Telsa, Bring your marshmallows.

my current car is ford cmax energi.  20 miles of all electric and then 13 gallons of gas to back it up.

charge at home charge at work.  charge at the marina.  my best tank i went nearly 1200 miles on 13 gallons.  drive to-from work is 15 miles.  marina is 52.

wont win any style points, but its just an appliance..

my last tank I went 353 miles on 12 gallons of fuel and went 638 miles on 100kwh  at  $0.09 per Kwh    that 9 bucks. for 638 miles.  and likley half of those miles were charged at work or the marina.  so i went 638 miles on $4.50...    I went 353 miles on $30.36   29 mpg.  combines  that 82.5 mpg.     so almost 1000 miles for 35 bucks...  Ill take it...

I was running a 3.5 gallon outboard tank a few months on La Bamba, and decided to try out the 13 y/old Nuvi I bought for 3 bucks at a Mexican swap meet. Did a 66-ish mile r/trip to the hot springs & back......and was pleasantly surprised to get 12.2 mpg's.....:lol:

FB_IMG_1611373550942.jpg

5 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I don't see an EV in my future.  Just seems to me like a lot of buck for the bang.

I just bought my last petrol car! 

I'll go electric in a few more years when Audi gets their new EV line sorted, which looks rather hot based on recent announcements!

Buck for the bang? I've yet to drive one but a Model 3 can do sub 4 sec 0 - 60s, if you're willing to shell out $56K for a new one or $250K - $2M depending on your choice of hyper car brand to hit the same numbers.... that is if pasting your eyeballs to the back of your head in a car is a thing! That's bang for the buck!

Trick for me on that plaid speed bullshit is if you can't slow the car down or handle turns as fast as you got it there, you are a life flight waiting to happen. See OP!

I'm at 4.5ish secs in a used 2018 Audi S5 and it's unsettling stupid fucking fast to 60 but it's got brakes that make my glasses hit the windshield and turns that can partially black me out!

0 - 60 without control is just a dragster...

Can Tesla's do turns equal to their 0 - 60 performance? Are they really "S Class" level or even remotely super carish?

Would you enter a turn in a Tesla at the same speed you would in any real super car at the end of a long straight, just because you got there really fast???????

Had a real pretty metallic root beer brown '66 912 when I was like just 24, tanner than hell, salt water bleached hair halfway down my back, making decent coin and banging more than halfway decent looking beach chicks. I was digging life and having a blast, back in 1980-ish in So Cal. 912 engine was j7st a glorified VW 1600.....but with 9.3 comp ratio. Fun car, handled decently.....and I once got her up to 106 mph's on the Harbor Freeway south bound....after almost getting in a fight with Richard Blade's security detail at the Bonaventure Hotel's nightclub. Long story.

Anyways a couple months after buying this old gal I get a call from a mutual surf brah from Manhattan Beach. He's a couple years older than me but knows his fuking cars...having a '65 Corvette that he bought brand new and shit.

'Hey Rick, doing anything this Sunday?'

'Not reaIly, since there's no swell'.

'Cool, meet me at the lower south parking lot at 7:00..

I've got a new toy I want you to see.

Turns out it's a black market, shipped to New Joyzee in the pitch darkness, extremely un-legal 930 Porsche Turbo 3.0. Black on black on fuking black and sexier than a years supply of Vic's Secret catalogs. 

'Carey, wtf am I 'sposed to do with this thing?. I'm like a bit scared of.....you know....killing her?'

'It's real simple, Rick....it's 1st gear only from here to 45th Street in El Porto.....then 2nd gear max after we hit Vista Del Mar past El Segundo, under LAX.....and into Playa Del Rey. Then I drive her home'.

Holy fukoly but aside from the Merlin engines in P-52 Mustangs and mid 60's Ferrarri V-12's? There is no other sound more beautiful than what emanates from a forty year old 930 Porsche Turbo......

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/videos/a25388/video-magnus-walkers-flogs-super-rare-rhd-porsche-930/

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Liquid said:

I'll go electric in a few more years when Audi gets their new EV line sorted, which looks rather hot based on recent announcements!

