Innocent Bystander needs our help

I just received this message from IB's wife Lynne:

Boomer, I wanted to let you know that IB is in the ICU. He was hospitalized on Wednesday. The new chemo he received last Thursday has overwhelmed him. He is fighting a very tough fight.

That's the last thing I wanted to hear this morning. IB needs our help, lot's of positive energy and the mass power of prayer. Even if you don't usually pray, please say a prayer for him, and if you have a chance, a few more prayers throughout the day. It doesn't even have to be a complicated thought or prayer, just a  positive request for help. 

There is strong scientific evidence indicating that faith and prayer help us and others with experiencing greater health physically, mentally and psychologically. Overall most conclusions are supportive of the positive influences of prayer and positive faith on human health, healing and functioning.

• Like 2

I spoke with him just last week. We pm’d and exchanged emails. He told me that his cancer had come back and that he was starting chemo. He’s looking to sell his sailboat and wants to get his wife a proper center console powerboat for their lift in case things don’t go well. 

He is a nice man, I feel for him and his family and hope that he can muster the strength to get through this and spend more time with his loved ones. 

• Like 5

He is a good man - kind, intelligent, forthright and honest. He'd help you or me if we needed the help. He could use the extra help from us now.

• Like 4

Healing thoughts to another brother.

Look out Boomer, you may have discovered an unwelcome avocation here.

• Like 4

He and I exchanged off line info on some health matters a couple years ago. I knew he had a very complicated and difficult course. Really sorry to hear this. 

• Like 2

I don think he's that far away from me geographically.

Odd we've never met. Probably walked past each other at boat shows or in the parking lot at Zanhizers.... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, boomer said:

Boomer, I wanted to let you know that IB is in the ICU. He was hospitalized on Wednesday. The new chemo he received last Thursday has overwhelmed him. He is fighting a very tough fight.

That's the last thing I wanted to hear this morning. IB needs our help, lot's of positive energy and the mass power of prayer. Even if you don't usually pray, please say a prayer for him, and if you have a chance, a few more prayers throughout the day. It doesn't even have to be a complicated thought or prayer, just a  positive request for help. 

There is strong scientific evidence indicating that faith and prayer help us and others with experiencing greater health physically, mentally and psychologically. Overall most conclusions are supportive of the positive influences of prayer and positive faith on human health, healing and functioning.

HOLY SHIT!!!!   WTAF????

I was not aware he was sick to start with.  Wow, massive prayers to him and his family....... he is definitely one of the good ones here!

• Like 2

Thanks for informing Boomer. I want to say things like, "That's just wrong", or "That's not fair", but IB probably wouldn't be having any of it. 

Here's to IB and his family getting through this like the good people they are. 

• Like 5

If anyone knows of a good sailboat broker in the Annapolis area, please post it here. IB is looking to sell his sailboat and may looking for a reputable broker to facilitate. 

• Like 1

Well hell, what's happening to this place.  IB is one of the best folks here, very intelligent and always on an even keel.  I'll be sending positive thoughts, and vowels if needed.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this news, but thanks (again) Boomer for letting us know.  I'm not strong on prayers, but there's a shitload of positive thoughts coming your way IB and Lynne.  Here's hoping for a good outcome.

R

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

If anyone knows of a good sailboat broker in the Annapolis area, please post it here. IB is looking to sell his sailboat and may looking for a reputable broker to facilitate. 

do you know what kinda boat it is? sorta makes a difference on who would handle it. North Point handles boats as far south as Solomons out of their Annapolis office. I know there's a a brokerage or two that operate in Solomons out of Zanhisers... I think Brewers? 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Sorry to hear this news, but thanks (again) Boomer for letting us know.  I'm not strong on prayers, but there's a shitload of positive thoughts coming your way IB and Lynne. 

Metric or Impirialle?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

do you know what kinda boat it is? sorta makes a difference on who would handle it. North Point handles boats as far south as Solomons out of their Annapolis office. I know there's a a brokerage or two that operate in Solomons out of Zanhisers... I think Brewers? 

