Farr X2 from the Front Page

Cool looking boat, but isn't 2,500 kg pretty heavy for a pure race boat built in 2021? Compare that to 2,069 kg for the classic Farr 30 designed over 25 years ago. The X2's displacement even sits north of a J88's.

Specs indicate the new ride will carry significantly more sail area and water ballast. But still... 

I'm guessing price point has a big part in that. The design brief reads very similar to the Classe 950 that never really took off, an option between the mini's and 40s that's offshore capable and easy to short hand, but also fits within a corinthian(ish) budget. It's a shame the 950 class didn't pick up steam because I really liked that box rule. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Pokey uh da LBC said:

Cool looking boat, but isn't 2,500 kg pretty heavy for a pure race boat built in 2021? Compare that to 2,069 kg for the classic Farr 30 designed over 25 years ago. The X2's displacement even sits north of a J88's.

Specs indicate the new ride will carry significantly more sail area and water ballast. But still... 

Guess you didn't read the article. 

"In saying all of this, we’ve come up with by far the lightest Category A certified offshore racing boat with the nearest boats being up to 500kg heavier and the heavier ones over a ton heavier."

I don’t see how the Farr X2 does anything that isn’t already covered by either the Dehler 30, Figaro 3, Sunfast 3300 or Pogo 30 of which there are tons of each sailing in fleets around the world. Between those you’ve got a OD boat with foils that’s completely stripped out and has a good resale value, a slightly less common OD boat with no foils and a bit more interior for less money, a boat that can win races under irc and is damn nearly as fast as the first 2 on the water and there are plenty sailing already and finally you’ve got the boat that is a lightweight fast cruiser for occasional racing. It just seems that Farr are 2 years late to the party with something that doesn’t really stand out. I could well eat my words if I see fleets popping up around the world, anyone actually know if someone has bought one off plans?

• Like 1

There's a mold being built here in Oz so I assume someone's bought one... ;)

built by a reputable etchells builder, so probably almost the same as the others.....

Sorry, lowball...

(sarcasm font)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JL92S said:

I don’t see how the Farr X2 does anything that isn’t already covered by either the Dehler 30, Figaro 3, Sunfast 3300 or Pogo 30 of which there are tons of each sailing in fleets around the world. Between those you’ve got a OD boat with foils that’s completely stripped out and has a good resale value, a slightly less common OD boat with no foils and a bit more interior for less money, a boat that can win races under irc and is damn nearly as fast as the first 2 on the water and there are plenty sailing already and finally you’ve got the boat that is a lightweight fast cruiser for occasional racing. It just seems that Farr are 2 years late to the party with something that doesn’t really stand out. I could well eat my words if I see fleets popping up around the world, anyone actually know if someone has bought one off plans?

There's very little left that any new boat can do now that hasn't already been done in the recent past.  Physics is physics.  Materials, aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, engineering and naval architecture- the science has evolved to minor refinements due to the explosion of computing power allowing for much more thorough simulation in engineering.  Unless you wanna go into advances in righting moment or foils, etc., a static ballasted monohull is what it is. 

• Like 1

Yeah I guess. It almost makes me think it could have been a rejected Figaro proposal which has been tweaked and now offered for sale. The Dehler has a whiff of that too although I’ve heard zero evidence to back that up! 

21 hours ago, PB2207 said:

I'm guessing price point has a big part in that. The design brief reads very similar to the Classe 950 that never really took off, an option between the mini's and 40s that's offshore capable and easy to short hand, but also fits within a corinthian(ish) budget. It's a shame the 950 class didn't pick up steam because I really liked that box rule. 

I wish the 950's had gained traction.  I might be able to afford a beat up outdated early example by now.  I really like that style of boat.  Mini's are a little small to consider for "cruising".

• Like 2
7 hours ago, JL92S said:

The Farr is available in Oceania - All the European boats are hugely expensive to bring all the way to Australia/NZ.

The boats are being built by XSP in Batam, Indonesia

They need to put together a package deal where vaccination-visa-travel is arranged and a small villa booked for six months in, say Bali. Boat is delivered to a local marina / mooring just before your flight arrives. You sail your boat back to the factory for shipment before you return home. Kind of like European Delivery for your Porsche.

