The official 2021 Tokyo Olympics thread

31 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Brits have been going well in Nacras over the past 2 days of waves - 2,1,1,2 is a pretty damned good performance 

Very impressive.  John Gimpson is 38 years old and has come close to going to the Olympics several times, only to see his class deselected twice,  (Tornado and then Star)   Nice article on him here https://www.yachtsandyachting.co.uk/articles/comeback-kid-john-gimsons-long-road-to-the-olympics/    

I really hope he medals. He deserves it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Totally misses the point. Yes, the athletes can make their own decisions. However, by any definition, the Olympics has all the characteristics of a "super spreader" event and it is the worst type

In the Finns back in 1984 I remember Russell Coutts had to have everything weighed similar situation because Finn sailors (my dad included) all used to wear these big wet wool clothes they could soak

That's over simplistic. You have to consider what the video is showing. Telephoto foreshortening, for instance, makes it almost impossible to judge distance, so if you have a video taken at 90 degrees

Posted Images

15 hours ago, random. said:

Your question means that you aren't watching the games.

At the start, if Code Flag Zero is flying (red/yellow) it means that pumping is unrestricted.  All the races I have seen, that has been the case.

I see some even appear to be sculling the rudder as they rock the boat from side to side.

Presumably the flag wasn't sailing for the laser's earlier today:

Pavlos Kontides (CYP) went into the day with an eight-point lead. He might still have been leading but for a 'second yellow flag', the dreaded penalty flag used by the on-water umpires who watch out for any infringements of Racing Rule 42, kinetics. The Cypriot was very unhappy with the decision against him. "I don't want to discuss it or how I feel. I will just try to forget about everything and just focus on tomorrow."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/240074/Tokyo-2020-Olympic-Sailing-Competition-day-5

I have not seen any video so cannot comment beyond that

2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Finn GBR    1

49er FX  GBR   1.........but I think Im going to be wrong because the Dutch team will overhaul them

Nacra  AUS     5 (and not looking good in these conditions)

Mens Windsurfer NED  1

Womens Windsurfer CHN   1

49er  NZL   4   .......needs to pull out the stops n 2nd half of regatta

Women 470  GBR   2

Men 470 AUS     1

Laser AUS   1.......great recovery from weak start to regatta.

Laser Radial .....not sure , NED  but the Danish girl is looking so good.   Marit (NED)7 and Denmark 1

Marit has likely blown her chance for the gold with the BFD on  R7

3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

You called the Danish laser radial form and its been dead right thus far. She is sailing very consistently fast in a fleet where the other names are finding it hard .

Giles has rescued your Finn prediction. It wasnt looking good at first. But four bullets in a row fixed that.

Nacra leader is unexpected.....new talent really emerged. 

Was your Croatia pick was because he won gold in 470 in 2016 and then won 49er worlds in 2018 ?I dont know much about them.  I went for Burling/Tuke because they seem to have so much talent silver and gold....and won the last 2 worlds .  However I wonder if the AC has been their priority for last 2/3 years . We will see how 2nd half goes.

49er sailing has moved on in the last few years and B&T have been distracted in other areas.  Maybe they’ll come good, but I don’t think they stand out as unbeatable any more. Croatian team are very good sailors with a very good coach, but many others in the mix - it’s a close fleet. 

19 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Thereš no need to use 2nd hand source, get all your info from here:

https://tokyo2020.sailing.org/notice-board/

-> Hearings -> Case summary

Yesterday two W 470s got DSQ for the same reason, btw.

• Like 1

The scoresheet I saw had the Cypriot Laser guy as DNF in the race yesterday. Did he pack up and sail home after the yellow flag? or is the scoresheet wrong?

Edit: Opps, I see it's now been changed to RTD...

5 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

The scoresheet I saw had the Cypriot Laser guy as DNF in the race yesterday. Did he pack up and sail home after the yellow flag? or is the scoresheet wrong?

Where did you see that scoresheet? On Twitter? :D Official results page show RET in Race 7. That's what you're supposed to do after you get a second yellow flag.

4 minutes ago, ojfd said:

Where did you see that scoresheet? On Twitter? :D Official results page show RET in Race 7. That's what you're supposed to do after you get a second yellow flag.

Nah mate. On the World Sailing Tokyo results page 12 hours ago it was DNF. Now I've woken up here in Australia I saw it was changed to RET. No biggie...

