Bride Clearances on Halifax River Daytona Beach Yacht Club

Wife is thinking (if you know what I mean, and I think that you do)... of retiring to Florida. Daytona beach is the current radar target, along with Daytona beach YC.

I've got a Swan 47 on the West Coast. Mast height is ~70 feet.

Any Ideas about getting under bridges? Here on the California Delta the have these bridges that move up and down to let ships and sailboats with tall masts get by.

All input is welcome.

I have already googled "Florida Man..." I'm in it. How about Florida Bridges?

Google earth shows the bridges. I'm looking for theri clearances. (heights above the water).

There are marinas further south closer to Ponce Inlet that would eliminate the need to get under bridges to access the inlet.  You would be limited to where you could go each way on the intracoastal though.

13 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Google earth shows the bridges. I'm looking for theri clearances. (heights above the water).

65' is the nominal clearance on most fixed bridges on the ICW. Most of the bridges in FL are fixed bridges now, although there are still plenty of older opening ones. It doesn't just matter what bridge heights are where you want to go. It matters what they are in getting there.

A fair number of inlets have marinas situated just inside and before any fixed bridges. That's how they accommodate larger boats. Some places like Ft. Lauderdale still have some opening bridges to accommodate bigger boats.

A current Waterway Guide should have the latest information. Looking at a chart that is several years old, there is at least one fixed bridge with 65' clearance between Ponce Inlet and downtown Daytona. Just a few miles S of Ponce inlet is a fixed 65' bridge in New Smyrna.

Unless you have a keel/centerboard version of the Swan 47, your life may be overly-tense with a draft of more than 6' in a lot of places, depending on current dredging status.

Don't forget to add all your antennas and wind instrumentation, as well as the boat's load status, when calculating air draft.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, accnick said:

65' is the nominal clearance on most fixed bridges on the ICW. Most of the bridges in FL are fixed bridges now, although there are still plenty of opening ones. It doesn't just matter what bridge heights are where you want to go. It matters what they are in getting there.

A fair number of inlets have marinas situated just inside and before any fixed bridges. That's how they accommodate larger boats. Some places like Ft. Lauderdale still have some opening bridges to accommodate bigger boats.

A current Waterway Guide should have the latest information.

Unless you have a keel/centerboard version of the Swan 47, your life may be overly-tense with a draft of more than 6' in a lot of places, depending on current dredging status.

^ this ^

The Florida ICW will be an uncomfortable, not-fun place for a Swan 47 at the best of times.  Well, less worries about wakes, so that's one good thing. My suggestion is to either choose a different place or a different boat.

FB- Doug

Sell boat and buy a northern east coast shoal draft boat and sail or ship it to your new home in Daytona Beach. 

I don’t know why you’d want to move to that town. There’s a world of white trash in that part of Florida...

• Like 2
16 hours ago, ropetrick said:

If they are Florida brides you have to be a Florida man to appreciate them.

I was told by a very learned friend that many women in Florida can be classed as looking to expand their real estate portfolio...

so if you do not flaunt any wealth... you should be safe.. and then a Florida bride should be understanding and give you clearance to sail on the Halifax river and join the Daytona Beach Yacht Club.

best of luck.

11 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

half of that delivery would be fun...

A classic case of "it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive".

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A classic case of "it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive".

Ist that a 'Canadiane' thinge?  No dissresspectte intended...........                      :)

On 4/18/2021 at 12:36 AM, Ishmael said:

There's a bride clearance? Nobody tells me anything any more.

Not that I could afford another one, unless she comes with a good job.

Maybe “clearance” here means what it means in “clearing the land”, i.e. removing all traces of them

You couldn't have picked a worse place to keep that boat. If it where mine and I was forced to live in Daytona I would keep it at St. Augustine and commute. 

On 4/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I think they have to be at least 18...

the hell you say!?

what if they got a note from Epsteins mother?

On 4/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Ist that a 'Canadiane' thinge?  No dissresspectte intended...........                      :)

It's a Robert Louis Stevenson thing.

You illiterate. (not to belabour the obvious) ;)

Beautiful boat, and there are plenty of bigger boats in Florida. You will need a marina on the ocean side of any fixed bridges, but there are plenty of those marinas. The big question is where will you sail? Bermuda? No problem. Eastern Caribbean? No problem. Short sails around the keys and Bahamas? You will be limited to a minority of the water, because most of it is very shallow. It's do-able, though. A six foot draft, for example, will be limited to some degree, and stressful if you don't plan ahead. Away from Florida, the SE US coastline, and the Bahamas, the water depth situation improves.

Hmmm, listed draft is 7.8 feet. That's a lot for Ponce Inlet (Daytona). Better options are St Augustine to the North, and Port Canaveral to the south.

Screenshot_20210420-224844.png