bit choked up relaying this.

I put my wife on the phone, because he gains an uplifting support, when he hears her voice, and when she reiterated what his doctor, physical therapist and everyone else is trying to impress upon him - Linda had it on speakerphone - Mark was getting a bit choked up again, as she told him, he's gonna have to stay the course, eat and exercise and that it'll take time for his mind to catch up, but it will - perhaps several months or more for a full recovery. 

Mark's oxygen monitor has been displaying 98% oxygen levels for a couple days now.  Didn't ask if they were using a pulse oximeter to monitor his oxygene levels or what - but assume they are. The normal range of oxygen saturation is 94-98% at rest in patients without chronic lung disease. A pulse oximeter reading of 92% or lower is one defining feature of “severe” disease in acute covid-19. So that's a good thang, and means he probably won't be on oxygen at home.

Covid-19 effects everyone differently, another friend and his wife whom both got Covid-19 is spring of of 2020 at a wedding, recovered totally differently: my friend Manny recovered fairly quickly and was out of the hospital in a couple weeks, and not on oxygen at home. His wife Annette, though not having to be intubated, was in the hospital for a month and is still on oxygen at home 11 months later.

Anyway I'm hoping the brain fog won't last to long, and some of those who recover from the Covid 19, recover from the brain fog in a couple weeks, others it lingers on for a couple months, and from what I read, with 28% it lingers for over a 100 days. So keep those po