10r headstay question

I have a 10R

I would go with "B" simply because the tang/end fittings could be of different types & lengths depending upon what brand/type/model was used in the set up rendering "A" variable.

I would not stress over this too much; the backstay is your friend. (and on this boat can be really important)

Sorry did not mean to give you the impression that the initial length was not important, just that A is probably the length Hall discusses.

See the attached pdf file "BeneteauF34.7SRlengths090606" which shows the exact same length (13469mm) as your diagram pin to pin which includes the turnbuckle. If it were me I would set my headstay there, to the outermost clevis pins using the turnbuckle, then adjust caps, D1s and lowers according to my configuration% & prevailing conditions which would also account for how blown out or not my sails might be: when I get the new 100% I might adjust the headstay length a bit, caps, loweres as well, but we'll see.

Which boat & where?

BeneteauF34.7SRlengths090606.pdf

Haven't gone up  mast to measure forestay length yet planning on doing so soon.  I wonder if I could get some opinions as to what's going on with this situation. Using the north tuning guide Arc method calls for me to shorten head stay by 3 in. There's only 2 5/8 left between turnbuckles and right now the Mast has little to no rake. Please see attached image.

rake.bmp

Well, clearly something is "wrong", but better to think of it as you just haven't got it right yet. Keep at it and trust yourself, your experience and beliefs.

After 13 years our boat is set up correctly, but I have no idea what those settings are: I never measured anything, just tweaked it until it was "right".

All I can say is that with the backstay off the headstay is really loose....dangerously so, but no pictures to share,sorry.

Thanks for the advise.
Just finished Newport to ensenada race.
Re tuned rig using ben factory headstay length. Turnbuckle almost max open. Still hardly any noticeable rake. Tensioned to 55v 25d2 35d1. Used rt-10 gauge for all. Seemed to perform well with num 1 up until 13knt then to much helm. Small rudder. Did not do well in race due to some Crew issues. Note i am not owner. mainsail trimmer. I will know more about this tune after a few beercan races here on thursdays.

Just bought a 34.7 with standard rudder

FL as per IRC cert is 13.4m

Have only had her out three times so am looking forward to lots of tuning - at least the mast is centred and she seems to go upwind pretty well.

Instruments not working yet so cant be more exact than that!

we have 531.5 length now thats 1 1/2" longer than the factory recommended setting. Misspoke in the previous post about that. Want to know all I can about other 10r owners settings. Dont hesitate to pm me. We can always go faster.

1 hour ago, Lynch said:

Just bought a 34.7 with standard rudder

FL as per IRC cert is 13.4m

Have only had her out three times so am looking forward to lots of tuning - at least the mast is centred and she seems to go upwind pretty well.

Instruments not working yet so cant be more exact than that!

My first recommendation is remarkably cheap. Go buy a laundry bag big enough to cover the head. It will save you headaches and money caused by snags when dumping and relaunching the kite from the bow hatch. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, bkw said:

we have 531.5 length now thats 1 1/2" longer than the factory recommended setting. Misspoke in the previous post about that. Want to know all I can about other 10r owners settings. Dont hesitate to pm me. We can always go faster.

That's okay: I said "B" in post #04 above when I meant to say "A" as I did in post #02 above. 

The more time you spend on the boat the faster you will go. Think main, back, traveler. You'll get there.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 11:06 PM, Monkey said:

My first recommendation is remarkably cheap. Go buy a laundry bag big enough to cover the head. It will save you headaches and money caused by snags when dumping and relaunching the kite from the bow hatch. 

Great idea

Ill do it asap