Jump to content

Latest from Waters (D, CA)


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

I'm surprised that the usual suspects in here have nothing to say about a sitting (D) rep inciting violence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9483471/Fury-Maxine-Waters-tells-Minnesota-BLM-protesters-weve-got-confrontational.html

 

Oh, wait, lefty run violence is acceptable to them.

Where did she advocate violence?  Oh right she didn’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured Butts Per Minute was referring to his idol John Waters....

image.jpeg.4e9e790cc17ae2546d9568c72f8c51cd.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Remember Drumpf and his “stop the steal” speech?  

Was that the one where he said "March to the Capitol" "Fight Like Hell" and " I'll be right there".......asking for a friend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpm57 said:

I'm surprised that the usual suspects in here have nothing to say about a sitting (D) rep inciting violence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9483471/Fury-Maxine-Waters-tells-Minnesota-BLM-protesters-weve-got-confrontational.html

 

Oh, wait, lefty run violence is acceptable to them.

It's obviously a Trump supporter in a Maxine Walters suit.

Tou fucking ché

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When will mad Maxine be thrown out of congress?

 

More of that "mostly peaceful" protesting the PA lefty echo chamber cheers on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Confrontational ≠ Violent

Nice try.

Now, if she'd said some of this shit, you'd have a point. 

By the way, what was your position when this was being said?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Confrontational ≠ Violent

Nice try.

Now, if she'd said some of this shit, you'd have a point. 

By the way, what was your position when this was being said?

I'm guessing supine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as @bpm57 shows one quarter the patriotism, leadership & civic responsibility of Maxine Waters I will consider his viewpoint on her statements as worthy of consideration.

I don’t respect him, so I care naught about his FOX News opinions.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

When will mad Maxine be thrown out of congress?

 

More of that "mostly peaceful" protesting the PA lefty echo chamber cheers on.

 

No class at all.

Should have grabbed a guardsman, drug him down some stars, and beat his ass with flag poles.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Confrontational ≠ Violent

Nice try.

Now, if she'd said some of this shit, you'd have a point. 

By the way, what was your position when this was being said?

Not resonating.  Got anything from a black woman?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

As soon as @bpm57 shows one quarter the patriotism, leadership & civic responsibility of Maxine Waters I will consider his viewpoint on her statements as worthy of consideration.

I don’t respect him, so I care naught about his FOX News opinions.

I'd be content with him showing a single synapse firing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd be content with him showing a single synapse firing.

It would more likely be imploding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd be content with him showing a single synapse firing.

theyde hafte to be a series of them befoire youde notice annythinge..........  juste sayemg.                  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

theyde hafte to be a series of them befoire youde notice annythinge..........  juste sayemg.                  :)

Ten in a row gives you a grunt. Fifty gives you the entirety of Amnerica Furst.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's not much dot-connecting necessary here. Waters said that if Chauvin is not found guilty -- closing arguments in the case began Monday -- then "we've got to get more confrontational." And she said it in a city that has seen protests and arrests in its streets for the last week.

That sort of rhetoric -- at a moment of such heightened tensions -- is irresponsible coming from anyone. It's especially irresponsible coming from an elected official like Waters....

... Yes, it is more than a little rich for Republicans to express outrage about incitement given that former President Donald Trump quite clearly incited the crowd at the January 6 "Stop the Steal" rally -- which led directly to the violent insurrection at the US Capitol. And because almost 150 House Republicans voted to oppose the Electoral College results after that riot. And many of whom -- Mo Brooks, Jim Jordan, etc. -- continue to insist, contra all available evidence, that Trump was cheated out of the election. And several of whom circulated a flier last week promoting the creation of the "America First" caucus that promised, among other things to foster "common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions." (The caucus has apparently been scrapped.)

Yes, it's beyond ridiculous for Republicans to display selective outrage about Waters when they spent the last four years not just ignoring but enabling Trump's conduct -- much of which was aimed at dividing the country along on racial, ethnic and gender lines.

But simply because that is undeniably true doesn't mean that Democrats -- especially Democratic elected officials like Waters -- should have carte blanche to say and do whatever they want. For all of the people making the "what about Republicans!!!" argument, remember this: You can only claim the moral high ground if you don't get down in the dirt yourself.

