Retro Boat --- DEAD???

Pretty much. Too expensive to produce, too few views to make any money, advertisers don't seem interested. Patreon is a bust.

While I suppose I don't mind doing these for free, Nobelman Productions can't continue donating their work forever. 

We were hoping that if we made enough of these on a consistent basis, we would get enough traction via you tube views, but it never happened. 

Getting around 12,000 views per video isn't shit in the You Tube world. You Tube can make decent money, but at numbers like 50,000 views and up.

What makes it doubly frustrating, besides the reality that no one really cares, is the whole host of absolute shit sailing videos like "Sailing Doodles"  featuring a total douchebag, his homely gf and her huge saggy tits and their fucking labradoodle dogs sailing around on their piggy boat. The vids are so fucking awful it is hard to believe, yet they get hundreds of thousands of views per video, making serious coin.

I know that plenty of people don't like me, and that our vids have limited appeal, but it is really disappointing that these videos just didnt connect with a larger audience.

I'm sure that we'll still make them on occasion, but as a going thing, at this rate, I don't see it being sustainable.

• Like 21
3 minutes ago, Editor said:

Pretty much. Too expensive to produce, too few views to make any money, advertisers don't seem interested. Patreon is a bust.

While I suppose I don't mind doing these for free, Nobelman Productions can't continue donating their work forever. 

We were hoping that if we made enough of these on a consistent basis, we would get enough traction via you tube views, but it never happened. 

Getting around 12,000 views per video isn't shit in the You Tube world. You Tube can make decent money, but at numbers like 50,000 views and up.

What makes it doubly frustrating, besides the reality that no one really cares, is the whole host of absolute shit sailing videos like "Sailing Doodles"  featuring a total douchebag, his homely gf and her huge saggy tits and their fucking labradoodle dogs sailing around on their piggy boat. The vids are so fucking awful it is hard to believe, yet they get hundreds of thousands of views per video, making serious coin.

I know that plenty of people don't like me, and that our vids have limited appeal, but it is really disappointing that these videos just didnt connect with a larger audience.

I'm sure that we'll still make them on occasion, but as a going thing, at this rate, I don't see it being sustainable.

Maybe if video quality is good SA members can post a quick video of their boat and info on it? racing history? etc

30 minutes ago, Editor said:

What makes it doubly frustrating, besides the reality that no one really cares, is the whole host of absolute shit sailing videos like "Sailing Doodles"  featuring a total douchebag, his homely gf and her huge saggy tits and their fucking labradoodle dogs sailing around on their piggy boat. 

This is exactly why....

i fucking love this place!

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, Benytoe said:

Maybe if video quality is good SA members can post a quick video of their boat and info on it? racing history? etc

We have tried that with members wives tits, but it has never got much traction either.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:
47 minutes ago, Editor said:

What makes it doubly frustrating, besides the reality that no one really cares, is the whole host of absolute shit sailing videos like "Sailing Doodles"  featuring a total douchebag, his homely gf and her huge saggy tits and their fucking labradoodle dogs sailing around on their piggy boat. 

This is exactly why....     i fucking love this place!

smoochie faice issente gonig be happey abote thisse................                                                :)

1 hour ago, Editor said:

1 hour ago, Editor said:

They were top notch. 

• Like 2

I think it's safe to say the videos were nearly unanimously considered to be incredibly well done, entertaining and informative.  You had a great presence in the videos and Justin's work was incredibly professional.  Seems like often times it's just dumb luck and being in the right place at the right time in the YouTube algorithms to grow the way you need to maintain the series.  It certainly didn't have anything to do with lack of quality.  Super bummed we're not getting to see more but I can fully appreciate how much time and energy it takes to make the video without enough in return other than a bunch of cheap bastards watching for free!

• Like 8

Great work.  Quality vids, highly informative and entertaining.  Really sorry to see it didn't work out financially. 

I hope to see some in the future.  They were really worthwhile.

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:
11 hours ago, Benytoe said:

We have tried that with members wives tits, but it has never got much traction either.

??

Why was I not informed of this?

- DSK

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

smoochie faice issente gonig be happey abote thisse................                                                :)

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I'm not sure. The actual boat characteristics and  descriptions and history were not very good.  Almost every one had ' Look at these winches, old school, really cool!, or
'You can sit here and drive and see everything, really cool1', or  'Notice the old school narrow beam, really cool'. 

