Clapton, Hendrix, Spinal Tap

Clapton, Hendrix, Spinal Tap: which is the best ever guitar solo?

To pinpoint the best guitar solo we need some criteria. It must have appeal beyond those prowess-adulating progheads who know their pentatonics from pinched harmonics. Nor can it be too obvious. As the Wayne’s World screenplay says, “NO STAIRWAY!” Furthermore, it cannot involve Eric Clapton. London’s graffiti may have pronounced him “God” in the 1960s, but Clapton was soon usurped by Jimi Hendrix and later spouted racist drivel.

Lemmy was rarely impressed by rival bands’ faster and fancier solos. “It’s just playing scales,” he noted.

Probably my favorite guitar/bass number - Frank Zappa and Jack Bruce. Definitely my fav bass work. Frank was a political animal, so all good.

8 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

To pinpoint the best guitar solo we need some criteria. It must have appeal beyond those prowess-adulating progheads who know their pentatonics from pinched harmonics. Nor can it be too obvious. As the Wayne’s World screenplay says, “NO STAIRWAY!” Furthermore, it cannot involve Eric Clapton. London’s graffiti may have pronounced him “God” in the 1960s, but Clapton was soon usurped by Jimi Hendrix and later spouted racist drivel.

Lemmy was rarely impressed by rival bands’ faster and fancier solos. “It’s just playing scales,” he noted.

I rest my case.   You boomers.....   LOL

SRV

• Like 1

Comfortably Numb is indeed somewhere near the top of the list for "guitar solo for the ages" -- it's a perfect fit into the song, and there's millions of people that would recognize it instantly. But what's "best?" All y'all would need to define the parameters to what means "best." Of course, there is no best guitar solo of all time. There's lots of them. 

"It must have appeal beyond those prowess-adulating progheads." Well that rules out Eruption IMHO.

It also rules out Paul Gilbert. But hey, break the rules, let's give the solo here a whirl - notice how Linus accentuates Paul's solo here. Best solo ever? no. But it's pretty cool if y'all be a  metal proghead. They gotta get a point or two for the space suits. 

"If it wasn't for this guitar, I might be running the streets, practicing law or medicine "

Just because

Deniz Tek

Over a career spanning more than 40 years as a guitarist and songwriter, Deniz Tek has been remarkably consistent, though not necessarily prolific. Tek, who is best known for his work with the Australian proto-punk band Radio Birdman, averages a studio album or EP release every two to three years, and has often gone several years between releases. However, he has a few other strings to his bow. By the time Radio Birdman released their scorching debut EP Burn My Eye in 1976, Tek was already studying medicine. He became a flight surgeon with the US navy, where he also trained as a fighter pilot, and now divides his time between rock’n’roll and working as a trauma surgeon in in Australia and Hawaii. Clearly, he’s not one of those musicians who’s at a loss when they haven’t got a gig lined up.

19 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Just because

indeed , because there ain't any other reason for that garbage to be here .

1 minute ago, Mid said:

indeed , because there ain't any other reason for that garbage to be here .

You'll be telling me that the Clash are garbage next.

Punk guitar solo is kinda a oxywhatsit :D

Robin Trower probably did Hendrix better than Hendrix, or SRV, but he was far more versatile than either of the others. Trower, and Beck together.... With Rory Gallagher, and Gary Moore..... Maybe throw in Mike Bloomberg....

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

You'll be telling me that the Clash are garbage next.

Punk guitar solo is kinda a oxywhatsit :D

The Clash aren't trash, but way overrated and not punk at all.  The Ramones and Nirvana were trash.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

The Clash aren't trash, but way overrated and not punk at all.  The Ramones and Nirvana were trash.

IYHO.

Never cared that much for Nirvana (my opinion only) But the Ramones? They were Gods. :D

You'll be dissing Mr Osterberg next 

James Williamson.

Just now, Shortforbob said:

IYHO.

Never cared that much for Nirvana (my opinion only) But the Ramones? They were Gods. :D

Of course IMO.  I respect everyone's musical taste.  The Ramones were louder buddy Holly and not original at all.  Boring 3 chord shit with lame lyrics.

we may blame the OP for this inclusion of all this garbage , after all , spinal tap were included in the same breath as EC & Hendrix ...

2 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

I respect everyone's musical taste

wot about those sans taste ? :D

Just now, Mid said:

we may blame the OP for this inclusion of all this garbage , after all , spinal tap were included in the same breath as EC & Hendrix ...

Whatever, it's a fun distraction from having a boring President just getting shit done pleasantly.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here. enjoy

Guitar solo's?