Catalina 42

• Like 1

Yes, 1990 42. He is a past commodore of the Catalina 42 owner’s Association. The boat has numerous upgrades according to IB and is in good condition. I suggested a seller’s  survey that he can present a prospective buyer, go through a local broker and not launch this spring to avoid a short haul for bottom inspection. If a buyer has interest, the boat can be launched for sea trials. 

• Like 2

I really hoped that all these shit storms were starting to fade into the past after the category 5 crap storm that was 2020.

I guess not.

My mom had back surgery early last week. It went well and she was home by midweek. By the end of the week however she was back in the hospital with an infection that's she seems to be (slowly) recovering from. Just hoping that progress keeps being made at at this point.

The good news is that I am working hard on having good thoughts and sending my hope and good vibes out into the wild. So I should have plenty to spare, and any such houghts that aren't going my Mom and Hobot's way, will definitely now be sent IB and Lynn's way.

PS: I don't know if it helps, but Navy did beat Army today (Lacrosse). So maybe that's a good sign?

• Like 2

I'll pass the note around the Catalina Assoc. up in Michigan. A 42 is a great boat for cruising around here. Words escape and do not seem to do justice, but I hope for the best for IB. 

• Like 1

I send all the karmic/god will that I have to spare, plus a little of the stuff I had saved for me.

It's just getting to be that time/age.

• Like 1

IB is a great guy, we haven't met physically although came close - he has been part of Cruisin Loser's Bermuda crew for years. Sorry to hear the crap is back and sending all the best wishes and positive energy I can.  Thanks for letting us know Boomer.

• Like 1

His boat is the wing keel...Hike, IB mentioned you and Cruisin Loser by name as really good friends, so calling his wife would be appreciated by him. He said he enjoyed sailing with you for years...

• Like 1

IB has been keeping us (the crew) up to date, and when he can't MoeAlpha does. 

To give you an idea of the kind of guy he is, he's dealing with a lot of shit right now, but even so, knowing I will ignore social media sometimes for weeks, he texted me 10 days ago to be sure I knew about the GoFundMe for Hobot.

Thursday was bad and scary, we prayed hard. Friday his numbers were improving, he was alert and talking on the phone. 

IB is a great sailor, great shipmate.

I don't think this picture outs him. Here he's driving my boat before the start at one of the Newport Panerai classic races a couple of years ago. 

DSC_1877.thumb.jpg.0025160dc4d1edfab644b1c919605528.jpg

• Like 17

All my best thoughts and wishes to IB and his family and circle of friends.  Visiting ICU is tough on the best of days and I'm sure impossible in the days of Covid.  When he gets home, I urge everyone who knows him well, to coordinate with his wife and go visit.  If you have memories of having beers, bring beers.  He won't be able to have one so have a second for him.  Tell the old, remember that time... type stories.  Look for the recognition and a bit of a twinkle in his eyes.  Reach out and touch him, rest a hand on his shoulder, sit on the edge of his bed. 

My brother crossed over last June in similar circumstances.  I'm glad I had the few last weeks around him.  To this day, my dreams are usually about the two of us sailing and they are bizarre.  The other night we were racing in the Suez Canal and snagged our rig on a container ship and passed everyone.  The next night I dreamt we were at dock somewhere and I was telling another sailing buddy the Suez Canal story.  Strange but makes me smile upon waking.  

I wish for the best for IB and his no matter what the future holds. 

• Like 1

Just received a note from Lynne: Just wanted to give you an update. We saw Larry yesterday and today. He was better today. His numbers are finally coming up. He had expressed his desire to come home, so we are working to make that happen. Still has a long, tough road. Thanks for the positive wishes!

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Hang in there IB. Saddened to hear of this, and very much over good people being stricken with cancer. Fuck cancer. 

Yes indeed! FUCK CANCER!

• Like 5

Cancer's ugly grip reaches out for someone else. Personal trial for them, their family and loved one's. Thoughts of strength and positivity to all affected. The SA community unites in support yet again.

• Like 1

Cuck Fancer!

Pretty sure I met IB at a Screwpile, back in the day.

So bummed to hear about the battles facing some of the good people who post here.