• Like 1
On 7/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, 45Roller said:

We got the Eurosport 4k channel as a free add on from our isp, it’s great B)

I got 6 months of Discovery+ (who own Eurosport) for free from Vodafone, nice every event is available to replay if you miss the live streams.

Only downside is the bloke commentating on the sailing makes some daft gaffs.

• Like 1

CASE NUMBER

STATUS

Closed

EVENT

49erFX Women

RACE

PROTESTOR

USA

PROTESTEE

Organizing Authority

PROTEST DETAILS

Installation of camera mount issue.

FACT FOUND

1. On July 25, USA had her camera mount installed by the OA.
2. During the night of July 27 to July 28, the port side camera mount fell from the boom and was laying on top of the cover.
3. Shortly after arriving at the venue on July 28, USA had the OA reinstall the camera mount before racing.
4. On July 28, in race 6 (3rd race of the day), leg 4, approaching the finishing line, USA gybed.
5. While gybing, her mainsheet looped around the top of the camera mount and got wedged between the mount and the boom.
6. USA lost control of the boat and capsized.
7. Before the incident, USA was at around the 7th place.
8. USA finished at the 16th place.
9. In both installations by the OA, the camera mount was not attached to a U-shape bracket (as shown on "Reference images" - "Figure 2" of the ER Addendum C) and was not flush with the boom.
10. ER 6.2 allows the use of rope, elastic and adhesive tape to be attached to OA equipment mounts for the purpose of avoiding entanglement with running rigging and sails.

CONCLUSION

1. The reference images in the ER Addendum C are only provided for illustrative purposes.
2. The OA provided the opportunity to avoid entanglement with running rigging under ER 6.2.
3. There was neither an improper action nor omission of the organizing authority.
4. Therefore, the requirements for redress in RRS 62.1(a) are not met.

DECISION

Redress is not given.

The trapeze harness one is news to me and a bit strange. It’s actually a rule (50.1 b) that applies to all sailors and boats in all disciplines. This is the first I’ve heard of the rule, and the first I’ve heard of a protest around it, but something to note for the future. I’m quite sure my spare harness is right near the 2kg limit. Weighing them wet also seems silly, but it’s part of the rules…

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

45 minutes ago, tillerman said:

CASE NUMBER

STATUS

Closed

EVENT

49erFX Women

RACE

PROTESTOR

USA

PROTESTEE

Organizing Authority

PROTEST DETAILS

Installation of camera mount issue.

FACT FOUND

1. On July 25, USA had her camera mount installed by the OA.
2. During the night of July 27 to July 28, the port side camera mount fell from the boom and was laying on top of the cover.
3. Shortly after arriving at the venue on July 28, USA had the OA reinstall the camera mount before racing.
4. On July 28, in race 6 (3rd race of the day), leg 4, approaching the finishing line, USA gybed.
5. While gybing, her mainsheet looped around the top of the camera mount and got wedged between the mount and the boom.
6. USA lost control of the boat and capsized.
7. Before the incident, USA was at around the 7th place.
8. USA finished at the 16th place.
9. In both installations by the OA, the camera mount was not attached to a U-shape bracket (as shown on "Reference images" - "Figure 2" of the ER Addendum C) and was not flush with the boom.
10. ER 6.2 allows the use of rope, elastic and adhesive tape to be attached to OA equipment mounts for the purpose of avoiding entanglement with running rigging and sails.

CONCLUSION

1. The reference images in the ER Addendum C are only provided for illustrative purposes.
2. The OA provided the opportunity to avoid entanglement with running rigging under ER 6.2.
3. There was neither an improper action nor omission of the organizing authority.
4. Therefore, the requirements for redress in RRS 62.1(a) are not met.

DECISION

Redress is not given.

Three ouchies.

18 minutes ago, F18 Sailor said:

The trapeze harness one is news to me and a bit strange. It’s actually a rule (50.1 b) that applies to all sailors and boats in all disciplines. This is the first I’ve heard of the rule, and the first I’ve heard of a protest around it, but something to note for the future. I’m quite sure my spare harness is right near the 2kg limit. Weighing them wet also seems silly, but it’s part of the rules…

Why is weighing harnesses strange? Surely it is highly undesirable to allow people to have gear that artificially increases crew weight. 

Weighing them wet is the only way of checking. It would be very easy to build a harness that weighs 2kgs dry and 7 or 8 kgs wet.

