"Equity".....The dumbing down of 'Murica

22 minutes ago, craigiri said:

$0.1129$0.112

When they say "Word Format" - that's a sign to run run run. I taught a lot of classes in video and graphics and computer use - and often had to tell the administrators what to do. They would have classes in Word, Excell, etc - being as I was probably in the top 1 or 2% of power users and had almost zero need for those programs it was hard to imagine these people (the admins and those who design the courses) were doing anything useful. Dollars to donuts if we followed 1,000 people who took those courses we'd find very few those success or jobs ended up having anything to do with paying MS License fees their entire life. 

I tried to teach people how to think - and how to do things that would be popular (and needed) in the future. In 2002 I was teaching Final Cut to teens in Camden - one of these kids now is high placed in Silicon Valley.

(I think we almost got beat up driving around and taking vids!) 

I am going to disagree a bit here. For the more IT inclined kids learning MS Office products is like teaching Chuck Yeager how to put oil in P-51, but for some of the rest it might be a big deal. Being able to use Office is an absolute baseline skill for almost any job above jr. ditch digger and not all kids have computer literate households to pick that stuff up in.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two daughters who are both bright enough, but one has to work hard at getting good grades and the other is naturally smarter but has some mental health challenges.  I switched halfway thro

Or aging past 19.

This debate has been raging in the education community for years.  In my high school, we ultimately discouraged accelerated classes, and went instead with integrated curriculum classes (eg. Biology/En

Posted Images

On 4/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, Raz'r said:

So, given the penchant of the US to lock up its citizens, you're saying US Democracy failed then? Cause other Democracies don't have this problem. Nor do other democracies spend such a fuck-ton on "defense"

Oh, US "Democracy" is definitely a failure...meaning it is not a sustainable way or life that makes people happier and is focuses on the general welfare. 

Locking "them" up is just part and parcel of the violence we do to ourselves. 

6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I am going to disagree a bit here. For the more IT inclined kids learning MS Office products is like teaching Chuck Yeager how to put oil in P-51, but for some of the rest it might be a big deal. Being able to use Office is an absolute baseline skill for almost any job above jr. ditch digger and not all kids have computer literate households to pick that stuff up in.

I look at it as a perfect example of that "rote" which we lament upon. By the time it gets out there and taught as a baseline we've moved on to Gmail and Google Docs and Youtube and Video and.or other things. 

I cannot imagine much job security nor high pay in learning something that tens of millions of people know. 

Given the choice between teaching a class 

1. Word, Excel, Office

or

2. What AirBNB is, what uBer is, how to buy and sell on eBay, what it means to find and add value, how to get visitors to your videos or page, how to find people to do most anything you need done...

I'd take the later every time. 

If we were talking GIS, Photoshop, Video and Resolution, Web and other metrics, etc - that's a different story. 

I don't pretend to know about Corporate America tho. It just seems that a Word/Excel trained person would be very replaceable. 

14 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

If you are a man of the Reich, just own it for Jeebus' sake. 

If he was a Man of the Reich he'd have stayed w Free-Dumb in Florida here....lots of current positions in the planning and execution of the 4th Reich here and now. 

One of the strangest things is how far back we have traveled - today we had a POTUS who wasn't even up to the 1700's on disease. 

The same guy, I think, spoke about education - yet it appears many never heard him and think that even 10 generations later we should not be teaching the civilizations he so admired....

------

I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain.”

-------

So, am I to believe many of you don't believe in this wisdom?

Maybe what we need to do is purge anyone out of education and decision making that does not have as much, or more, wisdom than existed 10 generations back?

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.21.27 PM.png

39 minutes ago, craigiri said:

If he was a Man of the Reich he'd have stayed w Free-Dumb in Florida here....lots of current positions in the planning and execution of the 4th Reich here and now. 

There are a fair number of fascists in Mexico too . . 

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

There are a fair number of fascists in Mexico too . . 

While this might be true, they are safe in Florida and actually backed by the State Gubment -and can plan the insurrection using 10's of billions of taxpayer money the rest of the country gave them! Try that in Mexico!

13 hours ago, LenP said:

I believe we need to be deliberate in not lumping all underperformance into one bucket and call it the bottom 10%. To me, that is a cop out. Someone with behavior issues is not the same as someone who is struggling with a grade on material.

Lumping groups of people into nice nuance-free buckets is one of jbsf's superpowers.