Zeus2 died, what's next?

Two things to look at include 1) can my Zeus2 be repaired and if not worth it, 2) which B&G unit can I replace it with?

Item 1;  the Zeus2 issue is the touch screen is not responsive to any command on the top half, from horizontal midway point up.  Below the halfway point everything is normal.  Also the rotary dial scrolls ok but pressing it to select does nothing.  I have had a few discussions with Navico tech service who walked me through hard reset procedure and doing this did not resolve the issue.  Obviously warranty has expired and they won't service the unit.  They suggested that a certified dealer might help.  

Item2;  should we determine the unit cannot be fixed, can I replace it with a B&G Vulcan 7" or must I go with Zeus3 7"?  Current Zeus2 is connected to Triton autopilot/Triton display, Fusion entertainment, and wind/depth/speed sensors.  Due to cost I'd prefer Vulcan but if not compatible with existing network and instruments then the Zeus.  Or other alternative?

I just installed a Vulcan 9 it has about the same footprint as a Zeus7.  Since the Vulcan is on the bulkhead,  my plan was to get the remote control and mount it at the help.   Then I discovered the LINK app that pacts as a remote control.

Since most of my sailing is in Tampa Bay, I think that will work out fine.  If not I will spring for the remote and mount it at the helm

I have 3x Zeus3 (2 7" and a 12") in the cockpit and 1x Vulcan 12" inside.  The only things the Vulcan can't do is share charts.  It connects and controls everything on the n2k bus (fusion radio, autopilot, sees all the data), and will show the radar data.

So if you're not worried about trying to network multiple MFD's together, the Vulcan is a great buy, provided you don't care about not having real buttons / knob.

It was far cheaper for me to just buy another Navionics map card vs get another Zeus3 12".  Defender had them on sale for $999 with a $200 rebate during their warehouse sale last month...

I’m not sure exactly which model, but I’m 99% sure that’s just a rebranded Simrad display. It’s not hard to transfer the software. That’d open up the used replacement options  to a much larger (and probably cheaper) market. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SimonGH said:

A brand new 12” for $799 is a very good deal...

21 hours ago, SimonGH said:

I have 3x Zeus3 (2 7" and a 12") in the cockpit and 1x Vulcan 12" inside.  The only things the Vulcan can't do is share charts.  It connects and controls everything on the n2k bus (fusion radio, autopilot, sees all the data), and will show the radar data.

So if you're not worried about trying to network multiple MFD's together, the Vulcan is a great buy, provided you don't care about not having real buttons / knob.

It was far cheaper for me to just buy another Navionics map card vs get another Zeus3 12".  Defender had them on sale for $999 with a $200 rebate during their warehouse sale last month...

I got concerned about compatibility when the Navionics tech service stated that they don't recommend mixing brands.  Your experience negates that.

23 hours ago, Snore said:

I just installed a Vulcan 9 it has about the same footprint as a Zeus7.  Since the Vulcan is on the bulkhead,  my plan was to get the remote control and mount it at the help.   Then I discovered the LINK app that pacts as a remote control.

Since most of my sailing is in Tampa Bay, I think that will work out fine.  If not I will spring for the remote and mount it at the helm

An app supporting mobile access control?  Sweet!  I have to reconsider Vulcan.

Update on working with third party certified repair, local to me is Felix Marine in ft ************.  Ruling out unnecessary cost, will submit my Zeus2 for repair evaluation before making final decision.

33 minutes ago, rksailsolo said:

I got concerned about compatibility when the Navionics tech service stated that they don't recommend mixing brands.  Your experience negates that.

Confused by this comment - both Zeus and Vulcan are B&G and are running basically the same OS.  All the same features and interface.  No fixed controls, and no chart sharing is the primary difference.

But ultimately N2K is a standard that generally enables interoperability between different brands as long as they conform to the NMEA standard.  The Fusion for example is Garmin and integrates nicely, and I have several yachtdevice N2K adapters to feed things like tank levels and engine data to the bus and ultimately the MFDs.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:31 AM, SimonGH said:

Confused by this comment - both Zeus and Vulcan are B&G and are running basically the same OS.  All the same features and interface.  No fixed controls, and no chart sharing is the primary difference.

But ultimately N2K is a standard that generally enables interoperability between different brands as long as they conform to the NMEA standard.  The Fusion for example is Garmin and integrates nicely, and I have several yachtdevice N2K adapters to feed things like tank levels and engine data to the bus and ultimately the MFDs.

Yes, as I heard from the navionics tech guy I partially believed it.  Good logic, thanks for that.

• 3 months later...

sorry to hear this. it may sound a little mercenary but if you do scrap your zeus 2, might we be able to buy the rotary dial button from you? ours is now at the bottom of lyme bay! 

Many thanks 

Claire Spiers 

Update on this.

Although B&G says it can't do it, I am currently sharing one chart card between qty 3 Zeus3 (2x 7", 1x 12") and 1 Vulcan 12" display on the same network.

They are all connected via N2k and Ethernet, so they all share the charts as well as HALO radar overlay.

I have 2 separate chart cards because it wasn't supposed to work, but when i was pulling the chart cards to update them on my laptop, the charts didn't drop off as i expected them to when i pulled the card from the Zeus.  Been running that way ever since - one card in the Vulcan and all the MFDs show the same Navionics charts.

So then the only difference I can determine is the lack of physical controls (button/knob).  The new 12" vulcan is very fast too.

13 hours ago, SimonGH said:

Although B&G says it can't do it, I am currently sharing one chart card between qty 3 Zeus3 (2x 7", 1x 12") and 1 Vulcan 12" display on the same network.

They are all connected via N2k and Ethernet, so they all share the charts as well as HALO radar overlay.

So then the only difference I can determine is the lack of physical controls (button/knob).  The new 12" vulcan is very fast too.

Good to know thanks, I have a (very slow) 9 inch Zeus 2 at the nav station I'm considering upgrading, and was thinking a Vulcan 9 inch. I have a Zeus 3 at the helm and was concerned about chart sharing. According to this chart, everything works but that:

https://www.bandg.com/en-gb/bg/type/chartplotter/

Of course B&G could change this in a future firmware update but I would say it's a good bet it keeps working. 

right - that's the same chart I saw too, so I was prepared with a second card.

Ultimately the cost differential of adding the second card is still worth it.  I paid $799 for a Vulcan 12 from Defender.  No way I'd get a Zeus3 12" for anywhere near that....

2 hours ago, SimonGH said:

right - that's the same chart I saw too, so I was prepared with a second card.

Ultimately the cost differential of adding the second card is still worth it.  I paid $799 for a Vulcan 12 from Defender.  No way I'd get a Zeus3 12" for anywhere near that....

Yup. I don't understand why B&G competes with themselves like that. although I suppose if the Vulcan was out in the sun and weather the Zeus might be the better choice, but for inside, I can't justify the cost difference.