Yacht Clubs for Active Duty Members

Are there any Yacht Clubs in the US that offer membership for Active Duty branches? For instance, if you are in the area for a number of years and would like to join, but do not know where you will be stationed next? It would be tough to pay for initiation, and then have to leave on account of orders.

At our club you can become a crew member for $40 per year and gain access to all events and facilities. 

No initiation fee for that. 

And I am sure we could work out a deal for you to use one of our training boats. 

We also have lower initiation and members fees for the under thirty crowd - $ 270 for initiation and $ 270 annual 

I'll wager that many clubs offer similar arrangements. 

Good luck !! 

I was a member of the Navy Sailing Association when I was a Navy Brat in High School. Best thing that ever happened to me! My Dad would drop me off on his way to the ship when it was in port in Long Beach and I got the best into to sailing possible. My instructor/mentor was Henry Sprague and he was top dog in the US Sailing world at the time. I went though every level of qualification there and was entitled to check out a Coronado 25 for weekend trips to Catalina and I think paid $20 for the checkout. Best part was to invite my Dad to come sail to Catalina and when we arrived early on Sat morning the old Navy Chief who more or less ran things almost didn't recognize my Dad out of uniform but was aware that he was a Command in rank and said to him 'Good morning Commander, welcome to the Club.'

My Dad said that he was there to sail to Catalina and the old chief said, 'Oh, you must be going as a guest of your Son...'

I was so proud of my advancement through their well thought out instruction and qualification standards. 

A year of sailing there and when my Dad was transfered to San Diego I just showed my NSA card and had even a better selection of boats on which to sail in Coronado. The club there had gotten a couple of the old wooden Luders 44 yawls when the Naval Academy started getting the newer fiberglass model. I wanted to get involved with the Yawls and start crewing on them but a kid slightly older than me who had an extended 'dependent' status while in college told me to forget sailing with the old farts and join the Flying Dutchman fleet. He pointed to an older neglected FD and told me that if I worked on it and got it back in competitive shape it may as well be 'my' boat. I crewed for him (he was FD Fleet Capt) and did a full upgrade on the old boat and was soon helming it in the West Coast Olympic classes regattas against guy like Lowell North and Carl Eichenlaub! What a fine time to be a high school kid!

This was the era

1972 Olympic Games. Munich, West Germany. Yachting. Flying Dutchman Class. Great Britain's Rodney Patterson and Chris Davies (K263) in action to win the gold medal. : News Photo

• Like 5

Dana Point Yacht Clubs Bylaws as follows:

8. Military Member

8.1 Eligibility – Active duty members of any branch of the military services stationed within the Southern California Yachting Association area and who meet the boating interest qualifications for Equity Members may become Military Members.

8.2 Rights and Privileges – A Military Member shall have all rights and privileges of the Club except the right to vote, transfer membership, hold elected office or share in the assets of the Club. The spouse and children of the Military Member may continue to enjoy Club privileges during the deployment of the Military Member.

8.3 Dues and Fees – A Military Member shall pay no initiation membership fee, and all of their dues shall apply to the full initial membership fee to be paid at the time of conversion to Equity Membership. Military Members shall pay fifty percent (50%) of the Equity dues. Military Members shall pay no dues during the period of their deployment. Military Members shall pay no assessments.

8.4 Conversion – A record shall be established in the name of the Military Member for the purpose of recording the portion of dues paid toward the required conversion fee.

A Military Member may convert to an Equity Membership owned by the Club, under procedures to be established by the Board. An Equity Membership may also be purchased from a current Equity Member. DPYC Bylaws (revised 2020-01-01) Page 6 of 27 The funds accumulated in the Military Member’s account may be used for payment if purchasing a Club owned membership. Any excess funds in the reserve account at time of conversion shall be forfeited.

www.dpyc.org

Waikiki Yacht Club has a active military membership with discounted initiation fee.  It is for a Regular Membership and has all rights  except holding office.  Upon separation or retirement they can convert to other types of membership. .    

I'm not positive but I'm guessing the majority of US Yacht clubs have an active duty membership program especially those located near military installations.  I know St. Francis YC and SDYC both have military membership programs.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I was so proud of my advancement through their well thought out instruction and qualification standards. 

Good on ya !! 

But it's funny how so many Swabies and Coasties know so little about sailing. Including officers. 

They all take sailing at Annapolis, but not very much. 

Decades after I got my cram course via the Naval Sailing Association I saw where there was a sailing coach position opening at the Naval Academy at their fine facility in Annapolis. My Dad was not a Academy grad but was what was called a 'Mustang' which is an officer that came out of the Officer Candidate School. I think he felt the Annapolis grads looked down their noses at the Mustangs and I would have thought that they would have really been drilled during their Academy days but that didn't seem to be the case. I just looked up the actual definition of Mustang and it means that the officer was an enlisted man prior to OCS. I don't think my Dad was ever actually an enlisted man but his route was through NROTC during college. 

Point is that I applied for the Academy sailing coach after many years of living afloat in the Caribbean and was not surprised that I got notice that the position had been filled 'internally' but there was an assistant coaching position that I was offered. That job was more of a surveyor job to travel around and make onsite inspections of the myriad of boats that get offered as donations to the Academy Fleet. They are pretty picky as to the type and condition of any donations and it would mean a lot of travel to get a first hand look at the boats then report back and help cull the crap boats out. Then it would be up to me recruit from the cadets a delivery crew and bring the boat back to Annapolis. What more could a lifelong Navy Brat ask for?!

I'm pretty sure that my references from the NSC and exemplary record within the Navy Sailing Clubs went a long way to my being chosen for that job. When I first told my Dad I was trying for a job at the Academy he just laughed and then scoffed at the idea. He just saw me as a Hippie Surfer/Sailor and would never be considered for the role. I was more excited about the assistant position and when I showed him the acceptance offer and pay grade he about fell out of his chair! He came around on the idea and was secretly pleased that I had persevered and clinched the job. I had mentioned that I lived aboard my Passport 40 in the USVI and they asked how long it would take for me to up anchor and sail up to the Cheaspeake and even offered me a liveaboard slip in the Navy Yacht Marina! I promised to be there early in the Spring delivery window and be ready for the big Summer racing season. My significant other wasn't thrilled with leaving our paradise Island existence but with two daughters going into school it would be a big plus and her career opportunities would be greatly improved. 

This was just before the first Desert War began and I got a letter from the Sailing Staff informing me that since our country was now in the midst of a real shooting war that the Navy's priorities had switch to the war effort and they wouldn't even be accepting any donated boats for a while and alas that was the end of my dream job...