Jump to content

Wtf happened to the GOP?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the point that gets lost so often in these discussions: the American political spectrum isn't normal by global comparison. We have no real fringe left, and very little actual left. Joe Bi

Found the answer to the question.     

Posted Images

 

The Republican Party is just a name. The bulk of it is a populist, nationalist party led by Donald Trump… The Republican Party, pre-2016, are the modern Whigs.

Steve Bannon

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/06/trump-run-2024/619207/

Fascist uses fewer syllables than populist-nationalist, but sure. Note to Jeff: the nationalism he mentions here has nothing to do with patriotism which is why my two syllables are more accurate than his one, two, three, four, five, six, seven ... seven syllables.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

This is where TFG should be reinstated as dictator again, in August. Buy the ticket, take the ride. It will be.....

image.png.5ec7c32d93863bb29da6347e7a7b1c70.png

All avoidable.   The crew were vaccinated but still developing an immune response when they tested positive.   Whatever executive decided not to waste vaccine on his employees until just before sailing deserves to have the expense of an idle ship docked from his salary.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Olsonist said:

It only takes one side to decide that a civil war has started. Whether or not the other side acknowledges it and responds accordingly is immaterial. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ammon Buddy is running for Governor of Idaho.

Ted Cruz says we’re are in the verge of a conservative revival in ‘22 and ‘24.

The Dark Ages returneth.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sean said:

This guy needs to burn. A dozen years isn’t enough  

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/09/former-hill-aide-pleads-guilty-child-porn-498937
 

4F02A95B-7815-4BE8-BD44-04FB82F3F84F.jpeg

Bubba and the boys at the Graybar Hotel will have a warm welcome for him.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Bubba and the boys at the Graybar Hotel will have a warm welcome for him.  

His immediate future.

Pick up the soap Felix: PewdiepieSubmissions

Longer term.

Cheap Coffins for Cremation - Cheapest Prices, Free Delivery + 100%  Guarantee

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.f71ee6a512c39ef14000a8d582ea7c08.png

https://politicalwire.com/2021/07/13/youngkin-backs-out-of-debate-with-mcauliffe/

Even Fox News is harsher on the former Carlyle Group CEO, calling it a donation to a Bush-Clinton charity.

Youngkin cites 11-year-old donation by moderator to Bush-Clinton charity, lack of assurances that economy would be topic

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

As long as he isn’t a democRAT he’s alight, right bullshitters?

giphy.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a word used to describe Youngkin’s behavior; chickenshit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

from 2003......

this is from a non msm website, so the bias is not known. However the characteristics are spot on.

https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/fasci14chars.html

 

Political scientist Dr. Lawrence Britt recently wrote an article about fascism ("Fascism Anyone?," Free Inquiry, Spring 2003, page 20). Studying the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), and Pinochet (Chile), Dr. Britt found they all had 14 elements in common. He calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism. The excerpt is in accordance with the magazine's policy.

The 14 characteristics are:

  1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
    Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

    e.g. MAGA
     
  2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
    Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

    Uh huh.
     
  3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
    The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

    Yuppers.

     
  4. Supremacy of the Military
    Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

    Just luck the majority of the military still respects the constitution
     
  5. Rampant Sexism
    The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy.

    JFC, there are still substantial parts of the GOP / voters who say out loud homosexuality is a choice, and that choice forbidden by the bible (not that the bible should be used as a basis for anything)
     
  6. Controlled Mass Media
    Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

    I think this point has evolved over time. While the GOP would absolutely love to control MSM, that is too hard, so instead simply attempt to control perception of the news instead "lies / fake news etc"
     
  7. Obsession with National Security
    Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

    I'd go further - flaming the looming loss of electoral power held by white and the religious right 
     
  8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
    Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

    Thoughts and prayers. National prayer day. Religious rwnj as government sponsored pastoral leaders. Prayers at the start of government meetings. 

     
  9. Corporate Power is Protected
    The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

    Uh huh.
     
  10. Labor Power is Suppressed
    Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed .

    I used to think unions were a complete pain in the ass, because they had too much power back in the 60' through '90s. These days either the working class just need to refuse to work for shitty pay and conditions, or re-unionize. 
     
  11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
    Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts.

    All educamation does is breed socialism / communists / etc.        Im proud of being dumb!
     
  12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
    Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

    Overfund the police!   Give 'em military equipment. etc etc.
     
  13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
    Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

    to paraphrase T Jnr.....       but everybody does it!
     
  14. Fraudulent Elections
    Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.

     
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

from 2003......

this is from a non msm website, so the bias is not known. However the characteristics are spot on.

https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/fasci14chars.html

 

Political scientist Dr. Lawrence Britt recently wrote an article about fascism ("Fascism Anyone?," Free Inquiry, Spring 2003, page 20). Studying the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), and Pinochet (Chile), Dr. Britt found they all had 14 elements in common. He calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism. The excerpt is in accordance with the magazine's policy.