Republicans are wrong for aiding and abetting Trump. Period. Waters is wrong for encouraging confrontation and violence in a situation that requires the exact opposite of our leaders. Period.

Maxine Waters just inflamed a very volatile situation - CNNPolitics

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's. Gonna. Get. Fugly.

 

 

Very, very soon. Travel agent time, Kidz. Seriously. I'd be packing my shit right about now, leaving messages on my customers phone's.....and maxxing out my gas cards if was still up in Maxine Land. Or Anywhere, America for that matter.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

It's. Gonna. Get. Fugly.

 

 

Very, very soon. Travel agent time, Kidz. Seriously. I'd be packing my shit right about now, leaving messages on my customers phone's.....and maxxing out my gas cards if was still up in Maxine Land. Or Anywhere, America for that matter.....

Fortunately for you and us you’ve fled to Mexico.  We not being terrified nor felonious are comfortable staying put in the US. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

It's. Gonna. Get. Fugly.

 

 

Very, very soon. Travel agent time, Kidz. Seriously. I'd be packing my shit right about now, leaving messages on my customers phone's.....and maxxing out my gas cards if was still up in Maxine Land. Or Anywhere, America for that matter.....

Pussy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it always the right wing nuts proclaiming that civil war is just around the corner... maybe it's their favourite fantasy to come in to save the Republic, with guns blazing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2021 at 1:37 PM, bpm57 said:

I'm surprised that the usual suspects in here have nothing to say about a sitting (D) rep inciting violence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9483471/Fury-Maxine-Waters-tells-Minnesota-BLM-protesters-weve-got-confrontational.html

 

Oh, wait, lefty run violence is acceptable to them.

I'll call her out. She shouldn't do that.

The reality is, it won't make any difference. If Chauvin is not convicted after the entire world could see what he did, the demonstrations would happen anyway.

Now @bpm57, where were you the many times Trump called for violence? Hmmmm?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are protests/demonstrations/riots and anyone believes Rep. Waters' comments are the impetus, you have NOT been paying attention for the past few decades.  Beat the shit out of a guy named Rodney King and let the cops walk must not resonate with you.  How many times have we seen black bodies ruined and the police skirting accountability?

Shit, factor in lynchings, Bloody Sunday, Emmett Till, and hundreds of other examples.

I am NOT calling for violence.  But, I have a tiny inkling why it may explode.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

It's. Gonna. Get. Fugly.

 

 

Very, very soon. Travel agent time, Kidz. Seriously. I'd be packing my shit right about now, leaving messages on my customers phone's.....and maxxing out my gas cards if was still up in Maxine Land. Or Anywhere, America for that matter.....

When black people storm the nation’s Capitol, beat cops and shit on the place, I’ll start worrying more about them than I do about white insurrectionists. They just don’t scare me that much. I find spraying bear spray or throwing a fire extinguisher at a cops head way more scary than stealing a pair of Air Jordans. 
 

When they demand rights, they are not asking to take rights away from us. It’s not a pie. We don’t have less when we share. It isn’t a zero sum game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's found not guilty or whatever, the Rodney King riots are gonna look like a fuking fund raiser for Stevie Wowner's new prescription compared to the shit that's gonna happen this week. 

 

Good luck, Kidz.....you're gonna need it.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

If he's found not guilty or whatever, the Rodney King riots are gonna look like a fuking fund raiser for Stevie Wowner's new prescription compared to the shit that's gonna happen this week. 

 

Good luck, Kidz.....you're gonna need it.....

If he’s found not quilty we as a country will deserve it.  I don’t see that happening based on the evidence at trial, and witness testimony, and I don’t think the defense attend was good enough to get a Trumpaloon on the jury. 
Still not scared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

It's. Gonna. Get. Fugly.

 

 

Very, very soon. Travel agent time, Kidz. Seriously. I'd be packing my shit right about now, leaving messages on my customers phone's.....and maxxing out my gas cards if was still up in Maxine Land. Or Anywhere, America for that matter.....

