New Readers and Writers sub forum?

New Readers and Writers sub forum  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Interest in new forum

• yes, I'm interested
    • No,
    • Maybe, tell us more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/14/2021 at 04:19 PM

NEW!

Book and writers forum

Heads up.

One for the readers and writers.

Scot’s given the OK for a new sub forum in the Non Sailing part of the forum.

What else? Readers and Scribblers Anarchy. (or something :) )

Focus on all things nautical of course, but all Genres welcome.

Somewhere to talk about that great book you’ve just finished.

Post your short essays

Even an anarchistically organised book club.

Please PM me if you have any thoughts .

Meli

9 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

NEW!

Book and writers forum

Heads up.

Post your short essays

Meli

book club? do paper wrapped magazines count too?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

NEW!

Book and writers forum

Heads up.

Post your short essays

Meli

Do you promise to stay in it and end your ignorant fascination with the USA?

• Like 4

Library Anarchy? Sounds like a real hoot. Is Meli going to walk around telling everyone to be quiet?

• Like 2

I am in.  I like this idea.  

Good to see the enthusiasm from some of the illiterates above like VWAP and Monkey.  LB isn't illiterate, but he is a little impaired from that Bundy overdose years ago.   Maybe it will give them some incentive to finally learn to read. 

Dick and Jane

• Like 2

I think it's lame.  What fucking next - Blazer Forum where all the wankers can converse about their sik ties and cravats, while arguing over whether single breasted is better than double breasted?

I am sure the internet has space elsewhere for this proposal and I recommend it be despatched to that place post haste.

Fuck - I just threw up a little on my seaboots.

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I think it's lame.  What fucking next - Blazer Forum where all the wankers can converse about their sik ties and cravats, while arguing over whether single breasted is better than double breasted?

I am sure the internet has space elsewhere for this proposal and I recommend it be despatched to that place post haste.

I'll take that as a "maybe, tell me more" :P

If you type "book" into the search box, there's been over 5 different threads spread right across the forum (excluding mine) where different books have been discussed in the last 22 hours.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Hope you forget about the vomit next time you go on deck in a blow and get that nasty cold wet feeling as you put your foot in it - again!

And if you don't like the idea of "Anarchy" ie, where anything goes then it is YOU who is on the wrong site.

Reading expands knowledge and the mind - perhaps you might try it sometimes

IMG_4454.JPG

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

And if you don't like the idea of "Anarchy" ie, where anything goes then it is YOU who is on the wrong site.

Yep, that's what happens.  Like the rest of the US, the real rules are hidden.

But as a hint, don't disagree with a cop posting as part of a community engagement program. 

"Ask me anything!"

4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

2.5 billion hits for book forum on google. Meli's doing hand stands without her panties.

I just threw up on my pluggers a little bit...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

There have been a bunch of long-running threads about sailing books.

Seems like this is a big enough group to have a Book Corner.

- DSK

Sailing Books. And all things that come from Nautical bookstores.

Sailors Biographies, Map books, Boaty stuff books and wind in the willows and a bit of Philip K Dick 

It's a book and writers corner for sailors not the Jane Austen appreciation society.

4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Just give Meli her own forum. It's what's she been after since she got the boot from Wooden Boat for just being herself too often. Call it "Mad Meli's Mind."  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Randro said:

Yep, that's what happens.  Like the rest of the US, the real rules are hidden.

But as a hint, don't disagree with a cop posting as part of a community engagement program. 

"Ask me anything!"

I remember that. Vern! Guns and Random apparently don’t mix;)

7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ime am in, I vote yes                                       :)

c1psybkkxtbx.jpg

23 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I onley reade them foire the storries............                     :)

Every picture tells a story don't it.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, what's a word picture worth?

"Pat Boone and Buddy Hackett find out that old stories about the navy are true in "All Hands on Deck".

"Courage is Grace under Prince Rainier III." ---Ernest Hemingway"

"How can we know the dancer from the prancer?"--Yeats

(cred to George Bowering tweets, Poet Laureate Canada 2002)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Hope you forget about the vomit next time you go on deck in a blow and get that nasty cold wet feeling as you put your foot in it - again!

IMG_4454.JPG

Nice reference sailing library Shang, but where's "Life of Pi"?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I onley reade them foire the storries............                     :)

Hey!

There were really really good stories in PLAYBOY. First time I ever read a Dave Barry column was in Playboy.

- DSK

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Hmm- I can't find any references to breasts here at all: https://blazerforum.com/forum/

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I think it's lame.  What fucking next -

I agree, there is everything from Boobs to Bullets in the General forum. Rocl in Roll, Video, RIP, Random everything, what's in your arsenal, cleavage you name it it is there.

