I'm helping a friend look for a new boat and googleing sailboats by parameter is much less efficient than tapping into the vast resources we have here.  So here are the parameters:

1. Monohull

2. 35-40 feet

3. Air draft less than 50'

4. Draft less than 5'

5. Center cockpit preferred

6. Not a motor sailor

I haven't found much that fits this task and air draft is not usually listed.  In my mind I'm envisioning a split rig Hood style center-boarder, like if Shaw did a ketch rigged Pearson 40'.  I think the closest I've seen is the Freedom 35' Cat Ketch.

Thanks in advance.

That is a pretty broad brush stroke there.  What does your friend want to do with it; cruise, race, liveaboard?  How handy with tools is your friend?  What is the budget?

The Pearson 40 was a pretty neat boat, but was designed to the IOR rule as a cruiser-racer. I actually studied the rig dimensions and engineering in designing the rig for the 40-footer I built.

Here are a couple of possibilities.

Pearson 365 ketch at the lower size limit.

Pearson 424 ketch at just above the upper size limit.

Both have air draft less than 50'.

365 has draft of 4.5'. 424 is just over your limit at 5.25', but that's still as shoal as you will find with no centerboard.

Both are Bill Shaw designs, so they sail surprisingly well. Pearson was building decent boats when these were in production. These were not designed as bluewater boats for crossing oceans, but they are good, seaworthy coastal cruisers, or from the E coast of the US to the Bahamas.

Both have good water capacity and adequate fuel.

Neither is center cockpit, but a  center cockpit eats up the best real estate in the boat in any boat less than 44' or so. The aft cabin on most 40' or less center cockpit boats is tiny.

The 424 has a nice three-cabin, two-head layout if you are cruising with two couples or kids. The 365 has your standard two-cabin single-head layout.

Another option would be a Whitby 42, which pretty much ticks your boxes. However, construction was pretty average, as is sailing performance, particularly in boats with no bowsprit. Other versions based on this hull, such as the Brewer 44, are probably better in a lot of ways, but they will be outside the budget.

You could also look at some of the Bristols, although once again, you may have to go slightly over the 40' if your friend really wants a center cockpit. They may also push the budget a bit, and the air draft limit will be problematic in anything that is a sloop rig over about 37'.

You air draft and keel draft limits are real constraints. A boat like the old Tartan 37 ticks those boxes, but it is neither a center cockpit nor a three-cabin boat. It's a really good boat for a couple and occasional guests, however.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, r.finn said:

I'm helping a friend look for a new boat and googleing sailboats by parameter is much less efficient than tapping into the vast resources we have here.  So here are the parameters:

1. Monohull

2. 35-40 feet

3. Air draft less than 50'

4. Draft less than 5'

5. Center cockpit preferred

6. Not a motor sailor

I haven't found much that fits this task and air draft is not usually listed.  In my mind I'm envisioning a split rig Hood style center-boarder, like if Shaw did a ketch rigged Pearson 40'.  I think the closest I've seen is the Freedom 35' Cat Ketch.

Thanks in advance.

We charge a fee for this service.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

We charge a fee for this service.

Indeed we do.  But R.Finn seems reasonably nice, so I think we can offer the usual discounted rate of only US$2500, which is over a third off the standard price.  Obviously the discount is available for only 24 hours, so please PM me promptly for the payment link.

I’m biased.   Moody 376. ;) with the scheel keel.  Sticky wicket is gonna be the air draft.    I is 47’ so air draft is around 53 with antennas and instruments.  

Kind of rockinghorse poop, but If you ever found a Clearwater 35...that seems to fit everything except center cockpit. 

Iron Piglet 31? :P

17 hours ago, Zonker said:

LOCATION?

I think this question is really important given your budget. You could spend $$$/weeks moving it from one region to another.

18 hours ago, r.finn said:

Budget is around 50k

Perhaps you could post your friend's financial details so that we can evaluate that, and you should be following this thread.