Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I stopped at that reef that had the rock that was not on the chart myself on a boat delivery. Hogsty Reef and it was one of the most incredible wall dives I have ever seen. What Doug is calling a rock

Get a room you two, or take it to PA. This thread is for Doug bashing!

As Tane pointed out, whatever the US has done isn't germane to the conversation. Here is one indisputable fact.  Ever since the dissolution of the USSR after the end of the Cold War, Russia has r

Posted Images

On 1/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, George Graves said:

Doug has gone to Florida to "learn to sail" - something that might have been handy in the 10 years of building a  sailboat.  Things like, where are the best place for cleats, how to reef, how to read weather.  But no.  His only last time on a boat he was "moon faced" when the rail dipped into the water.  He described it as "That captain was insane"  It was a 30 foot boat in 20 knots.  

He's just ahead of the curve. I've met people who are convinced they are going to sail around the world and make a living on Youtube who couldn't work out how to reef their main or use their anchor. (Or what their seacocks were for, or my favourite: "What's a chandlery??") After multiple years of sailboat ownership!

Not old enough to know if this was the case back in the day (there was the Time magazine article in 1973 with the Westsail 32 and all), and some people do learn enough through trial and error I guess. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2022 at 7:55 PM, robtoujours said:

Referring to the earlier post on previous page about the Shannon One Design boatbuilder Jimmy Furey;

A legend, who only died in 2020 aged 94 and was training an apprentice and still building only a few years ago:

Classic Boat - Furey & Cathie

 

Cathie was an Olympic sailor from Ireland, as is her daughter Annalise Murphy in the Laser.  Annalise was absolutely dominant in the first half of the London games, but eventually lost out to the sailor from China. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dougie is learning to sail with Captain C-Money and shit is going wrong before they've even left the dock.

"Both ends have broken away, which is strange. It's been broken for years" ... "We need it fixed tomorrow"

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, toddster said:

That's like - the opposite of bikini click-bait.  Are they really going to try to repair a stay with battery cable lugs? 

Literally sounds like a nightmare I had. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thriller! said:

 

Dougie is learning to sail with Captain C-Money and shit is going wrong before they've even left the dock.

"Both ends have broken away, which is strange. It's been broken for years" ... "We need it fixed tomorrow"

Lash the shit out of it with dyneema. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Using Dyneema would imply knowing about Dyneema. Dyneema seems like  it would be Doug's anti medium, the exact opposite of what he normally works with. We were once discussing this and I, an engineer with a lot of wood and metalworking experience, decided that my anti-medium is fondant.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, toddster said:

Are they really going to try to repair a stay with battery cable lugs?

No, while there a battery lugs in the picture they are not trying to use them for the repair.

I enjoy there is a place to discuss Doug's attitude and cluelessness outside of his heavily curated Facebook and YouTube pages but it's more fun to mock him based on facts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zonker said:

It's just me, right?

He just looks like that mass murderer everyone in the town thought was just a bit odd but mostly harmless.

image.png.e1033be83aeeb03acffd63b7c1565dd1.png

That’s the regular narcissist smirk imo. Related to the “Dupers Delight” which is when they think they have got one over you

He knows he is better than you at everything, moron 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

That’s the regular narcissist smirk imo. Related to the “Dupers Delight” which is when they think they have got one over you

He knows he is better than you at everything, moron 

Checks out:

TRump to hold TRump fundraiser at TRump hotel in DC. He's not even trying to be subtle anymore.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zonker said:

It's just me, right?

He just looks like that mass murderer everyone in the town thought was just a bit odd but mostly harmless.

image.png.e1033be83aeeb03acffd63b7c1565dd1.png

Looks like a liver and fava bean kind of guy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I prefer a Primitivo, but same same.

Always chafed at that Lecter line. Chianti is a cheap red table wine, a daily drinker, something to go with sturdy, common food ('pairs with long pork'). No one tracks vintages on chianti. It was the Franzia box wine of its time. Also (allegedly) the source of our loan word 'fiasco.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the way of the world.  Thus the €4 Riojo becomes the $45 Tempranillo with only the application of a bit of marketing pixie dust. 

Sad to say, Young Hannibal passed away this week at a tender age due to a skiing accident.

