Back in June 2016 I started a thread about building my new tender(that thread now being archived). She was launched early September 2016 about 2 weeks prior to setting off on our first major cruise on our biplane rigged catamaran ‘Cactus Island’. Over the next few months I will fill you in, for those who are interested, on some of our adventures and the completion of the building of ‘Tassie’ our tender. The name ‘Tassie’ being Aussie slang for Tasmania which we thought was appropriate seeing she hangs off the arse end of ‘Cactus Island’ (being the name given to Australia by a satirical radio show many moons ago).       A couple of shots from the original thread.

38ECBF31-0B51-4DE0-9471-66E082DBF83A.png

9E13053E-C7CF-4FA7-B231-3C193EAB5BF1.png

• Like 2

Here’s a couple of photos(one showing Tassie hanging from the davits)taken just before leaving on our cruise September 2016. At this stage Tassie was only a power cat as I ran out of time getting her rigs, sails etc finished, I took all the gear along with us to get her sailing thinking that I would finish her during our cruise(a 14 month affair to Tahiti and back from Qld,Australia) That didn’t happen but is now coming along fine. 

AD1B1372-A5C8-421E-8410-7C01995D1281.png

• Like 3

Me and my little baby! More photos and stories coming soon.

14F55401-F547-40B0-93BF-9F72E9A9ABC5.png

• Like 4
1 hour ago, he b gb said:

Me and my little baby! More photos and stories coming soon.

14F55401-F547-40B0-93BF-9F72E9A9ABC5.png

Impressive work and nice looking ! How does she weight ? Obviously a big boat tender !

1 hour ago, Sidecar said:

Very clever...... Did you put any carbon on the cross beams?

A bi plane rig for the tender as well?

1 hour ago, Sidecar said:

Very clever...... Did you put any carbon on the cross beams?

A bi plane rig for the tender as well?

Thanks Sidecar,  the cross beams have carbon unis on the under side, on the top side I had some issues with compression where the folding pivot points were and ended up glueing 5mm x 40mm ally spanning the pivots 200mm each way and glassing over, this seems to be working well. Yeah, I’m also in the process of finishing the biplane rigs, photos etc coming soon!

^^Hit the expand to see my reply, don’t know wtf happened there:blink:

12 minutes ago, patzefran said:

Impressive work and nice looking ! How does she weight ? Obviously a big boat tender !

Thanks pat, weighs 55kg in those photos but putting on weight with rigs and foils which I’m in the process of making. Cactus Island is 8.5mtrs wide so Tassie fits easily between the hulls.

Foil taking shape, I’ve converted a tinny trailer for her. I unfold her on the trailer then lower her to trailer height then slide it into the water.

9B54416E-2072-4C7E-8127-EEE6639E0F54.png

Foils nearing completion, upper strut on foil is also an asymmetric lifting foil. Foil is yet to have lever attached above pivot.

E1C7EDEC-5FBA-4DCA-9661-09B440143B64.png

• Like 1

You seem to know how to make unusual things work, so I'm looking forward to following this thread.

How was the displacement performance? is that a Yamaha 2 hp 2 stroke? I want one of those bad. Can't buy them here. I can imagine that thing ripping right along with that tiny motor.

What will you power it with for foiling? I've got a smart friend who has spent a lot of time getting an electric powered Hobie 18 to foil and it's been a steep learning curve for him.

Fascinating - Good on You!

Are the beams unequal lengths to "nest" the folded hulls or do you simply tilt the pod with offset lifting points?

17 hours ago, bushsailor said:

That looks great.

Well done, the cat looks good too?

What is its story?

Thanks @bushsailor, I assume you’re asking about Cactus? I got obsessed during the building of team Phillips all those years ago and decided that I would use the biplane rigs on my next cruising cat. I have a mate ( Trev Brown) who bought one of my previous boats( Pork Chop) and has sailed with you a fair bit (around New Cal race on your boat and I think Syd Hob on Maserati) He may be able to fill you in about Cactus next time you chat with him. I’m planning on writing a bit more about Cactus on this thread as I get the time. 

17 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

You seem to know how to make unusual things work, so I'm looking forward to following this thread.