It's a bit like when one is forced to endure " an evening with (insert random woman's name) and friends and the double bass player goes off on a frolic of his own.

There are a few exceptions but few are memorable.

Now great guitar riffs OTOH ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mid said:

wot about those with good sans taste ? :D

You lose it and gain humour and endorphins  :D

I used to be too snobby to appreciate 

• Like 1

If only Randy Rhoads wasn't killed in a stupid, freak accident when he was 25 we'd still be hearing about him.

By all accounts he was a serious musician who sought out a lesson in every city when he was on tour, and trained on classical guitar.

Before his death, he'd planned to leave Ozzy's band to study classical.

Rhoads was killed on March 19, 1982. I was lucky enough to see Ozzy's show in Cincinnati on Feb 12th.

Some overlaps

Second, longer, better solo is at 4:20

25 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Heh. Are our grandkids going to be awed or embarrassed  when we're pogoing in the nursing home :D

might depend if you're wearing a bra or not.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, hobie1616 said:

Star Spangle Banner by Hendrix.

10 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Star Spangle Banner by Hendrix.

No question of the talent behind it playing live at Woodstock, but that is a painful song to listen to.  

Around 25 years ago, a (late) friend of mine and I got drunk (as usual) and decided to figure out who the top 10 rock guitarists were.

We stopped at 100.

Anyway, with Woodstock on the list now, how about Alvin Lee's Ten Years After performance on Goin' Home?

I suspect that this is limited to Rock, by some definition, and that's why the likes of Muddy Waters, BB King, Keb Mo, Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Robert Cray, etc. haven't shown up yet? (Not enough 'scales'?)

2 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Around 25 years ago, a (late) friend of mine and I got drunk (as usual) and decided to figure out who the top 10 rock guitarists were.

We stopped at 100.

Beers or guitarists?  Note the question posed by the OP was the best guitar solo, not the best guitarist.  They are distinctively different.  

Peter Frampton?

4 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Beers or guitarists?  Note the question posed by the OP was the best guitar solo, not the best guitarist.  They are distinctively different.  

I saw that, but then thread drift ensued, so I chimed in. I mean . . . Blondie vs. T.Rex? C'mon Mel! Not even close to the same genre.

And we didn't stop drinking beer for another 15 years or so (well, 10 for Billy, RIP).

• Like 1

Sometimes the best lead, and/or solo guitar is the bass guitar.

But back to 6 string....

J.Robbie Robertson. THE BAND "King Harvest (has surely come)"

26 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

I saw that, but then thread drift ensued, so I chimed in. I mean . . . Blondie vs. T.Rex? C'mon Mel! Not even close to the same genre.

And we didn't stop drinking beer for another 15 years or so (well, 10 for Billy, RIP).

Did I say it was?

Just thought I'd treat you to Harry doing Bolan badly :D

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

... how about Alvin Lee's Ten Years After performance on Goin' Home?

I'd forgotten about Alvin Lee.  Saw him with Ten Years After at Winterland and when he opened with Ten Years Later for Kansas at the Cow Palace.  Guy can play!

4 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

I'd forgotten about Alvin Lee.

reminded me 

Larry Carlton's solo in Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne.

... and here's why:

I like to think that a good solo has some musical meaning within the song. Fretboard wanking is not it.

Lots of fine guitar on Steely Dan records. Google  Kid Charlemagne solo, and you will find endless pages of people analyzing, demonstrating, and idolizing those couple of bars of music.

Jay Graydon's solo on "Peg" is another one. At least six big-name studio players (NOT including Larry Carlton!) solos on that track were rejected before Jay G. nailed it.

As far as "compositional" solos, Hendrix on The Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing are up there, along with a whole host of Dave Gilmour's stuff.

I could also mention a bunch of Clapton solos............

9 minutes ago, Happy said:

Lots of fine guitar on Steely Dan records.

22 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

No question of the talent behind it playing live at Woodstock, but that is a painful song to listen to.  

Nope, America has always been stressed and that represented us beautifully.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2021 at 11:15 PM, roundthebuoys said:

Of course IMO.  I respect everyone's musical taste.  The Ramones were louder buddy Holly and not original at all.  Boring 3 chord shit with lame lyrics.

That's 90% of "pop" music if you change it to "3 or less chord shit"

What you're saying is that you don't like the Ramones. Fine, you don't have to. Leaves more for the rest of us  ;)

On 4/28/2021 at 9:49 PM, Ishmael said:

"Play guitar?"

"Yes"

"How good are you?

"I'm so good that Jimi Hendrix played bass for me"

- DSK