Buck for the bang? I've yet to drive one but a Model 3 can do sub 4 sec 0 - 60s, if you're willing to shell out $56K for a new one or $250K - $2M depending on your choice of hyper car brand to hit the same numbers.... that is if pasting your eyeballs to the back of your head in a car is a thing! That's bang for the buck!

Trick for me on that plaid speed bullshit is if you can't slow the car down or handle turns as fast as you got it there, you are a life flight waiting to happen. See OP!

I'm at 4.5ish secs in a used 2018 Audi S5 and it's unsettling stupid fucking fast to 60 but it's got brakes that make my glasses hit the windshield and turns that can partially black me out!

Can Tesla's do turns equal to their 0 - 60 performance? Are they really "S Class" level or even remotely super carish?

Would you enter a turn in a Tesla at the same speed you would in any real super car at the end of a long straight, just because you got there really fast???????

Based on my autocross experience, EVs accelerate quickly for a limited number of runs, then they go into a cool down mode.  I just think EVs will be like CFL light bulbs, a temporary but limited answer until LED bulbs became commonplace.

• Like 1

This is the generation that will be buying stupid 'smart' cars....'Cuz they're dumber than shopping carts, Pez dispensers & and wingless kittens. 

Fml.....:lol:

FB_IMG_1590238437115.jpg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Based on my autocross experience, EVs accelerate quickly for a limited number of runs, then they go into a cool down mode.  I just think EVs will be like CFL light bulbs, a temporary but limited answer until LED bulbs became commonplace.

^and why I'll stick to petrol for a few more years!

However, what's the EV's version of the CFL's next leap????? A hydrogen bomb under the hood or in the trunk?

Fuck - cooling my 6S LiPo, 1/8 scale RC buggy motor and controller is a dual fan on heat sinks task! Electric delivery of power is astonishing and hot!

Cooling is an easier innovation to solve than the storage problem tho...

7 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

That is possibly the best way I have ever seen that said.

Electric cars are the future.  We just aren't in the future yet.

So far they are very good.  But they are not great yet.  And the incandescent light bulb still has a place even today.

The News media making the news instead of reporting it!

• A crash and subsequent fire of a Tesla Model S this past weekend quickly caught attention online for its"four-hour" blaze, but that's not exactly what happened, the fire chief told Car and Driver today.
  • The initial fireball was contained in a matter of minutes, and it was just tiny flareups that were a longer-lasting problem, chief Palmer Buck explained to the Houston Chronicle and C/D.
  • Although the chief acknowledges EV fires require different tactics by firefighters, Tesla and government safety data asserts that traditional internal-combustion vehicles experience one fire for every 19 million miles traveled; for Teslas EVs, it's one fire for 205 million miles traveled.
14 hours ago, Liquid said:

OK, Then they can build the toxic waste dump for the batteries in your backyard. Btw most of the power to recharge your petrol less car comes from diesel, gas or coal generators. I guess your ok with strip mining China for the Cobolt and Lithium for the batteries?

5 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

.... And the incandescent light bulb still has a place even today.

Trying to think what that is. Classic car restorations....and what else? Like vacuum tubes for guitar amps the entire world supply will be served out of a dusty Russian shop.

A breathless news article about the fire roared "13,000 gallons of water!" Which is nothing in firefighter terms. However the battery fire problem is something that needs to be addressed. There are going to be some horrendous fires blamed on EV's, certainly, just like gasoline vehicle fires in the past. 

Here is were your Telsa batteries come from; 

But this comes at an exceptional cost.“It is true, there are children in these mines,” provincial governor Richard Muyej, the highest-ranking government official in Kolwezi, said in an interview. He also acknowledged problems with mining-related deaths and pollution.

But, he said, his government is too poor to tackle these issues alone.

“The government is not a beggar,” Muyej said. “These companies have an obligation to create wealth in the area where they operate.”

Companies are unlikely to abandon Congo, for a simple reason: The world needs what Congo has.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/batteries/congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

cobalt-congo-1024.jpg

I seriously doubt that Tesla single sources the battery materials so don't really get the hate here, and just for fun we could post some of the coal and oil stuff including pollution.  EVs aren't in my immediate future although the SO may be soon.  Something I read a few months back - Tesla reliability and longevity has studies being done to be able to buy a new body instead of a new car, this being done on vehicles with 400 to 500k miles on them.