How was the displacement performance? is that a Yamaha 2 hp 2 stroke? I want one of those bad. Can't buy them here. I can imagine that thing ripping right along with that tiny motor.

What will you power it with for foiling? I've got a smart friend who has spent a lot of time getting an electric powered Hobie 18 to foil and it's been a steep learning curve for him.

Thanks, yeah I admit that I enjoy mucking around with boats and experimenting outside the square. Tassie sure does zip around with her 2 stroke 2hp motor, I haven’t checked speed with GPS but I’m pretty sure it would be at least 15kts. She squats a little but last week I tried her with the rudder t foil and the transoms now sit just above the water so maybe a bit faster now. I’ve heard that the Yamaha 2 can be simply hotted up, anyone out there know how? I am also currently building 2 rigs and was never really thinking of it being a power foiler, mind you the electric foiling Hobie sounds very interesting, any details?

Thanks Boardhead, no, the beams are symmetrical. The pod is slightly canted because the forward hulls mast socket stub slots into a socket in the aft beam of Cactus locating it and the aft hull just sags down a bit. I plan on raising the davits a few inches so that the aft hull will settle evenly and put even strain on the lifting bridles on the pod. Have I totally confused you :wacko:?

Orange foils, clinically proven to increase speed by 2.78%.:rolleyes:

B61A136C-EEFB-4B92-8F8F-F8664BCF986F.jpeg

EE0CA21C-EBD3-434B-AAF0-9E153D2FFCE9.jpeg

FD5B703F-AB82-4DFA-AD38-1165A0E8D6DA.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, he b gb said:

Thanks @bushsailor, I assume you’re asking about Cactus? I got obsessed during the building of team Phillips all those years ago and decided that I would use the biplane rigs on my next cruising cat. I have a mate ( Trev Brown) who bought one of my previous boats( Pork Chop) and has sailed with you a fair bit (around New Cal race on your boat and I think Syd Hob on Maserati) He may be able to fill you in about Cactus next time you chat with him. I’m planning on writing a bit more about Cactus on this thread as I get the time. 

Ha,

Small world this sailing!!!!

He is coming out this weekend.

Re the 2hp I believe you can get a 4hp prop which has a lower pitch to go faster, but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

These motors have fixed ignition timing whereas the larger motors vary their timing with the throttle. 

It would help to try and advance the timing.

The points don't let you do this easily so try "over" gapping them.

I run mine a couple of thou over but you could try more.

Watch out for the water pump. The impeller runs in a stainless sleeve which slots into the gearbox casing. Corrosion builds up and crushes it and creates a lot of friction with the impeller.  You'll feel the pull start being stiff.

I've tidied up the exhaust port a bit but didn't want to go to far without knowing what I'm doing. You can end up with more power in one part of the rev range but running rough everywhere else.

• Like 1

Maybe stick with the stock Yammy so you don’t trash it and focus on the motor/sailing potential.

Instant response from the motor would aid lift off and you won’t need much from the sails for the 2 hp to get you flying. Shut down the motor once you are up and you can dial it back in as needed with a bit of trickery on the tilt/shut down - how cool would a spring loaded, trigger release re- start be!

Gassing up the motor, reliably, involves more revs at the demise of the drive train and water pump or boring it for more capacity, new higher pitch prop and still, inevitably, overloading the drive train. Either way gas consumption goes up and I bet you don’t want a heavier motor and more gas guzzling from upsizing.

Your explanation of the storage/hull nesting makes perfect sense using the mast base strong point for double duty and tilting the pod does nest the hulls without resorting to unequal length beams.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, he b gb said:

I’ve heard that the Yamaha 2 can be simply hotted up, anyone out there know how? 

It runs on low octane fuel so it's a low compression engine in a mild state (safe) tune so quite a few options.

Without pulling it all apart last one i saw had a huge bolt head holding butterfly down in carb you could replace that with something lower profile or grind bolt head down to reduce inlet restriction to let a little more air in.

Worn rings reduce power with 2 strokes so make sure ring end gaps are tight as blow by with 2 strokes dilutes next intake charge with exhaust gas. Have a look at piston if it's black below piston rings that is caused by blow by.

