Jump to content

Norwester on the rocks (aka who let Rob drive)


Recommended Posts

 

Looks like someone hit a rock up by Stuart on the maiden voyage. They euphemistically refer to it as grounding but....

They're now trying to raise 1.5 milli to keep her from turning into a reef, which... Yeah.

Anyone recognize the location?

https://norwesterfoundation.org/?fbclid=IwAR1LBrAVAYcZyEeJlNdhF4zF23piIwANRiedZqxkkBqZj2LaWnzDMefwsRA

 

 

Screenshot_20210427-070541.png

Screenshot_20210427-070534.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Breamerly changed the title to Norwester on the rocks (aka who let Rob drive)

The skipper and whoever was driving, didn't consult their GPS, depth sounder, chart or any of the pilotage booklets available, including online.

"The safest entrance into Prevost Harbor is in the middle of the west channel between Charles Point and west of Satellite Island. Stay in the middle of the channel as one turns East by SE into the harbor until you’re adjacent to the park dock. Once inside Prevost Harbor, there are water anchorages available if the park buoys and dock are full. It would be wise to consult your charts before your arrival. Several well-charted shoals lurk beneath the surface, and boaters tempted to take shortcuts may find themselves unhappily impaled on barnacle-covered rocks."

 

Prevost Harbor.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That can't sit there grinding away long before it's a gonner.

Best of luck...  beautiful boat.

Not my cup of tea, nor does the Hollywood connection tug on heartstrings, but a sad ending none-the-less.

Paging Leo to the courtesy phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Windward said:

That can't sit there grinding away long before it's a gonner.

Best of luck...  beautiful boat.

Not my cup of tea, nor does the Hollywood connection tug on heartstrings, but a sad ending none-the-less.

Paging Leo to the courtesy phone.

methinks Leo is quite busy for the foreseeable future...

They're trying to raise 250,000$ just to get her off the rocks... and according to the last entry (4/23) on their blog they had some nasty weather coming their way - anybody local with some more recent news? Not holding my breath for the boat...

And by the way, why weren't they insured?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry..... but anyone that makes a mistake like that is not worthy of owning/operating a boat like that.  

The entire situation was entirely avoidable.  As alpha says, "where's the insurance?".

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful boat, but wow, the ignorance of the owner/skipper on this one on both lack of insurance and driving into a well charted shoal.

 

Remind me to start a go-fund me when I feel ready to move up from my current boat to a new J/45 or similar. Might as well get you suckers to pay for it, I will say thank you at the very least.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, would it not make more sense to donate the $1.5 Million to the charity they are trying to raise money for? Seems it would be better used by them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of ours hit that rock at speed, the bow lookout went right over the pulpit into the chuck (as they deserved to after not seeing the rock). They managed to get to a dock and get some pumps running ASAP, or they would have been decorating the bottom too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Goatish said:

Also, would it not make more sense to donate the $1.5 Million to the charity they are trying to raise money for? Seems it would be better used by them.

I'd like to see the financials on this... charity and see who it benefits the most.

Who made the decision to go yachting without insurance and what fucktard was driving? What was the speed, was it excessive for that reef strewn area or was the hull in poor shape?

An ignominious end to a storied vessel. I'd love to have been on one (OK, all of) John Wayne's pirate parties aboard.

 

I took a quick look but came up with nothing on an AIS tracker.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest is that the charity (John Wayne Cancer Foundation) that they claimed they were in partnership with has told them to stop using their name as there was no agreement between them....  Insurance company pumped the fuel out of the boat, but no more - a liability only policy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the gofundme page: "The Norwester, a beloved and historic 76-foot boat iconic to the Pacific Northwest, hit unmarked rocks..."

From the bystanders video linked above:

402184829_Screenshot2021-04-28134901.png.f80320fca551543287c1e89c0c2ca9e7.png

 

The whole thing looks dodgy as fuck...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knowing jack about the foundation or the location of the grounding (other than looking at the chart above, which looks pretty obvious to me), possibly Hanlon's applies:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any skullduggery here beyond the ordinary culture of idiotic grifting but has come to define modern America.

These guys clearly had some sort of low-grade scam they were trying to legitimize through charity - 'Cancer ride Instagram boat lets us have yacht for free' or thereabouts.

Combine that with it-can't-happen-to-me/rescue-is-always-available exceptionalism, and it's not hard to see how you would get some doofus joyriding while the drone does circles overhead and thinking he's covered on a liability-only policy. Through one of the more notoriously rocky, gnarly harbor entrances around, to boot.

