Corsair 31 - Replacing bolt rope with slugs...

I few weeks ago, we had the bolt rope get stuck when the main was up.  We're now using slugs, but we need a longer (say 8") slug that we can use to support the load of the head when especially when we are reefed.  Has anyone seen, make, bought such a slug?  If so, details and pictures would be nice....

TIA,

Bo

What slugs did you put on?  The allslip slugs will likely do the trick (https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=slugs).  For the head I used 2 at the head itself, then one at the angle batten and one between that batten and the head.  But I also had a rebated headboard bracket that I made which stiffened the head up significantly (smaller boat, F242).  

I don't see them on the sailrite link....  I'll have to ask sail maker.  He is of the opinion that if I put them too close together near the top they will jam.  Here is the top one that separated.

IMG_2910.jpg

So, that slug just came apart at the top?  Must have been a nasty mess up there.  Did the broken barrel come out of the track when you lowered the main?

I think two slugs could jam if too close together and what kept mine from doing that was the headboard which extended down the luff six inches and the two slugs were separated enough to keep them from interfering with one another.  An outhaul slug might work better for you; but those are pretty substantial steel and more weight aloft than you probably want.  Another option (since you are speaking with your sailmaker), is to sew a short length of batten down the first few inches of the head along the luff.  This should allow use of multiple slugs without jamming.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MultiThom said:

So, that slug just came apart at the top?  Must have been a nasty mess up there.  Did the broken barrel come out of the track when you lowered the main?

I think two slugs could jam if too close together and what kept mine from doing that was the headboard which extended down the luff six inches and the two slugs were separated enough to keep them from interfering with one another.  An outhaul slug might work better for you; but those are pretty substantial steel and more weight aloft than you probably want.  Another option (since you are speaking with your sailmaker), is to sew a short length of batten down the first few inches of the head along the luff.  This should allow use of multiple slugs without jamming.  

Great idea, thanks!

7 hours ago, Groucho Marx said:

Slugs are simpler but .... true high performance boats require better aerodynamics, meaning no draggy gaps between rotating mast and sail luff. Just saying.

How much of a gap do you see?  The bolt rope is against the mast.

20210425 SpringSeriesRace2-AYC-LakeTravisTX (196).JPG

20210321 1-OpeningSeriesRace3-AYC-LakeTravisTX (22).JPG

heavier and stiffer rope for your bolt rope, plenty of room in those masts.
Had to get a sailmaker to change one on a new sail as the sail kept jamming

How about a 'Tides Marine' add on track? I crew on a F31 with a carbon rotating mast and a fat head main. The system works well, just add extra slugs up top.

I should add that it's not much help when the masthead crane gets sucked down into the spar as happened last Saturday! That will stop your gallop!

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

Not sure.

It is rotating, carbon and on the heavy side.

The previous owner was racing the BVI Spring Regatta years ago against us and Soma. We were beating up the channel between Peter and Norman islands and a real nasty squall came through. By all accounts he (Scott) rounded up and the mast simply shook itself in half just shy of the upper spreaders. We had our own issues having only fitted our new dagger board the day before but that's another story.

mast.jpg

Groucho, you missed my point...  The gaps are tiny if at all and the slugs are not exposed to the wind at all.  I'd prefer using a bolt rope, but we have a problem with the bolt rope on this sail, so we added slugs to run in the bolt rope groove and the gap that we have is very small if there is any gap at all.  That was the fastest cheapest way to fix the sail.

Looks like that mast needs to be faired....

7 hours ago, Groucho Marx said:

Think you missed my point; I was talking about draggy, turbulent slugs and gaps, not about internal and aerodynamically clean bolt ropes.  As illustrated.

sid'smastsail.jpg

Does add some drag, but not much more than those reef grommets, batten pockets, and other "stuff" on your sail.  When you consider that the original poster chose to put slugs on because his boltrope STUCK at the top (boltrope presumably squeezed and seized) and he couldn't get the sail down, you can probably understand why he made the switch.  Others make the switch to make it easier (possible) to raise the mainsail with shorthanded or weak crewmembers (at least that was my excuse).  Happy that I did since it also becomes possible (not easy) to shorten sail while going downwind.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, racinginparadise said:

I should add that it's not much help when the masthead crane gets sucked down into the spar as happened last Saturday! That will stop your gallop!

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

Needs more downhaul. :p

• Like 1

On my F 27 I got fed up with chafe related jams of the main until I instellad Tidesmarie system , what a relief.!

I have no shares in Tidesmarine !

14 hours ago, racinginparadise said:

Not sure.

It is rotating, carbon and on the heavy side.

The previous owner was racing the BVI Spring Regatta years ago against us and Soma. We were beating up the channel between Peter and Norman islands and a real nasty squall came through. By all accounts he (Scott) rounded up and the mast simply shook itself in half just shy of the upper spreaders. We had our own issues having only fitted our new dagger board the day before but that's another story.

mast.jpg

Other than the foot, your mast looks identical to mine.  Carbon + heavy = Omohundro (now Southern Spars).

On 4/26/2021 at 6:13 PM, gbkersey said:

I few weeks ago, we had the bolt rope get stuck when the main was up.  We're now using slugs, but we need a longer (say 8") slug that we can use to support the load of the head when especially when we are reefed.  Has anyone seen, make, bought such a slug?  If so, details and pictures would be nice....

TIA,

Bo

The top 2 slugs on my main (45 sqm) are those:  

(this one is damaged,  the central part that slides in the grove is nearly ripped off, but it lasted 4 seasons)

as U can see they are very wide and have some « friction pads » on each angle, so they provide a good support area for the top battens.

Prior to those there were normal slugs, the main was a nigthmare to handle. Those solved the problem.

I dont know where to get them (the sailmaker neither apparently but that’s another story)

2BBF4A38-E301-4D12-B89F-D6D96D37F27E.jpeg

• Like 1