With piston port engines the piston controls intake timing so you could grind 1 mm from piston skirt on intake port side to give more duration with intake to improve top end power it works like putting a cam with more duration on a 4 stroke. Since the oil is in the fuel chamfer bottom of piston skirt to make it easier for fuel/oil to go between piston and bore. Since 2 strokes don't need oil to stay on bore like a 4 stroke it's in the fuel hone it to a chrome finish instead of cross hatch which gives better tolerances and no need to run it in.

Increasing compression would  be another thing you could do might need to machine head or find a thinner head gasket don't go less than 1 mm on squish clearance. This would probably result in needing higher octane fuel to keep things safe.

I wouldn't port the engine that will result in slower air velocity which isn't good maybe polish exhaust port or even get it ceramic coated if you want engine to run cooler. You could polish intake port it's not like a 4 stroke where being a bit rough helps with fuel atomisation it gets pumped through crankcase then transfer ports before entering combustion chamber don't make it bigger leave transfer ports as is.

It will have safe ignition timing for shit fuel if you get a K type thermocouple with washer under spark plug you could dial in more advance don't let it go over 200 deg C if it's around 180-190 deg C at full throttle i would be happy with that. This will then require premium fuel i would probably tune it for 95 octane as fuel goes off with time so old 98 sitting in a servo might only be like 95.

I miss the smell of castor/synthetic oil and a rotary valve 2 stroke screaming at 18,000 rpm

• Like 3

I do find the idea of foiling motor sailing intriguing.  With the motor (be it electric or gas) able to get the boat onto the foils the rig can be sized/optimised for apparent wind sailing and freed from the need to rapidly and radically reconfigure from max power to low drag as the boat pops up and accelerates.

• Like 1

Thanks to all above for the tips on the outboard, I will tinker with it after finishing the rigs and sails. Last week I did a tow test on the foils. I have turnbuckles on spectra lines to fine tune the AoA and made the mistake of tightening the locknuts and then forgetting to bring a spinner to adjust them.(note that the turnbuckles are only used to equalise both foils to zero degrees). Anyway after repeated runs adjusting the AoA by shortening and lengthening the spectra lines with knots Tassie came up out of the water easily albeit with a few out of control moments!! Next tow test I will have the fine tuning better sorted and will test my method of AoA adjustment while under way.

2A63D73C-9763-43DF-A2AD-C364D858CD84.png

• Like 6

Maybe It’s better off without a novice at the helm,Check out the radical helm work in the first photo! After analysing the photos of the test I’ve come to a couple of conclusions, the helm is so light that I’m thinking of putting some bungee cords on the tiller and also using a longer towline as the foil in the prop wash as the photos show the propwash foil rising sooner.

42BBC1FD-459E-48DC-BB1A-150D782EE0CF.png

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Been busy finalising my rigs, they are two 5.5 mtr sailboard masts. I have beefed them up in the lower sections and fitted spreaders (mainly to get 300mm of prebend to suit the sailboard sails as I’m not using booms). If you’re wondering what the curved fitting sitting on the trailer is, it’s a boomkin to sheet the mainsails. The second photo is an arty farty shot of ‘Tassie’ in our favourite anchorage in Kiritimati (Christmas Island)

E0900CCD-344B-4028-AD03-13385BDC23FA.jpeg

209E2FCA-3717-4EC0-9232-B53B7C475826.png

• Like 2

I'm not sure how i missed this but damn you do good work Gerald .... 
For those that don't know, @he b gb is the creator of the famous Barrink Pod cats... Pork Chop and Nusa Dua .... I've been abscessed with ND since i saw this blow up pick on Peter Gows (Simply the Best) lounge room wall many years ago

Keep us updated on this cool foiler

On 4/22/2021 at 8:32 AM, he b gb said:

I'm not sure he sailed on Maserati...?  I've crewed on it since Giovani sold it to J C in Sydney .....

On 4/22/2021 at 1:52 PM, bushsailor said:

Ha,

Small world this sailing!!!!

He is coming out this weekend.

Re the 2hp I believe you can get a 4hp prop which has a lower pitch to go faster, but I may be wrong.