I also could give a shit about John Wayne, who was an explicit racist and bigot who made movies that glamorized a dumb, brutal part of America's past, and was a John Birch society member who shilled for the UAC.

Only shame I can see is it happening to a pretty boat - but it wasn't even a sailboat, so not that big of a shame. Glad it gave some shipwrights a year or two of groceries before it happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in Prevost Harbor dozens of times.  There's a friggin' state park and a public dock in there, fer cripes sake.  Thousands of little and big pleasure boats go in there every season using the main channel or sneaking out the east channel.  My boat has a 9' draft and I never have a worry in the main channel at all,  The south channel is 8' deep at MLLW.  There aren't any uncharted rocks in there.   There are some well charted rocks that don't happen to have a large sign pointing at them saying "Don't Hit This!".

IMHO, the only reason for driving that vessel up on those rocks is drunken incompetence combined with steering failure. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I've been in Prevost Harbor dozens of times.  There's a friggin' state park and a public dock in there, fer cripes sake.  Thousands of little and big pleasure boats go in there every season using the main channel or sneaking out the east channel.  My boat has a 9' draft and I never have a worry in the main channel at all,  The south channel is 8' deep at MLLW.  There aren't any uncharted rocks in there.   There are some well charted rocks that don't happen to have a large sign pointing at them saying "Don't Hit This!".

IMHO, the only reason for driving that vessel up on those rocks is drunken incompetence combined with steering failure. 

Okay, not exactly the back stairs to Mordor, but plenty rocky (even if they are charted). Certainly not the place to be focused on hamming it up for the camera/ladies/whatever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In honour of Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino can we say that whoever was driving "did a Schettino"?  

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

In honour of Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino can we say that whoever was driving "did a Schettino"?  

 

I like, "He pulled a Schettino", better!! :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

Okay, not exactly the back stairs to Mordor, but plenty rocky (even if they are charted). Certainly not the place to be focused on hamming it up for the camera/ladies/whatever.

The urge for captains to show of for girls is a popular pastime in the San Juans.  A few years ago, a captain ran a Washington State ferry on a reef while showing his girlfriend his new beachfront house - swinging into a cove about a half mile off his route.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

The urge for captains to show of for girls is a popular pastime in the San Juans.  A few years ago, a captain ran a Washington State ferry on a reef while showing his girlfriend his new beachfront house - swinging into a cove about a half mile off his route.  

That was the Elwha (c1983). There's a picture of the grounding hanging on the wall in the Bellingham USCG station (or was last time I was in there). Oh, and don't forget the memorable song.

And, of course, the drink.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The M/V Elwha had a quarter-million dollar gash in her hull after a captain ran aground to impress that woman.

Soon thereafter the woman in question began being referred to as “the Siren of the San Juans” and local bars began selling a drink called “Elwha on the Rocks.”

"Elwha on the Rocks" was recorded by the Friday Harbor-based Island City Jazz Band shortly thereafter.

Elwa on the rocks

 

Elwa on the Rocks.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, Autonomous said:

I'd like to see the financials on this... charity and see who it benefits the most.

Who made the decision to go yachting without insurance and what fucktard was driving? What was the speed, was it excessive for that reef strewn area or was the hull in poor shape?

An ignominious end to a storied vessel. I'd love to have been on one (OK, all of) John Wayne's pirate parties aboard.

 

I took a quick look but came up with nothing on an AIS tracker.

 

Friend of mine found a post online about this yesterday, looks like they hoped to raise $100,000 in the first year to donate, and increase that over the next few. So, I still think if they really wanted to help fight Cancer, they would request the 15 years worth of future donations go straight to Cancer research, and just deal with the removal of the boat and shut the F up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomer said:

The M/V Elwha had a quarter-million dollar gash in her hull after a captain ran aground to impress that woman.

Soon thereafter the woman in question began being referred to as “the Siren of the San Juans” and local bars began selling a drink called “Elwha on the Rocks.”

"Elwha on the Rocks" was recorded by the Friday Harbor-based Island City Jazz Band shortly thereafter.

Elwa on the rocks

 

Elwa on the Rocks.jpg

Great old time sound.  Don't hear it too much anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Anyone in the know have an update?

Thanks.

Apparently when they hit the reef.....they also killed the Geico lizard who was snorkeling there....