• Like 2

Enoshima course seems to be where the cameras are permaently, so we have only Laser races on screen today, Women followed by Men. But for the rest of regatta the fast boats will switch to the Enoshima couse for their final fleet races and then all the medal races. So at last we will get to see some action.

9 hours ago, tillerman said:

This is sad, they went from front page news for winning the first race, some great pictures of them leading the fleet, to this. People won't remember the win, will only say, oh they cheated and got disqualified. Not the first time it's happened for us at the games unfortunately :-/

• Like 1

Anyone watching the Ladies 49erFX on a bigger screen than my tiny device?

The North kites seem to have vertical seams or something, as well as the normal radial panels?

Is this just a result of the screen printing of the country flags overlapping?

It seems like even the solid colours have it too though???

• Like 1
6 hours ago, F18 Sailor said:

Weight of kit rules have been around since wearing weight was banned. Don't often get enforced. No point having a rule that isn't enforced.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bill5 said:

Crazy Race 10 for the Radials! The Medal Race will be a dandy! Go Sarah D!

Top 8 close.
Bouwmeester protested jury, tracker said she was over, video coverage shows not.
Jury had no visual. But decision stands. So many restarts with Bouwmeester pushing it... one to much.
Why Den visited Ned at start line was weird... And leaving the race was karma. Both Den and Ned a fucked race.
Now close in points  1st & 2d...

8 hours ago, F18 Sailor said:

The weight has just gone down from 4 kilo to 2 kilo this year. 

To be honest 4 kilo was open to abuse. You shouldn't have material in there to add weight, but that's a hard to police... plenty of people sailing around with a couple of kilos of lead back support.

The flip side is 2 kilo is hard to hit, especially if you have a harness with lots of webbing or neoprene which holds more water (weighed wet). My harness (shock skiff harness) is one of the lightest available, 0.8 dry and 1.2 wet. So it doesn't surprise me many models could be over the limit when wet. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Phil S said:

Enoshima course seems to be where the cameras are permaently, so we have only Laser races on screen today, Women followed by Men. But for the rest of regatta the fast boats will switch to the Enoshima couse for their final fleet races and then all the medal races. So at last we will get to see some action.

Skiffs ain't a whole lot more exciting to watch in 6 knots of wind than Lasert though. F50s were fun with just 3 people on board :D

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ojfd said:

Thereš no need to use 2nd hand source, get all your info from here:

https://tokyo2020.sailing.org/notice-board/

-> Hearings -> Case summary

Yesterday two W 470s got DSQ for the same reason, btw.

Case #1 is interesting. Looks like N17s are all sailing with old foils. Nacra switched foil suppliers and race authorities said the new foils are not acceptable... And there is no stock for sale of race approved foils.

Protest dismissed, because you can buy 2nd hand foils from other teams. Well that's a f'up.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Metoxi said:

I got 6 months of Discovery+ (who own Eurosport) for free from Vodafone, nice every event is available to replay if you miss the live streams.

Only downside is the bloke commentating on the sailing makes some daft gaffs.

is there anywhere royalty free posting this sort of thing?

I'm a paid up to our local broadcaster that obviously has acees to all this content, but couldn't be bothered putting it up after the fact or highlihgts

the cycling pirates for instance have posted all the OG cycling events

https://tiz-cycling.io/videos/olympic-games-tokyo-2020-individual-time-trial-full-race-ladies/

4 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

Case #1 is interesting. Looks like N17s are all sailing with old foils. Nacra switched foil suppliers and race authorities said the new foils are not acceptable... And there is no stock for sale of race approved foils.

Protest dismissed, because you can buy 2nd hand foils from other teams. Well that's a f'up.

Messed up for sure, but realistically I don't see what sort of redress were the hoping for. Like a different handicap because they have second hand foils? :D

On 7/28/2021 at 7:24 AM, EYESAILOR said:

Finn GBR

49er FX  GBR

Nacra  AUS

Mens Windsurfer NED

Womens Windsurfer CHN

49er  NZL (although he needs to get going)

Women 470  GBR

Men 470 AUS

Laser AUS  (although rooting for CYP)

Laser Radial .... NED has been so dominant historically but the Danish girl is looking so good.

Finn GBR   

49er FX  GBR   .but I think Im going to be wrong because the Dutch team will overhaul them.....