Yes this sailing thing is a small world

Barrink cat.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks heaps Pil, I’m just another multi obsessed sailor having fun mucking around with boats, I hope your abscess heals soon :P. I thought my friend said he sailed on Maserati with @bushsailor ,maybe it was when Giovanni owned it? Maybe he will see this and set things straight. Would be great to have a beer with you someday.

• Like 1

^^ Ps. It was Maserati the Volvo 70, not the mod70.

Just curious; She is a "Tender" ... What boat might That Be?

Hi @2flit, Tassie folds up and hangs from davits of Cactus Islands aft beam.

EAB0D78E-CB06-4D6A-97FE-2A2E8DA38C80.png

• Like 8

Had a great day today, finally put a sail on one of the rigs and slipped it into its socket. I was very happy with how my ideas worked out even though I have to lengthen the masts by 100 mm to get luff tension(I was aware that this might be necessary but thought I might get away without the extension). The spreaders were a success for getting the prebend and they are easily removed to straighten the mast so I can furl the sail by rotating the mast. The sails are just old sailboard sails which I’ve straightened the roach and removed the battens(for furling). I will see how they perform before coughing up the bucks for getting new ones made.

C9EC60C4-D3DF-4A51-AF75-2A8059CAAC32.png

9 hours ago, he b gb said:

I'm glad I asked because that just one gorgeous catamaran.... Thanks for the answer, just looking at her raises my spirits

Cheers 2flit, that photo was taken at Fanning Island in 2017, it’s one of my favourites. We spent 4 months in Kiritimati sitting out the cyclone season and did a side trip to Fanning which was only a overnighter away. In hindsight we should have spent the 4 months there as it is an awesome place!

• Like 3
8 hours ago, he b gb said:

Had a great day today, finally put a sail on one of the rigs and slipped it into its socket. I was very happy with how my ideas worked out even though I have to lengthen the masts by 100 mm to get luff tension(I was aware that this might be necessary but thought I might get away without the extension). The spreaders were a success for getting the prebend and they are easily removed to straighten the mast so I can furl the sail by rotating the mast. The sails are just old sailboard sails which I’ve straightened the roach and removed the battens(for furling). I will see how they perform before coughing up the bucks for getting new ones made.

Are the spreaders right where the boom should be?

13 hours ago, he b gb said:

Sweet 80's Gaastra sail!

5 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Are the spreaders right where the boom should be?

Yep

With a typical windsurfing rig you can induce all the required mast bend using a combination of downhaul and batten tension only. Outhaul is typically practically slack. If you induce and hold bend with spreaders, then the rig will not respond to gusts correctly as it will be dumping the leach too early.

Also, the windsurfer mast is not designed to take the cantilever loads from the rig just at the base, so you may want to reinforce the lower mast section to compensate if you aren't going to stay it at boom height.

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, and I'm really loving the tender design!

On 4/19/2021 at 9:46 AM, he b gb said:

Thanks pat, weighs 55kg in those photos but putting on weight with rigs and foils which I’m in the process of making. Cactus Island is 8.5mtrs wide so Tassie fits easily between the hulls.

50 kg is the minimum rated weight for a 14' Paper Tiger platform, including daggerboards and rudders. The minimum, completely rigged weight achieved for a PT  is 73 kg.  My homebuilt 4 mm plywood PT platform is at least 60 kg, so you are on the lightweight side for a ply building.

Thanks for your pointers @hump101 In one of my earlier posts I stated that I have beefed up the lower sections of the sailboard masts. Also regarding the prebend in the rig, I stated in an earlier post that my sails will be battenless (I have also totally removed the roach) to facilitate furling the sail around the mast when not sailing(as shown in one of the photos in an earlier post). I actually tried to get the required prebend using dowhaul (without battens) and found it to be very hard to achieve without a serious purchase set up. This may be due to the fact that I’ve stiffened the lower mast sections. 
I would be interested to hear your explanation regards the dumping of the leech in gusts due to the spreaders? My large cat has freestanding rigs with a similar diamond setup and does not have this issue.            Cheers,Gerald.