Actually, Doug looks spookily like a guy I know from high school who is always in three or four different bands with different musical styles at any time, and last I heard, runs his own construction company on the side.

Not that I see any meaning in that.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

Always chafed at that Lecter line. Chianti is a cheap red table wine, a daily drinker, something to go with sturdy, common food ('pairs with long pork'). No one tracks vintages on chianti. It was the Franzia box wine of its time. Also (allegedly) the source of our loan word 'fiasco.'

In the book, it was Amarone.  Was changed for the movie because the screenwriter thought it sounded better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, George Graves said:

Captain "C-Money" and crew have left the port.  1500 miles to Antigua on a untested boat. Note who is the only one that thinks a PFD is for sissies. 

uitbl4ydrgd81.jpg

In his last video Doug was bragging about his newfound sailing knowledge and their ride by claiming their boat was designed by "a German" (German Frers :D).

Guy on the left is Captain C, on the right we have Doug, camo dude seems lured in. I hope orange guy has some actual experience to bring to the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2022 at 3:56 PM, George Graves said:

Captain "C-Money" and crew have left the port.  1500 miles to Antigua on a untested boat. Note who is the only one that thinks a PFD is for sissies. 

uitbl4ydrgd81.jpg

He has his inflatable under his coat, it's more svelte.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Voiled said:

Guy on the left is Captain C, on the right we have Doug, camo dude seems lured in. I hope orange guy has some actual experience to bring to the table.

Camo Dude and Orange Guy are actually decoys -- foam mannequins painted up to look like your obnoxious brother-in-law. That's how C-Dawg enticed Doug onto the boat. "Those are guys I could drink beer and play Hold'Em with!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voiled said:

Doug when told what it costs to remove the wreck to unblock a waterway that transports billions of dollars worth of cargo:

PersonalResponsibility.thumb.png.6c0fe17182a47ff3aba68caa1482d884.png

"Mad Eyes"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last I heard, it was a charred, disassembled pile of scrap sitting in a warehouse, which would require a fortune to rebuild, and the estate was bogged down in family squabbles.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2022 at 2:50 AM, George Graves said:

When you're so unsure of the boat you made - you need to add foreshadowing into the mix.

Screenshot 2022-01-26 181524.jpg

I'd argue this is not so much foreshadowing, as, and this is common practice in my professional field, expectation management.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, toddster said:

Last I heard, it was a charred, disassembled pile of scrap sitting in a warehouse, which would require a fortune to rebuild, and the estate was bogged down in family squabbles.  

Sad. Many such cases!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacques was dedicated to everything he embraced. I met him at the Cousteau Society in Norfolk in the late 80’s. Too bad he waited so long to restore his dream boat…

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Al Paca said:

It’s been what 12 days ? Anyone hear a mayday?

They made it to the Dominican Republic. For a moment it even seemed he was willing to admit he learned something from the trip:

image.thumb.png.aa051778d76073273bf432bb934693d8.pngHe also learned compasses are obsolete.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After declaring compasses obsolete in his video as we have GPS now and "You can't steer by it as they don't move around that much." our astute explorer doubles down in the youtube comments:

 

image.png.c8cc24ff18afb3c6c9ee8b5998f59083.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Voiled said:

After declaring compasses obsolete in his video as we have GPS now and "You can't steer by it as they don't move around that much." our astute explorer doubles down in the youtube comments:

 

image.png.c8cc24ff18afb3c6c9ee8b5998f59083.png

"keeps you tied to the dock"  wow, he'll be lucky if he isn't tied to the bottom, a state which will render any form of navigation impossible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To really appreciate his compass remarks you have to realize they were made by someone that spend over a decade designing and building an "expedition vessel" and that likes to compare himself to Shackleton. Without ever spending a night at sea until two weeks ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Voiled said:

 For a moment it even seemed he was willing to admit he learned something from the trip:

He also learned compasses are obsolete.

Apparently (and frustratingly) you can lead a horse to knowledge but you can't make him learn. Hope he doesn't get anyone killed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Latadjust said:

Apparently (and frustratingly) you can lead a horse to knowledge but you can't make him learn. Hope he doesn't get anyone killed 

If he does get anyone killed, they'll have been willing participants...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chester said:

"keeps you tied to the dock"  wow, he'll be lucky if he isn't tied to the bottom, a state which will render any form of navigation impossible.