Change is hard for some people. as Eva Dent

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

OK, Then they can build the toxic waste dump for the batteries in your backyard. Btw most of the power to recharge your petrol less car comes from diesel, gas or coal generators. I guess your ok with strip mining China for the Cobolt and Lithium for the batteries?

I assume you live a 100% battery free life then! As well as avoiding all products that have been processed from earthly materials including all petroleum products and bi-products...... Do you tie your horse to your house that is obviously made of horse shit and hay?

I live in the PNW and we have these new interesting energy producing thingies like dams and wind turbines - lots of them. Some futuristic people even put solar panels on their roofs!

Psssst: it's 2021

9 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I assume you live a 100% battery free life then! As well as avoiding all products that have been processed from earthly materials including all petroleum products and bi-products...... Do you tie your horse to your house that is obviously made of horse shit and hay?

I live in the PNW and we have these new interesting energy producing thingies like dams and wind turbines - lots of them. Some futuristic people even put solar panels on their roofs!

Psssst: it's 2021

Less than 10% of produced power is by solar, wind and water.  My car has a lead acid battery that is 100% recyclable.

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

This ^ is the issue I have with "green" and electric vehicles. Plain and Simple.

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Less than 10% of produced power is by solar, wind and water.  My car has a lead acid battery that is 100% recyclable.

In the USA it is currently 18% and increasing all the time.

The strange thing is that Woodpecker seems to be arguing with himself. So far, almost every pro EV comment in this thread has been regarding performance and running cost. 

• Like 2

Millions of people eat at McDonald's every day. Doesn't mean for one second that their food isn't f'ng disgusting and absolutely horrible to one's health.....

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Monkey said:

The strange thing is that Woodpecker seems to be arguing with himself. So far, almost every pro EV comment in this thread has been regarding performance and running cost. 

Maintenance too. I used to have a Mercedes mechanic. It was like a grand every time I went to see him. Nice guy but I no longer have a mechanic and I don't miss not having a mechanic. I understand nothing lasts forever but the S has been the most reliable car I've had.

UK it's 40% of electricity produced by renewable sources, that is increasing, already on some days it's 100%.

That however doesn't mean I'll get an electric car next, I'm planning to get a new car in a couple of years as I retire. But the support network isn't there yet,  there's 35,000 charging stations in the UK increasing by 7000 a year.. but the are several different types of charger connector you can't use them all.. and on a long journey, you need to occupy a charger for some time.

Looking at a similar car to I have currently, we would have to leave with a full charge, require a full charge half way, and need a full charge when we get there. My parents live on a housing estate where parking is centralised, no chance of charging from the house...

The other problem is cost, a fully electric is  two to three times the price of its petrol equivalent, as I'll have retired, I'll be doing 13,000 miles a year less, the chances of recovering the cost with the saving in fuel 

3 hours ago, The Q said:

UK it's 40% of electricity produced by renewable sources, that is increasing, already on some days it's 100%.

That however doesn't mean I'll get an electric car next, I'm planning to get a new car in a couple of years as I retire. But the support network isn't there yet,  there's 35,000 charging stations in the UK increasing by 7000 a year.. but the are several different types of charger connector you can't use them all.. and on a long journey, you need to occupy a charger for some time.

Looking at a similar car to I have currently, we would have to leave with a full charge, require a full charge half way, and need a full charge when we get there. My parents live on a housing estate where parking is centralised, no chance of charging from the house...

The other problem is cost, a fully electric is  two to three times the price of its petrol equivalent, as I'll have retired, I'll be doing 13,000 miles a year less, the chances of recovering the cost with the saving in fuel 

That’s a good example of why I don’t like the people pushing for all electric mandates. They’re phenomenal cars, just not for everyone just yet. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Q said:

Hmmmmmm

I sure do like the look of Audi's EVs.

Starts at $99.9K and is 100X better looking than a Tesla Model S for the same $...

Looking forward to the MK II

Audi-RS_e-tron_GT-2022-1024-01.jpg

3 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Starts at $99.9K and is 100X better looking than a Tesla Model S for the same $...

