New winches overriding

20210415_170608.thumb.jpg.25c1ce90dd6b4baeead03f54bcf9a8c2.jpg20210415_162333.thumb.jpg.2a3ae384b02035c402602fe10d8b8c83.jpg20210415_162301.thumb.jpg.dc734afdfc598964db85af90d2d01c84.jpgSo picked up two new cabintop winches when they were 2 for 1 at WM. I got them mounted and they are constantly overriding. They are the same size as the old ones but I think they are a different height. In the photos the one mounted on the mast is the old one and the one on the deck is the new one. I think I  need to raise the clutches or winch, just don't know which? 

The tech data will tell you the recommended angle for line entry, you will have to raise the winches. It's not hard.

And I didn't need the picture. 

Just now, Trovão said:

and the photos???

I'm gonna blame the phone on this one, but I think everyone knows it is user error

• Like 2
Just now, ordkhntr said:

I'm gonna blame the phone on this one, but I think everyone knows it is user error

;):P:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

Raise or tilt the winch so the line enters nearly parallel with the bottom drum surface. Line angled upwards as it feeds into winch. Might angle the clutch upwards too bcuz bending line more than 10-15 degrees is bad. Can get complicated to do it right. Sand and varnish all the teak before posting any more pictures to forums, sheesh.

• Like 2
Just now, Borracho said:

Sand and varnish all the teak before posting any more pictures to forums, sheesh.

After countersinking and plugging the fasteners.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ordkhntr said:

Well, crap, now they're sideways 

yeah, dont re-install your new winches based on your photos ... just saying

Ish is correct....

Yes, the winch must be raised. Vertically or a sloped pad at the front raised higher. The rope must hit the drum at some angle below horizontal. Varies with winch maker but here is what Harken says for one of their winches. You don't want to die do you? Raise the winch.

image.thumb.png.a8ecdeaa1bd24505314ba24484f12302.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Yes, the winch must be raised. Vertically or a sloped pad at the front raised higher. The rope must hit the drum at some angle below horizontal. Varies with winch maker but here is what Harken says for one of their winches. You don't want to die do you? Raise the winch.

image.thumb.png.a8ecdeaa1bd24505314ba24484f12302.png

image.png.6aee5ae8d44c9339701bcc5d65ce8727.png

Did you measure a cartoon's angle? Just follow the text: 6-10 degrees for this Harken winch.

Andersen classic.  I think we'll agree that the rope is not at a 3-8 degree angle.

image.png.24246f5c368204b4312709a053ea7f0b.png

At least it won't lead to hearing loss, blindness, acid reflux or colon polyps.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

At least it won't lead to hearing loss, blindness, acid reflux or colon polyps.

Not unless you eat or insert the winch.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Not unless you eat or insert the winch.

Blech. Not the override that I wanted to visualize. :huh:

Still haven't oiled the teak or replaced the straight slots but I did get some 3/4" starboard pads underneath the winches and the overrides went away. 

• Like 1