The official 2021 Tokyo Olympics thread

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Totally misses the point. Yes, the athletes can make their own decisions. However, by any definition, the Olympics has all the characteristics of a "super spreader" event and it is the worst type

Just to reinforce Phil S's comments, that extends way beyond the major cities and towns. Like someone has said about the UK, nearly every river and bay along the East Coast of Australia will have

What is missing from your figures is that for 2000, the lottery money had made only a small impression. It started to flow in 1997, and the total for that cycle was GBP5m, which at the time didn't mak

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Tropical Madness said:

Gonna be howling from monday... heavy crews will have a significant edge!

Where do you get that forecast? Both Windy and WindAlert suggest 10-16 every day from various directions.

23 hours ago, DaveK said:

Hopefully we can stream it if it's already happened as well

Worked for me watching the men's road race this morning instead of overnight, so hopefully will work for all the sailing too.

Double post, sorry

Edited by TheDragon
51 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Where do you get that forecast? Both Windy and WindAlert suggest 10-16 every day from various directions.

I don't have a forecast however yesterday while watching the rowing heats the commentator mentioned the rowing had been brought forward a few days due to a typhoon arriving Monday...

13 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

what's everyone's predictions for who will be the Olympic champions?

Radial, NED

Laser, AUS

49er, NZ

Finn,NZ

470, NZ

Womens 470, ESP

FX, ESP

Nacra, AUS

Being an Aussie I wanna see that Nacra result, but I worry that the rest of the world moved on a bit while we were locked down? Time will tell, but there have been a lot of world class events and training that the Aussies have not been at. That said the kiwi 420 crew killed it after a long break from competition. Hopefully the AUS Nacra crew can emulate.

13 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Radial, DEN

Laser, Cyprus

49er, Croatia

Finn, GBR

Men’s 470, Spain

Womens 470, France

FX, DEN

Nacra, GBR

Just paid £6.99 to subscribe to Eurosport etc for a month, and, brilliant, great footage of the races, start to finish, and no mind numbing shouty cliche repeating wankers commentary, already looking forward to tomorrows show, and can't wait for the Finn Finale.   Thanks Tokyo

Watched the Radials yesterday live on 7plus (for Aussies), was actually enjoyable despite the light winds. Very close racing with numerous position changes, plenty of tension.

• Like 1

The Norwegian girl showing that her result in Melbourne was not just one lucky regatta.  She has come from midfleet to a front of the fleet sailor in the last 18 months. Impressive.

Meanwhile no love lost between Camboni and Badloe in the windsurfer class.

Badloe was leading the regatta by 1 point from Camboni but Camboni protests Badloe for not leaing enough room at the windward mark.  Badloe finished 2nd in that race and Camboni 3rd.  Badloe was chucked so now Camboni is leading the regatta and Badloe in 3rd with 5 points to make up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Meanwhile no love lost between Camboni and Badloe in the windsurfer class.

Badloe was leading the regatta by 1 point from Camboni but Camboni protests Badloe for not leaing enough room at the windward mark.  Badloe finished 2nd in that race and Camboni 3rd.  Badloe was chucked so now Camboni is leading the regatta and Badloe in 3rd with 5 points to make up.

It's tough at the top!

4 hours ago, gr8_Lakes_vibe said:

Ouch. I'm not big on flogging the US team for bad results, but how does this happen to a veteran of two Olympic regattas? image.thumb.png.a9c7798430daa64c86c12cbb4af17e90.png

"It ain't over till it's over." - Yogi Berra

1 minute ago, gr8_Lakes_vibe said:

Watched it in real time, USA had a nice gap to leeward, bow forward towards the boat end with ~5 seconds and just punched out too early, you could see it from the heli shot.

Hate it when that happens.

6 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

The Norwegian girl showing that her result in Melbourne was not just one lucky regatta.  She has come from midfleet to a front of the fleet sailor in the last 18 months. Impressive.

I was more than a little annoyed that the day 2 stream I was watching just happened to be showing commercials when she took the lead on what I believe was the first downwind.

25 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

I was more than a little annoyed that the day 2 stream I was watching just happened to be showing commercials when she took the lead on what I believe was the first downwind.

which stream are you using? I cannot get streaming at all.

^I believe it is sort of a generic Xfinity Olympics stream, the 1st time I tried it a message came up telling me I had 30 mins on a free trial, since I'm a customer that was easy to fix.

(Just as well, haven't a clue what my actual Comcast password is!)

9 hours ago, gr8_Lakes_vibe said:

Ouch. I'm not big on flogging the US team for bad results, but how does this happen to a veteran of two Olympic regattas? image.thumb.png.a9c7798430daa64c86c12cbb4af17e90.png

Seems to be shifty conditions with wind coming off the land, there's been some big gains/losses upwind in other races.

