The official 2021 Tokyo Olympics thread

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Totally misses the point. Yes, the athletes can make their own decisions. However, by any definition, the Olympics has all the characteristics of a "super spreader" event and it is the worst type

Just to reinforce Phil S's comments, that extends way beyond the major cities and towns. Like someone has said about the UK, nearly every river and bay along the East Coast of Australia will have

What is missing from your figures is that for 2000, the lottery money had made only a small impression. It started to flow in 1997, and the total for that cycle was GBP5m, which at the time didn't mak

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Cool boats.   Backyard builders unite.

Actually they were arguably the original SMOD. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JimC said:

Actually they were arguably the original SMOD. 

I always thought they were plywood layups.    Early GRP’s.   

Great history.   Uffa’s first four hulls named “Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum.”    

• Like 1

Are the Olympics still a sure thing?  I think Japan has avoided any large surges due to be an isolated island.  However, I read that only a very small percentage of the Japanese have been vaccinated to date.  Even if it is only athletes and no spectators, I wonder how they feel about bringing in large numbers of people from around the world.

2 minutes ago, torrid said:

Are the Olympics still a sure thing?  I think Japan has avoided any large surges due to be an isolated island.  However, I read that only a very small percentage of the Japanese have been vaccinated to date.  Even if it is only athletes and no spectators, I wonder how they feel about bringing in large numbers of people from around the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/04/23/990133421/japan-declares-3rd-state-of-emergency-3-months-ahead-of-olympics

3 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

They look like baby Thistles.

There is a direct lineage.

Sandy Douglas, Thistle designer, sailed and built International 14's prior to WW-2. One of these 14 designs was from Uffa Fox (Firefly designer) and this was the 14 of Sandy Douglas's focus. I believe they were called One Design 14's (they were also hot molded plywood; a few are still knocking around). 

• Like 1
On 4/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, blunderfull said:

Those pesky New Zealanders took a flier in one race? 

Helmer Pederson and Earle Wells won with 16, DNF, 1, 3, 1, 1, 4
Whereas Keith Musto and Tony Morgan got 8, 1, 2, 5, 6, 2, 11,

(Buddy Melges and William Bentsen got bronze.)

On 4/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, Gouvernail said:

Olympics?? Isn’t that the two weeks of little girls doing gymnastics with a few minutes of swimming races in between?? 

The Radials/ILCA 6 promises to be interesting

Anne-Marie Rindom (Denmark) vs Marit Bouwmeester (The Netherlands).

• Like 1
On 4/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, Wavedancer II said:

Agreed. Bouwmeester has been ahead for a while, but Rindom showed some real strengths. The final race (see video above) showed Rindom being very impressive.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:20 PM, Wavedancer II said:

The Radials/ILCA 6 promises to be interesting

Who is in the running for a medal in the ILCA 7?

• Like 1

RIght now, I would put my yen on Philipp Buhl.

He just won an Olympic qualifier off the coast of Portugal and the 2020 Laser Worlds.

Note ;) that he sailed a 'real' Laser in the Portugal event. The great majority of competitors had ILCA sails. 

Which proves....

Absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

Soooo does the US have a men's 49er team going or no?

On 4/23/2021 at 7:08 AM, tillerman said:

Bring back the Firefly.

terrible dinghies, impossible to roll tack

5 hours ago, crashtack said:

I haven't been following the USA Olympic team activity closely but it seems that USA failed to qualify for a slot in the men's 49er event. 

Is that the latest status?

According to the usual sources  it's all the fault of the women and the Finn class.

Looks like the only countries that qualified to sail in every event are Japan (as host nation) and Great Britain (because they are better than everybody else.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

Bring back the Firefly.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 1:51 AM, crashtack said:

Nevin Snow and Dane Wilson on 49er are going afaik. 

Here's the World Sailing's Events committee meeting earlier today.

Olympic events start being discussed at 22:00, previous are procedural, including conflicts and abstentions from voting.

Splitting the 470 by gender won out over splitting the kite by gender: 7 votes to 6.

"Submission M01-21 received ten votes and Submission M02-21 received seven. This means that the Equipment Committee propose the Individual Men’s and Women’s Kiteboarding Events (Formula Kite Class) as the first alternative event and the Individual Men’s and Women’s Two Person Dinghy Events (470 Class) as the second alternative event."

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/05/11/day-2-for-world-sailing-mid-year-meeting/

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Olympics will go ahead as the Liberal Democratic Party is neither, and has a long tradition of not giving a rat's ass about public opinion. 

4 hours ago, spankoka said:

I think the Olympics will go ahead as the Liberal Democratic Party is neither, and has a long tradition of not giving a rat's ass about public opinion. 

