9 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

A fine man.

I am ashamed to admit, and regret to this day my vote for Ronald Reagan. I never thought that I actually voted for a criminal enterprise, but he had 138 administration appointees go to jail, there would have been more if Reagan had left the pardons alone.

The shameful way he misled Americans, the way he lied and cheated, the way his cohorts covered up his dementia, because power and money was more important is a nasty legacy to rest your soul on. 

What if?

• Like 1

A very fine man indeed.

If only there were more like him today.

RIP Fritz.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Gotta wonder why God killed Reagan so much sooner than Mondale or Carter. 

Reagan was 93 as well....

18 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I am ashamed to admit, and regret to this day my vote for Ronald Reagan. I never thought that I actually voted for a criminal enterprise, but he had 138 administration appointees go to jail, there would have been more if Reagan had left the pardons alone.

The shameful way he misled Americans, the way he lied and cheated, the way his cohorts covered up his dementia, because power and money was more important is a nasty legacy to rest your soul on. 

What if?

And I’m proud to acknowledge that as a wee teenager, one of my first political actions was to protest against that old warmongering codger when he got an honorary degree from UCG now known as NUIG 

“What if?” Is right...

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Gotta wonder why God killed Reagan so much sooner than Mondale or Carter. 

And I'm dreading the day that my friend Jimmy dies. He's put in more energy, and effort to make the world a better place, and he deserves to get whatever peace his body and soul desire... I'll just miss him.

Fritz was a good wing man, and should have beaten Reagan handily, but there was this economic thing that Carter inherited, and.... It kind of bled over onto Mondale even 4 years after the first debacle.

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

What if?

Reagan was a shit.

Reagan was an unwitting stooge/marionette for the Vulcans. If he'd had half a brain by the time he was nominated, he would have shed himself of those creeps. But, like Trump, he was more interested in his image in the mirror, than the people in the country... Or the world for that matter.

9 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Reagan was a shit.

10 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Reagan was evil incarnate.

I did not know that, I thought he was more or less a b-rated actor. I love this place.

My interests had been elsewhere, walking the streets of ghettoes.

But I could tell, for sure, that the inner cities were places which unawakened parties, now known as the unwoke, had generated.

10 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Reagan was evil incarnate.

Disagree. I think his problem was the exact opposite, he wanted to see the good in people and was willing to let his various subordinates do whatever because he just didn't want to think too hard about what they REALLY were up to.

7 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

9 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Reagan was a shit.

I did not know that, I thought he was more or less a b-rated actor. I love this place.

My interests had been elsewhere, walking the streets of ghettoes.

But I could tell, for sure, that the inner cities were places which unawakened parties, now known as the unwoke, had generated.

Reagan did nothing to prevent the spread of AIDS, even when his friend Rock Hudson pleaded for help, he turned up his nose at him.

Reagan tripled the national debt.

Reagan broke the growth of unions in the US. in 1981, he fired 26,000 air traffic controllers which killed bargaining power of unions country wide.

Reagan killed any attempt to regulate what kind of advertising was shown on children programs. That's how we ended up with GI Joe cartoons and an entire industry of GI Joe toys.

Reagan illegally sold weapons to Iran to raise money to send to the Contras, a right wing military power that were trying to destroy the left wing Sandinistas in Nicaragua. 

In 1985, The LA Times wrote:

Typical among them was an Oct. 28, 1982, contra attack on the rural area of El Jicaro in northern Nicaragua. In an affidavit, Maria Bustillo, 57, testified that five armed men dressed in the FDN’s blue uniforms burst into her house and dragged away her husband Ricardo, a Roman Catholic activist, and five of their children. The next morning she found the mutilated bodies of the children. Her husband’s body was found later.

Reagan called the Contras “moral equals of our Founding Fathers.”

Reagan financially funded and supported the group who would later become the Taliban, yes the group that brought down the Twin Towers and gave us 9/11. he did this because he wanted to destroy Communism.

Reagan murdered the American dream. His supply side economic theory and trickle down economic scam enriched the wealth class and left average workers with crumbs.

There's more of course, but you get the drift.

10 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Reagan did nothing to prevent the spread of AIDS, even when his friend Rock Hudson pleaded for help, he turned up his nose at him.

Reagan tripled the national debt.

Reagan broke the growth of unions in the US. in 1981, he fired 26,000 air traffic controllers which killed bargaining power of unions country wide.

Reagan killed any attempt to regulate what kind of advertising was shown on children programs. That's how we ended up with GI Joe cartoons and an entire industry of GI Joe toys.

Reagan illegally sold weapons to Iran to raise money to send to the Contras, a right wing military power that were trying to destroy the left wing Sandinistas in Nicaragua. 

In 1985, The LA Times wrote:

Typical among them was an Oct. 28, 1982, contra attack on the rural area of El Jicaro in northern Nicaragua. In an affidavit, Maria Bustillo, 57, testified that five armed men dressed in the FDN’s blue uniforms burst into her house and dragged away her husband Ricardo, a Roman Catholic activist, and five of their children. The next morning she found the mutilated bodies of the children. Her husband’s body was found later.

Reagan called the Contras “moral equals of our Founding Fathers.”

Reagan financially funded and supported the group who would later become the Taliban, yes the group that brought down the Twin Towers and gave us 9/11. he did this because he wanted to destroy Communism.

Reagan murdered the American dream. His supply side economic theory and trickle down economic scam enriched the wealth class and left average workers with crumbs.

There's more of course, but you get the drift.

I see that some are drifting, in luxury, and that certain others have a direction.

20 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Disagree. I think his problem was the exact opposite, he wanted to see the good in people and was willing to let his various subordinates do whatever because he just didn't want to think too hard about what they REALLY were up to.

See my post above. The buck always stops at the desk of the president.

1 minute ago, jocal505 said:

I see that some are drifting, in luxury, and that certain others have a direction.

It was an interesting and complicated time in history. If you live long enough, you get to see how it all turns out.

10 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

See my post above. The buck always stops at the desk of the president.

True. I kind of think of Bush the Lessor the same way, smiling and nodding while his people did all kinds of nasty shit he didn't want to think too much about.

18 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

True. I kind of think of Bush the Lessor the same way, smiling and nodding while his people did all kinds of nasty shit he didn't want to think too much about.

Yes, it was far too easy to put the blame on Darth Cheney.

27 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This is central to conservatism. It was plausible deniability with Nixon. It was blowing amiable sunshine up a nation's ass with Reagan. It's reasonable police work with Chauvin.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Disagree. I think his problem was the exact opposite, he wanted to see the good in people and was willing to let his various subordinates do whatever because he just couldn't think too hard about what they REALLY were up to.

FTFY

Interesting story being repeated or told. Ronald Reagan after being told by campaign director Ed Rollins that there was a very good possibility Reagan would be elected in a 50 state sweep of the EC (never happened before), Reagan instructed Rollins to stop advertising and close all campaign offices in Minnesota as not to completely embarrass VP Mondale.

Mondale picking Geraldine Ferraro as his running mate, a very bold move, likely cost him a few votes. Not because she was the first woman on a presidential ticket, but because her husband was  heavily involved in the mafia. Opps.

Rest in peace sir and thanks for your service to our nation.