Non-lethal but immobilizing force from a distance -- Is science getting anywhere?

The scenario is too common--Bad Actor ("BA") is threatening and then assualting potential victim ("PV") and Cop comes on-scene.

The choices from a distance for cop are 'all or nothing", meaning shoot or don't shoot.  Either one could go horribly wrong.

Is there nothing resembling a sci-fi ray gun or focused temporary immobilizing force?  Yeah, I know, big joke, but it's not a joke if it could work some day.  Is there anything in the works?  Maybe a longer-distance taser, or a focused pepper spray beam?

This happened yesterday afternoon, amidst the Floyd case deliberations:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/us/ohio-columbus-police-shooting-15-year-old/index.html

"Good" shooting?  "Bad" shooting?  Knife-wielding female teen probably intending to stab ("cut") another teen?  Is there no way to stop BA from a distance short of putting a bullet into her? 

We just made the first successful drone flight on Mars despite the very thin atmosphere.  Yet we can't find a way to stop BA from a reasonable distance-off?  And subject to protocols so it doesn't get over-used. 

• Like 1

There's a number of non-lethal weapons available

AFAIK they still leave the target able to carry out -some- action, potentially killing their victim etc etc. The Taser is the closest thing to a disabling weapon, the Bolo shows promise though.

Does no good if the officer involved pulls his gun anyway, mistake or not.

- DSK

It is too bad this is the first line of defense for our peacekeepers. Does anyone here know why military weapons don't usually fire these kinds of rounds?

image.jpeg.0c743bae87295a127490cee29e9f3dd8.jpeg

•  

Man thinks 'cause he rules the earth he can do with it as he please
And if things don't change soon, he will
Oh, man has invented his doom
First step was touching the moon
Now, there's a woman on my block
She just sit there as the night grows still
She say who, gonna take away his license to kill?
Now, they take him, and they teach him, and they groom him for life
And they set him, on a path where he's bound to get ill
Then they bury him with stars
Sell his body like they do used cars
She just sit there facin' the hill
She say who gonna take away his license to kill?
Now, he's hell-bent for destruction, he's afraid and confused
And his brain has been mismanaged with great skill
All he believes are his eyes
And his eyes, they just tell him lies
But there's a woman on my block
Sitting there in a cold chill
Even noisemaker, spirit maker
Heartbreaker, backbreaker
Leave no stone unturned
May be an actor in a plot
That might be all that you got
'Til your error you clearly learn
Now he worships at an altar, of a stagnant pool
And when he sees his reflection, he's fulfilled
Oh, man is opposed to fair play
He wants it all and he wants it his way
She just sit there as the night grows still

So many negatives;

1. Would have to be sort of physically fit, (Lay off the donuts!)

2. Would be forced to actually interface with the community!  What talk to those underlings?! No way José.

3. Can't justify the cost saving i.e. A bike versus a souped up car.  

4. Have to learn that radio waves travel ever so much faster than that souped up car!!!

5  Worst of all; it would be harder to shoot someone you know.

6. Moving so slow I can't get the adrenalin rush to cloud my judgement.

1 hour ago, Voyageur said:

It is too bad this is the first line of defense for our peacekeepers. Does anyone here know why military weapons don't usually fire these kinds of rounds?

They don't feed reliably in many of the cheaper gov't-supplied semi-auto guns.

- DSK

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body in international warfare.

4 hours ago, Voyageur said:

Does anyone here know why military weapons don't usually fire these kinds of rounds?

Try the Law of Land Warfare 

and yeah, what just some guy wrote above. 

And relatedly, . . on April 19, 2021 at 5:36 pm. The New York Police Department has agreed to limit its use of sound cannons on crowds, ending a five-year legal battle over claims that the devices caused hearing damage, dizziness and migraines

Not sure what "limit" means however 

I had a GF whose mother fits the OP perfectly.... All she had to do was turn in to the driveway, or walk around a corner, and I froze solid. She was a witch of the 10th degree.

