Jump to content

Looking to purchase a Thunderbird in the next two months


Recommended Posts

Due to weird moorage circumstances, I have a 2 month window to buy a new (used)...I am looking to buy a Thunderbird Sailboat in good condition, I have owned 2 plywood Keel Joy and Williwaw...sold in 2011.  We live on Gabriola Island.BC I used to sail in the Seattle fleet.   If anyone has any leads...please contact me at jonathan.hoskins@gmail.com or 250-325-0056

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keel Joy said:

That is quite a bit over what we would expect to pay for a thunderbird...although its clearly been a huge investment.  

A boat is never worth what the owner has spent! 

There are also a lot of repairs to be made, so he's probably out by $10K or more.

Great boats though - huge fleets when I was growing up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thunderboxs were great boats - Pretty popular on the east of Aus as well. Did lots of miles on a few of them. We used to race them offshore in JOG events until that fateful night off Sydney.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are three or four sad looking sailboats on the side of South Rd between Silva Bay Resort and Coast Rd. You should knock on doors and see if you can get one of those. 
 

not a T-bird, but similar size. 
 

try calling Royal Vic YC and getting the contact info for their fleet captain?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

 

try calling Royal Vic YC and getting the contact info for their fleet captain?

I think fleet captain, Alex Fox, owns a t bird atm.  Try talking to him or Vidas Stukas at rvic. Vidas has a Turbobird now.  He put a flush deck, moved the mast aft 18", swept spreaders and new keel with bulb.  He can hang in with M242 in Wed nights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Irish River said:

I think fleet captain, Alex Fox, owns a t bird atm.  Try talking to him or Vidas Stukas at rvic. Vidas has a Turbobird now.  He put a flush deck, moved the mast aft 18", swept spreaders and new keel with bulb.  He can hang in with M242 in Wed nights. 

A stock well maintained and sailed T-Bird can pretty much keep up with a 242 - or even a  HF27 for that matter.

Nice mods by Vidas, but she probably (or at least should) rates about level with a 242.

They are very quick boats for their age, but a bit of a painbox to sail - especially if they have the wooden coamings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're committed to T-birds that meet one design specs. As said we raced two plywood fiberglass boats from the 60's in the 2010's including at the internationals held Whidbey Island in 2011(?) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Keel Joy said:

Still looking.vancouver boat a no go.

Was it the one on the hard at Race Rock in West Van?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2021 at 6:50 PM, Expat Canuck said:

There are three or four sad looking sailboats on the side of South Rd between Silva Bay Resort and Coast Rd. You should knock on doors and see if you can get one of those. 
 

not a T-bird, but similar size. 
 

try calling Royal Vic YC and getting the contact info for their fleet captain?

I walked past those boats three weekends ago on the way to Drumbeg.  None of them are worth the time.  One looked pretty good, but closer inspection showed significant deformation of the hull in the way of the chainplates.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK...the boat we looked at was at Race Rock...good hull and aluminum mast....no hardware or electronic. Everything stripped. So still looking and we are willing to pay a decent price for a decent boat 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good hull and aluminum mast for less than $2k sounds pretty good unless the deck is shot but it'd certainly be some work and between sails, rigging, electronics you'd easily put 10k and tons of time into it. Maybe makes that $15k asking one seem less unreasonable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hokie said:

A good hull and aluminum mast for less than $2k sounds pretty good unless the deck is shot but it'd certainly be some work and between sails, rigging, electronics you'd easily put 10k and tons of time into it. Maybe makes that $15k asking one seem less unreasonable.

Re-outfitting a boat these days would be expensive - no consignment shops left (well, there are still some on the island) and the border closed so Lynden is inaccessible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Re-outfitting a boat these days would be expensive - no consignment shops left (well, there are still some on the island) and the border closed so Lynden is inaccessible.

And the boat-strippers in the US are trying to 80% of new prices for the stuff they take off wrecks, even without cleaning it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at Lynden - his prices are reasonable. He doesn't dicker but regulars like me (or was) get lots of small stuff for free - winch pockets, fender hangers etc.

My single best score was a $60 companionway ladder. It couldn't have fit better if I had it custom made and that would have cost near, if not over a boat buck.

A Plastimo Contest bulkhead compass for $65

S/S Herreshoff cleats for $10 each.

Etc.

I'm really jonesing for the place.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hokie said:

A good hull and aluminum mast for less than $2k sounds pretty good unless the deck is shot but it'd certainly be some work and between sails, rigging, electronics you'd easily put 10k and tons of time into it. Maybe makes that $15k asking one seem less unreasonable.

We're beginning to rethink the $15,000 one.  It may have been the 2 or 3rd Booth (sail 1002)  .  I am trying to contact her.

Link to post
Share on other sites

John Booth passed away a couple years ago. He was a great source for anything tbird.  I think Vidas has most of the bits now.  Vidas should have some idea where you can find one. I know he sold Owl to Port Townsend a few years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a step up from looking for a T-Bird. :D

Congrats - good boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 7:21 PM, SloopJonB said:

Bit of a step up from looking for a T-Bird. :D

Congrats - good boat.

Its that one exception rule :-)  I had been pursuing a Crown or San Juan 34 for over a decade.  And suddenly one appears in exceptional shape at a really good price in Bellngham.  We jumped on it it.  Now we have to get it up from Bellingham into Canada.  We are really excited. suddenly sailing horizons have changed (including some racing ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Keel Joy said:

Its that one exception rule :-)  I had been pursuing a Crown or San Juan 34 for over a decade.  And suddenly one appears in exceptional shape at a really good price in Bellngham.  We jumped on it it.  Now we have to get it up from Bellingham into Canada.  We are really excited. suddenly sailing horizons have changed (including some racing ;-)

Don't expect too many pickle dishes. The Crown was a good build and performed well but it was One Ton sized with 3/4 Ton performance. PHRF is in the high 130's.

Re: delivery, I understand that pro's are permitted to bring boats across the border but I have no idea how it works.

One thing I can tell you from experience is to use a customs broker. Do not, under any circumstances, pay any attention to what the pencil pushers at CBSA tell you.

If I had followed their advice it would have cost me $thousands - luckily the American trucker hauling my boat knew more about their rules than they did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...