It's Ragtop Dreaming time again!

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Sweet.

All it needs are Volvo Turbo wheels or Minilites.

Volvo 1800 P1800 1800ES P1800ES for sale: photos, technical specifications,  description

Volvo P1800E ES 142 144 145 Panasport FZ Wheels - Sports & Classics

When I tell people my "dream car" is an old volvo, they just don't get it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Pretty sure the BGT was the hardtop version, yet still, would have been nice to own for $500!!!

I could be wrong (it was so long ago) but I thought it was GT rag top..........

MG BGT (ZV39982).

That was a major fail.

I have a lifelong hatred of those VW's - can't count the times I've been trapped behind one while it gasped & wheezed its way in second gear up a narrow mountain road.

My wife's cousin and her husband were two of the most courageous people I ever knew - they drove a GT6 from SF Bay to the east coast and back in the early 70's.

The boot was 1/2 luggage and 1/2 tools.

1968 Triumph GT6 for sale near Jacksonville, Florida 32207 - Classics on  Autotrader

Really enjoyed driving around town topless today!  In Sport Mode the engine and trans are nearly like driving in manual.  Automatically downshifting to slow down, and upshifting at higher revs than comfort mode.  The 15 minute autovlog below review is of the same car, but without XDrive, heated seats, rearview camera and other options on the used car Missus BB got for me.  Her credit score is higher, so she owns everything, LOL!

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Really enjoyed driving around town topless today!  In Sport Mode the engine and trans are nearly like driving in manual.  Automatically downshifting to slow down, and upshifting at higher revs than comfort mode.  The 15 minute autovlog below review is of the same car, but without XDrive, heated seats, rearview camera and other options on the used car Missus BB got for me.  Her credit score is higher, so she owns everything, LOL!

When you get your first Covid shot....ask your doc for a testosterone shot as well. That thing almost makes a Miata look look like a guy's car....:lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That was a major fail.

I have a lifelong hatred of those VW's - can't count the times I've been trapped behind one while it gasped & wheezed its way in second gear up a narrow mountain road.

Define fail

Lets take a count here, Hope, Leslie, Robin, Samantha, Marifika, Gail, Sandi, Clair, and this one that went by the name of Suki.  That thing was a party of four wheels...

Oh!  CHP clocked me at 80 on the 101 between Salinas and King City.  Wrote me up for 65 when the limit was 55  - did me a BIG favor.

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

When you get your first Covid shot....ask your doc for a testosterone shot as well. That thing almost makes a Miata look look like a guy's car....:lol:

Thanks Booth!!  We have both been vaccinated and cleared to be social, with likewise others, in close quarters and no masks.....

As to your second comment, I thought you were a geezer, like me??  SSI can't come soon enough in August, at 66yo +2 months.... 

And I actually like Miata's!!!:D  Just doesn't satisfy winter capability, and hardtop convertible....

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Thanks Booth!!  We have both been vaccinated and cleared to be social, with likewise others, in close quarters and no masks.....

As to your second comment, I thought you were a geezer, like me??  SSI can't come soon enough in August, at 66yo +2 months.... 

And I actually like Miata's!!!:D  Just doesn't satisfy winter capability, and hardtop convertible....

1). Good to hear.

2). I took mine at 62, a couple years ago. After getting completely reamed by EBay, P-Pal, Amazon, that fundraiser here I did for the Nursetta's friend that got nailed on the motorcycle, a little pissy fight with the last contractor I worked for and a couple 1099's I 'forgot' about.....my scheduled monthly payments went from a 7 day all inclusive vacation in Bali....to pretty much dinner for four at the Olive Garden. 

Oil well...at least I'm alive and well.....tonight....:lol:

32 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

1). Good to hear.2). I took mine at 62, a couple years ago. After getting completely reamed by EBay, P-Pal, Amazon, that

fundraiser here I did for the Nursetta's friend that got nailed on the motorcycle, a little pissy fight with the last contractor I worked for and a couple 1099's I 'forgot' about.....my scheduled monthly payments went from a 7 day all inclusive vacation in Bali....to pretty much dinner for four at the Olive Garden. 

Oil well...at least I'm alive and well.....tonight....

:lol:

On your first point, I get the point about Olive Garden wages!!  4 tenants owe us over 20g's, and they don't have to pay because of Covid, and I can't evict them because of Covid...   Cant' pay for taxes on 8 condos, or special assessments, but the big picture is okay!  An extra 200 dollars a month, expensed to the LLC is a small price to pay, for an enjoyable ride, when life is so short, which refers to your second point...

If we both wake up on the right side of the dirt tomorrow morning, that's great, and God bless us, if you believe in God(s)? 

Otherwise, carry on, cheers, etc..... 

But, 

PS EDIT:  I forgot to mention that your previously owned Jag-U-R, is much, much prettier than the Bimmer.  But I doubt you had AWD, and did it have a hardtop Convertible top, for cold weather commuting....??  Probably not required in the steamy SW of your travels...