Link to post
Share on other sites
"YESTERDAYby Rick RutherfordOrganizer
After seeing the boat and the toll this last week has taken on her, we are sorry to say we do not think the boat is capable for restoration.
We had a more detailed video footage made of the keel, which looks like it's no longer in tact. For people who are unfamiliar with boat terms this basically means her spine is broken.
We've always said that the Norwester has a soul, when we visited her on April 27th, her soul was gone. As hard as that was to see and feel, it has eased the constant pain and distress of trying to get her off the reef..." 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those assholes destroyed a wooden boat for, I suspect, personal gain. I'd like to drag the whole lot of those involved in for a thorough (rectal, class 1) investigation.

Speed at impact? Would a structually sound vessel really break it's back that easily? Other than paint what did the expensive rebuild they brag about really entail?

Navigation devices/methods in actual use?

Who was at the helm, were they watching where they were going?

Other than getting others to pay for a cool boat what other benefits were recieved?

Or am I just wrong?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

united states coast guard

1. A PARTIALLY SUBMERGED 76 FOOT WOODEN VESSEL SURROUNDED BY A POLLUTION
BOOM HAS BEEN REPORTED ADRIFT IN HARO STRAIT IN APPROXIMATE POSITION
48-38.740N 123-16.170W. MARINERS ARE URGED TO MAINTAIN A SHARP LOOKOUT AND
EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN TRANSITING THE AREA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

united states coast guard

1. A PARTIALLY SUBMERGED 76 FOOT WOODEN VESSEL SURROUNDED BY A POLLUTION
BOOM HAS BEEN REPORTED ADRIFT IN HARO STRAIT IN APPROXIMATE POSITION
48-38.740N 123-16.170W. MARINERS ARE URGED TO MAINTAIN A SHARP LOOKOUT AND
EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN TRANSITING THE AREA.

Adrift? Ok, but this shit is getting more Alice-in-Wonderlanding weirder & weirder by the f'ng day......

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

It appears she is escaping to Canada……at least that is what the Lat-Lon seems to be saying.

Well she better have a negative Covid test, a clean criminal record and a job lined up before she gets to the border.....or they're just gonna turn her around and kick her ass back to the States....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Well she better have a negative Covid test, a clean criminal record and a job lined up before she gets to the border.....or they're just gonna turn her around and kick her ass back to the States....

That position was already in Canadian waters. I see no further news about the wreck from either the USCG or the CCG, which is a little odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Navigation devices/methods in actual use?

Who was at the helm, were they watching where they were going?

If you dig into the updates on the Gofunder, one of the owners piped in.  Claims that they just did an update to the Garmin chart plotter the night before.  Said it showed 30’ of water at that location (basis of the “uncharted rock” claim I suppose).  Also says the guy was driving and was not involved in the filming and not distracted.  Further, says there was a $1 million insurance on the hull, but claim was denied beyond pumping out the fuel.  This is of course only that one side of the story, but I do smell litigation against the insurer and probably Garmin at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NaClH20 said:

If you dig into the updates on the Gofunder, one of the owners piped in.  Claims that they just did an update to the Garmin chart plotter the night before.  Said it showed 30’ of water at that location (basis of the “uncharted rock” claim I suppose).  Also says the guy was driving and was not involved in the filming and not distracted.  Further, says there was a $1 million insurance on the hull, but claim was denied beyond pumping out the fuel.  This is of course only that one side of the story, but I do smell litigation against the insurer and probably Garmin at some point.

Hope they took the Garmin off the boat so they can verify that claim.  That would be interesting if it turns out to be true. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

That position was already in Canadian waters. I see no further news about the wreck from either the USCG or the CCG, which is a little odd.

Yes, looked like she had crossed the line, where are the Canadian Forces when they are being invaded?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can @SloopJonB grab it and stick some JB weld on the bottom for the new SA flagship?

Can't be all that hard.

If the owner couldn't figure out how to (or want to) refloat the boat, yet Mother Nature did so unassisted, I am sure the hole is fixable

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Windward said:

Can @SloopJonB grab it and stick some JB weld on the bottom for the new SA flagship?

Can't be all that hard.