And let's not forget that Japan cannot cancel the Olympics because under the contract they have with the IOC, only the IOC can cancel. The penalties are huge if Japan tries to do it.

• Like 1

If the Beijing Winter Olympics gets boycotted, the IOC's problem is going to be that no community will ever want to bid for the Olympics ever again. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, crashtack said:

...which really sucks for them. Imagine being strung along for over a year thinking you might be going to the olympics just for everything to get shut down a couple of months before the games. tragic

They would have known.

"...the U.S. will not compete in the Men's 49er event after narrowly missing national qualification in that class."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/237876/Tokyo-2020-US-Olympic-Sailing-Team-roster

1 hour ago, crashtack said:

...which really sucks for them. Imagine being strung along for over a year thinking you might be going to the olympics just for everything to get shut down a couple of months before the games. tragic

USA failed to qualify for the Men's Skiff event at this Olympic Games.  This is not some last minute surprise decision.

It's nothing unusual. The only countries, apart from the host country, who qualified to send sailors to all 10 events were Great Britain and Spain.

Looking on the bright side, USA is first in line to claim a forfeited spot of any country who decides not to send a 49er team.

1 hour ago, Bruce Hudson said:

They would have known.

"...the U.S. will not compete in the Men's 49er event after narrowly missing national qualification in that class."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/237876/Tokyo-2020-US-Olympic-Sailing-Team-roster

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

USA failed to qualify for the Men's Skiff event at this Olympic Games.  This is not some last minute surprise decision.

It's nothing unusual. The only countries, apart from the host country, who qualified to send sailors to all 10 events were Great Britain and Spain.

Looking on the bright side, USA is first in line to claim a forfeited spot of any country who decides not to send a 49er team.

They were the first on the waitlist to go if any nation dropped out which, considering the present situation, wouldn't be that huge of a surprise. They've been training duos with Ian Barrows + crew for a while in anticipation of this.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, spankoka said:

If the Beijing Winter Olympics gets boycotted, the IOC's problem is going to be that no community will ever want to bid for the Olympics ever again. 

I dunno, might you be putting to high a value on economic common sense and too little value on local government executives wanting to strut their stuff on a bigger stage?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Well, all sports are overlapped in times, and there's only one NBC Olympics channel. 

Gosh I wish we had a computer based thing where I can have infinite channels, so if archery overlaps with sailing I can show both at the same time without too much hassle! 

1 hour ago, martin 'hoff said:

Well, all sports are overlapped in times, and there's only one NBC Olympics channel. 

Gosh I wish we had a computer based thing where I can have infinite channels, so if archery overlaps with sailing I can show both at the same time without too much hassle! 

On NBC you will get a couple of minutes a day of sailing "coverage' with commentary by someone who knows nothing about sailing.

On the other hand we might get lucky and have this guy again.

• Like 2

Don't care at all about Olympics. Dangerous money grab in middle of pandemic. F you IOC and WS!

2 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I believe Gary Jobson will be doing the commentating. I heard this on Sailing World's "Around The Sailing World" series

That's good. But he's not as funny as the Irish dude.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, Wess said:

Don't care at all about Olympics. Dangerous money grab in middle of pandemic. F you IOC and WS!

Totally agree that it is crazy holding the Olympics mid pandemic , and I know you don't like WS, but why are you calling them out. They aren't involved in any decisons about whether to hold events or not.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tillerman said:

practice sails?

441539940_sailstokyo.thumb.jpg.c9beed8666de8de62d635d8cbf6de317.jpg

No, pics of an adjacent mixed fleet weekend regatta got mixed in with your Olympic prep pictures!

So we've got athletes in the village isolating as a result of covid contacts on they plane. How many will miss their events during competition? Only time will tell.

2020/21 will be forever one of the comedy events.

Stupid fucking IOC.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bored Stiff said:

It will be interesting to see what language the commentators and press releases  use. My guess is the word Laser will not be used at all. 

For what it's worth...

Results on Google on search for "Olympics Tokyo Laser news" -  70,100

Results on Google on search for "Olympics Tokyo ILCA news" - 2,120

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tillerman said:

For what it's worth...

Results on Google on search for "Olympics Tokyo Laser news" -  70,100

Results on Google on search for "Olympics Tokyo ILCA news" - 2,120

Actually, of course, they are still Lasers in every sense of the word in Japan.  

• Like 4
5 hours ago, European Bloke said:

So we've got athletes in the village isolating as a result of covid contacts on they plane. How many will miss their events during competition? Only time will tell.

2020/21 will be forever one of the comedy events.

Stupid fucking IOC.

The athletes support the IOC decision to proceed. 80% of the athletes have been vaccinated. The remaining 20% knew the risk they were taking choosing not to be vaccinated and if they miss their events, it is as a result of their decision.  As long as a vaccinated athlete tests negative, prior to their event, they can participate.  Even the unvaccinated athletes are reasonably secure because they are tending to self isolate in the village.