And the Dutch move to the top and my girls faded with a 16 14 15.

Nacra  AUS   

Mens Windsurfer NED  1

Womens Windsurfer CHN   1

49er  NZL   4   .......needs to pull out the stops n 2nd half of regatta  Its a close regatta. 3 boats tied on points now. clawing their way back. Its hit the restart button but no more discards for B/T

Women 470  GBR   Still in 2nd

Men 470 AUS     Holding on to first, and havent used the discard yet.

Laser AUS   Who would have thought he would nail the gold with an 8 and 12 in last two races.....but well done Matt, yet another gold in the Laser class for Aussie; Slingsby, Burton, Wearn. They own this class.

Laser Radial ..... NED  but the Danish girl is looking so good.   Did the Danish girl just open it up to NED?  26 and DNF.  All she had to do was finish 14th or better in either one of those races and she would have nailed the gold before the medal race .

Spare a thought for Paige Reilly who made the medal race in the 2 prior Olympics and really wanted a medal.....but goes home without a single race in the top 10. She was better than this .

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

To be honest 4 kilo was open to abuse. You shouldn't have material in there to add weight, but that's a hard to police... plenty of people sailing around with a couple of kilos of lead back support.

The flip side is 2 kilo is hard to hit, especially if you have a harness with lots of webbing or neoprene which holds more water (weighed wet). My harness (shock skiff harness) is one of the lightest available, 0.8 dry and 1.2 wet. So it doesn't surprise me many models could be over the limit when wet. 

This is meant to be a sport guided by the principles of good sportsmanship

1. If they were going to weigh the harnesses, weigh them before racing started so that competitors had a chance to take out lumbar supports etc.

2. Seriously, Irelands trapeze was 0.09 of a kilo overweight? That made no difference to their race results ......a warning would have sufficed....or a 5% penalty which the jury awarded to TUR for a mast that was 70 grams too light. .   The other boat was 0.3 kilo overweight.....also negligble....but their shore team should have checked.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Ah, the weight change is why I was unaware, as 4kg is plenty and not a problem for almost all commercially available equipment I would imagine.

17 hours ago, SimonN said:

Why is weighing harnesses strange? Surely it is highly undesirable to allow people to have gear that artificially increases crew weight. 

Weighing them wet is the only way of checking. It would be very easy to build a harness that weighs 2kgs dry and 7 or 8 kgs wet.

Strange because I’ve never seen it done at the international events I have attended. I now realize why-the 2021 rules cut the allowable weight in half, which makes it more likely that standard equipment is illegal, and less likely that it was even a concern before!

I do understand the dry vs. wet thing, certainly at this level, but this rule applies to amateurs too. Generally we aren’t trying to carry extra equipment weight as that slows down tacks and gybes.

I agree with the above comment that a very minor weight infraction here doesn’t seem to warrant a DSQ.

27 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I disagree with the complaints. You have to draw a line. It is no use saying it is just beyond the line. There is a limit. It applies to all competitors. They all knew it. 

But they do have discretion to choose an appropriate penalty. Seriously? 0.09 of a kilo has no impact on performance.

0.07 kilos at the top of the mast got this penalty. 

Conclusion

1. After replacing the wire, the weight of the mast including its rigging was 70 grams lighter than the class minimum of 10.kg, therefore TUR broke 470 class rule F3.7.
2. In the given conditions, using a 70 grams lighter wire had no possible effect on the boat speed of TUR.

Decision

1. Using the Discretionary Penalty Policy, a starting penalty of 5% (Band 1) was decided.
2. There were no facts to justify increasing or decreasing the penalty.
3. TUR is penalized 5% applied to race 2, calculated to the nearest tenth of a point, (0.05 to be rounded upward), but not worse than the score for DNF.

I still dont know why they would not have weighed harnesses before the first race if it was part of the measurement protocol.

Now, if they weighed harnesses before racing and these harnesses had got heavier due to adding the lumbar support....then yer, chuck them out because they should have submitted their harnesses as they intended to sail them. BUt otherwise this was overly harsh on two young men who have spent the last 4 years training for this week.

19 hours ago, Bill5 said:

Crazy Race 10 for the Radials! The Medal Race will be a dandy! Go Sarah D!

First start: DEN was the leeward boat, NED was close to windward. I didn't see DEN do anything wrong. No touch as far as I could tell.

Puzzled!

