Not sure where to put this so I’ll put it in general. These two items came with my (used) boat. Along with a lot of other stuff, but these two things allude me. Any idea what either of these would be used for? They came with a 14’ catboat. 

75CFCB11-4148-4190-A5DE-302D5F7074EC.jpeg

Upper one looks like a batten install/removal helper.

Don't know what the bottom one is.

Throw it away, the next day you'll find out what they used it for.;)

• Like 9
6 hours ago, See Level said:

Upper one looks like a batten install/removal helper.

Don't know what the bottom one is.

Throw it away, the next day you'll find out what they used it for.;)

Yes looks like a batten pusher or as my sail maker calls it a 'Batten pocket fucker'.

• Like 1

If thisse wase in GA I woude detaille the mysterey cylindrincalle metal objectes founde thisse paste weekende whille removeng mtn lauralle by the dineng roome windowe.......                        :)

• Like 1

I'll have a go.
Yes the top item could be a batten tool. But frankly how often do catboats remove their battens a likeroll the sail?
So my guess is they both serve a similar purpose.
The stick goes between the gaps in the floorboards to check the bilge without having to lift up the floorboards and look.
The PVC pipe with Tee on end is put on the end of the bilge pump hose, the  PVC is then pushed into the bilge through the finger hole used to lift up the floor boards. Since it is an electric bilge pump, the Tee is there so you can close/seal it off to create suction using the palm of your hand. It the suction results in something getting sucked up , you simply release your hand to break the suction.

Just a guess really......

• Like 2

I would guess the wooden object is a dipstick for checking the liquid level in some tank.

I would furthermore guess that the PVC pipe is a handle / handle-extension for a manual head pump.

I guess I didn’t really show any scale. The pvc is 1.5” ID. The whacking stick is pretty apt. It’s about the right size to paddle a large Amish gentleman. Way too big for a batten removal tool. I have no head, proper bilge so to speak or anything like that. I guess it’s a mystery. Thanks for trying. Like mentioned I’ll jus toss them. I’ll need em both the next day. At first I was thinking for some sort of June pole arrangement but the mast is easily stepped by hand. 

6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

If thisse wase in GA I woude detaille the mysterey cylindrincalle metal objectes founde thisse paste weekende whille removeng mtn lauralle by the dineng roome windowe.......                        :)

I didn’t put those beer cans there!!

Top one to push the centerboard down, second one, white trash tiller extension. 

Never throw anything out that came with a boat, let the next owner scratch his or her head and come up with a use for them.

• Like 6

Top one looks like a turd cutter for the days that the patrons of the head have not ingested sufficient fiber.  AKA a Hand Masticator, for those who don't have electric masticating heads.  

4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Top one to push the centerboard down, second one, white trash tiller extension. 

Never throw anything out that came with a boat, let the next owner scratch his or her head and come up with a use for them.

Ahhh. That makes sense. I did have an instance where centerboard seemed to hang up, I thought I was on a shoal but maybe that’s it.  I have a battle stick that came with, but I do wonder if it’s some sort of prop for the tiller. To keep it in place. 

On 4/26/2021 at 12:32 PM, Lex Teredo said:

Top one looks like a turd cutter for the days that the patrons of the head have not ingested sufficient fiber.  AKA a Hand Masticator, for those who don't have electric masticating heads.  

Reminds me...

After I bought my boat I was able to have the previous owner meet me and go over stuff. The guy was 83 years old with long crazy hair, mostly deaf, still pretty spry.  I had a list of a half dozen “WTF is this” items. One was a length of hose with a piece of PVC on the end. 

“And what’s this one?”  “That’s the head sucking hose.”  “Excuse me?”  “Head sucking hose.”  “OK, and so, explain.”  “Sometimes the head loses suction and doesn’t pull water in, so you have to hook this up to the intake hose on the toilet and suck water in to prime it.”  “Wow, OK, I haven’t heard of that before. What do you use to suck the water in?”

”Your mouth. You suck on it. Like starting a siphon.”

I figured the old bastard was fucking with me and moved on. A week later the head didn’t work. I replaced the joker valve, that didn’t work. Replaced the other flapper valve, checked the hose clamps, replaced the hoses. No luck. So, days later I am frustrated, there at the mooring by myself, looking at the head sucking hose, thinking “nobody would see me try this. No one would have to know...”

• Like 2
On 4/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, llama said:

Not sure where to put this so I’ll put it in general. These two items came with my (used) boat. Along with a lot of other stuff, but these two things allude me. Any idea what either of these would be used for? They came with a 14’ catboat. 

75CFCB11-4148-4190-A5DE-302D5F7074EC.jpeg

yes low tech batten tool and homemade pipe?