• Like 1

The sailors presumably don't have to worry about the village. They are perhaps fortunate that the Odaiba marina venue was cancelled, and they went back to the 1964 venue. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, spankoka said:

The sailors presumably don't have to worry about the village. They are perhaps fortunate that the Odaiba marina venue was cancelled, and they went back to the 1964 venue. 

sailing falls into the category of very easy to social distance sports. tough one to go to the olympics, and go isolate ina  satellite venue miles form the main action. i suspect many will take the route of cautios pre event, bonkers once finished.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tokyo-olympics-2021/antisex-beds-160k-condoms-not-for-use-tokyo-tackles-athlete-intimacy-amid-covid-fears/news-story/bde84dcefbc8e7b2cbd5dda6a72173ca 

I just hope the Olympians enjoy the Golden-Gai, and give Kabukicho a wide berth! The Roppongi scene will be lively, but it always is. A Nigerian weightlifter has already gone AWOL to test his luck in the underground employment market. 

4 hours ago, IPLore said:

The athletes support the IOC decision to proceed. 80% of the athletes have been vaccinated. The remaining 20% knew the risk they were taking choosing not to be vaccinated and if they miss their events, it is as a result of their decision.  As long as a vaccinated athlete tests negative, prior to their event, they can participate.  Even the unvaccinated athletes are reasonably secure because they are tending to self isolate in the village.

You may be vaccinated, but a load of vaccinated people have tested positive. If you test positive during the games you well miss your event.

If you've been in contact with someone who tests positive you may get told to isolate. You may then miss your event 

If you don't follow the covid rules they'll kick you out of the country.

Vaccinated athletes will miss their events.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, European Bloke said:

You may be vaccinated, but a load of vaccinated people have tested positive. If you test positive during the games you well miss your event.

If you've been in contact with someone who tests positive you may get told to isolate. You may then miss your event 

If you don't follow the covid rules they'll kick you out of the country.

Vaccinated athletes will miss their events.

Can you imagine the outcry from the kiwis on the AC forum if Peter Burling is forced to miss the 49er finals.  It will almost be worth it.

10 hours ago, IPLore said:

Totally misses the point.

Yes, the athletes can make their own decisions. However, by any definition, the Olympics has all the characteristics of a "super spreader" event and it is the worst type of super spreader, because it is international. There are a number of concerns the experts have, or at least the experts who aren't on the IOC payroll! To start with, don't think there will not be lots of Covid cases. As we learnt in Australia, you can test negative before departure and on arrival, only to be positive soon after. It is inconceivable that there will not be some spread of the virus at this event and it has already started. Bringing together people from all around the world with different strains of the virus increases the chance of new variants forming. In the same way as some will bring the virus with them, some will leave with the virus and again, as Australia has found out (an NZ), it is impossible to prevent returning travellers from spreading the virus.

So while the athletes might know the risks and be prepared to take those risks, why should the rest of the world be subject to increased risk. I haven't heard 1 epidemiologist suggest it is a good idea. The best I have heard is IOC paid experts saying it is an acceptable risk, while the vast majority I have heard say it is totally unacceptable. My non expert view is that it is totally unacceptable to risk setting the pandemic back globally for an event like the Olympics. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, SimonN said:

Yes, the athletes can make their own decisions. However, by any definition, the Olympics has all the characteristics of a "super spreader" event and it is the worst type of super spreader, because it is international. There are a number of concerns the experts have, or at least the experts who aren't on the IOC payroll! To start with, don't think there will not be lots of Covid cases. As we learnt in Australia, you can test negative before departure and on arrival, only to be positive soon after. It is inconceivable that there will not be some spread of the virus at this event and it has already started. Bringing together people from all around the world with different strains of the virus increases the chance of new variants forming. In the same way as some will bring the virus with them, some will leave with the virus and again, as Australia has found out (an NZ), it is impossible to prevent returning travellers from spreading the virus.

So while the athletes might know the risks and be prepared to take those risks, why should the rest of the world be subject to increased risk. I haven't heard 1 epidemiologist suggest it is a good idea. The best I have heard is IOC paid experts saying it is an acceptable risk, while the vast majority I have heard say it is totally unacceptable. My non expert view is that it is totally unacceptable to risk setting the pandemic back globally for an event like the Olympics. 

Amazing! How many innocent people will die because of the IOC's selfishness?

7 hours ago, SimonN said:

I was responding to a point about athletes missing events.   

There has been a lot written about how herd immunity kicking in at 75% vaccinated. If the IOC is being truthful about 80% of athletes getting vaccinated then this should be different from prior super spreader events.

However I am very skeptical of IOC PR numbers .