Audi-RS_e-tron_GT-2022-1024-01.jpg

Looks like Darth Vader's condom.

But thanx for playing....:lol:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, The Q said:

I read a review that claimed a Tesla owner paid $1.5K in electricity versus an equivalent $10K of petrol over 3 years... Not an off setting ROI but when is a car an investment?

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

Looks like Darth Vader's condom.

But thanx for playing....:lol:

Vader's condom?

Are you OK, maybe off the meds...

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

That is one seriously ugly looking car but that aside, anyone who gets red brake calipers is an idiot. It's like a tonneau on a pavement princess 4x4 or any Dodge Magnum. It's just the mark of a douche.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

That is one seriously ugly looking car but that aside, anyone who gets red brake calipers is an idiot. It's like a tonneau on a truck or any Dodge Magnum. It's just the mark of a douche.

Like tonneau?

Brake caliper color is your tiny minded issue.....

A day in your life must be miserable!

During the first 300,000 miles the total combined maintenance and fuel costs of the Tesla Model S were $10,492, with a total of 12 days in the shop. Of these costs, $6,900 was scheduled maintenance and $3500 was headlight damage due to driving through deep water. Had this been an Mercedes S class, the scheduled routine maintenance and fuel would have been $86,000 ($52,000 maintenance and $36,000* fuel) with 112 days of servicing, or for a Lincoln Town Car $70k,000 ($28,000 maintenance and $42,000** fuel) with around 100 days of servicing.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/11/tesla-model-x-extreme-mileage-repair-maintenance/   

Scroll to the bottom of the second link for the maintenance log.   A new windshield, vandalized mirrors, and a LOT of tires    I’m thinking maybe the electric car has a future.     El Mariachi will replace a lot of points in 400,000 miles.   

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lark said:

During the first 300,000 miles the total combined maintenance and fuel costs of the Tesla Model S were $10,492, with a total of 12 days in the shop. Of these costs, $6,900 was scheduled maintenance and $3500 was headlight damage due to driving through deep water. Had this been an Mercedes S class, the scheduled routine maintenance and fuel would have been $86,000 ($52,000 maintenance and $36,000* fuel) with 112 days of servicing, or for a Lincoln Town Car $70k,000 ($28,000 maintenance and $42,000** fuel) with around 100 days of servicing.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/11/tesla-model-x-extreme-mileage-repair-maintenance/   

Scroll to the bottom of the second link for the maintenance log.   A new windshield, vandalized mirrors, and a LOT of tires    I’m thinking maybe the electric car has a future.     El Mariachi will replace a lot of points in 400,000 miles.   

In following Tesloop on YouTube because I was interested in and EV it should be noted Tesla was really good to them on warranty and    most of the other Tesla in there fleet required drive unit and battery replacements 

It should also be noted that only the S and X PREMIUM units our this generous while the 3 and Y battery’s our only covered 8 years / 100,000 miles to be good for 70% state of charge 

In real use they seem to be staying well above 70% over 100,000 but it’s still a large loss of range 

10 hours ago, Lark said:

Pertronix, Brah. Pertronix.....:lol:

On 4/21/2021 at 4:49 PM, Liquid said:

Couple of things.  No, none of the Teslas I've driven (which is all except the Y and the Roadster) are not set up as true sport car handling.  They don't have the tires or the suspension to do what my 911TT could do on curvy stuff.  And they don't advertise them as such.  However, I would say that the breaking is more than adequate and far better than you think.  Are the brakes spec'd the same as an Audi R9 or a Mclaren?  No, ofc not.  But with the immediate engine braking plus their decent OEM brakes - on anything but the extreme stopping requirements, they will get the job done.  I've ops tested it numerous times.  I like to go fast.  I think the thing with current Teslas is you got to know what it is capable of and what it is not.  Save for the $250K Roadster - It was never designed to be a supercar.  And the roadster set the Nurburgring record recently over $1M cars - so there is that.  

Where any Tesla excels is when you need that accel to get out of traffic, or past the idiot doing 35 in the 60 mile/hr lane and you have a narrow window with the semi coming the opposite direction.  Nothing will touch it for that stuff.  Other than that, it is a super well build car, that rides incredibly well around town and on long trips, is practically maintenance free and costs a fraction to run than a regular gas car.  And one that doesn't pollute the planet as a bonus.  