2 hours ago, he b gb said:

Thanks for your pointers @hump101 In one of my earlier posts I stated that I have beefed up the lower sections of the sailboard masts. Also regarding the prebend in the rig, I stated in an earlier post that my sails will be battenless (I have also totally removed the roach) to facilitate furling the sail around the mast when not sailing(as shown in one of the photos in an earlier post). I actually tried to get the required prebend using dowhaul (without battens) and found it to be very hard to achieve without a serious purchase set up. This may be due to the fact that I’ve stiffened the lower mast sections. 
I would be interested to hear your explanation regards the dumping of the leech in gusts due to the spreaders? My large cat has freestanding rigs with a similar diamond setup and does not have this issue.            Cheers,Gerald.

My apologies, I had missed the earlier posts about battenless sails for reefing and the mast reinforcement.

I use a 6:1 downhaul, and then need to use my leg strength to pull on enough force. However, without battens you would still end up with a lot of vertical wrinkles with downhaul only, so your spreaders will eliminate this.

The mechanism for leech control of the fully battened sail is that the leech is kepted cupped in the "correct" shape by tension forces created by prebending the mast through the sail using downhaul. When wind overloads the sail, it bends the mast further and the leech will then be dumped by deforming to leeward, reducing or eliminating the angle of attack of that portion of the sail. This works for stayed and unstayed rigs, with and without spreaders and mast pre-bend, provided the sail is correctly cut to match the mast characteristics. I suspect your large cat sails are correctly matched to the mast. My comment was regarding using windsurfing sails that are cut to induce the mast prebend itself. If this is the case, then using spreaders will result in a sail that does not have the design tension in it, and hence poor shape as the leech will fall away at lower windspeeds. However, this is all irrelevant for a battenless sail cut to match the prebend, so I should have read more of the thread before commenting.......

That’s cool hump, I encourage any tips or criticism. I don’t have any preconceptions that Tassie will be a record breaking speed demon but hopefully more of a fun toy for an old fart like me. I’m hoping that she’ll be a gentleman’s’ foiler!

• Like 1

Hi Zonker, I’ve been wondering how long it would take for someone to ask this question ;).

There is a lever above the foil pivot with a spectra line with a turnbuckle heading to a fuse on the aft beam, (the fuse being so the foil will kick back if I hit bottom) This is used to set the angle of attack to zero. From this line another line is attached to deflect it downwards therefore increasing the AoA without much force being needed. The second line will be led aft to be moved either by the helmsman moving it slightly outboard with their butt (or by using a foot, I haven’t decided which method to use as yet). I’m banking on not having to do much hiking on’Tassie’ due to her low centre of effort but if hiking is necessary I will deflect the line by foot. I’ll post photos of the system when I finalise the setup.

Ps. The maximum AoA will be set so it can’t be more than a few degrees.^^

Yeah good idea that. I think the I-14 community has settled on a twist control on the end of the tiller.  Helps that your hand is already there and hands I think are better at sensitive adjustments than butts or feets.

Probably with a bit of friction so as you tack the AOA doesn't change. 

Best of luck.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:07 AM, Liquid said:

Sweet 80's Gaastra sail!

Ha, the other one is a 80’s Devries sail !;)

On 5/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, patzefran said:

50 kg is the minimum rated weight for a 14' Paper Tiger platform, including daggerboards and rudders. The minimum, completely rigged weight achieved for a PT  is 73 kg.  My homebuilt 4 mm plywood PT platform is at least 60 kg, so you are on the lightweight side for a ply building.

I expect the final sailing weight to be around 90kg.

4 hours ago, he b gb said:

Ha, the other one is a 80’s Devries sail !;)

Is that also an 80's 100% fiberglass, 20lb super soft mast?

On 5/19/2021 at 4:23 PM, he b gb said:

Damn, I love your style.  All your work?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 12:29 PM, Liquid said:

Is that also an 80's 100% fiberglass, 20lb super soft mast?

One mast is carbon and the other is glass, they both take about the same amount of force to get the prebend. I acquired the rigs and sails separately so have no idea if it’s a 80’s mast.If I need to reduce sail I will furl the glass mast sail first. These masts and sails virtually cost me nothing besides my labour, if my ideas work I’ll invest in new rigs and sails.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:29 AM, BeatmongerZ said:

Damn, I love your style.  All your work?