Sending positive energy and healing vibes into the universe.  

On 4/25/2021 at 1:55 AM, boomer said:

Oh man, that's tough to hear. IB and his wife had us over for dinner on our way down the Chesapeake when we first started cruising back in 2012. We anchored down the river from him and he came out and picked our family up in his boat. What a nice time we had, and he offered me a car to go out and re-provision. Damned nice thing to do for some weirdo you met off the internet a couple of hours before.

Here's hoping it all comes out well for him. I'm not a praying man, but he'll be in my thoughts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Don't do this, not here, not this thread, not this man.

I know you live to escape PA and preach politics, but not here. 

This thread is about IB. Not you, not your politics.

Take your politics to any other thread on SA, but not this one. Please. 

• Like 12
3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:
5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

And in case that wasn't clear enough, let me try...... @Mrleft8 :

image.png.fe7f81c103ebd353eae42f51055343ce.png

I was fortunate to meet and spend a few days with IB a couple years ago. 

Truly a brilliant and remarkable person. 

Not only is he cherished here but civilization needs more people like him

Get well soon. 

• Like 1

I will be praying for IB and his family. I don't know him outside of his posts here, but that is enough to let me see what kind of person he is and the world is a much better place having him in it. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

This has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with health care, and the cost there of.

I apologize to anyone who thought that I was politicizing this thread, or the issue.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

This has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with health care, and the cost there of.

I apologize to anyone who thought that I was politicizing this thread, or the issue.

Any discussion of healthcare cost inevitably becomes political, to say otherwise is a bit disingenuous. Nevertheless, thank you for the apology. 

• Like 3

I don't want to bother IB but would appreciate updates from those who are in contact with him. He needs to get better as he and MoeAlpha are way up on my list of people I want to sail/have a beer/drink with.

4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I don't want to bother IB but would appreciate updates from those who are in contact with him. He needs to get better as he and MoeAlpha are way up on my list of people I want to sail/have a beer/drink with.

Both great guys. One of my regrets leaving the Chesapeake for parts unknown was not being able to spend more time with either of them. Memorable but limited time there.

• Like 1

Hi, All.

Just an update:  As of Tuesday, Larry was alert with improving numbers, but the plan was to go home on hospice care.  There’s the prospect of some good time with family, but it seems the sarcoma fight is over.  

My wife is in text communication with Lynne, but we have not been asking for updates out of respect for her time and privacy.  I will post what news I get.  

Hope everyone here is well.

Eric

• Like 15

I don't even know this person in real life.... But my heart is wrenching.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MoeAlfa said:

Hi, All.

Just an update:  As of Tuesday, Larry was alert with improving numbers, but the plan was to go home on hospice care.  There’s the prospect of some good time with family, but it seems the sarcoma fight is over.  

My wife is in text communication with Lynne, but we have not been asking for updates out of respect for her time and privacy.  I will post what news I get.  

Eric

I'm very sad to hear that.

Though it is nice to hear from you.

7 hours ago, MoeAlfa said:

Hi, All.

Eric

Damn!  Not good.  Many prayers for Larry to either beat the odds..... or to go out with as little pain as possible and with as many people around him who he loves and loves him!  

This just reminds me that the gods are fickle gods.  Bastard gods.  When someone good like Larry is struck down while shitbags roam the earth - I can't help but curse the gods!

Well, we all get to die.

All I can think of is that we should fill every waking moment with love, hope, inspiration and fun.

Mr Bystander has done that and more with the time he has spent here.

He may be shorter on time than others, but I'm pretty damn sure that that short time will not be short on quality.

Lynne just called. Lynne said, yesterday he was comfortable. His family was gathered around him and giving him comfort, and they're glad he's at peace.

Lynne also thanks everyone for their good thoughts and says he's sailing now and free. 

• Like 16

A truly wonderful person. He took time out during his treatments to call me on the phone to coach and support me on my treatments.

It takes a very special person to reach out and support others when he was dealing with his own challenges.

Fair winds Captain, I will never forget you.