We will ride it out just fine in West Michigan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Greever said:

We will ride it out just fine in West Michigan.

It's supposed to snow 4" tomorrow evening in the Detroit area; this is not good rioting weather.  We'll be fine.  A quick verdict spells trouble for Chauvin...which he has earned.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

It's supposed to snow 4" tomorrow evening in the Detroit area; this is not good rioting weather.  We'll be fine.  A quick verdict spells trouble for Chauvin...which he has earned.  

I heard the same about the 4”.

Will still drive to work tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(CNN)The judge overseeing former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin's trial in the death of George Floyd said Monday that Rep. Maxine Waters' comments could be grounds for appealing a verdict in the trial.

"I'll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned," Judge Peter Cahill told defense attorney Eric Nelson on Monday.

Judge in Derek Chauvin trial denies motion for mistrial over Rep. Maxine Waters' comments - CNNPolitics

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, benwynn said:

(CNN)The judge overseeing former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin's trial in the death of George Floyd said Monday that Rep. Maxine Waters' comments could be grounds for appealing a verdict in the trial.

"I'll give you that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned," Judge Peter Cahill told defense attorney Eric Nelson on Monday.

Judge in Derek Chauvin trial denies motion for mistrial over Rep. Maxine Waters' comments - CNNPolitics

 

The judge was really pissed over Megamouth Maxine's comment but in the end he denied the motion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hard On The Wind said:

The judge was really pissed over Megamouth Maxine's comment but in the end he denied the motion.

He denied the motion for mistrial but clearly advised the defense they may have a shot having the trial overturned. 

I'm fucking sick of politicians trying this shit out of court.  They are supposed to be better than us.  It's practically their job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, benwynn said:

He denied the motion for mistrial but clearly advised the defense they may have a shot having the trial overturned. 

I'm fucking sick of politicians trying this shit out of court.  They are supposed to be better than us.  It's practically their job. 

There is zero shot of overturning on appeal but there is 100% chance of appeal.  The hokey is that he remains imprisoned while waiting on his appeal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maxine Waters....just now....single handingly.... completely fuked up this entire trial.

 

Wfd you stupid you stupid f'ng cunt. Hope you and you elk are f'ng happy for your actions, the mistrial...and the ensuing deaths & destruction that are on the way......:angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

Maxine Waters....just now....single handingly.... completely fuked up this entire trial.

 

Wfd you stupid you stupid f'ng cunt. Hope you and you elk are f'ng happy for your actions, the mistrial...and the ensuing deaths & destruction that are on the way......:angry:

Fucked it up for you? You are aware that the jurors didn't hear a word of what she said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Maxine Waters....just now....single handingly.... completely fuked up this entire trial.

Wfd you stupid you stupid f'ng cunt. Hope you and you elk are f'ng happy for your actions, the mistrial...and the ensuing deaths & destruction that are on the way......:angry:

Please pay attention, the mistrial was denied.  The judge told the defense that her comments MAY give them an opening on appeal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

There is zero shot of overturning on appeal but there is 100% chance of appeal.  The hokey is that he remains imprisoned while waiting on his appeal.

A District Court Judge with 37 years of professional experience says there is a chance of the trial being overturned.  You say there is a zero shot.

Who's opinion will I go with?   Let's just say I don't have to sleep on it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Fucked it up for you? You are aware that the jurors didn't hear a word of what she said.

She said it over the weekend before the jury was sequestered so they certainly had the potential to hear it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, benwynn said:

He denied the motion for mistrial but clearly advised the defense they may have a shot having the trial overturned. 

I'm fucking sick of politicians trying this shit out of court.  They are supposed to be better than us.  It's practically their job. 

It won’t get overturned because of that. She needs to stay in her lane, but she won’t get a possible conviction overturned with her comments. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, benwynn said:

A District Court Judge with 37 years of professional experience says there is a chance of the trial being overturned.  You say there is a zero shot.

Who's opinion will I go with?   Let's just say I don't have to sleep on it. 

He was grandstanding, he doesn’t believe it.  Going with my option is your best shot on this matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It won’t get overturned because of that. She needs to stay in her lane, but she won’t get a possible conviction overturned with her comments. 