On 4/22/2021 at 12:04 AM, El Mariachi said:

This is what my friend's completely restored, late 70's, $60k-plus International Scout looks like. Nothing built in the past 45 years in America even comes close in class, style, coolness and individuality. Fuk new trucks. And Fuk new cars. Uggggghhhhh......:lol:

FB_IMG_1612884226080.jpg

Don’t look now, Boothy, but there’s someone on your lawn!!!

:ph34r:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mid said:

Awesome piece of automotive art!!  Only thing that is over the top, IMHO is the exhaust....

8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Awesome piece of automotive art!!  Only thing that is over the top, IMHO is the exhaust....

You ever see the original prototype of the Dodge Viper?.....:lol:

5 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

You ever see the original prototype of the Dodge Viper?.....:lol:

Have not seen that, cite please?

11 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Have not seen that, cite please?

It was at the big Hell-A Car show many years ago. Didn't have that stupid f ugly 'dent' thing in the roof.....and the 5 ex pipes on each side came out intertwined like horny Rattlesnakes on a hot July afternoon. I actually may still have a pic of it up in Cali. Ear-regardless, like most of Dodge's shit.....they tease us with cool stuff.....then two years, manufacture crap. The last Power Wagon they were thinking of bringing back a while ago being yet one more example....

Billy,

I see it as  Art, somewhat similar to the Rat Rod Motorcycles.

I like the side pipes, after seeing " Powering the car is a supercharged AMG-sourced V6 engine "

I't gonna be Loud. 

, part of the Art, "just because"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Billy,

I see it as  Art, somewhat similar to the Rat Rod Motorcycles.

I like the side pipes, after seeing " Powering the car is a supercharged AMG-sourced V6 engine "

I't gonna be Loud. 

, part of the Art, "just because"

Yeah, I get that but still think it's over the top.  Just my taste..

That thing is amazing but it suffers the same fate as those Hondas the kids lower too much - wheel camber is fucked and the tires will wear out on their inner edges in about 100 miles.

May be an image of car

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That thing is amazing but it suffers the same fate as those Hondas the kids lower too much - wheel camber is fucked and the tires will wear out on their inner edges in about 100 miles.

May be an image of car

No Sir!!  It's got air suspension, raise or lower with the flick of a button.....

23 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

No Sir!!  It's got air suspension, raise or lower with the flick of a button.....

That is just to navigate over the throw rug in front of the ottoman.  After navigating that hairy obstacle, this thing is all business. 

• Like 1

Everything north of my moustache would be above that windscreen. I'm thinking major windburn on half my face.

This was my soft top until last year. 

Turbo1.thumb.JPG.da638571179b97a76224d7a5d6e6af3c.JPG

With the beautiful spring we're having right now - I have a hankerin' for something to drive around with the top down.  Hmmmmm......

2 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

This was my soft top until last year. 

Turbo1.thumb.JPG.da638571179b97a76224d7a5d6e6af3c.JPG

With the beautiful spring we're having right now - I have a hankerin' for something to drive around with the top down.  Hmmmmm......

And BTW @billy backstay - that was immediately after I had the ceramic coating work done.   The Gtechniq was the brand of stuff, FYI.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

I think I just came in my shorts......

That baby definitely rates a solid 10 in the Hot Snatch Magnet category......

Screenshot_2021-01-17-20-06-00~2.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Burning Man said:

And BTW @billy backstay - that was immediately after I had the ceramic coating work done.   The Gtechniq was the brand of stuff, FYI.

Just saying.

Thanks Jeff!  When time allows I will wash and dry the car this week, and try the "last coat" brand ceramic final coat...  I don't have the spare time to spend a day doing clay bar paint correction, but the paint is not in bad shape, for a car that was not  garaged for it's first 3 or 4 years...  As evidenced by 6 or 8 dents in the horizontal surfaces, and totally shot windshield wipers, at 13,500 miles from baking in the sun.  The stealership paid the Dent Wizard to remove all the dents, and I got a new gearshift label plaque from Amazon, because the dealer wanted 290 bucks to change the gear shift plaque, which was deeply scratched.  

I will report back after I have completed this......  I may try the Gtechnig stuff next time if this product doesn't work.  It was top rated from a review online, that doesn't necessarily have any credibility.....

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Thanks Jeff!  When time allows I will wash and dry the car this week, and try the "last coat" brand ceramic final coat...  I don't have the spare time to spend a day doing clay bar paint correction, but the paint is not in bad shape, for a car that was not  garaged for it's first 3 or 4 years...  As evidenced by 6 or 8 dents in the horizontal surfaces, and totally shot windshield wipers, at 13,500 miles from baking in the sun.  The stealership paid the Dent Wizard to remove all the dents, and I got a new gearshift label plaque from Amazon, because the dealer wanted 290 bucks to change the gear shift plaque, which was deeply scratched.  