Thanks Beat, yeh, all my own work.

14 hours ago, Jim Caldwell said:

Do you have a link to your build for Tassie? I am look to build one similar but 18" in foam and carbon.

Hi Jim, I started a thread on Tassie back in 2016 but the thread has been archived. I’m not sure how you can browse that  but there is not much info in it anyway and only a few photos like the ones at the start of this thread. A foam and carbon 18’ Tassie would be awesome!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been quiet on the Tassie front for the last week as we are moving house. Just before the moving started I finally got the rigs and sails finished so within a week or two I shall have my first sail on her. After getting that sorted I will attempt to foil her under sail. At the start of this thread I mentioned that I would post some stories of our cruise to Tahiti and back so here is one that might be of interest to some of you.

We (myself and 3mates left Australia at the end of September 2016 with the intention of getting to Kiritimati (an island just north of the equator halfway between Tahiti and Hawaii) before the cyclone season. I would spend the rest of the season there and my wife would join me there at the end of March 2017 for the final wind ward leg to Tahiti giving me 4 months to surf my brains out! The waves there are quite good.

Anyway, before heading there I had heard stories(might have been a thread on SA)about a very cool 60’ Kiwi catamaran called ‘Stratosphere’ which was wrecked there nearly 40 years ago. I really wanted to see if we could find the wreckage so we set out across the lagoon in search to the northwestern end of the lagoon to a village named Poland (no bullshit, that’s it’s name and the other villages are named London, Banana and also one now deserted called Paris) which we heard was close to where ‘Stratosphere’ floundered. The lagoon on Kiritimati(the largest atoll in the world) is very large and shallow and after much  sign language and drawings in the sand with the chief of Poland we got the locals to guide us to where the boat was on the ocean side a few klms from their village. They also informed us that we were the first yacht to ever anchor in the lagoon adjacent to their village.

Here’s some photos of Stratosphere.

99CD7429-58BB-45E6-B86A-56188C76CD35.png

• Like 2

This is another yacht that came to grief on Kiritimati only a year or two before we were there. It’s set up like a monument in front of a locals home at London , I can’t work out why it’s there as it’s not used for living in and would have been a major job to move. Looks like it’s pretty new and in ok condition until you look at the other side of which most is missing!  Apparently they were caught out anchored out side the lagoon and a strong westerly blew them ashore. The lagoon is definitely multihulls only.

875BC655-19F1-4274-88EA-8863BEEEA73D.png

• Like 1

Never knew that "Stratosphere" came to grief upon a reef. Good on you for finding her and telling us about it. I have tasked myself with finding the graves of relatives of friends in the South pacific, but never the graves of boats.

I got a ride on an electric hydrofoil based on a Hobie 18 two days ago. Pretty amazing. Take-off is like taking off on an airplane. Goes 12 knots with the equivalent of 9 hp and can carry two with a payload and has a full canopy.

Stratosphere still looked structurally intact in the pictures, I guess the hull bottoms were ground away.

Looks like the tropical sun is reducing her to dust as the resin degrades - needs a bit more than a splash of paint!

Thanks for sharing.

For those who don’t know of her this is her in happier days. A truly awesome cat for its day designed by kiwi artist David Barker over 40years ago!

34A92354-5841-49AF-8F49-012607921066.png

• Like 2

And her sister - Sundreamer (lifted from her facebook page), last I heard she was getting a 5m taller carbon mast when c19 got in the way. Interesting method of construction - something like all the sections of the hull came from the same mold. 

No photo description available.

Sorry for the drift, but you started it;)

• Like 1

Beautiful tender.  Not only in your design, the workmanship is awesome.  It looks like you’ve mounted the outboard off to port from the pod.  I’d love to see a pic of how it’s mounted.  Is the lower unit above the anti-ventilation plate protected from water flow?  Do you get any water riding up the lower unit?

Rob

11 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

And her sister - Sundreamer (lifted from her facebook page), last I heard she was getting a 5m taller carbon mast when c19 got in the way. Interesting method of construction - something like all the sections of the hull came from the same mold. 

No photo description available.

