Good surveyors in Maine for Rockland/Rockport/Camden area

I was pretty happy with the job that Gene Barnes did on my survey last year in Southwest Harbor. Here's his contact info:

E. F. BARNES, INC.

Yacht Surveyors and Consultants

Post Office Box 718 Gloucester, MA 01931-0718

Office 978-281-6040 Mobile: 508-284-3969

I've used Joseph Lobley a couple times for insurance surveys and the like.  

JBL Marine, Inc.

1665 Winslow Mills Rd.

Waldoboro, Maine 04572

Ph. 207-557-5300

It seems that there are fewer and fewer around these days, and hopefully some of the guys further downeast chime in as I just don't know as many in that neck of the woods.

We use Kevin Harris in Bath a lot, and he is a really knowledgeable and likeable guy.

Harris Marine Surveyors, LLC
98 State Road
Bath, ME 04530, USA
(207) 837-2819

Let me know if you get stuck on a Yanmar guy. I currently don't have anyone factory trained in electronic motors (Covid sort of disrupted the training plan for last off season) but I do have a tech that is mechanically factory trained up to the 440hp or so size range. He often will do motor inspections/surveys during off hours, but I would feel like there MUST be someone a little closer.

7 minutes ago, suider said:

It seems that there are fewer and fewer around these days, and hopefully some of the guys further downeast chime in as I just don't know as many in that neck of the woods.

We use Kevin Harris in Bath a lot, and he is a really knowledgeable and likeable guy.

98 State Road
Bath, ME 04530, USA
(207) 837-2819

Let me know if you get stuck on a Yanmar guy. I currently don't have anyone factory trained in electronic motors (Covid sort of disrupted the training plan for last off season) but I do have a tech that is mechanically factory trained up to the 440hp or so size range. He often will do motor inspections/surveys during off hours, but I would feel like there MUST be someone a little closer.

This motor is old and 30 HP, so probably not much in the way of computers involved :)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This motor is old and 30 HP, so probably not much in the way of computers involved :)

I gotcha... but Yanmar cuts a large swath these days, and I didn't know what you were looking at! Heck, we just did a electronic motor installation down in the 45hp range this off season!

2 hours ago, suider said:

98 State Road
Bath, ME 04530, USA
(207) 837-2819

I also used Kevin Harris. He did survey two years ago on my boat including yanmar 3gm30 

And here's more from the group: 

Mike McHenry at Maine Design.

Dan MacNaughton had been working @ Belmont Boatworks is now at Maine Design.

danmacn@hotmail.com

Nick Patey

Me. Cribblecove.com

CRIBBLECOVE.COM

Marine Surveys, Repairs & Storage | Cribble Cove Boating Solutions | Maine

Marine Surveys, Repairs & Storage | Cribble Cove Boating Solutions | Maine

Dave Mason

gets my vote!

Kevin Harris 207-837-2819 Bath Maine

Brian Brailsford 207-350-0326

Chris Avallone 207-400-2330

John McDonough 603-303-4104 Rye NH

Steve Bunnell 508-681-9399 Cape Cod MA but in Maine regularly

Gene Barnes 508-284-3969 Blue Hill

Tony Theriault 207-232-8820 Portland Maine

5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I've used Joe Lobley for several years, he's very good. 

I just posted on the Maine Sailing and Cruising FB group. This name was posted: 

https://www.marinesurvey.org/surveyors/united-states/maine/saco/nicholas-g-patey-sa/

You should try them all. Nobody I know in service/trade, isn't busy right now. 

He's also the donations manager for MMA, unless there's two of them.

Tony Theriault did a survey for me 2 years ago and he was excellent. also a really nice guy. I can also vouch for nick patey as well. I know him well, he's a good surveyor and also an excellent systems tech and laminates guy. he did a repower and a rewire for me on my Hinckley 38 and his work was excellent.