I will report back after I have completed this......  I may try the Gtechnig stuff next time if this product doesn't work.  It was top rated from a review online, that doesn't necessarily have any credibility.....

I look forward to seeing how the DIY stuff works.  If it's good, I may try it on the X.

3 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Toned down a little

ca0813-161480_1.jpg?1376611558000

That's a 190SL - that custom speedster is a 300SL

On 4/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, billy backstay said:

shit, it'll take less than an hour,  unless you have an early 70's charger with the huge hood..

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:20 AM, Burning Man said:

Just saying.

How did the ceramic finish hold up? It's expensive and looks great when it's done, but how long do you feel the "value" of the work has lasted. Asking for a "friend"...

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

How did the ceramic finish hold up? It's expensive and looks great when it's done, but how long do you feel the "value" of the work has lasted. Asking for a "friend"...

It seems to be holding up well.   I washed and chamoised dried the car yesterday, and the water beaded nicely, and good shine still showing.  What's expensive?  I imagine a high quality caranuba wax isn't much cheaper, and it's a helluva a lot more work to apply and wipe off. 

On 4/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, nacradriver said:

Define fail

Lets take a count here, Hope, Leslie, Robin, Samantha, Marifika, Gail, Sandi, Clair, and this one that went by the name of Suki.  That thing was a party of four wheels...

Oh!  CHP clocked me at 80 on the 101 between Salinas and King City.  Wrote me up for 65 when the limit was 55  - did me a BIG favor.

He probably wrote you up for 65 because he assumed his radar gun was out of calibration for showing your vehicle doing more than 65. He likely assumed it wasn't possible the VW Bus to break the mythical 65 mph VW barrier

You could really screw with his mind by swapping in a Porsche engine :D like: 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I know, it's not even a ragtop, but as I mentioned in my opening post, I'm a sucker for old Saabs.

Got this notification from Saabnet this AM.

1.jpg

1968 Saab 96 V4 Deluxe

https://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/9X.html#21060751091jbrav

I've heard of this mythical place called Iowa, I wonder where it is?

I had a similar 69 Model 96 back in the day.

enhance

I just wish he'd posted more pics.

Heavy sigh.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Point Break said:

I could be wrong (it was so long ago) but I thought it was GT rag top..........

MG BGT (ZV39982).

Cool modified B on Bring A Trailer....

Modified 1967 MG MGB 5-Speed

This 1967 MGB roadster is a right-hand-drive example that has been modified with fiberglass Sebring-style body panels and a supercharged General Motors EcoTec inline-four, which is linked with a five-speed manual transmission. It is finished in blue with a black soft top over a black interior fitted with seats sourced from a Mazda Miata, and additional equipment includes 15” Rota wheels, GAZ adjustable front coilovers, lowering springs, a front sway bar, Spax rear shocks, front disc brakes with cross-drilled rotors, AutoMeter gauges, and a Sony stereo. This MGB is now offered with a Pennsylvania title in the seller’s name.

The car has been fitted with fiberglass body panels, including widened fenders and a Sebring-style front valance. The factory rear bumper has been deleted, and the car was repainted its current shade of blue. Additional features include a black soft top and boot cover, three windshield wipers, dual side mirrors, and squared-off taillights. The windshield frame has been chromed, and stress cracks in the body are shown in the gallery.

Rota 15” wheels with metallic dark gray centers and polished lips are mounted with 205/50 Falken Azenis tires. Stopping power is provided by front disc brakes with cross-drilled rotors, and suspension components are said to include polyurethane bushings, GAZ adjustable coilovers, Fab-Tek dropped spindles, and a sway bar up front, along with 1″ lowering springs and Spax adjustable shocks out back.

The interior houses seats sourced from a Mazda Miata that have been reupholstered in black with gray fabric inserts along with replacement black door panels and carpeting. Carbon fiber trim accents the dashboard and center stack, and an aftermarket shift knob and a Sony stereo have also been added.

A leather-wrapped steering wheel fronts AutoMeter instrumentation housed in a carbon fiber panel and consists of a 160-mph speedometer, a 10k-rpm tachometer, and auxiliary gauges that measure oil pressure, water temperature, voltage, and fuel level.  The digital odometer shows 1,400 miles, though true mileage is unknown.

The replacement General Motors EcoTec inline-four is fitted with a supercharger and sends power to the rear wheels through an Aisin five-speed manual transmission and a 3.90:1 rear differential. Stainless steel headers and a custom exhaust have been added, along with an aluminum radiator, an electric cooling fan, and an Advance Auto Wire wiring harness.

Modified 1967 MG MGB 5-Speed

Auction ended yesterday, but doesn't say sold, so must have been a reserve on it?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-mg-mgb-30/

• 5 weeks later...