No doubt the first four races were tricky as hell- look at the throwout scores of the top 5. Yet with the exception of IRL (32nd), none of the other medal contenders are out of the top 11. Funny how the best are able to manage risk and keep some consistency. No other sailor with USA's experience and abilities are having such a bad start. Zero chance at a medal now, very slim chance of making the top 10. My question is how that happens.

I believe Paige finished inside the top 10 in the race she was very barely over in. I know I couldn’t sail a Laser anywhere near as well as her!!

This has been written about plenty before, and is a hot topic every 4 years or so…summary below:
The teams with the best chances of medalling have training partners that could be at the games, top coaching, and deep budgets supported by their national sailing bodies. That isn’t generally the case with the U.S Team; budgets tend to limit how many international events our athletes attend, and our competition is pretty stacked with Worlds experience from a very young age due to the structured development programs available within their countries.

I know the Nacra side well, and it’s going to be a tough battle between ITA, GBR, AUS, and ARG. These teams have the above recipe pretty well nailed. A few other teams are in with an outside chance in this fleet; anything can happen and at this level anyone can win a race and pull off an upset.

Rooting for as many medals as the USA team can manage to pull off!!

43 minutes ago, gr8_Lakes_vibe said:

No doubt the first four races were tricky as hell- look at the throwout scores of the top 5. Yet with the exception of IRL (32nd), none of the other medal contenders are out of the top 11. Funny how the best are able to manage risk and keep some consistency. No other sailor with USA's experience and abilities are having such a bad start. Zero chance at a medal now, very slim chance of making the top 10. My question is how that happens.

How does this happen? 

Paige had a few bad races.

She is still a better sailor than 99.99% of the people who read this thread.

And she will be a Master next year. 

• Like 3

Race 1 for the Finns showed a 47 degree RH shift on the second work......and the race committee let it go......that'll mix it up a bit!! I know it's just another regatta...and that we're supposed to suck it up and just sail....but this spot is another crap location that has massive tide and typhoon effects. Nothing says top level sailing like port tack starts!! Just wish we had less "wild card" factors in these events. Interesting to watch the 49ers abandon a race after 2.5 legs because of massive shifts.....anyway, probably time for someone to say something about "the cream always rises....blah blah...."

One day the IOC will give up the charade and admit that this event is just "sport as entertainment" to be marketed. At least then we'll have the chance to watch surfing in an industrial surf park, skateboarding in California, sailing in Auckland....all packaged for online consumption....selling coke and maccas. rant over (for now ;-) )

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Couta said:

Race 1 for the Finns showed a 47 degree RH shift on the second work......and the race committee let it go......that'll mix it up a bit!! I know it's just another regatta...and that we're supposed to suck it up and just sail....but this spot is another crap location that has massive tide and typhoon effects. Nothing says top level sailing like port tack starts!! Just wish we had less "wild card" factors in these events. Interesting to watch the 49ers abandon a race after 2.5 legs because of massive shifts.....anyway, probably time for someone to say something about "the cream always rises....blah blah...."

That was big yeah. Strangely enough, same top3 in both races though.

I suppose every channel's broadcast is the same in terms of what they show from the races running alongside each other. Is there a way to figure out which events will be televised tomorrow?

sailing is hit and miss on our local broadcaster, about 12 channels but who knows when.

so it is over to the pirates we go, https://www.olympicstreams.me

what works here is, once past the pop ups there is actually so much more variety out there.

hopefully by paris there will be proper streaming and all the stuff that is actually getting televised can be available.

not sure if mentioned before, but live tracking is geo blocked too.

https://tokyo2020.sailing.org/multimedia/tracking/ find the available countries here.

but the us one seems to work for me

https://www.ussailing.org/olympics/tokyo/

i know it's all about the $$$$ but really pisses me off when something like the olympics is so restrictive and hard to follow

I've often been critical of the standard of Olympic coverage here since returning to Oz 20 years ago. But this year, with our timezone being so close to the event and the live streaming offered by our broadcaster, it means that for maybe 10 hours a day I can log into the website or smart TV and choose to watch maybe 20 different sports live and free.

I think it's been a real winner!

18 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

I've often been critical of the standard of Olympic coverage here since returning to Oz 20 years ago. But this year, with our timezone being so close to the event and the live streaming offered by our broadcaster, it means that for maybe 10 hours a day I can log into the website or smart TV and choose to watch maybe 20 different sports live and free.

that's the way it should be.

(and why i have a vpn and know what 7plus is)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, barney said:

I suppose every channel's broadcast is the same in terms of what they show from the races running alongside each other. Is there a way to figure out which events will be televised tomorrow?