If the owner couldn't figure out how to (or want to) refloat the boat, yet Mother Nature did so unassisted, I am sure the hole is fixable

It's wood - just nail some plywood over the holes and call it good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

If you dig into the updates on the Gofunder, one of the owners piped in.  Claims that they just did an update to the Garmin chart plotter the night before.  Said it showed 30’ of water at that location (basis of the “uncharted rock” claim I suppose).  Also says the guy was driving and was not involved in the filming and not distracted.  Further, says there was a $1 million insurance on the hull, but claim was denied beyond pumping out the fuel.  This is of course only that one side of the story, but I do smell litigation against the insurer and probably Garmin at some point.

wonder if it had a functional deep meter on it. I dont care how new my charts are electronic or otherwise, i'd sure like to  have a functional depth sounder for peace of mind. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

wonder if it had a functional deep meter on it. I dont care how new my charts are electronic or otherwise, i'd sure like to  have a functional depth sounder for peace of mind with the alarm set

 

FTFY.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

If you dig into the updates on the Gofunder, one of the owners piped in.  Claims that they just did an update to the Garmin chart plotter the night before.  Said it showed 30’ of water at that location (basis of the “uncharted rock” claim I suppose).  Also says the guy was driving and was not involved in the filming and not distracted.  Further, says there was a $1 million insurance on the hull, but claim was denied beyond pumping out the fuel.  This is of course only that one side of the story, but I do smell litigation against the insurer and probably Garmin at some point.

 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I just checked my Garmin charts of the area against the NOAA chart. The Garmin contours seem to be conservative.

Pilot error. It happens.

 

Given the amount of traffic by vacationing yahoos in that harbor, if the "updated" Garmin was actually showing 30' of water where that mystery rock was located, there would be a pile of plastic power boats stacked six deep on that spot.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

 

Given the amount of traffic by vacationing yahoos in that harbor, if the "updated" Garmin was actually showing 30' of water where that mystery rock was located, there would be a pile of plastic power boats stacked six deep on that spot.  

They're not called Bayliners for no reason.....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Hope they took the Garmin off the boat so they can verify that claim.  That would be interesting if it turns out to be true. 

There’s probably a line on the back of the set and in the owner’s manual saying, “Not to be used for navigation.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of takeaways from this might be along the lines of:

1) Local Knowledge is a very helpful thing (nobody in their right mind would have tried to take that route into that bay in anything with more draft than a dinghy, especially at that point in the tide);

2) Charts, charts, charts. And FFS, quit watching yourself on the plotter. It's helpful, but not in close quarters. (IOW: quit watching yourself navigate on TV.)

3) As already mentioned, the depth sounder is your friend.

4) Sailors are infinitely more cool than powerboaters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 9:31 PM, Ishmael said:

I just checked my Garmin charts of the area against the NOAA chart. The Garmin contours seem to be conservative.

Pilot error. It happens.

rob2.thumb.jpg.0e506d1f369db6118d4442f4048138de.jpg

is this in in the same general vicinity as the Norwester? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

united states coast guard

1. A PARTIALLY SUBMERGED 76 FOOT WOODEN VESSEL SURROUNDED BY A POLLUTION BOOM IS ADRIFT IN HARO STRAIT, LAST SIGHTED IN APPROXIMATE POSITION 48-34-28.8N 123-11-51.0W, SOUTH OF KELLETT BLUFF. MARINERS ARE URGED TO MAINTAIN A SHARP LOOKOUT AND EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN TRANSITING THE AREA

 

She is back in the USA just off the south end of Henry Island west of San Juan Island.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

united states coast guard

1. A PARTIALLY SUBMERGED 76 FOOT WOODEN VESSEL SURROUNDED BY A POLLUTION BOOM IS ADRIFT IN HARO STRAIT, LAST SIGHTED IN APPROXIMATE POSITION 48-34-28.8N 123-11-51.0W, SOUTH OF KELLETT BLUFF. MARINERS ARE URGED TO MAINTAIN A SHARP LOOKOUT AND EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN TRANSITING THE AREA

 

She is back in the USA just off the south end of Henry Island west of San Juan Island.

 

Ohhhh...maybe she'll get sucked into Mosquito Pass and go visit the yachties at Roche Harbor!  The home away from home in the San Juans for drunken powerboat jockeys

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kimbottles said:

united states coast guard

1. A PARTIALLY SUBMERGED 76 FOOT WOODEN VESSEL SURROUNDED BY A POLLUTION BOOM IS ADRIFT IN HARO STRAIT, LAST SIGHTED IN APPROXIMATE POSITION 48-34-28.8N 123-11-51.0W, SOUTH OF KELLETT BLUFF. MARINERS ARE URGED TO MAINTAIN A SHARP LOOKOUT AND EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN TRANSITING THE AREA

 

She is back in the USA just off the south end of Henry Island west of San Juan Island.

 

Sounds like she bolted and took her corral with her.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...