Overturning would be a really shitty precedent to set.  Maxine should be censured or whatever they do in the House to say bad girl. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Overturning would be a really shitty precedent to set.  Maxine should be censured or whatever they do in the House to say bad girl. 

She didn’t advocate violence,  nothing to be censured for.  It’s worth a “shut the fuck up” in private from say someone like Hakeem Jeffries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mike G said:

They should fight like hell, and have a trial by combat!

Hmmmm, where have I heard that, before?  Something about an Insurrection Rally comes to mind.

Wonder how the Faithful who have their panties in a twist about the phrase "get more confrontational" feel about that kind of talk?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Overturning would be a really shitty precedent to set.  Maxine should be censured or whatever they do in the House to say bad girl. 

If Marjorie Taylor Greene didn't get censured for threatening to kill Nancy Pelosi, maybe Republicans should just leave this one alone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please pay attention, the mistrial was denied.  The judge told the defense that her comments MAY give them an opening on appeal.

You're pretty new to our little planet, aren'tcha? Sit back and give it 36 hours and you'll see what I mean when all Hell breaks out this week.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Why is it always the right wing nuts proclaiming that civil war is just around the corner... maybe it's their favourite fantasy to come in to save the Republic, with guns blazing. 

Real Americans keeping those oaths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2021 at 5:42 PM, Al Paca said:

Remember Drumpf and his “stop the steal” speech?  

 

On 4/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, Navig8tor said:

Was that the one where he said "March to the Capitol" "Fight Like Hell" and " I'll be right there".......asking for a friend.

Here's the transcript, read it for yourself.  I think the part you want is right at the end.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-speech-save-america-rally-transcript-january-6

Our brightest days are before us, our greatest achievements still wait. I think one of our great achievements will be election security because nobody until I came along, had any idea how corrupt our elections were. And again, most people would stand there at 9:00 in the evening and say, “I want to thank you very much,” and they go off to some other life, but I said, “Something’s wrong here. Something’s really wrong. Can’t have happened.” And we fight. We fight like Hell and if you don’t fight like Hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

Donald Trump: (01:12:21)
Our exciting adventures and boldest endeavors have not yet begun. My fellow Americans for our movement, for our children and for our beloved country and I say this, despite all that’s happened, the best is yet to come.

Donald Trump: (01:12:43)
So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

Donald Trump: (01:13:19)
So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

 

Here's the transcript, read it for yourself.  I think the part you want is right at the end.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-speech-save-america-rally-transcript-january-6

Our brightest days are before us, our greatest achievements still wait. I think one of our great achievements will be election security because nobody until I came along, had any idea how corrupt our elections were. And again, most people would stand there at 9:00 in the evening and say, “I want to thank you very much,” and they go off to some other life, but I said, “Something’s wrong here. Something’s really wrong. Can’t have happened.” And we fight. We fight like Hell and if you don’t fight like Hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

Donald Trump: (01:12:21)
Our exciting adventures and boldest endeavors have not yet begun. My fellow Americans for our movement, for our children and for our beloved country and I say this, despite all that’s happened, the best is yet to come.

Donald Trump: (01:12:43)
So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

Donald Trump: (01:13:19)
So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.

I guess you didn't watch television that day

'We won this election, and we won it by a landslide'

This was three minutes into his speech. It was a false assertion that Democrats used as the starting point for the incitement charge - not just because he said it on this day but for weeks before.

This quote appears in the article of impeachment, the charge that was backed by the House of Representatives, lower chamber of Congress.

In the months preceding the Joint Session, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the Presidential election results were the product of widespread fraud and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by State or Federal officials. Shortly before the Joint Session commenced, President Trump, addressed a crowd at the Ellipse in Washington, DC. There, he reiterated false claims that "we won this election, and we won it by a landslide".

The article has been sent to the Senate, where Mr Trump's trial will begin on Tuesday.

'We will stop the steal'

Here Trump was echoing the slogan of the movement to fight Mr Biden's election victory, which was started a day after the result was declared. 