PS: Where is BRASS to explain it all?

Edited by Wavedancer II
16 hours ago, LeoV said:

Top 8 close.
Bouwmeester protested jury, tracker said she was over, video coverage shows not.
Jury had no visual. But decision stands. So many restarts with Bouwmeester pushing it... one to much.
Why Den visited Ned at start line was weird... And leaving the race was karma. Both Den and Ned a fucked race.
Now close in points  1st & 2d...

I often read that video 'evidence' can be misleading and doesn't carry much weight, if any, at a protest meeting. Surprised that in this case the video 'overruled' the tracker.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wavedancer II said:

First start: DEN was the leeward boat, NED was close to windward. I didn't see DEN do anything wrong. No touch as far as I could tell.

Puzzled!

It wasn't umpired fleet race . She got yellow-flagged for sculling [42.2(d)].

• Like 2

Official broadcaster is not particulary flexible, I have to say. Finns and Nacras are already racing, but live stream still shows the same Enoshima harbour view, like in the post above. It appears that since they've scheduled to show 49ers (whose races were postponed for about an hour), they won't switch to other classes, no matter what. What a pitty..

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
6 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

BUt otherwise this was overly harsh on two young men who have spent the last 4 years training for this week.

Yes it is harsh....but it's a clear unequivocal rule that's been well promoted and understood. The harness is not a supplied item and can be customised, so the responsibility of assessing its weight (along with other clothing worn) is the sole responsibility of the competitor. That is why the competitor is given the opportunity to arrange the weight in any way he/she likes on the official scales....As someone who saw these rules introduced, we were always meticulous in checking our weight before each regatta....this is a sad case of complacency. As you say...a Harsh Lesson.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:53 AM, Bored Stiff said:

49er sailing has moved on in the last few years and B&T have been distracted in other areas.  Maybe they’ll come good, but I don’t think they stand out as unbeatable any more. Croatian team are very good sailors with a very good coach, but many others in the mix - it’s a close fleet. 

Well you were right about Croatians. That race today in light air was very impressive.

Still very close between Spain and NZ.  The Brits blew it, they had inside at left downwind gate and overstood, giving it to NZ. Then NZ and UK messed with each other letting Spain get past them both. UK got it back briefly when RSA sat on NZ for a bit but NZ took them back and the UK really messed up approach to last windward mark.

6 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

I often read that video 'evidence' can be misleading and doesn't carry much weight, if any, at a protest meeting. Surprised that in this case the video 'overruled' the tracker.

Jury refuses to give the video to the Dutch coach. They based the judgement solely on tracker.
Anyway the hunting of the Den of Ned, while Ned was out of gold, and making a big mistake is karma.

5 hours ago, ojfd said:

By the way, am I the only one that got an impression that Jury deliberately hunted down DEN in races 9 and 10?

No, not me.

She was pinged for pumping the race before.  She fouled using the rudder, she hunted NED when she did not have to.  I was watching it.  I thought she was a cheat.  Then strangely I felt sorry for her, something about women crying.

But there was a degree of Karma in it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Well you were right about Croatians. That race today in light air was very impressive.

Still very close between Spain and NZ.  The Brits blew it, they had inside at left downwind gate and overstood, giving it to NZ. Then NZ and UK messed with each other letting Spain get past them both. UK got it back briefly when RSA sat on NZ for a bit but NZ took them back and the UK really messed up approach to last windward mark.

They’ve not shown much of the 49er racing here, but looks like NZ are warming up!

Regarding the crazy move by Rindom in the Radial.  No reason to engage NED prestart, but what is the rule that saw her DSQ? Two rule infringements in a day?

9 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

That's over simplistic. You have to consider what the video is showing. Telephoto foreshortening, for instance, makes it almost impossible to judge distance, so if you have a video taken at 90 degrees to the boats track its of almost no use for deciding whether W was keeping clear of L, but pretty good for judging whether an overlap existed. By contrast a video taken from directly ahead or astern is great for judging keeping clear, but useless for overlaps. 

A video taken exactly along the line, with the audio recording the gun, is pretty damn good for judging OCS. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Bored Stiff said:

Regarding the crazy move by Rindom in the Radial.  No reason to engage NED prestart, but what is the rule that saw her DSQ? Two rule infringements in a day?