There is always room for a better mousetrap. Take Captain Q who started recently and averages 75,000 views on a very low budget. If you don't show a lot of tits you need to show some depth of research and knowledge to make them attractive. Or wear red and green braces. 

It was a good idea though.   

You've got to be kidding me. That Captain Q guy is a crook, hawking boats that need a lot of work to naive people who don't know shit about boats. 

11 hours ago, Editor said:

While all of this is true, I think you may be selling the idea a bit short and giving up early.  You have built SA, and it has been your bread and butter, but the numbers on how people interact with the internet and with each other nowadays is not in your favor.  
  You do however have a skill set as evidenced in your retroboat videos that I think could have some legs.  It doesn’t need to be in the form of retro boat per se, but compelling content is something people are thirsty for.  To the extent that the majority of sailing content on YouTube  is of the “we bought a boat!!!!” ilk, there are only a few sources that cater to real sailors.  I think Planet Sail is a good example, and I really don’t think there is any reason why you couldn’t produce something as compelling as why Matthew Sheehan has created with Planet Sail.   
  On the issue of people not liking you for being irreverent and feeling like Sailing Anarchy has set a low bar, fuck em.  If you offer knowledgeable commentary, interviews, reviews, news etc with the same natural ease that you have done with RetroBoat, the matter of people feeling uneasy about you and SA will disappear.   Yes it’s a lot of work, but if anyone has both the skill and the position to create something, it’s you.   

• Like 3

IMHO, the Retro Boat series is excellent...if the viewer already knows a bit about boats.  I'm willing to bet the average viewer of the ridiculously boring "adventures" of millennials who bought a boat and went sailing don't know shit about boats.  I love the Retro videos and have watched several more than once.  I even signed up on Patreon, granted I didn't give much, but I did give what I pay for my local newspaper subscriptions and monthly NPR donation.  YouTube is a terrible place to try and make money.  There are strategies for getting more views but those also take time and maybe Scooter doesn't have that kind of time.  My kid wanted to be a YouTube star until I told her it would take at least 40 hours of writing, filming, editing and search optimization for a 10 min clip.  

• Like 2

The Retro boat videos were great. Find a way to keep them going PLEASE!

I bought a cheap boat and I'm fixing it up. Just wondering if it would have cost less if I had some arm candy helping me and posted it all up on youtube while begging for money from Patreon?

I enjoyed the videos but it is probably too geeky to appeal to a broad audience!

May be onboard racing videos in a windy place would have more appeal... Get some cameras fixed to the rear pulpit of several boats and edit it including as many broaches as possible! Before you ask I don't have a clue how this could work economically!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

Maybe if Scooter were to show more tits 

Never figured out what everyone obsession with tits is about?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Never figured out what everyone obsession with tits is about?

Me either, now bums would be better.Beach Bums & Feels - Home | Facebook

wow guys, thanks for all the commentary. you're all mostly spot on and make some good points. like i said, we'll do them on occasion. justin and i will discuss plans going forward.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Editor said:

Sounds like you need saggy tits.

43 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Just checked out Sailing Doodles.  There are exactly 2 reasons why the videos are popular and they have nothing to do with boats.

Books?

(Thought it was Brad Meltzer's The Book of Lies, but closer look says The Book of Fate)

1191484109_ScreenShot2021-04-21at8_10_48AM.thumb.png.c6c5638de9e2999975f427262313e85b.png

15 hours ago, Benytoe said:

It could be done with a go pro, and a better host. Scot's stoner shit eating grin has got to go.

Editing video can be tough. Besides who really cares about a 5 minute video about a J35 after it was done. Many want to see what and how it was done. that is the gold. Kind of like Forged in Fire, Lets see them working. But then again, after the first few seasons it becomes the same shit, different day.

I enjoyed the series so far. Maybe you just need to pivot to the same kind of content as every other sailing clickbait channel? As a millenial myself this is second nature to me:

1. Video thumbnail is of a boat (not necessarily yours) somewhere tropical with a big red arrow pointing to somewhere random and maybe a pic of a woman in a bikini or two

2. Start the video by loudly saying "Hey youtube and welcome to Sailing SV Anarchy!" and then transition into 4-5 minutes of you taking about how glad you are for the viewer's attention and support with a link to your Patreon up on the screen the entire time

3. Make the title something like "You Won't BELIEVE Our Cruising Life!", start every video by implying that something huge and crazy happens later on in the video only for it to be something like a blurry 15 second video of a sea lion

4. It's crucially important that you never use any nautical terms, never talk about skills or strategies, and above all don't talk about fixing things unless it's involved in making a clickbait video titled like "STRANDED AT SEA! Our ENGINE Died on the Open Ocean!!!"

