The official 2021 Tokyo Olympics thread

14 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Cool boats.   Backyard builders unite.

Actually they were arguably the original SMOD. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JimC said:

Actually they were arguably the original SMOD. 

I always thought they were plywood layups.    Early GRP’s.   

Great history.   Uffa’s first four hulls named “Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum.”    

• Like 1

Are the Olympics still a sure thing?  I think Japan has avoided any large surges due to be an isolated island.  However, I read that only a very small percentage of the Japanese have been vaccinated to date.  Even if it is only athletes and no spectators, I wonder how they feel about bringing in large numbers of people from around the world.

2 minutes ago, torrid said:

Are the Olympics still a sure thing?  I think Japan has avoided any large surges due to be an isolated island.  However, I read that only a very small percentage of the Japanese have been vaccinated to date.  Even if it is only athletes and no spectators, I wonder how they feel about bringing in large numbers of people from around the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/04/23/990133421/japan-declares-3rd-state-of-emergency-3-months-ahead-of-olympics

3 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

They look like baby Thistles.

There is a direct lineage.

Sandy Douglas, Thistle designer, sailed and built International 14's prior to WW-2. One of these 14 designs was from Uffa Fox (Firefly designer) and this was the 14 of Sandy Douglas's focus. I believe they were called One Design 14's (they were also hot molded plywood; a few are still knocking around). 

• Like 1
On 4/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, blunderfull said:

Those pesky New Zealanders took a flier in one race? 

Helmer Pederson and Earle Wells won with 16, DNF, 1, 3, 1, 1, 4
Whereas Keith Musto and Tony Morgan got 8, 1, 2, 5, 6, 2, 11,

(Buddy Melges and William Bentsen got bronze.)

On 4/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, Gouvernail said:

Olympics?? Isn’t that the two weeks of little girls doing gymnastics with a few minutes of swimming races in between?? 

The Radials/ILCA 6 promises to be interesting

Anne-Marie Rindom (Denmark) vs Marit Bouwmeester (The Netherlands).

• Like 1
On 4/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, Wavedancer II said:

Agreed. Bouwmeester has been ahead for a while, but Rindom showed some real strengths. The final race (see video above) showed Rindom being very impressive.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:20 PM, Wavedancer II said:

The Radials/ILCA 6 promises to be interesting

Who is in the running for a medal in the ILCA 7?

• Like 1

RIght now, I would put my yen on Philipp Buhl.

He just won an Olympic qualifier off the coast of Portugal and the 2020 Laser Worlds.

Note ;) that he sailed a 'real' Laser in the Portugal event. The great majority of competitors had ILCA sails. 

Which proves....

Absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Soooo does the US have a men's 49er team going or no?

On 4/23/2021 at 7:08 AM, tillerman said:

Bring back the Firefly.

terrible dinghies, impossible to roll tack

5 hours ago, crashtack said:

I haven't been following the USA Olympic team activity closely but it seems that USA failed to qualify for a slot in the men's 49er event. 

Is that the latest status?

According to the usual sources  it's all the fault of the women and the Finn class.

Looks like the only countries that qualified to sail in every event are Japan (as host nation) and Great Britain (because they are better than everybody else.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

Bring back the Firefly.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 1:51 AM, crashtack said:

Nevin Snow and Dane Wilson on 49er are going afaik. 

The be on the safe side, US Sailing has selected the Catalina 22 for the new double-handed near-shore event in Paris 2024.  Local hacks at every shitty boat club in the Ozarks can now begin their training program with generous assistance from Boat US, West Marine, and of course Sailing Anarchy.

imagescatalina-22-used-boat-sailplan.2732.jpg

• Like 2

Here's the World Sailing's Events committee meeting earlier today.

Olympic events start being discussed at 22:00, previous are procedural, including conflicts and abstentions from voting.

Splitting the 470 by gender won out over splitting the kite by gender: 7 votes to 6.

"Submission M01-21 received ten votes and Submission M02-21 received seven. This means that the Equipment Committee propose the Individual Men’s and Women’s Kiteboarding Events (Formula Kite Class) as the first alternative event and the Individual Men’s and Women’s Two Person Dinghy Events (470 Class) as the second alternative event."

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/05/11/day-2-for-world-sailing-mid-year-meeting/

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Olympics will go ahead as the Liberal Democratic Party is neither, and has a long tradition of not giving a rat's ass about public opinion. 

4 hours ago, spankoka said:

I think the Olympics will go ahead as the Liberal Democratic Party is neither, and has a long tradition of not giving a rat's ass about public opinion. 

And let's not forget that Japan cannot cancel the Olympics because under the contract they have with the IOC, only the IOC can cancel. The penalties are huge if Japan tries to do it.

• Like 1

If the Beijing Winter Olympics gets boycotted, the IOC's problem is going to be that no community will ever want to bid for the Olympics ever again. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, crashtack said:

...which really sucks for them. Imagine being strung along for over a year thinking you might be going to the olympics just for everything to get shut down a couple of months before the games. tragic

They would have known.

"...the U.S. will not compete in the Men's 49er event after narrowly missing national qualification in that class."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/237876/Tokyo-2020-US-Olympic-Sailing-Team-roster

1 hour ago, crashtack said:

...which really sucks for them. Imagine being strung along for over a year thinking you might be going to the olympics just for everything to get shut down a couple of months before the games. tragic

USA failed to qualify for the Men's Skiff event at this Olympic Games.  This is not some last minute surprise decision.

It's nothing unusual. The only countries, apart from the host country, who qualified to send sailors to all 10 events were Great Britain and Spain.

Looking on the bright side, USA is first in line to claim a forfeited spot of any country who decides not to send a 49er team.

1 hour ago, Bruce Hudson said:

They would have known.

"...the U.S. will not compete in the Men's 49er event after narrowly missing national qualification in that class."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/237876/Tokyo-2020-US-Olympic-Sailing-Team-roster

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

USA failed to qualify for the Men's Skiff event at this Olympic Games.  This is not some last minute surprise decision.

It's nothing unusual. The only countries, apart from the host country, who qualified to send sailors to all 10 events were Great Britain and Spain.

Looking on the bright side, USA is first in line to claim a forfeited spot of any country who decides not to send a 49er team.

They were the first on the waitlist to go if any nation dropped out which, considering the present situation, wouldn't be that huge of a surprise. They've been training duos with Ian Barrows + crew for a while in anticipation of this.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, spankoka said:

If the Beijing Winter Olympics gets boycotted, the IOC's problem is going to be that no community will ever want to bid for the Olympics ever again. 

I dunno, might you be putting to high a value on economic common sense and too little value on local government executives wanting to strut their stuff on a bigger stage?

• Like 2