As I said earlier - I believe it is a matter of time where Tesla will come out with a true "affordable" full on sports car that will crush any super car out there at a fraction of the cost.  The Roadster does that now, but it is not an everyday driver by any stretch.  It wouldn't take much, IMHO, to take an existing chassis like the S or 3 and make it a true sports car - with the suspension, tires, and different body styling - ideally with a convertible option that would crush the competition.  They'd better get on it, because Porsche is going to beat them to that market soon if they don't.  I see an EV sports car in my future at some point.  I miss my 911TT for weekend fun.  

3 hours ago, tommays said:

In following Tesloop on YouTube because I was interested in and EV it should be noted Tesla was really good to them on warranty and    most of the other Tesla in there fleet required drive unit and battery replacements 

It should also be noted that only the S and X PREMIUM units our this generous while the 3 and Y battery’s our only covered 8 years / 100,000 miles to be good for 70% state of charge 

In real use they seem to be staying well above 70% over 100,000 but it’s still a large loss of range 

Good information.   Battery cost is one of my personal concerns.   I keep two vehicles of different capabilities and tend to put miles on each fairly slowly slowly with short trips around town and semi rural driving for one, boat hauling, snow and heavy lifting for the other.   The redundancy makes repairs and maintenance easy.   My GF puts 30,000 on a sedan in a year with a lot of city traffic.    Different vehicle choices are optimal for such different driving, ignoring the thrill of having the coolest car stuck in traffic.    Then there’s the concern of hauling a heavy or high drag boat up hills on occasional multi hour road trips.    Gasoline has an edge there.   Electric has lots of torque, but draws power under sustained load.    Recharge time becomes important.   

I’m used to well maintained American vehicles reliably lasting 15-17 years with my driving habits, even if bought used.   In the past I could update electronics easily as technology changed.    My prior boat hauler went from cassette to CD to USB to Bluetooth.    Modern cars limit us to the technology the year a vehicle is purchased, so longevity seems less useful.   Maybe the math is shifting from maintaining an old car to little maintenance and regular replacement.   Fuel standards have eroded the ability of a SUV to do heavy lifting at the same time.   They’re optimized to be big people haulers now, modern station wagons.

I’m not sure how I’d replace my vehicles if they were totaled.   Maybe I’d do without the 40 mpg focus and just run a giant carbon belching truck,   Of course they aren’t dog friendly and you need to buy a canoe rack.

edit, I think my math suggests buying a small electric hatchback and el mariachi’s old school suv, maybe an old Bronco restored with a modern engine, for the heavy lifting.    

Maybe I was raised wrong....BUT.....even when I was making beau-coo bux back in the daze and could write a $45k-plus check for a new whatever-the-fuk.....I've never had more fun with any of my previous used 30-ish 4x4's I've owned......that I never paid more than $4000 clams for. 

(And even more importantly? At least to me? I've only 'lost' money..... on one of them. In 46 years)......:lol:

FB_IMG_1583179544331.jpg

FB_IMG_1583420613824.jpg

FB_IMG_1583179691899.jpg

I’d said IH scout, but changed it to Bronco not wanting to pay the IH collectors’ premium for a vehicle intended to actually work.   That one needs a top and roof rack, for use in habitable parts of the world where there’s water in the air and on the ground.  

9 minutes ago, Lark said:

I’d said IH scout, but changed it to Bronco not wanting to pay the IH collectors’ premium for a vehicle intended to actually work.   That one needs a top and roof rack, for use in habitable parts of the world where there’s water in the air and on the ground.  

You DO know how these baby's work.......right?

<sigh>.....:lol:

FB_IMG_1583246935069.jpg

FB_IMG_1583246942985.jpg

FB_IMG_1584119105508.jpg

FB_IMG_1584118487314.jpg

On 4/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, Olsonist said:

Maintenance too. I used to have a Mercedes mechanic. It was like a grand every time I went to see him. Nice guy but I no longer have a mechanic and I don't miss not having a mechanic. I understand nothing lasts forever but the S has been the most reliable car I've had.