It looks like DEN may have made the right decision.  Appendix P (Rule 42 Penalties) applies for the Olympic regatta. Rindom had been pinged for Rule 42 in Race 9 and had done her two turns penalty. At the start of Race 10 she was pinged for sculling, and had the race not been recalled, she would have had to retire from that race. That start was recalled, and the penalty was wiped. She could have started the race and finished high enough to be within touching distance of the Gold.   But . . . . Rule P3 states:

"If a boat has been penalised under rule P1.2 and the race committee signals a postponement, general recall or abandonment, the penalty is cancelled, but it is still counted to determine the number of times she has been penalized during the event."

Had she started Race 10, she would have been in the cross-hairs of the OTW jury for both Race 10 and the Medal Race. The penalty for another infringement will be DSQ from the whole regatta, which would blow any chance of any medal. (Many race committees amend Appendix P in the SIs by deleting Rule P3 as unduly harsh, but this is the Olympics.) She will still be in the jury's sights during the medal race, but for that one race only. Somehow she has to sail her socks off to keep close to NED and still keep the jury happy. I cannot think of a more high-pressured sailing situation.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, deadrock said:

Had she started Race 10, she would have been in the cross-hairs of the OTW jury

She did start Race 10.

On 7/31/2021 at 7:13 AM, ojfd said:

Official broadcaster is not particulary flexible, I have to say. Finns and Nacras are already racing, but live stream still shows the same Enoshima harbour view, like in the post above. It appears that since they've scheduled to show 49ers (whose races were postponed for about an hour), they won't switch to other classes, no matter what. What a pitty..

Would be great if someone with access to all the racing that has been broadcast could upload it somewhere un restricted.

The London medal races are all on YouTube, officially. Would be nice to see the laser and radial races for now.

Kind of hard to support this sport

• Like 1

Spanish broadcaster Movistar doesn't even have sailing on the menu... 

I haven't been able to watch anything, some options have been offered here (thanks for that, JMP) but they all ask for my credit card...

9 minutes ago, barney said:

I wonder how much of it is due to the accumulated knowledge being shared with the next generation. Especially in the finn where you can customize a few things.

No doubt that helps. But I think it also encourages belief and also for the best sailors from a country to enter that event 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:24 AM, EYESAILOR said:

Finn GBR

49er FX  GBR

Nacra  AUS

Mens Windsurfer NED

Womens Windsurfer CHN

49er  NZL

Women 470  GBR

Men 470 AUS

Laser AUS 

Laser Radial .....not sure , NED 

49er medal race will be exciting. 3 boats within 4 points of each other in a double scoring race..

GBR women 470 have sailed into a 1 point lead for the first time in the regatta.

My pick in Nacra is not going to get Gold or Silver and moving up one spot to Bronze is a tall order.   But I could not be happier for Gimson, who is certain of a medal and hopefully keeps silver. Its been a long road for a nice guy.

On a more somber note,  where are our US team hopefuls?

We dont have a single medal prospect. 

We're just trying to get into medal races.

In 6 classes we failed to get a boat into the medal race at all. In the mens windsurfer we qualified to finish 9th overall. In the Nacra class we have qualified in 9th.  

In the two remaining 470 events we lie in 9th place in the womens (after a fantastic 8th race) and 11th place in the Mens

At best we will scrape into 4 medal races and we face the prospect of 9th being our best finish.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:17 AM, F18 Sailor said:

Strange because I’ve never seen it done at the international events I have attended. I now realize why-the 2021 rules cut the allowable weight in half, which makes it more likely that standard equipment is illegal, and less likely that it was even a concern before!

I do understand the dry vs. wet thing, certainly at this level, but this rule applies to amateurs too. Generally we aren’t trying to carry extra equipment weight as that slows down tacks and gybes

In the Finns back in 1984 I remember Russell Coutts had to have everything weighed similar situation because Finn sailors (my dad included) all used to wear these big wet wool clothes they could soak and get extra weight; if over a certain limit with a certain protocol to weigh, they would get chucked out; Coutts was right on the limit but was ok after a 2nd weighing from memory.  Same year he had tons of boils on his butt.  Not sure why I remember this stuff. 

Rules are the rules; there's a limit, if you say you can be over then everyone will be over to the new limit then (e.g. limit 2kg but no penalty unless more than 10% over, so everyone then has harnesses 2.2kg).  They are probably not a few grams over when they sail in breeze; they are quite a bit over, and have some time before weighing wet to drain so they optimise their equipment for that.  I'm sure they all know very well what they are allowed and not allowed and have checked it; they chose to be very close to the limit and sometimes that doesn't always work if you are over you 'pay the price'.