Well… he’s still tied to a parking lot 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2022 at 6:45 AM, George Graves said:

Screenshot 2022-02-03 220053.jpg

Is this an indication that dawn is breaking? The light of day soon to be seen?...

 

...."Naaaa"

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2022 at 11:00 AM, Voiled said:

After declaring compasses obsolete in his video as we have GPS now and "You can't steer by it as they don't move around that much." our astute explorer doubles down in the youtube comments:

 

image.png.c8cc24ff18afb3c6c9ee8b5998f59083.png

Paging Rimus-- please pick up the piss yellow courtesy phone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... I must admit I found that entertaining.  Perhaps it's his naive enthusiasm combined with the cringe worthy state of various things on the boat.  Kinda a Seeker-esk vibe.  I suppose there's a lot of people like that out there but they just don't build giant steel boats.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2022 at 11:48 AM, IStream said:

If he does get anyone killed, they'll have been willing participants...

I always thought this guy was a little strange and stubborn, but was kind of impressed he actually got this thing built. I also assumed he at least had some working knowledge of what he was doing, and that even if Seeker is a sketchy, slow POS it would at least float if it ever makes it into the water.

After watching his most recent video, learning to sail pt. 2, I now understand what everyone is taking about. This guy just isn't eccentric, he is off the wall insane. He knows nothing about what he has been doing, and is too stubborn to listen to anyone who could help. His caviler attitude is going to get someone killed. I really hope the "port" he is sitting at doesn't allow this criminally negligent monstrosity into the water.

I can't get over my favorite line in the video, "apparently on a sailboat ropes are called sheets, and I think that one is called the jib sheet".

If you are learning to sail that is a PERFECTLY normal statement, if you have a DIY steel boat you plan on taking out the ocean that is terrifying.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, acwood said:

If you are learning to sail that is a PERFECTLY normal statement, if you have a DIY steel boat you plan on taking out the ocean that is terrifying.  

10 years.  He's had 10 years to get on a boat and learn - or just to see if he likes it. (And more importantly learn why the systems he's tried to duplicate by mimicking them, are they way they are)   So far it looks like he likes sailing, but way too soon to tell.  (BTW- Latest video is above)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slacktide said:

Hmmm... I must admit I found that entertaining.  Perhaps it's his naive enthusiasm combined with the cringe worthy state of various things on the boat.  Kinda a Seeker-esk vibe.  I suppose there's a lot of people like that out there but they just don't build giant steel boats.

Wait until he tries to compensate a compass on that massive chunk of ferrous metal!

Maybe that's why he thinks compasses are useless.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I've not seen before and is not present on my boat are wires connecting all the backing plates and chainplates in the forepeak at 13:35. I presume these are some kind of grounding wire, but if for lightning they seem way undersized, and why would you need them on the backing plates for the cleats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Slacktide said:

Hmmm... I must admit I found that entertaining.  Perhaps it's his naive enthusiasm combined with the cringe worthy state of various things on the boat.  Kinda a Seeker-esk vibe.  I suppose there's a lot of people like that out there but they just don't build giant steel boats.

He has a knack of taking  you on a journey with him, his camera work is simple and good, the sound is generally wind free.

He is good at what he does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, accnick said:

Wait until he tries to compensate a compass on that massive chunk of ferrous metal!

Maybe that's why he thinks compasses are useless.

Funnily enough I don't have a magnetic compass on my boat either.

It's a steel boat and I sail in home waters. Don't need one. Situation changes, I'll revisit it. I have one on the shelf in the workshop.

I know someone like Doug locally. We call him the energizer bunny. Lots of go go go, judgement, maybe not so evident, thinking things through? Nah.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how his followers proffer a bit of advice in the meekest, mildest, least-confrontational way possible and then are careful to praise him to high heaven, in fear of being banned from the comments section. And then of course he shits on them anyway.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Something I've not seen before and is not present on my boat are wires connecting all the backing plates and chainplates in the forepeak at 13:35. I presume these are some kind of grounding wire, but if for lightning they seem way undersized, and why would you need them on the backing plates for the cleats?