5. Don't forget the obligatory slightly shaky, too-long sunset shot!

You can thank me later :)

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Commercial Boater said:

I enjoyed the series so far. Maybe you just need to pivot to the same kind of content as every other sailing clickbait channel? As a millenial myself this is second nature to me:

1. Video thumbnail is of a boat (not necessarily yours) somewhere tropical with a big red arrow pointing to somewhere random and maybe a pic of a woman in a bikini or two

2. Start the video by loudly saying "Hey youtube and welcome to Sailing SV Anarchy!" and then transition into 4-5 minutes of you taking about how glad you are for the viewer's attention and support with a link to your Patreon up on the screen the entire time

3. Make the title something like "You Won't BELIEVE Our Cruising Life!", start every video by implying that something huge and crazy happens later on in the video only for it to be something like a blurry 15 second video of a sea lion

4. It's crucially important that you never use any nautical terms, never talk about skills or strategies, and above all don't talk about fixing things unless it's involved in making a clickbait video titled like "STRANDED AT SEA! Our ENGINE Died on the Open Ocean!!!"

5. Don't forget the obligatory slightly shaky, too-long sunset shot!

You can thank me later :)

Brilliant!

I like the series, but get it that they videos need more views to make the whole thing viable.  

Many are around 15k views now, but don't be surprised to see those go up in the future.  Sometimes these things take a while to catch on.

Never even knew it existed but just watched four or five as a result of this thread.

Meh.

Too much style over substance, too much Scot, not enough sailing. 

11 hours ago, Rotnest Express said:

Didn’t I recall reading somewhere the Late Jack Sparrow had a significant Production House or was I mistaken?

Jack claimed all manner of bullshit about himself but by turning over a few stones it was easy to see through it all. His problem was that he didn’t know what was real or not on the shit he googled then presented as knowledge. 

Just be happy the prick is gone.

6 hours ago, Editor said:

wow guys, thanks for all the commentary. you're all mostly spot on and make some good points. like i said, we'll do them on occasion. justin and i will discuss plans going forward.

Check in with these guys before the next shoot to add sum sum fluff

https://cocainemodels.com/women/

2 hours ago, retroSail said:

Episode 31 has a lady in it and has double the views of your average view amount. I think I know the issue.

Ist caulled 'lackatittes', lowe rattengs................                     :)

29 minutes ago, VWAP said:
7 hours ago, Editor said:

Check in with these guys before the next shoot to add sum sum fluff

https://cocainemodels.com/women/

Thisse oune coude selle me the 'restoired Titanic' witjoute even tryneng................                     :)

nora-multicultural-curly-hair-sport-fitn

:)

6 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

It could be done with a go pro, and a better host. Scot's stoner shit eating grin has got to go.

Editing video can be tough. Besides who really cares about a 5 minute video about a J35 after it was done. Many want to see what and how it was done. that is the gold. Kind of like Forged in Fire, Lets see them working. But then again, after the first few seasons it becomes the same shit, different day.

Dude, put your bitter war aside. Scot and I are in no way friends. In fact he banned me for awhile for speaking my opinion of him. I still think he’s an ass. Having said that, I think he did a great job on the Retro boat project and it’s a bummer it didn’t work out. 

• Like 1

There’s only one way to grow this kind of thing, and that’s to do it reliably for a long long time. always longer than you think necessary. 

quality, character, all that kind of thing is barely a consideration unless you have durability and reliability. The SA podcast for instance: when we got to six months, the numbers started doubling. A year, tripling, even the older episodes. Then those chicks with the pit bulls broke my brain. 

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Jack Sparrow = BJPorter? 

Hardly. BJ has sailed the Oceans. Jack only sails the interwebs.

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:
48 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Jack Sparrow = BJPorter? 

Hardly. BJ has sailed the Oceans. Jack only sails the interwebs.

