My daughter grew up aboard a boat

I don't think I posted this when she wrote this. Pretty good writing for a 15 year old. But I'm biased as her dad. Pass it on to somebody who might be thinking of taking off with the family on a sailboat for a few years. It didn't seem to hurt her.

https://www.seventeen.com/life/real-girl-stories/a42210/i-live-on-a-boat/

She's 19 now and is heading to university in the fall. A dual degree program: 2 years at Sciences Po in France (Macron and the elder Trudeau went there so you know it's appropriately high falutin') and then 2 years closer to home at UBC in Vancouver.

• Like 25

That's great, Zonk! Easy to read, informative and no teenage angst at all. She seems a lovely young woman. Ya done good!

• Like 1

Fun read! I like the “two hulled catamaran” part, that’s cute! Mom got the porpoise tattoo worked over a little...

I read an article you posted that your wife wrote a few years ago and it was well written, so your daughter has had some mentoring on proper writing.

Took this photo last June in NY on the road when you posted the link...

660A3D12-D032-4A74-91BC-53961505076C.jpeg

You lived on a boat with two redheads and survived!

That deserves every bit as much credit as raising a winner.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Mom got the porpoise tattoo worked over a little

Hah! I hadda go back to see what you were talking about. Good  eye! Kinda like finding the differences between 2 nearly identical pix. Zonk's shirt, same one only older or just a similar styled different shirt?

Then, on the second perusal, I noticed the devil cat seeming to leap off the page...

gallery-1470849220-selkirksailing-1.jpg?

Scawy!

Congrats on your daughter and you as a father!

My youngest daughter is finishing her second year on Sciences Po, but not in Paris, in Reims instead. And she is going to cross your daughter over the Atlantic as she is going to do her next semester at American University in Washington, DC.

If you or your daughter have any question about Sciences Po, shoot me a PM and my daughter and I will try to answer.

Well small world - my daughter is going to the Reims campus too. My wife is excited because it is in the Champagne region and wants an excuse to tour the area :)

Thanks for the offer. She might want to chat.

You and Mom have done a fine job. 

Very cool.  I showed it to my wife and my 17 yo daughter.

It led to some good conversations.  I was living in a remote area when my daughter grew up, similar in that there was a small circle of friends and a set of shared experiences outside the norm.

Zonker, my kids didn't grow up on a boat, but they grew up in and on the ocean as much as possible. I'm sure they would closely relate to your daughter. My oldest just graduated from Stony Brook University in Marine Biology. Now she's working for Turtles 911 in Hawaii and getting ready to go to grad school. My youngest is about to finish her pre-med program at the University of Colorado. It's so awesome to see your kids grow up and do well. I read the article and your daughter is an amazing person. Congratulations on raising such a fine person. 

Photo of my kids when they were ~5 & 7 on my old Frances 26 in Hawaii. 

image.png.b0fc26cbc911187e342a39d1170f36a8.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Zonker said:

Well small world - my daughter is going to the Reims campus too. My wife is excited because it is in the Champagne region and wants an excuse to tour the area :)

Thanks for the offer. She might want to chat.

Sent you a PM.

Sent the article to my daughter, pretty timely as she is in the process of getting into college and is 17 wrapping up her boat life.  She has been doing a ton of reflecting lately as she gets a taste of civilization.  She thinks the whole cruising surfing sailing thing was okay....has had some issues relating with old school friends. We feel extremely lucky to have been able to get her out in the world for that period of her life.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:00 PM, SloopJonB said:

You lived on a boat with two redheads and survived!

That deserves every bit as much credit as raising a winner.

Zonker preparing the required daily sunscreen dose

nicolasfernandez_bela-107-1.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, Sail4beer said:

Took this photo last June in NY on the road when you posted the link...

Selkirk? You were in my neck of the woods. Wait... you're one of those New Jersey drivers, aren't you? *squinty eyed look of suspicion*

Quick run to the border last May to pick up some boat parts from Canada without the Man catching us. I kept my foot on the pedal and  wore a mask with the windows up past your enclave, you have been spared...

9 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Two different schools Science Po and L’École Nationale d’Administration

Both top tier as clearly is the Selkirk parenting.

Yes, you are correct - different schools - but both are Grande Ecoles and we can arm wrestle over which one is "better" - either way you are headed to the big league.  I think you can even get the special bursary at Sciences Po if you are training for the ENA. Someone can correct me. 

5 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Yes, you are correct - different schools - but both are Grande Ecoles and we can arm wrestle over which one is "better" - either way you are headed to the big league.  I think you can even get the special bursary at Sciences Po if you are training for the ENA. Someone can correct me. 

Not for much longer Macron, an enarque, is closing ENA.

(unless the enarque take action...perhaps an opportunity to go long  life insurance on Macron)

• 4 weeks later...

Zonker, you have barely aged a day.  Cool article.  I am going to show my 9yr old daughter who is also living aboard with us.