If we could have cloned her, and weaponized her, there would (first of all, be negative population growth) and absolutely no man getting near any woman for any reason ever. On the other hand, she would probably approve of men killing other men, as long as they then killed themselves instantly.

Vibratory ray gun, tuned for metal. Turns black crows to white (oops. inapt.)

TESTING THE "DISINTEGRATOR"

I had the good fortune to be present when this powerful engine of destruction was submitted to its first test. We had gone upon the roof of Mr. Edison's laboratory and the inventor held the little instrument, with its attached mirror, in his hand. We looked about for some object on which to try its powers. On a bare limb of a tree not far away, for it was late fall, sat a disconsolate crow.

"Good," said Mr. Edison, "that will do." He touched a button at the side of the instrument and a soft, whirring noise was heard. "Feathers," said Mr. Edison, "have a vibration period of three hundred and eighty-six million per second."

He adjusted the index as he spoke. Then, through a sighting tube, he aimed at the bird.

"Now watch," he said.

THE CROW'S FATE

Another soft whirr in the instrument, a momentary flash of light close around it, and, behold, the crow had turned from black to white!

"Its feathers are gone," said the inventor; "they have been dissipated into their constituent atoms. Now, we will finish the crow."

Instantly there was another adjustment of the index, another outshooting of vibratory force, a rapid up and down motion of the index to include a certain range of vibrations, and the crow itself was gone—vanished in empty space! There was the bare twig on which a moment before it had stood. Behind, in the sky, was the white cloud against which its black form had been sharply outlined, but there was no more crow.

Read this years ago. Found the passage at https://zapatopi.net/blog/?post=200511145800.edisons_conquest_of_mars

6 hours ago, Voyageur said:

Because caring for wounded took a lot more resources than burying bodies. Hence full metal jacket rounds.

In an urban society I for one do NOT want cops or anyone else firing rounds that can penetrate multiple walls or people after zipping through their target (assuming a hit in the first place).

A non-lethal disabling weapon would be a fine thing indeed. Firearms could then be restricted to a rapid response group rather than being everyday gear. But - doesn't seem to be on the horizon really.

FKT

FKT

6 hours ago, Voyageur said:

a bunch of these people out in the community, would be just fine. the dorks in war gear, do not help.

Bike cop takes to Twitter after being side-swiped by SUV, urges cyclists to  report bad drivers | The Star

A police officer should live amongst those he or she wishes to serve.

Community policing is what they call it. 
Have the police who serve in a community know the inhabitants personally and be of similar cultures.

Police officers should be required at their expense to be at least as well educated as a nurse or similar professions

And get rid of police Unions.

That would be a starting point.

• Like 1

Cops carry batons and are (or should be) trained to use them. Who amongst us couldn't knock a steak knife out of a teenage girls hand with one? break her arm? It will heal.

Don't have to be Chuck Norris for that.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Cops carry batons and are (or should be) trained to use them. Who amongst us couldn't knock a steak knife out of a teenage girls hand with one? break her arm? It will heal.

I keep an expandable tactical baton in my truck, just because.... And yes I have not only tried it on myself, but also tapped another person gently with it. It hurts.

7 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I keep an expandable tactical baton in my truck, just because.... And yes I have not only tried it on myself, but also tapped another person gently with it. It hurts.

Nttiawwt 

lol

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Teenage girl, most likely.

I did fencing for sport at university. Try that with a fencer and you'll end up perforated for sure. Even after 20 years my son, in his teens, with faster reflexes and longer reach, couldn't touch me if we were sparring with sticks or whatever. Muscle memory.

Rule no 1 of a knife fight - stay out of range.

FKT

• Like 1
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

About 10 years ago I had a "knife fight" using sharpie markers with a "master" that was training a group of us in basically MMA / TKD.  Neither one of us probably would have survived.