It soon gathered pace on social media and led to rallies across the US. The largest one yet was the one Mr Trump addressed on 6 January.

 

'We will never give up. We will never concede. It doesn't happen'

This was Mr Trump saying in the clearest terms yet that he will never accept Mr Biden's win. 

Referring to himself and his supporters collectively, Mr Trump said there would be no concession.

He went on: "You don't concede when there's theft involved. Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore."At one point, Mr Trump said the Biden presidency had to be challenged.

"You will have an illegitimate president. That is what you will have, and we can't let that happen."

'If you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore'

This is the longest quote from Mr Trump's speech that appears in the article of impeachment. It could also be the one that his lawyers will find hardest to defend in the trial.

 

He also wilfully made statements that, in context, encouraged - and foreseeably resulted in - lawless action at the Capitol, such as: "if you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore".

However, Mr Trump's lawyers have argued his use of the word "fight" was figurative, which has long been accepted in public discourse.

'Peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard'

This was the part of Mr Trump's speech that his defenders have seized on to show that he never incited the crowd.

He said: "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

The language was very different from other sections, which borrowed more from combat or war.

Indeed, Mr Trump's lawyers have suggested they will highlight his use of the word "peacefully" in the trial.

'We are going to the Capitol'

The president used "we" but he didn't join them as his supporters took the short walk from the rally to Congress.

He said: "We're going to walk down to the Capitol and we're going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we're probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them."

Short presentational grey line

Analysis by Professor Epps

What is incitement under the law?

Incitement is not a crime under the First Amendment unless it meets certain criteria. 

First of all, it has to be intended to cause violence (and you infer that intent from the circumstances). It also has to be likely to cause violence. 

If I go downtown and I say to two drunks standing in front of a bank, "let's rob this bank right now", I haven't really incited anybody, because it's not very likely they'll rob the bank. 

If I say let's meet here tomorrow and rip things up, I'm not inciting because - in the words of the Supreme Court - where there is time for better counsels to prevail, the remedy for speech is more speech.

The speech has to be likely to cause - and this is very important - imminent violent action.

If this was a court of law, does Trump cross the line?

It's quite rare that somebody can be convicted of incitement. In applying that to the president's speech at the rally, it's an agonisingly close case. 

It's pretty goddamn imminent because he's telling people to march to the Capitol and I will march with you. There wouldn't be any time for better counsels to prevail because you're just going to leave the Ellipse and walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. 

He said we have to fight and show strength, but he also said we're very peacefully and patriotically going to ask, so he's covering himself. In the end, I think it's a jury question.

I'm not sure he's entitled to a dismissal of charges as a matter of law. There's some discussion that government leaders have more leeway, but I don't know how that would play out. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55640437

He clearly knew there were people in that crowd who were ready to and intended to be violent, and he certainly did nothing to discourage that. He not only did nothing to discourage it, he strongly hinted it should happen. 

Reporting by Sam Cabral

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

You're pretty new to our little planet, aren'tcha? Sit back and give it 36 hours and you'll see what I mean when all Hell breaks out this week.....

Care to make it interesting?  I'll give it 36hrs and say all hell won't break loose.  Whomever is wrong takes a two-week holiday from this website.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

You're pretty new to our little planet, aren'tcha? Sit back and give it 36 hours and you'll see what I mean when all Hell breaks out this week.....

 

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Care to make it interesting?  I'll give it 36hrs and say all hell won't break loose.  Whomever is wrong takes a two-week holiday from this website.  

So I assume you're not only an asshole, but a gutless asshole.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I guess you didn't watch television that day

'We won this election, and we won it by a landslide'

This was three minutes into his speech. It was a false assertion that Democrats used as the starting point for the incitement charge - not just because he said it on this day but for weeks before.

This quote appears in the article of impeachment, the charge that was backed by the House of Representatives, lower chamber of Congress.

In the months preceding the Joint Session, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the Presidential election results were the product of widespread fraud and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by State or Federal officials. Shortly before the Joint Session commenced, President Trump, addressed a crowd at the Ellipse in Washington, DC. There, he reiterated false claims that "we won this election, and we won it by a landslide".