The 14 characteristics are:

  1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
    Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

    e.g. MAGA
     
  2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
    Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

    Uh huh.
     
  3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
    The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

    Yuppers.

     
  4. Supremacy of the Military
    Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

    Just luck the majority of the military still respects the constitution
     
  5. Rampant Sexism
    The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy.

    JFC, there are still substantial parts of the GOP / voters who say out loud homosexuality is a choice, and that choice forbidden by the bible (not that the bible should be used as a basis for anything)
     
  6. Controlled Mass Media
    Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

    I think this point has evolved over time. While the GOP would absolutely love to control MSM, that is too hard, so instead simply attempt to control perception of the news instead "lies / fake news etc"
     
  7. Obsession with National Security
    Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

    I'd go further - flaming the looming loss of electoral power held by white and the religious right 
     
  8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
    Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

    Thoughts and prayers. National prayer day. Religious rwnj as government sponsored pastoral leaders. Prayers at the start of government meetings. 

     
  9. Corporate Power is Protected
    The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

    Uh huh.
     
  10. Labor Power is Suppressed
    Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed .

    I used to think unions were a complete pain in the ass, because they had too much power back in the 60' through '90s. These days either the working class just need to refuse to work for shitty pay and conditions, or re-unionize. 
     
  11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
    Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts.

    All educamation does is breed socialism / communists / etc.        Im proud of being dumb!
     
  12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
    Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

    Overfund the police!   Give 'em military equipment. etc etc.
     
  13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
    Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

    to paraphrase T Jnr.....       but everybody does it!
     
  14. Fraudulent Elections
    Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.

     

Clearly a bias in favor of DemocRATs.  Why, it has "rat" in the URL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

I guess Vermin thinks the guy who sells books online and is about to blast himself into space is also sitting in the copy room of his newspaper.  Busy guy.

Nice try...:D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Republicans using voter suppression tactics on themselves. 
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/the-kids-are-not-alright-chaos-at-the-college-republican-national-committee/

Strong, stable leadership at the top of the CRNC is doubly important because the chairman wields so much power within the organization. At their discretion, they may decertify certain state college Republican conglomerates (usually called federations) and admit others.

If students are under the impression that the whole edifice is corrupt, or rigged, they are far less likely to become members and door-knockers in the short term, and party activists or even officeholders in the long term. A number of students and recent graduates who hold paid leadership positions in the group told National Review they are under that exact impression.

They claim that the race to become the next chairman of the CRNC has been derailed and delegitimized by the underhanded actions of outgoing chair Chandler Thornton, and Southern Regional Vice Chair Courtney Britt — Thornton’s preferred successor. Whether Thornton and Britt ultimately succeed in this aim will be determined at Saturday’s CRNC convention, where states will cast their allocated votes for either Britt or Western Regional Vice Chair Judah Waxelbaum.

 

Well, where some states are set to vote.

The CRNC allocates votes to states based on chapter membership rolls submitted to it in February, which are then reviewed by an outside auditing firm. After this initial round of credentialing, 22 states were not allocated any votes — an unusual and “alarming” occurrence, according to CRNC treasurer Ty Seymour.

States are then permitted to appeal by asking for votes if they did not receive any, or asking for more if they believe themselves to be so deserving based on the numbers. The credentialing appeals meeting was held this past Sunday, July 11 and was presided over by an outside arbitrator, Jay Goldstein, who was hired by Thornton.

Thornton scheduled the meeting for 3 a.m. Pacific Time, which many involved saw as a way of making things difficult on Waxelbaum — who is from Arizona — and the coalition of states supporting him.

The results of the meeting shocked Waxelbaum and his supporters.

 

“Every single state that has endorsed me was denied their appeal, and every single state that my opponent was granted their appeal,” Waxelbaum explained to National Review. “My opponent’s home state of Virginia was increased from 4 votes to 7. So, for context, Virginia currently has more votes than California, New York, and Florida combined.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

 

All of America's problems reduced to a single quote.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

She is a Harvard grad. She's an Establishment FiCon who thinks she can ride the SoCon mechanical bull at the local bar. Cheney wasn't so different.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

 

An incredible public display of stupidity. It's almost inconceivable that she doesn't know how stupid this is, and thus understands that the R's base are dumb as stumps. 

Not very far from "Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings."

But thinking about that, even President Camacho had enough sense to let the "smart guy" come up with how to fix it. Ms. Stefanik would not. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Olsonist said:

 

And some call the GOP stupid!  This IS the ticket, in fact, Elise, the best thing one could possibly do to end the threat of socialized medicine would be to expand Medicare to cover dental and all the other specialties and extend it to everyone.  Check and fukin' mate on those damn socialists!  

