what is the purpose of a 5 hold clew plate for a jib

friend of mine got a new jib with a 5 hole clew plate.   our boats have a jib car / track ..   what would the point of the 5 hole clew plate?  I could see the use if you had a fixed jib block you could attach to a different hole to adjust the head sail...  I don't see the point when the jib car is adjustable...

They're used on E-Scows too. The jib tracks are transverse and there's no barber hauler, so track position controls angle of attack, hole position together with sheet tension controls shape.

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

friend of mine got a new jib with a 5 hole clew plate.   our boats have a jib car / track ..   what would the point of the 5 hole clew plate?  I could see the use if you had a fixed jib block you could attach to a different hole to adjust the head sail...  I don't see the point when the jib car is adjustable...

it changes the trim profile of the sail in the absence of adjustable leads... top hole rounds the foot and tightens the leech, bottom hole flattens the foot and twists off the leech and the three in between are lesser degrees of each... the middle hole is “base”. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

it changes the trim profile of the sail in the absence of adjustable leads... top hole rounds the foot and tightens the leech, bottom hole flattens the foot and twists off the leech and the three in between are lesser degrees of each... the middle hole is “base”. 

Sounds handy.

It's to remove the anodising from your mast?  Most masts are too stiff low down, so this should gradually fix this.  Also, helps keep the jib clew down in light winds, kind of like a gravity vang.

If you like your clew board on a boat with tracks, you might also be interested in our new spinnaker pole designed exclusively for sprit boats, we have a new keel bucket in development for those windy downwind legs, and of course the ever popular self adhesive tell tales, with glue at both ends, so you never have a droopy tell tale spoiling your view.

• Like 13
13 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

What kind of boat?  Any chance it’s a one design that didn’t originally have tracks?  The sailmaker may have built the jib to OD specs. 

2 hours ago, maxstaylock said:

It's to remove the anodising from your mast?  Most masts are too stiff low down, so this should gradually fix this.  Also, helps keep the jib clew down in light winds, kind of like a gravity vang.

If you like your clew board on a boat with tracks, you might also be interested in our new spinnaker pole designed exclusively for sprit boats, we have a new keel bucket in development for those windy downwind legs, and of course the ever popular self adhesive tell tales, with glue at both ends, so you never have a droopy tell tale spoiling your view.

I need some of those upgraded tell tales!

4 extra ways to fuck up your jib trim?

But, yeah, if you have tracks it's redundant

12 hours ago, Monkey said:

What kind of boat?  Any chance it’s a one design that didn’t originally have tracks?  The sailmaker may have built the jib to OD specs. 

first off not my boat....    not technically one design,  they're 50 year carl alberg designed day sailors that we race the fuck out of them.. they originally came with jib tracks..    the new jib was copied from a jib the previous owner of the boat had made...    and yes to me, it seems like an awful lot of metal to have at the end of the jib      i was just curious to see if there were advantages to the construction that I might have missed..

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

first off not my boat....    not technically one design,  they're 50 year carl alberg designed day sailors that we race the fuck out of them.. they originally came with jib tracks..    the new jib was copied from a jib the previous owner of the boat had made...    and yes to me, it seems like an awful lot of metal to have at the end of the jib      i was just curious to see if there were advantages to the construction that I might have missed..

There goes my theory. 

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

The only place I have seen them is on boats with a self-tacking jib on a traveller. Without that, they are just shin whackers.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, maxstaylock said:

+1

Hole Clew Plate on self tacking jibs:

• Will never de-anodize the mast as the J measurement is always less than the distance forestay base to mast
  • If the height of the sail can not be changed (which would be a way to change the sheet angle) this is the only way.
  • On on of the yachts (38 ft) I regularly sail we attach on beam reaching the outfucker barberhauler to the top hole of the plate
  • The only issue to be aware of is when working on the foredeck (e.g. gybing the jib including a pole) is that the plate can easily split your head

large-ST-800-2.jpg

It’s always great to see posts where posters just can’t be bothered to understand the OP’s question, and just want to blub on about their own knowledge!

The OP knows what a clew board does, and it’s not self tacking.

For what it’s worth, I reckon the de-anodised mast is the best reason on here, I’d go with that!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the five hole hard clew board is there expressly to bug the shit out of old salts, who on their way to their boat, have to pass by a modern lazy cruiser's self tacking headsail which is often left at the dock untouched for days or weeks w/o a full couple of wraps on it to secure the furled headsail in case of a squall or worse.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:00 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Sounds to me like the MFO should have given the sailmaker better instructions. "By the way, I have an adjustable track, please put in a single clew ring.":rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Sounds to me like the MFO should have given the sailmaker better instructions. "By the way, I have an adjustable track, please put in a single clew ring.":rolleyes: 

actually he wanted it just like a composite sail that came with the boat   and that jib had one on it...

5 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Sounds like he got what he ordered then! :)

correct.  he's happy, in fact he got two jibs, one's smaller, they both have the 5 hole clew,  he only uses the middle hole...   i was just curious if there were any inherent advantages since personally i wouldn't want that much weight there as the summer approaches and the wind fades...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

actually he wanted it just like a composite sail that came with the boat   and that jib had one on it...

Well that's solved that then. He simply doesn't like the bowman.