office desk chairs....seriously

5 minutes ago, dacapo said:

where have I been?  ho lee phuk a simple nice looking desk chair is $1000..........

I resisted paying a lot for a chair in my home office for years. When I started to work from my home office full time, my back began killing me after the first month. I finally sprang for an Aeron, which was my favorite from working in other folks offices. It was worth every penny, no more back pain.

Aeron - Office Chairs - Herman Miller

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, LenP said:

I resisted paying a lot for a chair in my home office for years. When I started to work from my home office full time, my back began killing me after the first month. I finally sprang for an Aeron, which was my favorite from working in other folks offices. It was worth every penny, no more back pain.

I would spring for that I like the modern look............BUT ..............the woman I chose to spend the rest of my days with would hate how that looks and those rest of my days would grow short :P.  (too modern for her)  

26 minutes ago, dacapo said:

where have I been?  ho lee phuk a simple nice looking desk chair is $1000..........

pic ?

I also have an Aeron but I am a bit disappointed with it.  I find the arms are too low.   I also put a pillow behind my lumbar.   I think there are chairs that would fit me better at lower cost.  However, now that I have it, I am not giving it up. 

Chairs, like clothes, need to exactly fit the individual.  

31 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I also have an Aeron but I am a bit disappointed with it.  I find the arms are too low.   I also put a pillow behind my lumbar.   I think there are chairs that would fit me better at lower cost.  However, now that I have it, I am not giving it up. 

The chair I have has fully adjustable arm height and lumbar support, so it was just turning some knobs to tune it to fit me perfectly. I thought that was standard on all of them, guess I was fortunate when I made my purchase because I was working off the assumption they all had roughly the same feature set. 

29 minutes ago, LenP said:

The chair I have has fully adjustable arm height and lumbar support, so it was just turning some knobs to tune it to fit me perfectly. I thought that was standard on all of them, guess I was fortunate when I made my purchase because I was working off the assumption they all had roughly the same feature set. 

I have adjusted the arms as high as they will go.  Still not enough...

I have adjusted the lumbar support to the maximum.  Still not enough....

Judge a chair by how it feels, not by how it looks.

I spent most of my life designing, and making custom furniture. Chairs (especially rocking chairs) are one of the most difficult things to design. Everyone has slightly different dimensions, and comfort requirements. A set of 12 dining room chairs end up being something of a compromise because so many anonymous people will end up sitting in them, but not all day every day. An office/desk chair that one person uses should fit that person like a glove... Literally. You should feel like you're being held in a giant, gentle cupped hand.

That said, $1,000 for a really comfortable, long lasting mass produced chair seems reasonable. Or for about twice that you can probably find someone to design and build you a chair that's everything you want, and it'll be a one of a kind family heirloom 3 generations from now.

I have a $750.00 Ergo chair we got from another plant.   Love it, but everyone else uses the cheap crappy vinyl chairs.....

I paid ten bucks for 4 real decent & comfy swivel office chairs a few years back. I really only need 2 but I said wtf, they might come in handy someday.

And damned if I wasn't right ....:lol:

Screenshot_2021-02-12-16-58-48~2.png

Screenshot_2021-02-12-16-58-42~2.png

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

the woman I chose to spend the rest of my days with would ...................... :P.

2 hours ago, Mid said:

pic ?

makes for a better read :)

5 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Big-Ball-Chair.jpg

you can make believe you're a giant chicken..

Or an oyster.....

2 hours ago, LenP said:

I was able to get a lightly used Aeron after we all started working at home last year at a local surplus office furniture place. $550

2 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Aerons have a couple models, some more adjustable 

13 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I’ve been told but don’t have first hand knowledge that gamer chairs are even better

My wife got me a gamer chair for my downstairs desk. They are quite comfortable.

Most importantly they have a high height adjustment for those who are tall. 

No - I don't game.

Gaming Chairs

2nd the gamer chair. I bought a horrid lime green thing on amazon for like $200 (obviously nobody liked the color, I shirley don't) 

Far more comfortable that the "real" ergo chair in my actual office at work. 

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I spent most of my life designing, and making custom furniture.

Did I ever recommend a little Canadian movie called "A Simple Curve" to you? If not, find it and watch it.

I find the best solution is a little pop up program that says "hey sit up" to stop me slouching is the best way to stay comfortable.

I bought a used office chair at the thrift store for $5 last Sept. Excellent lumbar support. Couple of weeks later, I realized said chair got tossed because the seat cushion padding wasn't, and the chair was a tad too low. $30 at Amazon later, I got this Travelmate cushion.

6 months later it is still like new, has saved my bony butt, and hasn't taken a permanent set. Hate to guess how many hours I have on it. 

91rOQiF9jTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mr Clew bought 2 Aeron chairs, one for home and one for the office he has not been in for 14 months. It better be there.

The Back Store where we got it sent a guy to set the first one up to fit his every part. It has a long seat so it's not great for me but whatever keeps him happy. I have a chair downstairs I paid $700 for in 1993.  Don't skimp on your back.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Did I ever recommend a little Canadian movie called "A Simple Curve" to you? If not, find it and watch it.

I find the best solution is a little pop up program that says "hey sit up" to stop me slouching is the best way to stay comfortable.

Some people (very smart people, the best in their field, Some of them even went to prestigious schools, like The Wharton School of Beeswax) have said that a weak back is not the result of bad posture, but rather that bad posture is the result of a weak back...

I don't know. I didn't go to Wharton.

19 hours ago, LenP said:

This, except for existing back pain. My take was to avoid it in the first place.

I started my working life as a mechanic on tanks and trucks. Some years later I decided to give graphic design a go, got my degree and started working from home and freelancing right away. Point of the story: I know how very expensive professional tools can be in blue collar land and that makes a decent chair, desk, mouse and lightning look cheap in comparison.

Given the hours one spends sitting in that chair it might as well be a very good one. Same goes for beds.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:40 AM, dacapo said:

Been through a couple in the last year as I had to get mine from the office, get another from amazon and then one in Chicago from office dep.  Anywhoo, Paying extra for the good stuff is totally worth it.  My office chair work bought about 10 years ago after my first hip surgery is a tank and still going strong.  I looked it up when they got it for me, it ran about a grand retail back then.  As to the others..  Anything in the 10-500 range is basically the same.  The guts on my 2 new purchases are exactly the same.  The biggest diff is the lumbar and doohickies.  The new ones have 2 levers.  My good one has 4 and a squeeze ball thingy plus memory foam that is still going strong.  Ya gets what ya pay for..  

On 4/27/2021 at 6:33 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Some people (very smart people, the best in their field, Some of them even went to prestigious schools, like The Wharton School of Beeswax) have said that a weak back is not the result of bad posture, but rather that bad posture is the result of a weak back...

I don't know. I didn't go to Wharton.

Bad posture and/or a weak back is a sign of weak core strength.

Having lived in the "furniture capital of the US" all my life, I was blessed with having Steelcase and Herman Miller products available knowing someone who worked there. (everyone seemed to work there). The amount of office furniture and desks available after the latest upgrade in on office complex allowed me to get very good desks and chairs cheap. We use to have races down the hill in front of my shop of office chairs. Hell on the wheels though.

Some people find that Aerons cut off circulation just above the knees. The Chadwick chair is the lesser known but more comfortable successor to the Aeron. Last I checked, new prices were similar, but used prices for Chadwick were much lower.

With all the tech companies cancelling leases in SF and Silicon Valley, there should be a massive glut of ergonomic chairs, adjustable desks and other extremely comfortable office gear.