I was wondering the same. Does anybody know what they will cover tomorrow? I would happily set the alarm, if Nacras are covered.

33 minutes ago, 17mika said:

I was wondering the same. Does anybody know what they will cover tomorrow? I would happily set the alarm, if Nacras are covered.

B86F2768-B710-4675-AA16-1D322D027F51.jpeg

World Sailing obliged to use “Laser” instead of ILCA on their broadcasts? Haha.    

After all that legal b.s. it’s still a Laser!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Page is currently in 39th overall, ouch!

and just got another UFD, WTF?

With such a long racing resume, Page should know that to win the race you don't need to win the start. 

6 hours ago, blunderfull said:

World Sailing obliged to use “Laser” instead of ILCA on their broadcasts? Haha.    

After all that legal b.s. it’s still a Laser!

Boats built in Japan by the owner of the trademark rights for Japan. Of course they are Lasers.

12 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Yep, except there's no sailing replays. Not even highlights.

• Like 1

Nacra Race 2 was spectacular, right on the edge. Wind was 12 rising to 15 by the end and the sea state was "rough". Go Santiago and Cecilia!! Sadly CBC in Canada doesn't seem to be carrying commentary for sailing, which I know isn't always the best but the rest of the world feeds in other sports have had more sports knowledge and less pro broadcast experience, so the kind of folks we like.  NB The  Olympics.com results don't show the cumulative scores through all the races, except right now for the N17. Hope they fix that or how will we be able to prematurely argue about the brilliance of the NZ 49er team, over on AC Anarchy?

On 7/24/2021 at 10:32 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

Radial, NED

Laser, AUS

49er, NZ

Finn,NZ

470, NZ

Womens 470, ESP

FX, ESP

Nacra, AUS

No gold for GBR?

Brave call.

51 minutes ago, AnIdiot said:

No gold for GBR?

Brave call.

Finn GBR

49er FX  GBR

Nacra  AUS

Mens Windsurfer NED

Womens Windsurfer CHN

49er  NZL (although he needs to get going)

Women 470  GBR

Men 470 AUS

Laser AUS  (although rooting for CYP)

Laser Radial .....not sure , NED has been so dominant historically but the Danish girl is looking so good.

The pumping is a blight on the sport.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cheating cunts were sculling the rudders at the same time.

The N17's are the only class I don't want to throw a vase at the screen while watching.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Finn GBR

49er FX  GBR

Nacra  AUS

Mens Windsurfer NED

Womens Windsurfer CHN

Women 470  GBR

Men 470 AUS

Laser Radial .....not sure , NED has been so dominant historically but the Danish girl is looking so good.

Waterhouse is not doing that flash for AUS in the N17's and I'm wondering if the 470's team is getting old.

1 hour ago, random. said:

The pumping is a blight on the sport.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cheating cunts were sculling the rudders at the same time.

The N17's are the only class I don't want to throw a vase at the screen while watching.

Apparently it makes the sport more athletic...

In reality I think it's an admission that they can't control the cheats, so at least level the playing field.

5 hours ago, barney said:

even the pros don't make that Nacra 17 look easy in these conditions going downwind

It looks damn hard. They've chosen to semi-foil in the downwinds, the waves look massive (for this kind of boat). That tells you something -- they could be doing 2-3 knots faster, and a few degrees deeper, in the downwinds, at the risk of ventilation and pitchpoling.

@random. - I think Waterhouse/Darmanin are doing great - 2nd/3rd tied on points with Germany. The top of the fleet is super tight. Lange/Carranza blinked on the finish of the 2nd race and lost 3 places.

Commentary is awful. Not helpful to non-sailors, not helpful to sailors. Argh.

20 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

It looks damn hard. They've chosen to semi-foil in the downwinds, the waves look massive (for this kind of boat). That tells you something -- they could be doing 2-3 knots faster, and a few degrees deeper, in the downwinds, at the risk of ventilation and pitchpoling.

@random. 

Commentary is awful. Not helpful to non-sailors, not helpful to sailors. Argh.

I understand the semi foiling part, not sure about the luffing of the kite though. Are they worried about crossing the waves at a higher angle?

Europsort's commentary is quite good.

18 minutes ago, barney said:

I understand the semi foiling part, not sure about the luffing of the kite though. Are they worried about crossing the waves at a higher angle?

N17 kites are pretty flat (designed for the foiling mode), so it's easy to stall them. Crews learn run on an ease/trim cycle to keep flow attached on the leeward side. And it's pretty punishing if you go too deep. In any case, if you go too deep or over-trim, flow detaches the boat stops and you have to point pretty high - almost reaching - to get going again. Might look like luffing.