Sorry for the drift, but you started it;)

Not really drift as in my first post I said that I would include snippets about our cruise. I enjoy and encourage posts like yours dealing with awesome historical multis such as Stratosphere and Sundreamer. I also remember reading that they were built using one section of mould, including the beams! Cheers,Gerald.

• Like 1

Thanks jolly mon, when I first tested her under power there was a lot of cavitation happening so I made anti ventilation foils and fitted them to the existing plates. This solved the cavitation issue but in some chop waves would hit the plate that the outboard clamps onto slowing her down and splashing in to the pod, this was fixed by fitting deflection plates under. There is some drag coming from the leg between there and the water surface and some water does rise up the shaft but it’s not too bad as it’s only a 2hp motor. I am thinking about making a fairing on the shaft though. 

26B91265-5D9E-4A62-B0C3-C11A58E8DB14.png

Russel, 746 watts = 1hp x 9 = 6714 watts. It must be a heavy battery. Did you see what he was using?

The other choice is the manufactures are using the 3 times factor, which is NOT true, you can't fool Physics. It  would equal to about 3 HP, the low end TQ. is about 3 times a Gas Motor which is probably where the marketing hype got started

On 5/23/2021 at 10:14 AM, Zonker said:

Yeah good idea that. I think the I-14 community has settled on a twist control on the end of the tiller.  Helps that your hand is already there and hands I think are better at sensitive adjustments than butts or feets.

Probably with a bit of friction so as you tack the AOA doesn't change. 

Best of luck.

Thanks Zonker, I was talking about the main foils, I don’t know about the I-14 but the moths use a twist control on the tiller to control the rudder t foils AOA, I am working on another method of controlling my rudder foil, seems like a lot of foilers use a ‘set and forget’ system for the rudder foil depending on conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I did find your 2016 build but you are right, not much else there. I have a cat that foils with wands and it works very well. Of course it only 48" x 48" and currently requires 9 knots of wind because the crossbeams are too heavy. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished moving house and got out on the water for Tassies first sail a couple of days ago. I went to Lake Cootharaba on the Noosa river as during the week this is a quiet place with a lot of room although quite shallow which didn’t worry me too much as I wasn’t trying out the foils (only the rudder “T” foil). I had a few jobs on the still to do list so I didn’t get out on the water till around 2pm which worked out fine as the wind dropped from 20 kts in the morning to around 5 to 10 by sailing time, far more sensible for a boats first sail. 
                I must admit that things didn’t go smoothly to start with, in the light fluky air close to shore with the rudder half down I found myself doing out of control donuts, after awhile I realised that by sheeting on too hard the masts bent back far enough for the centre of effort to move aft enough too overpower the small amount of rudder in the water, by easing the sheets I regained enough control to get into deeper water to fully lower the rudder. 
                  After this I was very happy with the speeds I was achieving and power the two rigs (120sq feet total) were producing, a fair bit of spray coming off the leeward hull and found myself moving aft and outboard, something I didn’t expect in the relatively light airs. As I wanted to keep the first sail incognito(in case of total fuck up) I didn’t have anyone filming so no vids yet but I did get some shots of her on the beach which will have to do for now. Sailing shots and vids coming soon.

A6E1F2A4-E0B3-4077-8A28-01D7AE142B63.png

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

2nd sail a couple of days ago, another beautiful day on Lake Cootharaba with very light airs to start with increasing  to 5 to 8kts. After the first sail I made some basic forestays out of 3mm spectra that attached to hoops just above the spreaders to allow rig rotation and stop the rigs from bending aft which was moving the COE too far aft. This has improved ‘Tassies’ windward performance and tacking ability greatly. I brought my GoPro and gps this time, 9.5 kts was my top speed which I was quite happy with. I managed to get some footage which I will soon upload to YouTube as soon as I do some basic editing. Until then here is a link to a video I’ve had for a while of ‘Tassie’ surfing behind ‘Cactus Island’.   https://youtu.be/IBVszuox9cg  

(Anybody who knows how feel free to embed this video, thanks)

I really suck at this stuff, I just found it by googling ‘cactus Island towing tassie’ could someone out there get this working, thanks, Gerald.