What Sunglasses Do You Like?

My favorite sunglasses (don't even remember the brand) recently fell off my head and went Plop! into the water. I wore them for years, sailing and cycling. So I am in need of a good pair. They don't have to be a primo brand - just something that fits a big head, provides clear vision with good protection, and makes an old guy look cool. :) Any suggestions?

Suncloud.  best bang for the buck at like $50-60/frame. lifetime warranty too, I believe. replaced a few with no questions asked.

After getting banged in the eye when gybing a spinnaker pole, I now only use safety glasses sun glasses, available at your favourite hardware store for under $20.  And at that price I don't have to fret them falling overboard.

Bought them as a joke but Pit Viper are actually great for racing, tons of custom fit adjustment and available in polarized and non polarized safety frames 

On 4/19/2021 at 10:10 PM, bloodshot said:

Suncloud.  best bang for the buck at like $50-60/frame. lifetime warranty too, I believe. replaced a few with no questions asked.

All I wore for years. White frames with rose tint lenses. found out the lenses were ground at the same place that made lenses for Vaurnet. At least they were for a while in the 80s. at less than half the cost of Vs it was a no brainer. but alas, they quit making the rose lenses. 

nowadays, after paving the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay in sunglasses, it's whatever I can find under 10$ that isn't already scratched up too bad. 

Suncloud did have a fabulous replacement policy. if I ever lost a lens or broke a frame and sent them bac in, they'd send me a new pair. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

All I wore for years. White frames with rose tint lenses. found out the lenses were ground at the same place that made lenses for Vaurnet. At least they were for a while in the 80s. at less than half the cost of Vs it was a no brainer. but alas, they quit making the rose lenses. 

nowadays, after paving the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay in sunglasses, it's whatever I can find under 10$ that isn't already scratched up too bad. 

On the boat, Jimmy S turned me on to the 1 for $30 2 for $40 3 for $50 sunglass hut at the Annapolis boat show when I was complaining about having lost three pairs of nice shades in a week, including some Oakleys and Spy's ($400 word).  Said he had the same problem but when he switched to the cheapies - which are polarized and per my Optometrist cousin, "decent lenses, great for $20" - he stopped losing them, and when he loses one overboard or it gets sat or stepped on, it's not a big tragedy.  It was easier to go downscale as he gave me the advice on the way out after a half dozen Pain Killers and a couple free G&T's at the Hendrix gin tent.  I'd probably go with the Home Depot craptastic but polarized $15 dollar ones now, if I didn't already have a source.  Nothing more traumatic than watching your Oakleys do a back flip, double twist, into the Chesapeake. 

Off the boat I like Oakleys.  

Sailing, definitely cheap Polaroid safety glasses, wrap round type.

Like watches over the years too many have gone for a swim..

And too many head butts of low booms, in the last 41 years too..

Large skulls; the Smith XL options really offer the most variety of shapes and lens colors out of the brands I've considered without going the expense or weight of Costa's.

I have Oakley Splitshots with the Prism lenses, really like them. Had a reefing hook (since replaced with a knot) come undone and hit me enough force to disorient me for a second. Scared the shit out of me. Took it dead center in my eye. The Oakley aren't rated for impact like my Wiley X or Revisions are but they saved my eye that day although I did have to replace the lens. 

Definitely Wiley-X.  Amazingly bullet-proof.   I bought my current pair about 4 years ago. I bought an extra pair 1.5 years ago in case my original ones wore out or got lost.  I'm still using the originals. 

Hinges are SS, important for sailors.

As a bonus you can use them as ski goggles in the winter.  And they meet ANSI Z87.1, which, AFAICT means they are safety glasses too.

https://www.wileyx.com/airrage

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, Israel Hands said:

My favorite sunglasses (don't even remember the brand) recently fell off my head and went Plop! into the water. I wore them for years, sailing and cycling. So I am in need of a good pair. They don't have to be a primo brand - just something that fits a big head, provides clear vision with good protection, and makes an old guy look cool. :) Any suggestions?

Cheap.

