Crunchy corn taco/chewy flour tortilla Inside/ outside

I've seen these combinations done both ways. Seems to me that the crunchy should be inside the chewy, but the chewy on the inside can hold more stuff....

I'm making a black bean /tomatillo chili pepper/ chicken/ etc. thing for dinner tonight. Guacamole and sour cream to slather the interior with before stuffing.

The question is: Flour or corn on the inside? I think the corn taco should be inside, so that when it crunches, it's still inside the flour tortilla wrap. My wife thinks the flour should be inside, so that if the corn shatters, the stuffing is still contained in the flour tortilla.

I know this is a trivial question, but sometimes, I like to hear other people's opinions. (sometimes)

Used to be the Double decker taco supreme at Taco Bell, refried beans between the tortillas- goood 

• Like 1

Oh.................my................just don't..................first of all a flour tortilla has no place anywhere near a taco. None..........Either do it like a street taco with two corn tortillas warmed and the good stuff inside....or the Americanized version by frying the corn tortilla......which is also good........but a flour tortilla?! :wacko:

And Taco Bell?!!! No............just no...............:blink:

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

When you get done with Frankenstiening your f'ng abortion-of-wetf-fake-Mexican food dish you're trying to recreate.....move your sights up a little higher and start working on your empanada skills. I'm pretty sure they're originally an Argentina thing....but I've had a bunch of different types down here in Mexico in the last 45 years that would give you multiple tongue-gasms. Wanna know what was in the first one I ever had in 1975? Fuk. Ing. Lobster. Seriously. Lobster, in the most delicious fried pastry shell ever. Replete with cheese, corn, cilantro, garlic & sauted onions. And if I recall, the tiny o/g gal from Oaxaca who was selling them at the Pemex gas station in El Rosario, Baja north....charged us just around 25 cents (US) apiece. Daddio asked me to buy 4, to test fly them as we headed south. We got less than 2 miles out of town before he pulled his RV over to the side of the road, motioned me to come over, stuffed some pesos in my hand and told me to go back and buy every one she had. 'Cuz they were just that frickin' good.....:lol:

Wondered how many posts it would take before you arrived with a recipe  :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Oh.................my................just don't..................first of all a flour tortilla has no place anywhere near a taco. None..........Either do it like a street taco with two corn tortillas warmed and the good stuff inside....or the Americanized version by frying the corn tortilla......which is also good........but a flour tortilla?! :wacko:

can't really find a decent pre-packaged corn tortilla...  once you had fresh hand made, it's hard to go back...     I do find a good flour tortilla is good for fish tacos...

13 minutes ago, Point Break said:

The one and only time I ate from a Taco Bell was in 1990 in someplace north of Santa Rosa, but south of Willits on Hwy 101. I know it was south of Willits, because that's when the food poisoning started to kick in. And I still had to navigate Hwy 20 to Ft. Bragg at 10 PM. (Who knew the Redwood Log trucks ran that late at night?)

I'm not trying to imitate a Mexican dish, I'm just asking an opinion. I know how to make empanadas. I was taught by a tiny little Chilean woman and her sister back in 1991.... They were a little dry the first time (The empanadas, not the Chilean women), but the second batch were wonderful. Quite like Jamaican meat patties, but not as spicy.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

can't really find a decent pre-packaged corn tortilla...  once you had fresh hand made, it's hard to go back...     I do find a good flour tortilla is good for fish tacos...

Guerrero are pretty good. When I’m in a hurry I do those. Really easy homemade is some masa harina, a little water, a little salt. You’re good to go! Manseca is a good brand. Bobs Red Mill also. If you are lucky enough to have a Mexican market nearby, just go buy some fresh masa.

28B9244D-CEF1-4F59-859A-5A0B91D635BD.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

The one and only time I ate from a Taco Bell was in 1990 in someplace north of Santa Rosa, but south of Willits on Hwy 101. I know it was south of Willits, because that's when the food poisoning started to kick in. 

Taco Bell is much better now.  30-40 minutes before you get the squirts. 

• Like 1

Well.... It's a non-issue at this point.

The corn taco shells (bought from a Mexican food store a town over, so I wouldn't have to put up w/ "Old El Paso" shit), had miller fly dust in the bag. So I went with straight flour tortillas. I would have liked the crunch, and no doubt any larvae, or moths would have been dead by the time they came out of the oven, but....... Nah. Not gonna happen on purpose.

I ignored the little moving black specks in a bag of high gluten flour once when I was making a batch of bread. I told myself to think of them as active yeast enhancers.

Every slice of those loaves I searched for black specks. Never found one, but it took something away from the "freshly baked bread" experience.

Ensenada street fish tacos (with two corn tortillas) for the crew, 3 in the morning, after finishing a hard race.  Ambrosia - even knowing they were going to kill us.  (Not a squirt.)

Asked the vendor when was he going home?  "When you stop paying me.  :)  "     

A "crunchy" corn tortilla is an abomination in the eyes of Jeebuz. Unless it's cut into pieces and fried to make tortilla chips.

The things sold in American and Canadian grocery stores in yellow and red boxes are a heresy. 

And I'm not relegious!

