I have looked at the manual and a few tuning guides but I can’t find a good guide that explains rig tune with the headstay adjustment. I don’t quite understand what the North guide is saying on this topic, and all I can find from Quantum is the quick tune guide. The boat has Quantum sails so I have set the shrouds to base per that guide using an RT-10 but I’m still confused about the headstay, so I realize I’ll have to do it again.

how is it set? On my 36.7 I would swing the job halyard out, mark the headstay and then measure down to the deck. I presume this is a similar procedure?

Head stay length is adjusted to give you the helm feel. weather or lee helm for the conditions. backstay sets headstay tension to adjust headstay sag , luff curve to match the sails cut.  using the jib halyard is just for reference and to find a starting point once you know that measurement. manual says 20" to 21" with the main halyard plumb to the back of the mast is a starting point.  mid point on the turnbuckle

Quantum's guide seems pretty clear? 

"Headstay ARC 2.235m (measure from top of white band at gooseneck swung out to mark headstay to deck just aft of furler"

North's guide is pretty similar: "2.22M Arc" or in Europe "225 cm"

11 hours ago, Blur said:

Quantum's guide seems pretty clear? 

"Headstay ARC 2.235m (measure from top of white band at gooseneck swung out to mark headstay to deck just aft of furler"

North's guide is pretty similar: "2.22M Arc" or in Europe "225 cm"

Thanks, yeah, I was slow when I read that the first time. It did take me a few reads to parse through.  

What do you use for base? I see North is much tighter, especially on the lowers. 

In 20+ knots, do you really do 14 to 20 turns additional from base, upto 72 on the RT-10? The RT-10 only goes to about 75. I was nervous just cranking it to base... 

I use the European North settings (with North 3Di sails) and they seem to be good. My jib is on soft hanks.

From what I understand,  the US boats have turnbuckles with a different (finer) threat, so you need to put on many more turns to achieve the same effect for your heavy weather setting.

The RT-10 reading on the lowers is not very critical as just a small adjustment makes a big difference. E.g. only half a turn of the (European) lowers increase the reading from 22 to 26.  So that may explain the difference in the Q and North guide.   But ball park the 22 is good for a base setting to my experience.

24 minutes ago, ZeeZee said:

The RT-10 reading on the lowers is not very critical as just a small adjustment makes a big difference. E.g. only half a turn of the (European) lowers increase the reading from 22 to 26.  So that may explain the difference in the Q and North guide.   But ball park the 22 is good for a base setting to my experience.

Makes sense, thanks.

We have our headstay length right at the Quantum recommendation with Quantum sails.  Tried more rake to get more helm, but it just sucked in anything over 6 knots.  Put it back to the recommendation and she lit up again.  

1 hour ago, Roleur said:

We have our headstay length right at the Quantum recommendation with Quantum sails.  Tried more rake to get more helm, but it just sucked in anything over 6 knots.  Put it back to the recommendation and she lit up again.  

Agree. I think the trim guides works very well.

Over the years we've been going harder and harder on rig tune (w tighter jib angles) as we're able to hit a very narrow sweetspot. But don't try this until your 100% of the time on the target. Will take a few seasons.

We have slightly less prebend and mast curve in the main, to get more difference between min/max backstay. We're stuck with one setting for a 600 nm offshore race and have to cope with 0-30 knots :unsure:.

• Like 1