Dilution it not the solution for pollution.

10 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

IMG_4454.JPG

I've been in discussions for weeks with Scott about standing up a new Rotating Photos Before Posting Anarchy.  It's been needed for a while.  

Either that, or based on the suspended / upward leaning books, I suspect all the reading he's done has given ShanghaiSailor an ability to thwart gravity and we need a Quantum Anarchy.  

I have no idea who we could get to sponsor it though. 

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hey!

There were really really good stories in PLAYBOY. First time I ever read a Dave Barry column was in Playboy.

- DSK

The first time I ever read a Ray Bradbury story was in Playboy.  And the renowned Playboy Interview was often well done too.  I remember when Jimmy Carter got in trouble for 'committing adultery in his heart'.  I guess we set a pretty high bar for presidents back then.  

yeah, I dont get the need for this... if a book blows your dress up, just start a thread on GA about.. 

I  dunno this concept just makes no sense to me. and I'm already getting pretty sick of seeing the Announcements all over the fucking place. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Cost of standing up a sub-forum? ... $0.  (See COVID one)

Benefit in starting a new forum? ... more hits on the site.

I'm thinking that maybe Scot is not such a cunt after all.  He is just trying not to upset Mell by setting criteria that won't be met.

That's really sensitive and considerate really.

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, I dont get the need for this... if a book blows your dress up, just start a thread on GA about.. 

I  dunno this concept just makes no sense to me. and I'm already getting pretty sick of seeing the Announcements all over the fucking place. 

What started this was trying to find a thread over in GA that someone started looking for good Sci-Fi. I still havent found the one I was looking for.

But while searching, I discovered that book threads are not  just in GA.

People looking for books to get their grandkids sailing?

There's some fabulous picture books been recommended here.

Also, some people offer up their writing for our enjoyment.

There's been some really great threads  that just get lost.

If we had a dedicated book/writers forum, Ed  could copy(not move) them over to a place where they're more easily found again. There no compulsion to post your book threads in this sub forum if that's what bothers peeps. 

No one's proposing that if you want a book review or to talk about a book, that you have to risk nits in a rarified and foreign club.

This isn't "My Forum" and for what It's worth as far as I recall, I've never started a book thread and am unlikely to join much in this. 

31 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I think we should have a Wild West sub forum where we can call each other Pedo’s.

31 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whoise gonna sponsore that?  

220px-Matt_Gaetz,_official_portrait,_116

- DSK

• Like 2

I'd still be a lot happier to see the Random Pic thread restored than some new rarely used sub forum created and forgot about in 3 weeks... 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I'd still be a lot happier to see the Random Pic thread restored than some new rarely used sub forum created and forgot about in 3 weeks... 

Scot seems to have a couple of Temp Admins on board. Possibly doing the new Forum look.

No idea if they are still around but you could try messaging them directly about Hobot's thread.

Dunno. I'm a library techie not at softwear geek. :)

image.thumb.png.a79cf2bfb80459d2972f5b756c88a390.png

19 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

IMG_4454.JPG

Well, well, well - who's a thin-skinned softcock?

SS also had a go at me in the thread on the same topic over on Ocean Racing Anarchy.  I responded to that attack rather than this one, because it was easy to make him look - shall we say, somewhat dumb.  He appears to have now gone sobbing to the Ed and had the whole thread removed - take a look, it's gone.

This is what I get when I click on the link in "Notifications"

[[Template core/front/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fuck, this place is just awesome!  One resident writer for the front page does a runner with deposits for sails, and another outs himself as a crybaby.

YCMTSU.

46 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

SS also had a go at me in the thread on the same topic over on Ocean Racing Anarchy.  I responded to that attack rather than this one, because it was easy to make him look - shall we say, somewhat dumb.  He appears to have now gone sobbing to the Ed and had the whole thread removed - take a look, it's gone.

[[Template core/front/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fuck, this place is just awesome!  One resident writer for the front page does a runner with deposits for sails, and another outs himself as a crybaby.

YCMTSU.

Um. Settle petal. I took them down off all the other forums. They were only posted as a general heads up to the poll over here.

There was nothing of any import in them (including my refutation of your slur on my boaty cred)and appeared to annoy some. 

Can't please anyone everyone.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Um. Settle petal. I took them down off all the other forums. 

OK, I didn't even know you could do that - you got some Mod privileges or something?

It's always risky rewriting history ...

I retract my comments against SS - except the invitation to fuck off, which he has still earned.  

"Readers and writers" Forum is still pretentious. ;)

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

OK, I didn't even know you could do that - you got some Mod privileges or something?

I retract my comments against SS - except the invitation to fuck off, which he has still earned.  