Crisco hasse a harde on foire BJ, lontime, lonstorrey........................                        :)

Scooter,

You know how to make a great video.

But

IMO, the topic has limited appeal to a narrow group of people.

Yeah, you have to go video for the ad bucks nowadays but you got to choose a "hook" that has a bigger TAM

31 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

There’s only one way to grow this kind of thing, and that’s to do it reliably for a long long time. always longer than you think necessary. 

quality, character, all that kind of thing is barely a consideration unless you have durability and reliability. The SA podcast for instance: when we got to six months, the numbers started doubling. A year, tripling, even the older episodes. Then those chicks with the pit bulls broke my brain. 

we did 31 of them, reliably, once a week. i can tell there's little to no more growth with this format. it was a good run.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Dude, put your bitter war aside. Scot and I are in no way friends. In fact he banned me for awhile for speaking my opinion of him. I still think he’s an ass. Having said that, I think he did a great job on the Retro boat project and it’s a bummer it didn’t work out. 

thanks. trude is a bitter little fuck and he's lucky i let him hang around.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Editor said:
37 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

we did 31 of them, reliably, once a week. i can tell there's little to no more growth with this format. it was a good run.

So, you our telleng Cleane to "shutte the fucke up"  ?  Juste lookeng foire clarificationes........             :)

13 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I'm not sure. The actual boat characteristics and  descriptions and history were not very good.  Almost every one had ' Look at these winches, old school, really cool!, or
'You can sit here and drive and see everything, really cool1', or  'Notice the old school narrow beam, really cool'. 

There is always room for a better mousetrap. Take Captain Q who started recently and averages 75,000 views on a very low budget. If you don't show a lot of tits you need to show some depth of research and knowledge to make them attractive. Or wear red and green braces. 

Are you a piece of shit, or do you just play one on the internet?

1 minute ago, sunseeker said:
13 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Expand  Expand  

Are you a piece of shit, or do you just play one on the internet?

Hese beene tryning to contacte you regardeng youre cars exteded warranttee.................                   :)

3 hours ago, Editor said:

2 years says the podcast guru but I agree the subject matter has limited appeal. 

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Jen Appelle?  

PTSD seeing the name

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Hese beene tryning to contacte you regardeng youre cars exteded warranttee.................                   :)

I am recruiting hot gay guys with no experience to crew this season on Dragonfly. Will just do clips of them them twerking in hot underwear during the race...

You old crabs will watch...

Armada001.jpg

• Like 1

Add me to the legions of SA fans who are sad about this.  But I understand.  Shooting videos isn't the hardest part.  Editing and putting a coherent story together takes both time and money.  Add to that the need for the audience to have a reasonable knowledge of not just sailing, but racing to really enjoy them and the market probably doesn't make sense.  Damn.

However, I will be forever grateful we had the series during the fucking quarantine period.  They were the best thing on the internet week after week. 

For REALLY retro sailing fans, the Herreshoff Marine Museum put out a weekly email called "Code Flag Lima" (for quarantine) that was also a mental life saver.

• Like 5

I'm also disappointed that this didn't work out. I really enjoyed the series. I thought the videos were very well done and the boat selection was interesting as well. Sure, they weren't perfect, but what is? I thought it was a nice mix of production boats and one offs. For those of us with older boats and older boat budgets, I think videos like this are a great way to see and get a feel for these boats without spending a lot of time walking docks and boatyards. So much better than digging through listing pictures online. Plus I got to see a few boats that aren't as common where I sail. 

I also really enjoyed where you got the owners to weigh in and when you got to sail the boat. I'm sure that was a lot of fun for you as well, although shooting the sailing parts probably added a lot more complexity. 

Thanks for putting in the effort Scot and Justin. I hope you can still put out the occasional video. 

• Like 2

Ed: first--thanks for the site. Especially this last year, isolation and winter was easily ignored thanks to SA

secondly, FWIW, the 'productions' from SA I found most useful were the interviews with 'retro' sailors, like the last one you did with Bouwe Bekking. Clean's contacts with Alex Thompson and other Ocean Racing sailors are sorely missed this winter.

So, the knowledgeable community I find here is tops. What SA offers that I can't find elsewhere is the original source material: the interviews. As with Hobot's Picthread, if ever SA threads would be lost, that would be a serious loss of sailing history.

