Improving Stanchion Bases

I was noticing that the support that wraps around the stanchion socket and is welded on to the base of the stanchions used on J Boats seems prone to failure at the weld.  

The support is of relatively small diameter for the loads that would be exerted on the stanchion by a 200lb human and there's little surface area for the weld. 

I was wondering if there are beefier alternatives that fit the same footprint and hole patterns as the original stanchions. 

Any insight is appreciated. 

39F35475-1EA6-4A5E-B6FB-1E411C7041D5.jpeg

We've had stanchions bent 60" by unfortunate incidents involving late night docking, bad combinations of tide, wind and dock piling; but have never had one fail at the base.  

The glass underneath and nearby core gets squishy and delaminated before they break, in our experience.  I am worried about flexing the deck and damaging the glass, and am installing G-10 backing plates bedded in thickened epoxy with high strength filler. Maybe we'll break a stanchion at the base now.  I doubt it.  

Your mileage may vary. 

6 minutes ago, Quickstep192 said:

The ones I’m working on have both broken where the reinforcement is welded to the base. 

Old and rusty...could crevice crack corrosion be a factor?

Do your J/Boat stanchions have "back legs"? Not sure what the proper term is but race boat stanchions generally have a leg (gate?) that screws into the deck 6-12" inboard of the stanchion to support hiking forces. You could probably retrofit some if you had welding skills.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, Quickstep192 said:

Interesting... thanks for the info. 

The ones I’m working on have both broken where the reinforcement is welded to the base. 

Seen a number 105s break the small bar when they clip a snatch block to it for an outboard lead. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 7:44 AM, Quickstep192 said:

I was noticing that the support that wraps around the stanchion socket and is welded on to the base of the stanchions used on J Boats seems prone to failure at the weld.  

The support is of relatively small diameter for the loads that would be exerted on the stanchion by a 200lb human and there's little surface area for the weld. 

I was wondering if there are beefier alternatives that fit the same footprint and hole patterns as the original stanchions. 

Any insight is appreciated. 

39F35475-1EA6-4A5E-B6FB-1E411C7041D5.jpeg

Choose higher quality hardware 

B0686E32-0E7D-455F-B987-1F332B7B7CC6.thumb.png.1c78ffdef6082735637a251c29e72319.png