• Like 4
On 8/1/2021 at 9:03 AM, EYESAILOR said:

49er medal race will be exciting. 3 boats within 4 points of each other in a double scoring race..

The apple did not roll far from the tree. Martina Grael may win this for Brazil.

29 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

The apple did not roll far from the tree. Martina Grael may win this for Brazil.

She did but I am so impressed with the Germans. They win SILVER. It's the 1st Sailing Silver Medal since Sydney 2000 when German Sailing Icon Jochen Schuemann lost the Final to Dane Jesper Bank in the Soling Class.

• Like 2

Couldn’t get the video but followed the results of the Finn Medal race. Must have been a hell of a race. Zombie won and almost took Scott‘s Gold. 

Scott turned back after the start to clear an OCS. Replay shows he might not have been over. About a minute before the finish, Scott was a couple of places down in the order, hence second overall. What a race!

• Like 1

Seriously good stuff by German Sailors this morning! I had hoped for one Medal but never imagined 3. It's our best Olympic Campaign since Sydney 2000 when we won two Silver Medals and one Bronze Medal. Today we won one Silver and two Bronze.

The German Sailing Association needs to milk this success now. Maybe get a German SailGP going!

• Like 3

I also have to congratulate "British Sailing". You are Legends!

Seriously how you dominated the Finn Class over the last twelve years is just mind-boggling in my opinion.

2008: Ben Ainslie

2012: Ben Ainslie

2016: Giles Scott

2020: Giles Scott

Looks like Mills/McIntyre will win Gold tomorrow in the 470er Class as they have a 14-Point lead over 2nd placed France.

GBR will be once again the Nation with the most Olympic Medals in Sailing from Tokyo.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

You missed two DG - GB won the Finn in 2000 and 2004 also

They did? Congrats!

Ah, I see that Iain Percy won in the Finn Class in 2000 and Ben won in 2004.

Fantastic racing, well done to the hosts and the race management team, great job by the media production team, and of course all the competitors and support staff, it's fair to say that this cycle of the games has been even more of a personal sacrifice for all involved than a usual Olympic cycle. Humbling to see the bar inching higher, the sport has no higher pinnacle to stand on.

So, remind me again, what is the premier singlehanded sailing event in Paris?  Some kind of foiling tray thingy?  is it the one where the sailor holds the mast?  Or the one where he flies a kite thing?  Don't tell me it's the childs 70's fun dinghy formerly known as Laser?  I'm lost.

• Like 2

49er medal race came down to the last gybe. Germany could probably have stayed on starboard and even won the race, luckily the spanish didn't overhaul them from further down the fleet

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/125955512/tokyo-olympics-peter-burling-and-blair-tuke-have-to-settle-for-silver-medal

US best finish in the sailing Olympics thus far is 9th .  We have not come within sniffing distance of a medal in any class. Failed to even qualify for the Medal round in 7 out of 10 events,scraping into the medal round in 9th and 10th in 3 events. 

This is the US worst performance of all time.

This is only the 2nd time since 1936 that we have failed to win a single medal.  In 2012 (considered a disaster) we failed to win any medals but we were in the hunt in womens match racing and qualified in 5 events. 

28 minutes ago, shebeen said:

49er medal race came down to the last gybe. Germany could probably have stayed on starboard and even won the race, luckily the spanish didn't overhaul them from further down the fleet

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/125955512/tokyo-olympics-peter-burling-and-blair-tuke-have-to-settle-for-silver-medal

It was ridiculously close! The Finn was pretty damned nail-biting too!

48 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

US best finish in the sailing Olympics thus far is 9th .  We have not come within sniffing distance of a medal in any class. Failed to even qualify for the Medal round in 7 out of 10 events,scraping into the medal round in 9th and 10th in 3 events. 

This is the US worst performance of all time.

This is only the 2nd time since 1936 that we have failed to win a single medal.  In 2012 (considered a disaster) we failed to win any medals but we were in the hunt in womens match racing and qualified in 5 events. 

So...how much is the US spending? AUS dropped $8m a year on its high performance team...so that's $40m for 2 Gold medals....reckon GBR might've dropped even more.... The Lympix is an arms race!