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mark K said:

And some call the GOP stupid!  This IS the ticket, in fact, Elise, the best thing one could possibly do to end the threat of socialized medicine would be to expand Medicare to cover dental and all the other specialties and extend it to everyone.  Check and fukin' mate on those damn socialists!  

  

Dental health and cardio health are closely linked.

Medicare will pay for your heart attack treatment (For a while), but they won't pay for dental preventative care.

 A dime of prevention is worth a dollar of treatment and recovery.

 Why are people so against this stuff?

 You'll see (as I did today) a guy wearing a MAGA hat, missing most of his teeth railing against vaccination, and welfare.... BUT he's pulling in $750 a month from SSDI while still living at his parent's house at age 66. (He was sitting outside the convenience store drinking beer because his parents don't allow alcohol in the house, and the local bar hadn't opened yet)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

 

 You'll see (as I did today) a guy wearing a MAGA hat, missing most of his teeth railing against vaccination, and welfare.... BUT he's pulling in $750 a month from SSDI while still living at his parent's house at age 66. (He was sitting outside the convenience store drinking beer because his parents don't allow alcohol in the house, and the local bar hadn't opened yet)

The life most men live, but only in their dreams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Olsonist said:

She is a Harvard grad. She's an Establishment FiCon who thinks she can ride the SoCon mechanical bull at the local bar. Cheney wasn't so different.

 

Looks like it's almost mandatory to be as big as the bull before you get on it.

Is that some sort of fairness thing?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@El Mariachi  @quod umbra dudes, this GOPPER R-eichista congress-critter spouts insane non-sequiturs like what is below because she thinks you are really, really dumb . .   She went to Harvard, so she cannot possibly be so dense as to believe her own words. Can she be that dumb ? Can y'all ? 

Are you so dumb as to nod and say "Yes Boss !!" 

Today’s Anniversary of Medicare & Medicaid reminds us to reflect on the critical role these programs have played to protect the healthcare of millions of families. To safeguard our future, we must reject Socialist healthcare schemes.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I stole this from Peter Zeihan but I think he's generally correct.  This is much closer to the current GOP.  Trump hollowed out the pragmatists and economic conservatives types and replaced them with populists who don't care about the traditional republican talking points of budget, defense, blah blah.  Those days are gone.  You've been voted off the island.  There is no such party.

 

image.png.1b848fcc214d76c7f1f0af1f2024e786.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sean said:

Popped up on my FB feed this morning. He nailed it -

 

 

C8833C18-0E29-4456-BA5C-7C3AE0966314.jpeg

Fascist demagoguery is nothing new. The Greek city-states struggled with it... so has the USA but this latest episode is virulent

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm, and why don't the reTurdlicans care for a democratic system... hmmm... golly, guess this attempted power-grab shit is as transparent as a pane of glass. 

fuck right-wing ideology, everywhere.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.419bdb8acc49c2aed0bfbb84dcd03a64.png

https://apnews.com/article/health-education-coronavirus-pandemic-school-boards-72f1fe01dd98c1ebb0560a2faf0bd0e1

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — All 73 Tennessee House Republicans signaled their support on Wednesday for a special session to limit the authority of local officials to make rules aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19, as lawmakers fumed over mask requirements in a handful of school districts.

Phil Valentine was unavailable for comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

image.thumb.png.419bdb8acc49c2aed0bfbb84dcd03a64.png

https://apnews.com/article/health-education-coronavirus-pandemic-school-boards-72f1fe01dd98c1ebb0560a2faf0bd0e1

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — All 73 Tennessee House Republicans signaled their support on Wednesday for a special session to limit the authority of local officials to make rules aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19, as lawmakers fumed over mask requirements in a handful of school districts.

Phil Valentine was unavailable for comment.

It’s a death cult. No one gets out alive. (I’ve been on the water or on the move to/from. Did Phil become a martyr or a RINO?)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It’s a death cult. No one gets out alive. (I’ve been on the water or on the move to/from. Did Phil become a martyr or a RINO?)

Water is good. I'm all choked up about this, but Phil's been doing his best Deep Throat imitation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, shit. Phil is still alive. He needs our T&P to move on to the promised land as soon as possible. Just fukkin die already, Phil. 

 

(I've become a not-nice person lately... Wonder why...(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It’s a death cult. No one gets out alive. (I’ve been on the water or on the move to/from. Did Phil become a martyr or a RINO?)

Then hurry up and die already

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Then hurry up and die already

Waste of oxygen and bed space. Move him to the parking lot, close to the morgue semis to make it easier.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...