Yep.  And I don't miss having the scheduled maintenance BS of a new car.  That's often an entire day or half day out of your work day to take the car in for an oil change or usual warranty required MX or inspections every 5-10K miles.  My understanding was Tesla did the same type schedule in the beginning and then finally abandoned the concept because there was nothing to do and it was costing them money and time as well as their customer's time for no real good reason.  I haven't been to a gas station in a year.  I love driving by and seeing everyone queuing up to pump their gas in 115F heat or freezing cold miserable weather while the pump speakers blast their advertising BS at you on full volume.  

I just had the MCU replaced in my X this past week.  Went out to a completely dead car, no reboot, nothing.  Used the Tesla app to arrange for a tow..... they were there within 90 min, pulled it out of the garage onto a flatbed, they gave me a loaner model 3 and had it fixed by the next morning.  $0 cost to me.  The only other MX stuff I've ever had was a sticky power window on the drivers door.  Again, using the mobile app on my phone, scheduled for a Telsa mobile repair guy to come to my house and fix it on site.  $0 cost to me and I never had to leave my house.  Yeah, they're expensive cars to buy - but you get what you pay for.  To me....... time is $$.  So the amount of time I've saved by not having to go to the dealership for oil changes and stuff every month to 6 weeks, as well as the time not spent sitting in line for gas or pumping gas every few days is priceless.  

13 hours ago, Olsonist said:

That is one seriously ugly looking car

Nah, that Audi is not bad.  One of my only real beefs with Tesla is the body styling is kinda..... meh.  Very blah.  That is one area they could do better.  The S is probably the best looking car they have - but even that is a pretty plain jane sedan.  

33 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Maybe I was raised wrong....BUT.....even when I was making beau-coo bux back in the daze and could write a $45k-plus check for a new whatever-the-fuk.....I've never had more fun with any of my previous used 30-ish 4x4's I've owned......that I never paid more than $4000 clams for. 

(And even more importantly? At least to me? I've only 'lost' money..... on one of them. In 46 years)......:lol:

FB_IMG_1583179544331.jpg

FB_IMG_1583420613824.jpg

FB_IMG_1583179691899.jpg

DUDE!  I want one of those!!!

On 4/23/2021 at 2:35 AM, Monkey said:

That’s a good example of why I don’t like the people pushing for all electric mandates. They’re phenomenal cars, just not for everyone just yet. 

I got a hunch the mfgs, who appear to be whole-heartedly embracing this, are looking at how much cheaper it is to make an electric motor compared to an internal combustion engine, and how motors are longer lasting and easier to fix than engines. On top of that, with regenerative braking brakes last a lot longer.  Cheaper to make, less warrantee issues...  Electrics are more expensive now, but it seems a matter of production volume and lack of robust supplier competition. 

Call me cynical, but the only thing that gives a CEO a boner is $.    

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

You DO know how these baby's work.......right?

<sigh>.....:lol:

Sadly,  no.   I don’t remember seeing one in the wild. I saw a pick up holding up a barn a couple decades ago and a few at car shows.   I’ve only seen working IH grain trucks or the junk truck used by the roofer.   I think by my memory there were few on the road.    They didn’t have their own tv show like Dodge or movies like Volkswagen, so they escaped my childhood notice.   Look how few miles these survivors have.    They must have all been unreliable and shoved in a barn.   https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/international_harvester-scout-for-sale.  

I want a restomod with EFI and ignition capable of starting in the cold.  Add a transmission with more then three gears, automatic four wheel drive where you don’t have to crawl in the mud, antilock disk brakes and a radio that didn’t think FM was cool.   In other words, I want a modern vehicle that hauls shit but still fits in the garage.  The new Bronco only has a tow capacity of 3500 pounds.    I guess the Colorado or Ranger isn’t bad, as long as it doesn’t rain on my gear and nobody steals shit at a truck stop.  I wish they were shorter for a canoe. 

4 minutes ago, Lark said:

Sadly,  no.   I don’t remember seeing one in the wild. I saw a pick up holding up a barn a couple decades ago and a few at car shows.   I’ve only seen working IH grain trucks or the junk truck used by the roofer.   I think by my memory there were few on the road.    They didn’t have their own tv show like Dodge or movies like Volkswagen, so they escaped my childhood notice.   Look how few miles these survivors have.    They must have all been unreliable and shoved in a barn.   https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/international_harvester-scout-for-sale.  