Thanks again, and best wishes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stief said:

Ed: first--thanks for the site. Especially this last year, isolation and winter was easily ignored thanks to SA

secondly, FWIW, the 'productions' from SA I found most useful were the interviews with 'retro' sailors, like the last one you did with Bouwe Bekking. Clean's contacts with Alex Thompson and other Ocean Racing sailors are sorely missed this winter.

So, the knowledgeable community I find here is tops. What SA offers that I can't find elsewhere is the original source material: the interviews. As with Hobot's Picthread, if ever SA threads would be lost, that would be a serious loss of sailing history.

Thanks again, and best wishes.

thank you. yes, we forever miss clean's contributions and if there was more money in what we do, he'd likely still be here, but there just fucking isn't. i think we've picked up a lot of slack with ronnie simpson, shanghai, anarchist david's work, and between what the community contributes and what i do, i rather like our fp mixture...

as for hobot's thread i have no fucking idea what happened to it - i certainly didn't touch it. will see if we can recover it....

• Like 5

Just an idea maybe you could keep doing the videos and try and get subsidized by people wanting to sell their boats.   I did enjoy your nice videos very much! 

• Like 2
On 4/22/2021 at 8:16 AM, Editor said:

I am going to go out on a limb here...

Videos, excellent. Too excellent.

Seriously, the video's were fucking phenomenal, and to any enthusiast they are absolutely to die for, hence the constant "where are they" "we love them's" etc that you are getting from the people of this website, those who are here because they are enthusiasts.

But that's not the market you want... That's not the viewers watching Sailing Doodles and that garbage. They are the plebs, the mass viewers, the people "wasting hours a night on youtube and their mobile phones.

I think, those people want reliable content... but relatable content. Whether people like or hate you here, you are relatable to us. Not the plebs, you aren't relateable to the plebs. What is relatable to the plebs?

Who are the plebs? The millions of fat, mostly American, mostly straight, middle class, white guys, mid-level office-workers or tradesmen. What does that person relate to?

"Tits. Ass. Tits. Ass. Step-Siblings". In any way shape or form, there is no limit to how much of that, they can consume. What dominates the web with these people? Pornhub, what's on their front-page? That.

"The achievable dream", the "buy a cheap boat, fix it up, and cast off from the monotony" dream. Spend the rest of days sipping pina-coladas on the beach (because these people have never been in the position to experience this and realise that it sucks, you get over it in 2 weeks). It's the same with the "vanlife" "tiny home" shit.

"The guy", you aren't the guy to them, your production quality is too high for this, you are a team, and that's what it takes to make something great, but it's not relatable to some guy lying on the couch watching this on his phone, it actually comes off as "smug" to them. They look at you as though "hey, look at this rich old guy, paying a production crew, spending his time looking at fancy boats, fuck him". 

"The friend", what else are these mass viewers? Lonely. A lot of this is to keep them company in their lonely nights. That's where a lot of repeat viewership comes from. These mass viewers are looking for someone to hang out with, to stimulate them visually and audibly for a couple hours a night. The same way so many women sit there and sink hours and hours into scrolling through Instagram.

So to me, TL;DR, you are too good. The content is absolutely A1. Everyone here lusts for more and for good reason. But if that's what the "mass market" wanted, then there would be 20 million members of this forum. 20 million hardcore sailing cruising and racing enthusiasts. You did everything you could have, and I think did make enough videos to get the base required, and the quality was way above what was required.

• Like 3
On 4/22/2021 at 11:24 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

2 years says the podcast guru but I agree the subject matter has limited appeal. 

PTSD seeing the name

He did have a head-start on the 2 years, given the starting base of forum users...

To my knowledge the "2 year investment" is for freshman.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, retroSail said:

Episode 31 has a lady in it and has double the views of your average view amount. I think I know the issue.

Are you sayin Scooter needs to transition and come back with a big rack....?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:
On 4/21/2021 at 4:39 PM, retroSail said:

Are you sayin Scooter needs to transition and come back with a big rack....?

Notte siurre thast the beste sollutione, butte addeng to teh doubelle featiurre nevere hurte s

BoF.PNG

:)

• Like 1

I didn't even know about these videos before this thread.

I've now watched a few and they are quite fun and informative. However YouTube is international whereas the choice of boats is very Socal biased. Just a comment. 