The article has been sent to the Senate, where Mr Trump's trial will begin on Tuesday.

'We will stop the steal'

Here Trump was echoing the slogan of the movement to fight Mr Biden's election victory, which was started a day after the result was declared. 

It soon gathered pace on social media and led to rallies across the US. The largest one yet was the one Mr Trump addressed on 6 January.

 

'We will never give up. We will never concede. It doesn't happen'

This was Mr Trump saying in the clearest terms yet that he will never accept Mr Biden's win. 

Referring to himself and his supporters collectively, Mr Trump said there would be no concession.

He went on: "You don't concede when there's theft involved. Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore."At one point, Mr Trump said the Biden presidency had to be challenged.

"You will have an illegitimate president. That is what you will have, and we can't let that happen."

'If you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore'

This is the longest quote from Mr Trump's speech that appears in the article of impeachment. It could also be the one that his lawyers will find hardest to defend in the trial.

 

He also wilfully made statements that, in context, encouraged - and foreseeably resulted in - lawless action at the Capitol, such as: "if you don't fight like hell you're not going to have a country anymore".

However, Mr Trump's lawyers have argued his use of the word "fight" was figurative, which has long been accepted in public discourse.

'Peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard'

This was the part of Mr Trump's speech that his defenders have seized on to show that he never incited the crowd.

He said: "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

The language was very different from other sections, which borrowed more from combat or war.

Indeed, Mr Trump's lawyers have suggested they will highlight his use of the word "peacefully" in the trial.

'We are going to the Capitol'

The president used "we" but he didn't join them as his supporters took the short walk from the rally to Congress.

He said: "We're going to walk down to the Capitol and we're going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we're probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them."

Short presentational grey line

Analysis by Professor Epps

What is incitement under the law?

Incitement is not a crime under the First Amendment unless it meets certain criteria. 

First of all, it has to be intended to cause violence (and you infer that intent from the circumstances). It also has to be likely to cause violence. 

If I go downtown and I say to two drunks standing in front of a bank, "let's rob this bank right now", I haven't really incited anybody, because it's not very likely they'll rob the bank. 

If I say let's meet here tomorrow and rip things up, I'm not inciting because - in the words of the Supreme Court - where there is time for better counsels to prevail, the remedy for speech is more speech.

The speech has to be likely to cause - and this is very important - imminent violent action.

If this was a court of law, does Trump cross the line?

It's quite rare that somebody can be convicted of incitement. In applying that to the president's speech at the rally, it's an agonisingly close case. 

It's pretty goddamn imminent because he's telling people to march to the Capitol and I will march with you. There wouldn't be any time for better counsels to prevail because you're just going to leave the Ellipse and walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. 

He said we have to fight and show strength, but he also said we're very peacefully and patriotically going to ask, so he's covering himself. In the end, I think it's a jury question.

I'm not sure he's entitled to a dismissal of charges as a matter of law. There's some discussion that government leaders have more leeway, but I don't know how that would play out. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55640437

He clearly knew there were people in that crowd who were ready to and intended to be violent, and he certainly did nothing to discourage that. He not only did nothing to discourage it, he strongly hinted it should happen. 

Reporting by Sam Cabral

Is the National Guard going to protect the Capitol from those Patriots in the event of a conviction? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, Nice! said:

I'll call her out. She shouldn't do that.

The reality is, it won't make any difference. If Chauvin is not convicted after the entire world could see what he did, the demonstrations would happen anyway.

Now @bpm57, where were you the many times Trump called for violence? Hmmmm?

@bpm57? Crickets so far.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Seriously? Who cares what he has to say.

Yep he has nothing tangible to contribute, prolly over on Parlee or Gag trying to copy and paste some inflammatory RWNJ talking point to drop here.

He should change his handle to Auger cause he will always gets shot down quickly here and he never fails to Auger in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Nice! said:
On 4/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, Nice! said:

Now @bpm57, where were you the many times Trump called for violence? Hmmmm?

@bpm57? Crickets so far.....

To answer the question posed would require integrity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

he never fails to Auger in.

And that does not augur well. 

He likely needs a good angering. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...