• Like 1

Perhaps my terminology was/is wrong.A taco shell is a crispy corn tortilla which can be heated, and then formed into an envelope kinda shape. A flour tortilla is a little like a half between a pita bread, and a pancake. It can be folded into a true envelope shape to make a burrito. Wrapping a corn taco shell inside the flour tortilla gives the texture of the crunchy corn, but the resiliency, and strength of the flour tortilla....

In any case. The food was good, Shredded chicken w/ black beans, diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, green chilli peppers, lots of lime zest/juice, some coriander (had no fresh cilantro), and dried red pepper flakes...... Oh and yeah, the whole inside of the tortilla was swathed in a good thick Guacamole.

No cheese. No sour cream.

10 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I STILL...to this day...crack up whenever I see a Del Taco. It's literally the lamest translated Spanish-2-English Mexican restaraunt name ever...... 'Of the Taco'.

Oh fuk me but just stop it already.....:lol:

For fast food Mexican, the only better I've had than Del Taco is Taco Star.

Del Taco has half-decent fish tacos ... maybe 50% of the way to an actual Baja fish taco. But Taco Star is better. Not as cheap as Baja, not as delicious as Baja, but not too bad for six thousand-some feet.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I do find a good flour tortilla is good for fish tacos...

Hell no.

Two corn tortillas ... grilled, blackened cold water ocean fish, sliced (not shredded for the love of Satan!) sliced cabbage, and Mexican Huacatay, or spicy mayo if there is no Huacatay. The fish should not be fried, the tortilla should not be flour, the cabbage should not be lettuce, the Huacatay should not be pico or salsa.

The Most Holy Incarnation of The Mighty Fish Taco shall not be scorned by the heresy you suggest ... it's as bad as making a martini out of vodka.

5 hours ago, mikewof said:

For fast food Mexican, the only better I've had than Del Taco is Taco Star.

Del Taco has half-decent fish tacos ... maybe 50% of the way to an actual Baja fish taco. But Taco Star is better. Not as cheap as Baja, not as delicious as Baja, but not too bad for six thousand-some feet.

Taco Cabana.

It's a Texas thing.  And New Mexico apparently.

16 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Apparently....I'm not only getting oldier....but I'm also getting more predictabler. 

Fuk this Golden Years  shit....I wanna go back to the Miami Vice ages......:lol:

Fuck, is this what I’ve got to look forward to?? :P

• Like 1
3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Two handmade corn tortillas, doubled up, folded in half and deep oiled fried....then stuffed with fresh deep fried halibut, Corvina or Mako shark (they're all killer good), then served with 3 types of salsa and a fuk-load of condiments. All for 25 pesos.

Seriously? It doesn't get much better than this.

(Unless y'all wanna hear how to make perfect Huevos Rancheros?).... .:lol:

20210416_130139(1).jpg

This man offers fish taco veracity. Golf clap.

Be advised, like Cajun food outside of Louisiana, fish tacos east of Texas... just don’t do it.

• Like 1

I've done this, its not bad. Nothing wrong with experimenting. Few things in life are more subjective then taste in food. 

JJ's in San Carlos, walked in with some friends for lunch. JJ hollered out "Hola, I meesed you, I meesed your money. Come in and eat." I hope he's still there and doing well.

30 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I hope he's still there and doing well.

Business was down for quite a while, but he's still open.

Picked up some yellowtail at the fish camp a couple of days ago. A pound for 60 pesos, about 3 dollars.

Made for two dinners. Sashimi and sushi rolls, then fish tacos with veggies and my wife's homemade salsa. Excellent flour tortillas.

Oh, and tequila. 

41 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Business was down for quite a while, but he's still open.

Picked up some yellowtail at the fish camp a couple of days ago. A pound for 60 pesos, about 3 dollars.

Made for two dinners. Sashimi and sushi rolls, then fish tacos with veggies and my wife's homemade salsa. Excellent flour tortillas.

Oh, and tequila. 

Raw or cooked, yellowtail is one of my favorite saltwater fish.  Hamachi in Japanese, is one of my favorite varieties of sushi or sashimi.  It comes the closest in flavor and texture to the much, much more expensive 'o toro' or tuna belly, than any other raw fish in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

I think my next batch of t-shirts are gonna read 'Its never too late to become immature again'....

In the words of the brilliant Jules Feiffer, "Maturity is a phase, adolescence is forever." Feiffer.thumb.jpg.9fcc5e138594a96d5aab2db05f099d85.jpg

• Like 2

OMG OMG a bunch o old farters  spending dah day writing about tortillas and tacos

Y'all need an intervention

swimsuit-twopiece-ami-888-whitewhite_2_.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

In the words of the brilliant Jules Feiffer, "Maturity is a phase, adolescence is forever." 

You're only young once but you can be immature forever.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You're only young once but if you're smart, you can be immature forever.

FTFY

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Marina Real over off Algodones, or Catch 22 beach.

Lookin' out my back door.

What the...?

Oh well.

Is the soggy peso still there?

My boat (that I foolishly sold) at anchor.

i-XpZRRqf-L.jpg

2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Hate to point this out...but you spelled 3 hours and 42 minutes under a secluded beach palapa wrong......

FB_IMG_1582903470107.jpg

197.001-surf-jess.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, SuddenlyBrown said:

Corn on the inside. 

They call it a cheesy Gordita crunch at Taco Bell.

Had to try it at our local Taco Hell. An abomination, plain and simple.