6 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Finn GBR

49er FX  GBR

Nacra  AUS

Mens Windsurfer NED

Womens Windsurfer CHN

Women 470  GBR

Men 470 AUS

That’s cheating doing it halfway through the event!

17 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Current positions of the GBR teams...

208053944_ScreenShot2021-07-28at4_15_07PM.thumb.png.359d186c9a7e29fb37c8bc8bf945d6b5.png

Giles has certainly not been put out to pasture. Everything is still wide open with 6 more races and a medal round and I would expect the historic podium Finnsters to be out swinging.

8 hours ago, European Bloke said:

In reality I think it's an admission that they can't control the cheats, so at least level the playing field.

I came to the same conclusion, about why it is unrestricted.  Impossible to enforce consistently.

I see how the argument for 'more athletic' can be made, but it's total and utter bullshit and makes the sport look shit.  I can't and won't watch it anymore.

7 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

@random. - I think Waterhouse/Darmanin are doing great - 2nd/3rd tied on points with Germany. The top of the fleet is super tight. Lange/Carranza blinked on the finish of the 2nd race and lost 3 places.

Yeah well that's better then I thought.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:03 PM, maxstaylock said:

Just paid £6.99 to subscribe to Eurosport etc for a month, and, brilliant, great footage of the races, start to finish, and no mind numbing shouty cliche repeating wankers commentary, already looking forward to tomorrows show, and can't wait for the Finn Finale.   Thanks Tokyo

We got the Eurosport 4k channel as a free add on from our isp, it’s great B)

On 7/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, Bored Stiff said:

Radial, DEN 1

Laser, Cyprus 1

49er, Croatia 13

Finn, GBR 4

Men’s 470, Spain 3

Womens 470, France 2

FX, DEN 4

Nacra, GBR 4

Apart from Croatia for the 49er I think I’m doing okay so far :)

50 minutes ago, random. said:

I came to the same conclusion, about why it is unrestricted.  Impossible to enforce consistently.

I see how the argument for 'more athletic' can be made, but it's total and utter bullshit and makes the sport look shit.  I can't and won't watch it anymore.

As a competent dingy sailor who has only raced F18s recently, can you expand on this pumping issue? I recall in the old days you weren't supposed to pump the sail, so are you saying in 470 and Laser and even the skiffs that they are now doing this with abandon?  Is that just in lighter winds? 

9 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

As a competent dingy sailor who has only raced F18s recently, can you expand on this pumping issue? I recall in the old days you weren't supposed to pump the sail, so are you saying in 470 and Laser and even the skiffs that they are now doing this with abandon?  Is that just in lighter winds? 

Your question means that you aren't watching the games.

At the start, if Code Flag Zero is flying (red/yellow) it means that pumping is unrestricted.  All the races I have seen, that has been the case.

I see some even appear to be sculling the rudder as they rock the boat from side to side.

10 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Surely just doing away with the pumping rule altogether makes perfect sense. Why have a rule stops the competitor taking advantage of every ounce of performance their equipment and conditions can offer?

2 hours ago, random. said:

Your question means that you aren't watching the games.

At the start, if Code Flag Zero is flying (red/yellow) it means that pumping is unrestricted.  All the races I have seen, that has been the case.

I see some even appear to be sculling the rudder as they rock the boat from side to side.

I will watch more closely.  I've been half heatedly watching but did concentrate on a few upwind legs as it's always great to see how the pros go through tacks. I was waiting for the Nacras and actually I'm desperately sad that it doesn't get more play because races 2 and 3 were so spectacular and remind you why every time you take a non sailor out on a performance cat in a decent breeze you just blow minds. 

10 hours ago, barney said:

10 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

N17 kites are pretty flat (designed for the foiling mode), so it's easy to stall them. Crews learn run on an ease/trim cycle to keep flow attached on the leeward side. And it's pretty punishing if you go too deep. In any case, if you go too deep or over-trim, flow detaches the boat stops and you have to point pretty high - almost reaching - to get going again. Might look like luffing.

Sorry, guys, but the luffing of the kite has nothing to do with these things. The kite is a ride height control because you are loading or unloading the foils. Sheet on adds load to the foils and  pushes the boat down into the water, easing unloads the foils and lifts the boat out of the water. So you combine sheeting the kite with running up and down the side of the boat to adjust the angle of attack of the foils.

11 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

The waves are currently "only" medium compared with what can happen at this venue. And yes, it is hard. There are probably only 5 or 6 people in the world who can really send an N17 downwind really well. And there are even fewer who can send them well downwind in those conditions but who are also good when it is lighter and there are less waves. The Italians will be praying conditions remain like this, Jason and Lisa will be wanting a real mix of conditions.

• Like 3