6 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Oh. "Duplicity" and "notoriety" do not mean what Scot seems to think they mean.

congrats on the most irrelevant and pointless post here. 

10 hours ago, darth reapius said:

I am going to go out on a limb here...

Videos, excellent. Too excellent.

Seriously, the video's were fucking phenomenal, and to any enthusiast they are absolutely to die for, hence the constant "where are they" "we love them's" etc that you are getting from the people of this website, those who are here because they are enthusiasts.

But that's not the market you want... That's not the viewers watching Sailing Doodles and that garbage. They are the plebs, the mass viewers, the people "wasting hours a night on youtube and their mobile phones.

I think, those people want reliable content... but relatable content. Whether people like or hate you here, you are relatable to us. Not the plebs, you aren't relateable to the plebs. What is relatable to the plebs?

Who are the plebs? The millions of fat, mostly American, mostly straight, middle class, white guys, mid-level office-workers or tradesmen. What does that person relate to?

"Tits. Ass. Tits. Ass. Step-Siblings". In any way shape or form, there is no limit to how much of that, they can consume. What dominates the web with these people? Pornhub, what's on their front-page? That.

"The achievable dream", the "buy a cheap boat, fix it up, and cast off from the monotony" dream. Spend the rest of days sipping pina-coladas on the beach (because these people have never been in the position to experience this and realise that it sucks, you get over it in 2 weeks). It's the same with the "vanlife" "tiny home" shit.

"The guy", you aren't the guy to them, your production quality is too high for this, you are a team, and that's what it takes to make something great, but it's not relatable to some guy lying on the couch watching this on his phone, it actually comes off as "smug" to them. They look at you as though "hey, look at this rich old guy, paying a production crew, spending his time looking at fancy boats, fuck him". 

"The friend", what else are these mass viewers? Lonely. A lot of this is to keep them company in their lonely nights. That's where a lot of repeat viewership comes from. These mass viewers are looking for someone to hang out with, to stimulate them visually and audibly for a couple hours a night. The same way so many women sit there and sink hours and hours into scrolling through Instagram.

So to me, TL;DR, you are too good. The content is absolutely A1. Everyone here lusts for more and for good reason. But if that's what the "mass market" wanted, then there would be 20 million members of this forum. 20 million hardcore sailing cruising and racing enthusiasts. You did everything you could have, and I think did make enough videos to get the base required, and the quality was way above what was required.

you are far too kind, seriously. but thanks for big ups!

12 hours ago, pilotdave said:

Just an idea maybe you could keep doing the videos and try and get subsidized by people wanting to sell their boats.   I did enjoy your nice videos very much! 

we have offered it but not on the scale that we should. i thought dc wanted us to do one on splendor, which he is trying to sell, but then didn't. i'm busy just keeping this place above water, and it is difficult to dedicate a lot of time to it but it is worth a bit more effort in that regard, without question.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:38 PM, Editor said:

thank you. yes, we forever miss clean's contributions and if there was more money in what we do, he'd likely still be here, but there just fucking isn't. i think we've picked up a lot of slack with ronnie simpson, shanghai, anarchist david's work, and between what the community contributes and what i do, i rather like our fp mixture...

as for hobot's thread i have no fucking idea what happened to it - i certainly didn't touch it. will see if we can recover it....

That’s sweet of you. We had a window where we could have really set the standards for the sport’s media footprint. Unfortunately there was a large object that decided to place itself over that aperture and suck all the oxygen out of the company at the crucial moment.  Pretty amazing you kept it alive all this time through all the chaos. 

And thank god for that. Without this place many of us would only have our wives to argue with.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That’s sweet of you. We had a window where we could have really set the standards for the sport’s media footprint. Unfortunately there was a large object that decided to place itself over that aperture and suck all the oxygen out of the company at the crucial moment.  Pretty amazing you kept it alive all this time through all the chaos. 

well of course it's true. i miss you greatly here. yes, two large apertures, actually! i think i've done a good job keeping it going. fortunate to have the high quality contributors that we have. this saying might apply:

"I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Editor said:

you're welcome.

9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Touché 

Ok that's pretty funny.  I came for the sailing and rude banter, I'm staying for the grammar! :D  Given Dogwatch's grammatical errors , how do we know we didn't just discover one of Snags sock puppets or maybe even his true identity?