No, anyone that starts a thread gets a "moderation actions" tab top centre. Drop down, "hide"

easy.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:26 AM, Recidivist said:

You wouldn’t see Connery in a double breasted suit, come on now

in my mind it is only for the real navy

as for shoes remember never wear brown in towne 

10 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

We can have both

We can rebuild!

- DSK

17 hours ago, Randro said:

Cost of standing up a sub-forum? ... $0.  (See COVID one)

Benefit in starting a new forum? ... more hits on the site.

I'm thinking that maybe Scot is not such a cunt after all.  He is just trying not to upset Mell by setting criteria that won't be met.

That's really sensitive and considerate really.

We need an Excessively Literal Interpretation Anarchy forum as well, I think.  I'm going to hold out for that one.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We can have both

We can rebuild!

- DSK

Na, it's done.

Even if one discounts half the nay votes from the Trogs, there's not enough interest and I said so to Scot this morning.

It's fine with me, saves me a few dollars in international phone calls .

:)

• Like 1

A cook book might be worthwhile....

I have a great Beef Wellington recipe.....

On 4/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, Recidivist said:

YCMTSU.

No need for the insidious comments sir.

If a thread has disappeared I can assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with me.

If you think otherwise then you are, sadly, very much mistaken. When people dish it out they do say you have to be prepared to be 'dished out to'.

I got the same message when I clicked on your notification and it is as much a mystery to me as to you.

Even stranger, I also keep an offline log of all interactions and a 'Ctrl-F' doesn't throw up your username.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:26 PM, Recidivist said:

No need to retract any comments Recidivist, i am thicker skinned than you seem to assume but i appreciate the gesture - and I am not being condescending

All's fair in love & war and the Anarchy forums and if you don't like my responses you can always place me on 'Ignore'.

It is entertaining to get into a (sometimes) heated discussion and though I sometimes don't agree with the other participant, everyone is entitled to an opinion other than personal attacks based on deliberate lies and deceptions.

Keep on keeping on man.

See ya on the water

SS

PS I wish i knew how I had upset you enough for you to want me to 'Fuck off'. 

6 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

No need for the insidious comments sir.

If a thread has disappeared I can assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with me.

If you think otherwise then you are, sadly, very much mistaken. When people dish it out they do say you have to be prepared to be 'dished out to'.

I got the same message when I clicked on your notification and it is as much a mystery to me as to you.

Even stranger, I also keep an offline log of all interactions and a 'Ctrl-F' doesn't throw up your username.

Do read the thread SS, you will notice that Meli explained that she was the one who "disappeared" the thread, and I retracted the rude comments I made about you.

You completely misread my original comments and made a cunt of yourself - but I can overlook that this time.  We Aussies are like that.

WTF is this "offline log" and "Ctrl-F" stuff???  That's creepy.

1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

No need to retract any comments Recidivist, i am thicker skinned than you seem to assume but i appreciate the gesture - and I am not being condescending

All's fair in love & war and the Anarchy forums and if you don't like my responses you can always place me on 'Ignore'.

It is entertaining to get into a (sometimes) heated discussion and though I sometimes don't agree with the other participant, everyone is entitled to an opinion other than personal attacks based on deliberate lies and deceptions.

Keep on keeping on man.

See ya on the water

SS

PS I wish i knew how I had upset you enough for you to want me to 'Fuck off'. 

OK, you've now caught up.  All good. 

The "fuck off" is Australian idiom that you misread first time around - it's practically a term of endearment here.  As is "made a cunt of yourself". ;)

Peace.

2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Do read the thread SS, you will notice that Meli explained that she was the one who "disappeared" the thread, and I retracted the rude comments I made about you.

You completely misread my original comments and made a cunt of yourself - but I can overlook that this time.  We Aussies are like that.

WTF is this "offline log" and "Ctrl-F" stuff???  That's creepy.

After a 40 year history in Financial Services, I learned a long time ago to keep an independent 'log' of communication (including who to) in case it 'disappears' (like in this instance) at the other end, nothing creepy. It also enables you to check what you actually said.

They do say old habits die hard

Crtl - F is a keyboard shortcut that searches any document (like the log) for a string. When we introduced laptops to our sales-force back in the mid 90's we taught them many of the keyboard shortcuts as most were much quicker than the rather slow drop down menus. I've forgotten most of them through lack of use but F; Z; C; V; S are pretty useful and I use all the time

What is creepy is that a whole thread could be 'taken down'. 

There, right away, is an example of the benefit of keep your own log of what is said.

Once said, we should stand by what we said 

Stay well

2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

OK, you've now caught up.  All good. 

The "fuck off" is Australian idiom that you misread first time around - it's practically a term of endearment here.  As is "made a cunt of yourself". ;)

Peace.