I want a restomod with EFI and ignition capable of starting in the cold.  Add a transmission with more then three gears, automatic four wheel drive where you don’t have to crawl in the mud, antilock disk brakes and a radio that didn’t think FM was cool.   In other words, I want a modern vehicle that hauls shit but still fits in the garage.  The new Bronco only has a tow capacity of 3500 pounds.    I guess the Colorado or Ranger isn’t bad, as long as it doesn’t rain on my gear and nobody steals shit at a truck stop.  I wish they were shorter for a canoe. 

1). These people are absolutely frickin' in$ane.

2). But they $till manage to $ell a few.....:lol:

https://www.velocityrestorations.com/restorations/international-scout/

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

I got a hunch the mfgs, who appear to be whole-heartedly embracing this, are looking at how much cheaper it is to make an electric motor compared to an internal combustion engine, and how motors are longer lasting and easier to fix than engines. On top of that, with regenerative braking brakes last a lot longer.  Cheaper to make, less warrantee issues...  Electrics are more expensive now, but it seems a matter of production volume and lack of robust supplier competition. 

Call me cynical, but the only thing that gives a CEO a boner is $.    

Gas is fast to pump when making miles.  For most people most of the time, electric would work fine.   I think mechanics and parts stores are going to face a massive downsizing over the next decade or two.

16 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

1). These people are absolutely frickin' in$ane.

2). But they $till manage to $ell a few.....:lol:

https://www.velocityrestorations.com/restorations/international-scout/

Yea, exactly what I don’t want.    Oversize the tires, add a lift, and make sure you need a cherry picker to use the roof rack.   Massive engine so you can drink fuel while sitting in traffic or in line at the ramp.    It’s a muscle car on mudders.   

i do like the new Ford frames the Broncos get.   

B) , needs be unconcerned with deep "sand"

Snowtruck.thumb.jpg.0c7f9777fa62b6e8693a3438aa126e7b.jpg

, a little under 150 cu in, five gears annnd the traditional transfer case with  ~2.25 low.

Take a Knee hubs for those who appreciate the finer things in life,

, and the jacked em up  look of sneering at the "stuck"

, before I use the winch ta drag their ass out of the sand.

:P

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

ICEs vs EVs kind of reminds me of taxi companies vs Uber. Taxi companies absolutely suck ass and I do not miss my Mercedes mechanic one bit. Taxi companies could have evolved and ICEs did to a very limited degree. But in any case, kidz these days don't say, damn, I want to learn about distributor caps. They don't park their cars together on a Saturday morning at the high school and wrench. They do that to a degree with motorcycles.

Speaking of motorcycles, Teslas are superstable during Ludicrous because there's instantaneous feedback to/from both motors and all four wheels. EV bikes can provide enough torque to loop out but couldn't it also have feedback from a gyroscope to prevent that? That could provide much more stable acceleration for EV motorcycles. Is that a thing already or is it a bad idea for some reason?

There is all sorts of adjustable multi axis traction control on bikes these days.  Combined with ABS, wheelie and launch control.  Amazes me how fast the tech developed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

FB_IMG_1583590896005.jpg.8837b5b6f6def91eb0ed593ffa05fae3.jpgBest thousand dollar 4x4 I've ever owned......:lol:

It's a fuckin legend in it's own time, with that one small exception of the head gaskets. Tended to fail if allowed to overheated. Fix that and if you don't get a quarter million miles you've done something really really bad in a past life or something. 

16 minutes ago, Mark K said:

It's a fuckin legend in it's own time, with that one small exception of the head gaskets. Tended to fail if allowed to overheated. Fix that and if you don't get a quarter million miles you've done something really really bad in a past life or something. 

Bought her from my 'non-mechanic' bro down the street, 4 years ago. He owned her for 9 years before. All maintenance & TSB's performed at Gardena Toyota...including the h-g's. Toyota oil filters, air filters, ND parts where applicable. 5 speed manual Bruce Jenner made this girl SOOOO much better than the other one with the auto I once had.