Grounding wires to connect all metals to zincs

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

............He is good at what he does.

Videos, yes,  ... and an inspiring energy level. Shame it was a bit misdirected in the hull structural design detail, I wince when I see some of his work.

The book Doug attributes his video success to:

 

How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck

.....a quick and easy guide that will make your video better instantly-- whether you read it cover to cover or just skim a few chapters.  It's about the language of video. How to think like a director, regardless of equipment (amateurs think about the camera, pros think about communication).  It's about the rules developed over a century of movie-making--which work just as well when shooting a two-year-old's birthday party. Written by Steve Stockman, the director of Two Weeks (2007), plus TV shows, music videos, and hundreds of commercials, How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck explains in 74 short, pithy, insightful chapters how to tell a story and entertain your audience. How to shoot video people will want to watch. 

Here's how to think in shots--how to move-point-shoot-stop-repeat, instead of planting yourself in one spot and pressing "Record" for five minutes. Why never to shoot until you see the whites of your subject's eyes. Why to "zoom" with your feet and not the lens. How to create intrigue on camera. The book covers the basics of video production: framing, lighting, sound (use an external mic), editing, special effects (turn them off!), and gives advice on shooting a variety of specific situations: sporting events, parties and family gatherings, graduations and performances. Plus, how to make instructional and promotional videos, how to make a music video, how to capture stunts, and much more. At the end of every chapter is a suggestion of how to immediately put what you learned into practice, so the next time you're shooting you'll have begun to master the skill. Accompanying the book is a website with video clips to illustrate different video production rules, techniques, and situations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MikeJohns said:

Videos, yes,  ... and an inspiring energy level. Shame it was a bit misdirected in the hull structural design detail, I wince when I see some of his work.

The book Doug attributes his video success to:

 

How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck

.....a quick and easy guide that will make your video better instantly-- whether you read it cover to cover or just skim a few chapters.  It's about the language of video. How to think like a director, regardless of equipment (amateurs think about the camera, pros think about communication).  It's about the rules developed over a century of movie-making--which work just as well when shooting a two-year-old's birthday party. Written by Steve Stockman, the director of Two Weeks (2007), plus TV shows, music videos, and hundreds of commercials, How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck explains in 74 short, pithy, insightful chapters how to tell a story and entertain your audience. How to shoot video people will want to watch. 

Here's how to think in shots--how to move-point-shoot-stop-repeat, instead of planting yourself in one spot and pressing "Record" for five minutes. Why never to shoot until you see the whites of your subject's eyes. Why to "zoom" with your feet and not the lens. How to create intrigue on camera. The book covers the basics of video production: framing, lighting, sound (use an external mic), editing, special effects (turn them off!), and gives advice on shooting a variety of specific situations: sporting events, parties and family gatherings, graduations and performances. Plus, how to make instructional and promotional videos, how to make a music video, how to capture stunts, and much more. At the end of every chapter is a suggestion of how to immediately put what you learned into practice, so the next time you're shooting you'll have begun to master the skill. Accompanying the book is a website with video clips to illustrate different video production rules, techniques, and situations.

I bought that book.  It's mostly filler.  The actual content could be written on a couple of note cards.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, toddster said:

I bought that book.  It's mostly filler.  The actual content could be written on a couple of note cards.  

Good to know, and confusing that Doug thought it so great unless it was some sort of deal......

 Is there a book on shooting vids that does meet muster ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Something I've not seen before and is not present on my boat are wires connecting all the backing plates and chainplates in the forepeak at 13:35. I presume these are some kind of grounding wire, but if for lightning they seem way undersized, and why would you need them on the backing plates for the cleats?

Ask the builder. Sounds like part of a lightning grounding system to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MikeJohns said:

Good to know, and confusing that Doug thought it so great unless it was some sort of deal......

 Is there a book on shooting vids that does meet muster ?

As I recall, quite a lot of that book consists of The Author bragging about how much smarter he is than everyone else, and telling you how great the book is. Sound familiar?

I seem to recall some of our more experienced members making recommendations a couple of years ago. Perhaps in the Girl With Patreon Account thread?