Perhaps wont be the last time I will be told to fuck off or make a cunt of myself but "Peace" - yeah, I'm all for that.

No keeping a 'log' of all 'interactions' on a sailing forum is indeed creepy.

Jack Sparrow level creepy.

53 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Straight out his beloved CCP handbook.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Pot, meet kettle 

Creepy indeed 

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

everyone is entitled to an opinion other than personal attacks based on deliberate lies and deceptions.

I take it you are referring to PA ?? 

40 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Creepy indeed 

Very odd comment for a stalker to use.

Did you teach the meaning of irony at school Oh Emeritus Professor Beardy Homo?

4 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

I take it you are referring to PA ?? 

I was thinking more of life in general actually

Isn't that the basis of free speech???

I don't know, as a retired political science professor you would know better than I

Just now, Sail4beer said:

We have free speech. That is good enough for me!

Free!?!?

Now you tell me, I gotta see if I can get my credit card out of this slot in the side of my computer......

- DSK

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Free!?!?

Now you tell me, I gotta see if I can get my credit card out of this slot in the side of my computer......

- DSK

I see your problem Doug. That slot is for CDs alright but not those CDs.

• Like 1

@shanghaisailor wrote - "everyone is entitled to an opinion other than personal attacks based on deliberate lies and deceptions." 

Actually, you are correct about that being a principle of a free society. 

But that is not how PA works . . 

In PA the rule is, "everyone is entitled to an opinion, especially personal attacks based on deliberate lies and deceptions." 

FIFY 

Serious question for this thread  . .  

Why would anyone post something they wrote 

when they would face immediate abuse by anonymous 

cyber-troll punkistas ?? 

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

cyber-troll punkistas ?? 

Easy answer: there are usually one or two decent answers/ responses, and all the class clowns provide filler with their witty one-liners (some of which may be original). Easy to scroll and filter through those, and sometimes entertaining. You can be sure if there is a 'weakness' in the OP, it will be revealed. 

If one is only looking for affirmation, SA is not the place.

Aside: PA, though, is special. Quite a different experience, 'culture', as you know, than reading and posting in other SA forums.

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

cyber-troll punkistas ?? 

Serious answer.. I can honestly say I can not remember ever having immediate abuse from any poster here. I've been touched up when deserved and sparred with the occasional numpty who's jumped to their conclusions rather than absorb what is written. The odd troll post doesn't register enough to be memorable.

I treat people on a forum no differently to I do in the real world and SA is no different than a crowded bar at the end of an offshore race. Act like a turnip and you'll get called out on it, or just be yourself and come away richer for the experience. I've made some great friends through SA and would argue the opposite, I've had nothing but genuine support from the real members here.

It's like an extended family at Xmas time, from the pissed uncle to the brother in a suit to the cousin with two heads. Rambunctious, loud and slightly chaotic and for mine I wouldn't change a thing.   

• Like 5
1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Serious answer.. I can honestly say I can not remember ever having immediate abuse from any poster here. I've been touched up when deserved and sparred with the occasional numpty who's jumped to their conclusions rather than absorb what is written. The odd troll post doesn't register enough to be memorable.

I treat people on a forum no differently to I do in the real world and SA is no different than a crowded bar at the end of an offshore race. Act like a turnip and you'll get called out on it, or just be yourself and come away richer for the experience. I've made some great friends through SA and would argue the opposite, I've had nothing but genuine support from the real members here.

It's like an extended family at Xmas time, from the pissed uncle to the brother in a suit to the cousin with two heads. Rambunctious, loud and slightly chaotic and for mine I wouldn't change a thing.   

Well said shaggy. And it doesn't often take too long to be able to differentiate between who have different (but genuine) opinions that are opposed to one's own and the complete tosser wo clearly  knows 50% of fuck all.

As you say, just like any yacht club bar after ANY race (not just offshore ;)) and if it gets 'heated' usually forgotten by the next post-race wind down.

Besides if we all agreed totally with everyone, all the time, what a flat boring world it would be and what would we talk about?

• Like 1
On 4/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, Lex Teredo said:

Disney, they love stealing others ideas and not paying for them.

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Besides if we all agreed totally with everyone, all the time, what a flat boring world it would be and what would we talk about?

Not China

5 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

On the whole, I agree with you about SA. 

But PA is a different animal.  If@LB 15 treated people at our sailing social gathering place the way he does on SA he would not last two minutes before being summarily ejected, and quite rightly so. There are others like that on PA as well, some nearly as bad. 

And you can be damn certain that LB 15 would never in a million years behave at his sailing school the way he behaves on PA. 

If he did, he'd be out of business in a heartbeat, and rightly so.