18 hours ago, axolotl said:

I have one. Definitely a batten loader for velcro style batten retainers, although primitive wood instead of hi-tech fiberglass.  Allows you to control/adjust batten compression from none to high.

North Sails Instructions

Because all catboat mains should have compression battens??

The items go together 

Is the screen still in the bowl on that giant pot pipe?? 

The beauty of the white PVC bowl is how it teaches lighter happy fools not to hold the damn flame over the pot and torch it rather than smoke it. 
The pipe’s use:

The generous smoker who is willing to share his stash but doesn’t want some idiot asshole to waste it fills the bowl with some leaves from his humidor and carefully packs the bowl. Then he says, 

“Here. Blow out every bit of air you can tgen put the long end in your mouth. Hold your palm over the end and the lighter over the pot. Light the pot  so it just barely smolders. You want to create S much smoke as possible while avoiding actually burning the very flammable THC. The object is to create smoke. As soon as it starts making a little smoke get the lighter the hell away from the pot and plastic bowl. if you get one bit of burned black on the white plastic  I will smack you on the head with this stick !! When your lungs are almost full, remove your palm from the end and suck the last of the smoke from the long shaft. “

***Thanks for the memories you just brought up. I haven’t smoked pot and tried to race a sailboat since the 1972 Erie Yacht Club Singlehanded championship regatta. 
Somehow I managed to win but I was totally fascinated by the looks of the sail while tacking and a couple times  forgot to switch sides of the boat and dumped. 

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I haven’t smoked pot and tried to ....

<lmao>

Last time I smoked pot on a boat that wasn't tied up to a dock, was when I was in the middle of a raft of boats in the Newport Harbor turning basin watching the Christmas boat parade with a bunch of friends.

At some point the boat on the inside of us needed to bail, so it made sense for me to detach, circle around, and then come back in and reconnect to the raft.

So I did.  Nice and slow, no sudden moves, you know, all careful-like

When I got back into the raft a guy on the next boat over asked "where'd you go?"  Uhhhh... just around in a circle?  "yeah, but you were gone for over an hour"

<O_O>

• Like 1
2 hours ago, llama said:

Little big for a batten stuffer no?

Nope, FG b/carbon battens can be quite thin but the Velcro leech pocket can be quite wide for maximum compression when inserting them. Believe me I can insert the battens with nearly no compression or push really hard on the Velcro stuffer and affect mainsail trim.  Of course the reverse is useful, shove the stuffer between the Velcro an pull on the string and you can easily get the batten out.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, sledracr said:

When I got back into the raft a guy on the next boat over asked "where'd you go?"  Uhhhh... just around in a circle?  "yeah, but you were gone for over an hour"

<O_O>

Yup! lol.gif.b6ba2838f9708dd411cee89125aa8fed.gif

9 hours ago, axolotl said:

Nope, FG b/carbon battens can be quite thin but the Velcro leech pocket can be quite wide for maximum compression when inserting them. Believe me I can insert the battens with nearly no compression or push really hard on the Velcro stuffer and affect mainsail trim.  Of course the reverse is useful, shove the stuffer between the Velcro an pull on the string and you can easily get the batten out.

I again will say, how many catboats do you know that have compression battens? That sort of Velcro strap batten pocket would be way bto much overkill and expense for a 14' catboat main.
I think who ever said centerboard push stick probably got this right. I sort of recall we carried old broken battens in the catboats the school I went to had for exactly that reason...... ya know, second half of last century!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, some dude said:

Elude

Not allude 

Stay in school, kids 

Yes. Correct. You win the spelling bee. Thanks for calling out my error and alluding to my level of education. 

• Like 1
On 4/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, Lex Teredo said:

thanks for the visual..

On 4/26/2021 at 12:56 AM, Zonker said:

Top one is a "Whackin' Stick"

Traditional amongst the Amish and the Mennonite.

paddlin.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, quod umbra said:

I again will say, how many catboats do you know that have compression battens? That sort of Velcro strap batten pocket would be way bto much overkill and expense for a 14' catboat main.
[  .  .  .  ]

Woopsie, I missed it's a 14' catboat.

3 hours ago, axolotl said:

Woopsie, I missed it's a 14' catboat.

No worries. I sort of figured that seeing as you repeated it. Which is why I mentioned it in my second post responding to you.
Sorry if it sounded dickish on my part..... it's an internet thing!!
In any event my appieologies. :)

3 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

@some dudeno comment on masticator vs. macerator (masticating vs. macerating)?

Funny. Years ago I was working on a project with an engineering team. The lead engineer, who had a good sense of humor, states we need to get some masticated rubber. I looked at him and said, 'why would anybody need masturbating rubbers? Is that even a thing?" End of meeting, off to the bar for a few beers.