9 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

There doesn't seem to be much info on accommodations here Farr X2 – Farr X2

Thanks for the link.  I guess I thought I read something about it being "affordable".  Over $200k!  Anyone know where a beat up, outdated class 950 might be hiding?  Or someone that wants to get rid of their Pogo 8.5 in a hurry?

This reminds me of a 35ft proposal from Spain, which was marketed probably 15 years ago. The concept and interior layout were very similar. It was, before the advent of chines, a somewhat narrower boat, but had fixed an long retractable bowsprits. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name.

It had a proper toilet, though, as the marketing guys had identified this as a crucial piece of equipment for getting the wife's approval.

As a few others have also pointed out, I think this project has been mainly driven by the team in Oz and is aimed at cornering the 2 handed market in that part of the world (Oz, NZ, Asia). It's one of the Bar Karate guys, I think Brett Perry, who's been behind the concept. 

Whilst their may not be anything particularly ground breaking about it, I get the impression that there will have been a lot of thought put into the crew ergonomics/sail handling and sail plan. From what I heard on the podcasts it sounds like there is a lot of offshore experience from mini's up to VOR that have had input into elements of this boat - perhaps it will be a bit more 'refined' out of the box than some of its competitors...?

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 5:56 PM, SEC16518 said:

Why do single/double handed offshore boats have to be so ugly????

Short handed sailors don’t have many friends and the friends they do have don’t have to look at them because they’ve gone offshore :D 

On 4/18/2021 at 2:56 AM, SEC16518 said:

Why do single/double handed offshore boats have to be so ugly????

A few years ago we were at a port somewhere and one of the worlds biggest cruise ships had pulled into port. It was some kinda fugly! I mentioned this to one of the occupants and they commented that it looks pretty nice from inside looking out! :lol:

It's all about the panel area and weight. 
Both the J/88 and the Farr 30 are lighter and smaller boats based on sq ft of total hull and deck area.
In shorthanded of offshore conditions, the slightly heavier boat, with a more powerful hull and more sail area will generate better average speeds over a wider range of wind and sea conditions... all while having a much lower potential top end speed in ideal conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

It all about structural engineering and reduction of interior. Then you have to folloe the laminate plans properly. A VOLVO 65 or Open60 is only around 7t.

The Aeolos AP30 is classed as a racing boat, OSR Class B rules to be followed. For design and design pressures, ISO 12215-5, Design category A rules will be followed, means update to Class A is simple.
https://www.aeoloscomposites.com/aeolos-p30-strength

I still don't understand how the Aeolos qualifies as ISO Cat A / OSR 2 at "1.505t empty but rigged boat without sails and motor / 1,980t double hand full equipped"

RORC's interpretation is that "a boat weighing less than 3000kg can never satisfy the requirements for Design Category A", where weight is MMOC (minimum mass in operating condition).

https://ircrating.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/stixpaper.pdf

7 hours ago, Snowden said:

I still don't understand how the Aeolos qualifies as ISO Cat A / OSR 2 at "1.505t empty but rigged boat without sails and motor / 1,980t double hand full equipped"

RORC's interpretation is that "a boat weighing less than 3000kg can never satisfy the requirements for Design Category A", where weight is MMOC (minimum mass in operating condition).

https://ircrating.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/stixpaper.pdf

I know 1.5T is light but surely a Figaro 3, Dehler 30od and Pogo 30 are all cat A boats? The French have been racing the Pogos across the Atlantic for years and the F3s are soon to be setting off as well. They’re all under 3000kg

18 hours ago, JL92S said:

I know 1.5T is light but surely a Figaro 3, Dehler 30od and Pogo 30 are all cat A boats? The French have been racing the Pogos across the Atlantic for years and the F3s are soon to be setting off as well. They’re all under 3000kg

Those boats are Cat A but they are also all (AFAIK) over 3,000 kg in "minimum operating condition". You get an allowance for crew @ 75kg each, sails, stores, safety gear and so on which adds up to at least 300-400 kg over the brochure weight. 

My boat is 2,750 kg on the certificate but I think I worked out it was about 3,100 kg MMOC 2 handed.

I think this is why all the new offshore-capable 30'ers cluster in the 2.7-2.9t range.