Finally getting to outside boat projects, did some mechanical stuff, got the sails off for misc. repairs, scrubbed the dodger and started on the cabin and deck today.  Man, I really needed some boat therapy, have a couple of cruises locally (still not going to be able to cross the cheese curtain into Canada anytime soon) so going to take advantage of one of best cruising areas in the world which is my hood in the PNW.  What's up w/ other anarchists plans to cut the lines and get out on the water??

My daughter will be visiting me in the SF Bay Area in a few weeks. We'll cruise around the bay for a day or two then head up towards Bodega Bay or maybe down to Half Moon Bay. Not really sure which way we'll go yet.

We are hopefully going north this summer, back to the Octopus Islands and beyond. It really depends on what this wretched virus is doing by then.

• Like 1

We've been cruising all winter in local Gambier Island & Bedwell Bay spots with a couple trips to the gulf islands and sunshine coast.

Looking to do a Desolation trip towards the end of June and Gulf Islands every weekend the weather is suitable. :)

My old man is moving from Wisconsin to Seattle so I'll have some San Juan/Puget Sound cruising in my future once the border opens up again.

We hope to splash late April-mid May and prepare for Pacific NW Offshore. Then cruise SJI with family for a week before heading across the gulf to Seward or thereabouts.

2 minutes ago, jdazey said:

We hope to splash late April-mid May and prepare for Pachific NW Offshore. Theb cruise SJI with family for a week before heading across the gulf to Seward or thereabouts.

Straight from the San Juans to Seward?

Well we'll regroup in Poulsbo before heading out the Straits and across.  We did a sprint through BC last year stopping only twice and carefully observing protocols. That was with a destination in Southeast. Return was offshore from Sitka. This years we'll go across and perhaps do BC on the return Covid willing.

Between some major repairs, covid, and a new baby, we were tied to the dock for 376 days straight last year (the year before we spent 40 nights on the boat). Things are getting desperate, but I'm on track for 6 weeks up the coast this summer. Going to visit Princess Louisa for the first time before hitting up familiar haunts in Desolation and beyond.

Took my buddy's boat out yesterday to knock the green off.  Blowing around 17 knots or so with gusts into the 20s off of Shileshole.  

Taking my boat out this weekend to Poulsbo.  

August plan is north if Canada let's us or maybe South Sound if they don't.  Maybe the SJs again.  Either way, we are going somewhere!

IMG_1958.thumb.jpg.4a0ab89c9e4c2ab9e07c31827c8dab2e.jpg

• Like 1

It's not the most impressive boat or cruising designs on this website, but I've been preparing my 1986 Catalina 22 for my second season of ownership. I just spent the better part of 3 days underneath the boat sanding off several layers of old paint from prior years. It was painful and dusty but the hope is to avoid another impromptu aquaculture farm on the bottom this season in the warm water on the south side of Cape Cod. My goal is to splash her May 1 this year so I have some time to sail before tuna season begins this summer. The boat sits on a mooring in Harwich and I hope to get trips in to Hadley Harbor, Cuttyhunk, and Nantucket, none of which I've ever visited despite living on Cape Cod my whole life.

• Like 3

Going all those places on a Catalina 22 will be a great adventure, enough to justify all the pain of maintaining it. I'd love to be back in the water May 1, but I doubt I can make it by then.

• Like 1

I hope to get back to my boat in Panama after 15 months away in June, and spend a month in the San Blas islands, covid and my rotator cuff surgery recovery willing.

Sea Change March 2020.jpg

• Like 4

Continuing the slow steady slog to get my Centaur in the condition I want her to be in. I fabbed up a quick and dirty hatch garage last year, and got her into the water. Made sure she floated and didn't take on more water through the topsides.

This year, I expect to order a professional hatch garage, shipped over from the UK. Should have thought about owning a British built boat on this side of The Pond, but hey... it's only money, right? It'll cost me just as much for shipping as it will for the garage. I'll be replacing a thruhull and ball valve on the intake for the head, then new paint, bottom and topsides. Get her name (Congress Berry) properly on the transom, with a line art drawing of her namesake on the bow. Close friend of mine had a horse of the same name growing up, and she loved that horse. Seems fitting to name a Centaur after a horse, even if the boat's a 4ksb. Name's gotta add at least a quarter knot, right?

Hmmm...keeping it local but that's easy to do. My club has 4 outstations and one is only under an hour and half away at 7 knots, depending with weather and tide current. I had a health issue last year so spent 10 days in one place. 40 acres uplands, an old orchard and hiking a plenty. No roads to speak of and it's left to it's natural state (at one point). If you want to the big city experience Gibsons is an hour away.  Then one at Gabriola Pass on the inside Strait of the Gulf Island. Again, left in it's natural state except the docks and a ramp on to the island. No water or electricity to speak of and we prefer it that way. 

https://www.wvyc.ca/outstations

BTW - the cover shot is the Canada Day celebration and busy as it gets. During the week you would say 5 or 6 boats on the docks is busy. Last year there was many days we had the joint to ourselves. I don't hate people but there is a certain zen being there alone.

_IMG7033 (1280x854).jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful pic, but how do you tie up without pilings? :P

Forecast here this weekend is sunny, a bit chilly with not much wind. It's a boat-cleaning and odd-job kind of weekend, with a radio playing and maybe a beer in there along the way.

40 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Beautiful pic, but how do you tie up without pilings? :P

Forecast here this weekend is sunny, a bit chilly with not much wind. It's a boat-cleaning and odd-job kind of weekend, with a radio playing and maybe a beer in there along the way.

There is a few pilings about but is anchored by big logging chains. The seaway doesn't get in there. If it's 30+ we just get chop. That bay is hidden back into the NE. It's only been an issue once or twice. Once and awhile we get what I call a SW buster. Rare in the summer months.