I got a pair at Costco and although i don't know what they are some young girl from Germany said "ooooooH you've got XXXX" so at least I know they have a big advertising budget

Fashion over function is good. If all you guys knew that some young girl would compliment you on how you look that's what you would buy. For some of you that's all you would ever buy.

Pick your battles.

I feel like I'm revealing one of my dark secrets.

https://www.ctswholesalesunglasses.com/

Hit the polarized section, buy a box of 12 for ~$40. Throw spare pairs in the car, boat, raceboat and gear bag. When the foredeck fubars the douse and everyone loses their shades, hand them out like candy.

Supposedly, the lenses are made in the US, shipped to china, put into Chinese frames and then shipped back to CTS in OR. Surprisingly decent lenses for $4/pr.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently Serengeti glass non polorized photo chromatic for me with drilled temple ends and diy leash/friction clamp. Polorization fucks with my head and plastic sucks. If ray ban still made the balorama with non polarized lenses I would be wearing those. Life is too short for cheap sunglasses and shoes among other things. But I will say on overcast mornings on the bicycle that amber smith and Wesson shooting glasses are the bomb in the woods when light is low.

Seems we're spoiled for choice when it comes to regular sunglasses, but I'm curious to know what folks do that wear progressive lenses.  I got mine with the photochromic coating and they work OK as sunglasses but not great.  I also find that progressives are pretty poor when one is constantly scanning sails, horizon, etc.  I'm thinking of getting a pair of hardline bifocal sunglasses for boat use.  Anyone have any experience or advice to offer?

1 hour ago, Son of Hans said:

Seems we're spoiled for choice when it comes to regular sunglasses, but I'm curious to know what folks do that wear progressive lenses.  I got mine with the photochromic coating and they work OK as sunglasses but not great.  I also find that progressives are pretty poor when one is constantly scanning sails, horizon, etc.  I'm thinking of getting a pair of hardline bifocal sunglasses for boat use.  Anyone have any experience or advice to offer?

Don't bother with progressive or bifocal sunglasses for sailing if you are nearsighted.  I'm nearsighted and my only problem is seeing really close at this point - I just lift my sunglasses temporarily.   I could not get used to progressives, found them annoying and ditched them.  I think progressives work better for farsighted.

I stack the magnifiers on the outside of the sunglasses when needed though it can be tricky at first. Both sets on leashes with the magnifiers on a shorter leash so they hang inside the sunglasses when not using either. Figured if Paul Newman did it it had to be cool. Turns out it works.

• Like 1

I have been wearing Oakley Holbrook bifocal sunglasses  for the last three years ( not cheap) and have found them to be fantastic. Not once have they slipped or looked like falling off even when pushed up onto my cap and the lenses are top grade. except for one thing. The frames are starting to breakup and I now know why they are available in metal. 

20 hours ago, Son of Hans said:

I'm on the back of the boat, so other than dodging mainsheet and mizzen staysail, not much hazard of loss.

Every day lens: Progressive, photochromic, UV blocking, 1/4 wave anti reflective on a "sport hinge" frame. Good enough for driving, walking outside for short durations

For bright sky, all day outside: semi wrap around Maui Jim Readers: Double Gradient, polarized ordered through optometrist.  Strong Astigmatism (3.5 diopters) and need the bifocals to read text. You get used to a slight tilt to read the MFD's, and wear a hat to reduce the glare from skin reflections, unless you like eyeblack.

Keep previous prescription pair for a spare in chart locker

On 4/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, Dogfish4255 said:

Large skulls; the Smith XL options really offer the most variety of shapes and lens colors out of the brands I've considered without going the expense or weight of Costa's.

Costas suck, since they went all corporate their cust service has sucked and the product aint so hot.  They are the Bubba/Florida man fishing glasses of choice for all the rednecks as well.  (just watch any fishing program.). switched to maui jims a couple years ago.  Heaven...  

Oakley has been my go-to since using their motocross goggles in the ‘80’s. I’m hard on eyewear. They’re tough and I find I have to really make an effort to scratch the lenses. Also use their sunglasses frames for my daily prescription eyewear.

My hipster nephew still wears the Frogskins I bought the year they first came out, so that’s what…30 years now…?