This one is supposed to be pretty good.  Haven't had time to read it:

41pVLsvZrDL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The problem with most of these "filmmaking" books is that most of the ones I've looked through go in to great detail about how to format a script, how to pitch a project, how to manage a cast and crew, and little or nothing about the technical details of camera use, lighting, sound, editing, etc.  I don't care at all about the former basket of stuff, only the latter.  Which so far I've only found dribbled out in bits and pieces here and there.  

So, in that sense, yes that "Don't Suck" book does deal with the technical details in the simplest possible way. It just doesn't have a whole book worth of content.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that it's full of wacky assertions such as "YouTube videos with the highest view count always have superior camera technique."  Uh, Dude... have you ever watched YouTube?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeJohns said:

Good to know, and confusing that Doug thought it so great unless it was some sort of deal......

 

He also promotes books by Jordan Peterson and a lobbyist selling the idea we should let the free market solve climate change.

 

Also, "confusing that Doug thought it so great", I hope that was sarcasm.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longy said:

On the boat he's learning to sail on - not the seeker.

OK, my misunderstanding - I don't watch Doug's vids any more, it all got far too painful.

I really, really want to see that boat launched though, with full video coverage, including drone footage just in case it turtles and sinks...

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Roscoe said:

I love how his followers proffer a bit of advice in the meekest, mildest, least-confrontational way possible and then are careful to praise him to high heaven, in fear of being banned from the comments section. And then of course he shits on them anyway.

If it rolls over and finds the bottom they'll still say "Just building it was a victory!" and "What have you built today, hater?"  It's all part of the sick silly world of the Youtube fan base.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

OK, my misunderstanding - I don't watch Doug's vids any more, it all got far too painful.

I really, really want to see that boat launched though, with full video coverage, including drone footage just in case it turtles and sinks...

FKT

Or it rolls over, and crushes an endangered turtle.  All posted online.

Then we get to look forward to a years worth of online vids from Doug on fighting the US Fed Gov't and the fines he's garnered.  Meanwhile he'd given a bill for the cleanup, and his argument is that he could have scrapped his boat himself, better, for 1/4 of the fees he's been charged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, low bum said:

If it rolls over and finds the bottom they'll still say "Just building it was a victory!" and "What have you built today, hater?"  It's all part of the sick silly world of the Youtube fan base.

Basic to narcissists, innit? No amount of praise or deference or 'going along to get along' is ever enuf with them. So I flat-out refuse to engage. There are no good outcomes with NPD types. They feed on conflict as much as on flattery. It's all attention, and being the center of attention IS WHAT THE UNIVERSE OWES ME!! (ahem)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Most people don’t realise the key aspect of narcissism is lack of empathy; not just grandiosity. 

They are truly all alike; it’s bizarre. 

Lack of basic cognitive abilities enables them to flourish in their niche because most people are incapable of comprehending how it is possible to be alive while lacking said cognitive abilities.

Thus, many people have inadequate defense mechanisms against them.

It’s fascinating. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s coming up to the 6 month anniversary of the original launch date.  Could it be another 6 months in the parking lot?   Are a few potted plants on the horizon?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

It’s coming up to the 6 month anniversary of the original launch date.  Could it be another 6 months in the parking lot?   Are a few potted plants on the horizon?

Surely 6 months of waiting has been long enough?

I am now eager to see the next phase of the shitshow, when the Frankenboat begins its painful relationship with the water

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2022 at 12:34 AM, TwoLegged said:

Surely 6 months of waiting has been long enough?

I am now eager to see the next phase of the shitshow, when the Frankenboat begins its painful relationship with the water

For a few years now and have been anxiously awaiting to see how many potentially fatal head injuries result from the spikey dragon gussets he has all over the cabin.  I emailed him way back about this being a bad idea,  but of course we all know how well he takes tips.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2022 at 9:34 PM, TwoLegged said:

... begins its painful relationship with the water

You are a true poet sir, a wordsmith indeed 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK what's the deal with this - it doesn't take six months to find insurance, if there is any to be had.  Or is everyone being had here?  Is he just mining for views at this point, finding odd jobs (very odd) to do? 

Link to post
Share on other sites