• Like 6

I always learned something from IB. He was always very patient in his explanations which came from a depth of knowledge and experience yet he was still humble enough to know what he didn't know (a rarity) and definitely discreet enough to not say what he couldn't say.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 9:38 PM, Dorado said:

Commander Bystander has always been a class act around here.

Sending all the Good Vibes I can muster.

^ this ^

He was truly one of the good guys in all ways. His suffering is over, and it's good that he had time to be at peace with his family; but his passing leaves the world a poorer place.

- DSK

• Like 2

Damn...

• Like 2

He was the kind of guy I would have loved to meet, go sailing with, have a beer with. 

Fair winds IB.

• Like 3

Just couldn't bring myself to like the update from Moe but do appreciate it. CL let me know that his time was short but was too torn up to talk about it. The world and the sailing community have lost a lot.  And thanks to Boomer for keeping us informed.

I was still hoping for a miracle.  damn.

• Like 5

I’m glad that I had a chance to speak with him. He said that he really enjoyed Sailing Anarchy and the friends that he made over the years through the forums. We went through some of the names and there were many. He did not regret what was happening, he was just concerned about his wife’s future.

Go sailing and enjoy your life was the takeaway from that conversation.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, MoeAlfa said:

Eight bells for our Larry. He was at home and at peace. 

I am so sorry to hear that, but it's good he got home.

If there are any updates about any sort of memorials, please share them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’m glad that I had a chance to speak with him. He said that he really enjoyed Sailing Anarchy and the friends that he made over the years through the forums. We went through some of the names and there were many. He did not regret what was happening, he was just concerned about his wife’s future.

Go sailing and enjoy your life was the takeaway from that conversation.

When I opened this thread initially and saw the news, I said to my wife "Do you remember Lynne and Larry, who we met back in..."

And she remembered them before I finished the sentence. Even though we met them because I was dragging her to meet yet another random person I met of the internet (she's put up with meeting a lot of you weirdos), and she only met them the once and spent one evening with them almost nine years ago. Larry was that kind of a guy (and Lynne that type of gal) - kind, welcoming, generous and very memorable. Having dinner together the first and only time felt like meeting up with old friends; we hoped to be able to catch up with them on the way back some day.

Fair winds.

So sad to hear.  A good man.  That bloody disease grabs indiscriminately.

If I had my time over again, I swear I'd dedicate it to eradicating the big bad C.

51 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

(she's put up with meeting a lot of you weirdos),

Fuck you, oute of respecttes foire youre wife.....  you haffto askse "whoise the weirdo"             :)

5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Fuck you, oute of respecttes foire youre wife.....  you haffto askse "whoise the weirdo"             :)

In BJ’s defence, he has been in the antipodes long enough to absorb our distorted sense of humour.

Larry was down here long enough to get it too, never met but I have lost a real friend...

• Like 2
Just now, olaf hart said:

In BJ’s defence, he has been in the antipodes long enough to absorb our distorted sense of humour.

Thack you, a quicke 'ressette - ressette' helpes butte BJ's prone to binge 'judgementalle', he hase issues that our notte mine to discusse.............         :)

Damn, I knew I would see the post soon but I didn't expect it this soon. 

We lost one of the best for sure.  I always respected IB's calm, rational, intelligent posts, I don't ever remember anything but polite discussion  from him.  And on top of that he was a Navy pilot and landed on carrier decks at night. As an Army Vet and having worked with a lot of Navy folks while I was in the Army, I can assure you that those guys get a huge amount of respect from every branch of the Armed Forces, right below the SOF folks.  The men and women that do that on a regular basis have some serious cojones.  I would have been happy to sit down and enjoy a beverage with the man any anytime.

My most sincere condolences to his wife and family.

Respect and slow salute sir!

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

He spoke with a a quiet, honest, and well earned swagger

I just thought I would expand on your statement a little bit. 

I hope you don't mind, my apologies if you do.

Over the years, I have witnessed this forum losing various members to #*&#$*&. Some I had met personally and others I knew through 2nd person. IB was one of those people that you knew you would like to sit with and discuss the world as you knew it. Life is over too quickly and I'm getting old. I hope anyone who knew him will take solace in knowing he was one of the good ones.

• Like 5