Started a 3 month/4000 kilometer loop thru Baja Halloween before last.....and the only issue I had the entire time was a corroded dizzy wire which welded itself inside the cap. (Just say NO to aluminum and Mexican salt air)....:lol:

FB_IMG_1608506860925~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1608506896623~2.jpg

33 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Bought her from my 'non-mechanic' bro down the street, 4 years ago. He owned her for 9 years before. All maintenance & TSB's performed at Gardena Toyota...including the h-g's. Toyota oil filters, air filters, ND parts where applicable. 5 speed manual Bruce Jenner made this girl SOOOO much better than the other one with the auto I once had.

Started a 3 month/4000 kilometer loop thru Baja Halloween before last.....and the only issue I had the entire time was a corroded dizzy wire which welded itself inside the cap. (Just say NO to aluminum and Mexican salt air)....:lol:

FB_IMG_1608506860925~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1608506896623~2.jpg

Never owned one but one of our employees does. Got 300,000 on it and he says the fucker just won't die. My one encounter was about a year ago, his wifes ride was in the shop so she drove him in and got about a mile away and had a flat, I said what the hell so we hopped into my truck and drove over to switch it for her.  Spare hadn't been touched in a quarter century but it lowered smooth as snot with that winch system they put in the thing. As if someone gave a fuck, it was.   

Heard the front cv boots have to be replaced every so often though. Let that go and corrosion will eat them up, and the switch is a bitch. He buys the entire assembly rather than attempt to hammer it all apart, says the extra hundred and a half is more than worth it. 

3 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Never owned one but one of our employees does. Got 300,000 on it and he says the fucker just won't die. My one encounter was about a year ago, his wifes ride was in the shop so she drove him in and got about a mile away and had a flat, I said what the hell so we hopped into my truck and drove over to switch it for her.  Spare hadn't been touched in a quarter century but it lowered smooth as snot with that winch system they put in the thing. As if someone gave a fuck, it was.   

Toyota....simply rocks. Three years ago I punched in my VIN into their website.....and discovered that my '91 was still eligible for free replacement valve thingy on the a/c system. I never use a/c and couldn't care less....but just for the hell of it I called one the three San Diego area Toyota dealers and asked him about it.

'Sure, call the front desk and make an appointment and we can get her done in about five days later'.

This is for a 28 y/old truck with 222k on the clock....and at least 3 previous owners.

Like I said.....Toyota fuking rocks....

2 hours ago, Mark K said:

It's a simple matter to make it refuse to move when the customer is late with a payment.    

I'm 100% sure they can do that right now.  

Took my first ever rife in a Tesla today.  Bored rich guy on the northern beaches took us to the Royal Motor Yacht Club for lunch in his Uber Tesla S.  I liked it a lot. We talked about recharging in remote areas, but I don't think he appreciated what we were talking about when we mentioned that, in remote areas, there may be places where you can recharge, but you might not want to stay for the night.  An EV is not in my immediate future.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, Mark K said:

Heard the front cv boots have to be replaced every so often though. Let that go and corrosion will eat them up, and the switch is a bitch. He buys the entire assembly rather than attempt to hammer it all apart, says the extra hundred and a half is more than worth it. 

Replacing the starter is pretty un-fun as well......:lol:

14 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Took my first ever rife in a Tesla today.  Bored rich guy on the northern beaches took us to the Royal Motor Yacht Club for lunch in his Uber Tesla S.  I liked it a lot. We talked about recharging in remote areas, but I don't think he appreciated what we were talking about when we mentioned that, in remote areas, there may be places where you can recharge, but you might not want to stay for the night.  An EV is not in my immediate future.

It definitely has it's limitations.  There are some remote areas in the High desert that I would like to hunt that are too far away for me to get to and back in an EV.  But within it's design specs and everyday uses - I believe they are unbeatable.  

RV and L2 hookups extend the coverage somewhat. Getting a CHAdeMO adapter makes sense in NV but in civilization, anywhere there's a CHAdeMO, there's Superchargers and Destination Tesla chargers. Plugshare is useful because it gives station contact info and recent charging history. You can drive Nevada 50 with CHAdeMO and RV charging.